HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "Captain Caveman" Edition: Nashville Predators vs. Shea Weber 8/2/2011

Closed Thread

Old
08-02-2011, 09:32 AM
RaiderDoug

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I still want to know why everyone is assuming that poile is the problem here when a much more likely scenario is Weber is refusing to sign anything more than one year, for reasons known only to him.

If Im in Poiles shoes and I know that I cant get more than one year no matter what then I have zero to lose and possibly a million or more dollars to gain by going through with the arbitration. Its a little too late to worry about hurt feelings.

What I am anxious to hear is not Poiles comments but Weber's. Hopefully he mans up and explains why he only wanted a one year deal and we can put all this to rest.
+1

We can blame DP all we want, but it's starting to look like the the nightmare scenario is coming to fruition - Weber doesn't want to be here.

I just have a hard time seeing DP putting together such a bad offer and then taking this to arb with a player who would mean so much to this franchise long-term.

What's more likely, DP has offered a substandard contract for a #1 D-man (with all we have to spend), or Weber won't committ longterm so there's really no reason to play nice anymore?

Old
08-02-2011, 09:35 AM
predfan24

Quote:
I still want to know why everyone is assuming that poile is the problem here when a much more likely scenario is Weber is refusing to sign anything more than one year, for reasons known only to him.

If Im in Poiles shoes and I know that I cant get more than one year no matter what then I have zero to lose and possibly a million or more dollars to gain by going through with the arbitration. Its a little too late to worry about hurt feelings.

What I am anxious to hear is not Poiles comments but Weber's. Hopefully he mans up and explains why he only wanted a one year deal and we can put all this to rest.
Saving a million dollars is not worth the potential strain arbitration can put between Weber and managements relationship.

I have to agree 100 percent with Trig. This offseason has failed to capture any momentum left at the end of the year. Whether that is managements fault or not I don't know. It's really irrelevant.

Old
08-02-2011, 09:35 AM
Top 6 Spaling

I've said it before, and I'll say it until people believe it.

Weber choosing one year over two years means he wants to be in Nashville. Had he signed a two year deal, I would be on the Weber wants out bandwagon, but he didn't. He simply wants Poile to prove a committment to winning before singing here long term.

I cant see inside Shea's head, but the one year deal means he wants to be in Nashville.

Old
08-02-2011, 09:37 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Saving a million dollars is not worth the potential strain arbitration can put between Weber and managements relationship.

I have to agree 100 percent with Trig. This offseason has failed to capture any momentum left at the end of the year. Whether that is managements fault or not I don't know. It's really irrelevant.
One thing that hasn't been talked about is the owners. Is it them telling Poile what he can and can't do salary wise which would be contradictory to what they said last year at the SOTU. I'm not saying that's the case but it is business and while these guys say they aren't in this to make money, they sure as hell don't want to lose money either, especially in today's economy. Just something else to ponder.

Old
08-02-2011, 09:37 AM
thomas magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post

Weber choosing one year over two years means he wants to be in Nashville. Had he signed a two year deal, I would be on the Weber wants out bandwagon, but he didn't. He simply wants Poile to prove a committment to winning before singing here long term.

I cant see inside Shea's head, but the one year deal means he wants to be in Nashville.
I really don't think that him choosing 1 year says anything for sure other than that he doesn't want to be locked into the decision of an arbitrator for any longer than he has to be.

Old
08-02-2011, 09:38 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

I would be shocked to hear an explaination from weber. No matter what he says his comments will be selfish, no matter if they are legitimate or not.

Old
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:

I'll wait until it's official until we know for sure Weber wants a one-year deal. Dreger makes it sound like nobody knows yet:

Darren Dreger
Both the Preds and Weber's agents have been respectful in managing the info in this negotiation. No term details have been provided.

Old
AEM6729

Quote:
I think people are panicking way too much here. Yes, it isn't ideal, but this isn't that bad of a situation.

1. Shea chose a 1 year deal. That means he wants to be here, but wants Poile to prove that we are dedicated to winning. I have no issue with that. Shea choosing 1 year means he wants to stay in Nashville, and is using his power to try to get the scoring help we need. Can you blame him? If any of us had the leverage to force Poile to make a move for offense I think we would take it. Weber wants Nashville to be successful.

2. Barring a trade, he is still ours at the end of the day. No matter what is awarded, we have the money this year, and its a one year deal, so we can negotiate next season. Because we have so much space to the cap floor, There is quite literally no realistic award we could not take on. Shea will still be a Predator if he wants to be, and judging by the one year decision, he wants to be.

3. The arbitrator will likely split the difference in our demands, and there is a decent chance that this price will be cheaper than one we could have negotiated.

Calm people. It's not like Shea is gone. It's taking awhile, but he's still a Pred, and he's still our captain.

Blah blah blah. We can rationalize it and try to act like we know the motivations of the parties involved all we want, but the fact is that Weber is in an arbitration hearing right now and that sucks. Weber told us at the end of the season that he wants to play here and it would just be a matter of time before a deal gets done. Poile told us he was willing to pay whatever it was Weber apparently wanted. Well, somebody is lying or something has changed. And it doesn't matter who's the ******* in this situation...whether it's Weber or DP, it looks bad on Nashville period.

I can't decide whether to be depressed, angry, or embarrassed that we've found ourselves here.

Old
08-02-2011, 09:40 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

and being 7 million under the cap floor, which should be what he gets, is no coincidence. If weber wouldn't sign anything less than one year, poile has nothing to lose here by saving a million or two since we will not be paying for a UFA year like a 3 year deal would have.

Old
08-02-2011, 09:40 AM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
One thing that hasn't been talked about is the owners. Is it them telling Poile what he can and can't do salary wise which would be contradictory to what they said last year at the SOTU. I'm not saying that's the case but it is business and while these guys say they aren't in this to make money, they sure as hell don't want to lose money either, especially in today's economy. Just something else to ponder.
Is there a way to e-mail the owners? I want to let them know how ridiculously disappointing this whole situation is.

Old
08-02-2011, 09:42 AM
Proto

Not sure if you guys saw this, but Bruce Dowbiggin (writer from Calgary) reported about 15 minutes ago on Twitter that the Predators and Weber are close to 4 million a year apart. I don't know how reliable that is, but I assume he heard something to report such an unexpected figure.

Old
08-02-2011, 09:45 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I honestly hope this isn't the case because this would be far more sobering than any scenario. If the owners are having cash problems that bad we could also struggle signing Suter and Rinne.

Also we would officially become that team that can't hold onto to their homegrown talent. This is a pure speculation though of course.

I'm going out for a run. Hopefully I hear something by the time I get back.

Old
08-02-2011, 09:47 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

just the fact this made it this far makes it hard to be a fan

Old
08-02-2011, 09:53 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Going to be interesting to see the number the arbitrator comes out with. I'm thinking somewhere in the $5.5-$6 million range.

Old
08-02-2011, 09:57 AM
Legionnaire11

so what happens if Weber only gets something like $5M... that still leaves us $2M under the cap floor. What forwards are available that are worth the money to get us over the floor? And what GM is going to graciously help us get there by trading us anything of quality?

Old
08-02-2011, 09:59 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
so what happens if Weber only gets something like $5M... that still leaves us $2M under the cap floor. What forwards are available that are worth the money to get us over the floor? And what GM is going to graciously help us get there by trading us anything of quality?
stillman and samsonov

Old
08-02-2011, 10:00 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
in that scenario I could see us signing a guy like hannan for 2 mil a year to play d instead of a rookie

Old
08-02-2011, 10:02 AM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post

I agree with this.
Poile could be trying to think ahead to what he has to pay Suter and Rinne thinking the contracts will be directly related. While the 4.5 million may be a figure made up to make southern hockey look bad, there may be a little truth to the rumor. I am totally frustrated with this situation right now and of some of the decisions made by Poile in the recent past. Bringing arguably your best player to this point could be disatrous. How does this look to the rest of the team...how does it look to potential free agents...this is a horrible situation.
Do we think that any other team would be in this situation with their star player right now? It is early, and the kids kept me up late, but when was the last time a STUD like this was taken to arbitration. I generally want to know not trying to make a point.
I really think Poile has dropped the ball on several occasions with this team. This coming from someone was was an ardent Poile supporter. Failing to address the need for a top line player....when we finally get one, letting him bolt to Russia...(sure that was all Radulov's fault) another GM probably would have been more proactive in making sure he stays here in the states, letting Hamhuis walk away from the team...sure he wasn't Weber...if he was, we would lock him up long term Refusing to get aggressive with free agents making them come to us rather than the other way around..ie Kariya, Dumont, and possibly Arnott. Refusing to trade assets in areas of strength for assets in areas of weakness. Sorry for the rant, but I am extremely disappointed right now.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:02 AM
thomas magnum

My guess is he gets 6.5 to 7.5 a year.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:03 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
we'd turn around and sign samsonov or stillman to more money than they're worth. It's what we did after the firesale(signed Radek Bonk 1.5, Greg Devries 2.75)

Old
AEM6729

Quote:
I don't get why we'd be lowballing Weber because of the fact you state here. I mean, what's the point? If we were planning on lowballing him, why wouldn't we have just overpaid to hang on to Ward or some other random player we lost and then be at the cap floor?

None of this makes sense. All we know for sure is that it SUCKS. And reinforces everything the haters say about Nashville.

Old
glenngineer

So does the arbitrator rule for one of the numbers or a compromise between the two? I had always thought it was the team or players number and that was it.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
in that scenario I could see us signing a guy like hannan for 2 mil a year to play d instead of a rookie
That I would like. I've always liked Hannan, even as a Shark and Av, I honestly had a dream a few weeks ago about welcoming him to Nashville at the "meet the team" party.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:05 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

How many players have we went through arbitration with and actually kept?

Old
08-02-2011, 10:05 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsytrid1 View Post
I agree with this.
Poile could be trying to think ahead to what he has to pay Suter and Rinne thinking the contracts will be directly related. While the 4.5 million may be a figure made up to make southern hockey look bad, there may be a little truth to the rumor. I am totally frustrated with this situation right now and of some of the decisions made by Poile in the recent past. Bringing arguably your best player to this point could be disatrous. How does this look to the rest of the team...how does it look to potential free agents...this is a horrible situation.
Do we think that any other team would be in this situation with their star player right now? It is early, and the kids kept me up late, but when was the last time a STUD like this was taken to arbitration. I generally want to know not trying to make a point.
I really think Poile has dropped the ball on several occasions with this team. This coming from someone was was an ardent Poile supporter. Failing to address the need for a top line player....when we finally get one, letting him bolt to Russia...(sure that was all Radulov's fault) another GM probably would have been more proactive in making sure he stays here in the states, letting Hamhuis walk away from the team...sure he wasn't Weber...if he was, we would lock him up long term Refusing to get aggressive with free agents making them come to us rather than the other way around..ie Kariya, Dumont, and possibly Arnott. Refusing to trade assets in areas of strength for assets in areas of weakness. Sorry for the rant, but I am extremely disappointed right now.
+10000000000000000000000

Closed Thread