HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Price Ranked 5th In NHL Goalie Ranking

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2011, 11:27 PM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Well, Ryan Miller lost two of his top four in the offseason

I think of those four, only Rinne had a crazy defensive team in front of him. The Rangers D had gaps, big ones. The Canadiens were decimated by injury in front of Price. Buffalo lost their defense in free agency before the year began. And Boston's D was not exactly huge for them until the later rounds of the playoffs.

We can argue all day, but to me, if you based it off of JUST this season... Thomas, Rinne and Luongo (note Vezina nominees) beat Price.

If it was based off a reasonable sample size (a few seasons) and factoring in performance to date, you have to give Miller and Lundqvist nods over him too (and maybe even Brodeur, he's only had one down year).

Now if I were to project out 2-5 years, then of course, Price and others jump up, but for all we know Alex Auld will be the best NHL goalie in 2-5 years Stranger things have happened. See Thomas, Tim.
Sure, and Luongo deserved the Conn Smythe trophy this past season!? Harumph! If the Canucks had had the B.C. boy, they might have been drinking champagne.

Old
08-02-2011, 01:51 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Conn Smythe winner, Stanley Cup Champion and Vezina trophy winner. Hard to argue that.
Martin St.Louis won a Cup, Hart and Art Ross all in the same year. Did you ever consider him the best forward in the NHL?

Old
08-02-2011, 02:18 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Martin St.Louis won a Cup, Hart and Art Ross all in the same year. Did you ever consider him the best forward in the NHL?
I'll go on record as saying that the Bruins would have been hurt more by the loss of Chara than of Thomas. People DRASTICALLY underrate their overall play and the anchor on defence who pretty much transformed that team a half decade ago.

Old
08-02-2011, 02:21 AM
Flambergius

Quote:
That year, just before the lock-out, he was up there. There wasn't really that many great forwards in their prime just then, Iginla probably being the main competition.

Old
08-02-2011, 02:30 AM
svat

Quote:
yes, as have many, many people.

Old
08-02-2011, 02:34 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by svat View Post
yes, as have many, many people.
I haven't heard people call St. Louis the best player in the league many times before. If any.

Old
08-02-2011, 06:13 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
A little odd you bring him into the conversation considering; He finished with 99 points last season. Second in the NHL, and only 5 points behind Daniel Sedin. He was a big reason to Stamkos having a crazy season, scoring 45 goals.

Considering his size, his heart and determination, his get up and keep playing attitude and the fact that he put Stamkos back on the path of having an excellent career, yes I consider St.Louis as one of the best forwards in the NHL.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
08-02-2011, 08:18 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
I haven't heard people call St. Louis the best player in the league many times before. If any.
Well he's the most consistent high end player and doesn't get injured often. 80+ games a season dating back to two years before the lockout. Only one of them being sub 82. Even the year he only netted 60pts which was actually 5+ years ago (crazy huh, his worst season 5+ years ago was 60+) he netted 30+ goals which would put him at the top of the league for goal scorers as well.

He's always a top point getter but even when he had one mediocre season (by his standard) he still put up 31 goals. In his defense it was the season right after the lockout too. Some players played great while others regressed that year. Weird year in general.

Basically for the past 5 years though he's been a top 5 NHL guy (or close to, would need to double check) every year.

You can't say that about anyone else really. Even Ovy, Kovalchuk have faltered. Crosby has been injured as has Malkin.

For a guy whose 5'7" it's pretty crazy that he stays healthy.

At the end of the day he's the kind of person you want on your team in a big way regardless.

Old
08-02-2011, 08:22 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
A little odd you bring him into the conversation considering; He finished with 99 points last season. Second in the NHL, and only 5 points behind Daniel Sedin. He was a big reason to Stamkos having a crazy season, scoring 45 goals.

Considering his size, his heart and determination, his get up and keep playing attitude and the fact that he put Stamkos back on the path of having an excellent career, yes I consider St.Louis as one of the best forwards in the NHL.
One of the best forwards. Certainly.

My point is, some hardware doesn't necessarily make you the best. Just because Thomas had the best season, doesn't make him the best goalie in the NHL, just like I feel just because St.Louis once had the best season, he wasn't necessarily the best forward in the game.

Old
08-02-2011, 08:25 AM
knuck
On and off fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Well he's the most consistent high end player and doesn't get injured often. 80+ games a season dating back to two years before the lockout. Only one of them being sub 82. Even the year he only netted 60pts which was actually 5+ years ago (crazy huh, his worst season 5+ years ago was 60+) he netted 30+ goals which would put him at the top of the league for goal scorers as well.

He's always a top point getter but even when he had one mediocre season (by his standard) he still put up 31 goals. In his defense it was the season right after the lockout too. Some players played great while others regressed that year. Weird year in general.

Basically for the past 5 years though he's been a top 5 NHL guy (or close to, would need to double check) every year.

You can't say that about anyone else really. Even Ovy, Kovalchuk have faltered. Crosby has been injured as has Malkin.

For a guy whose 5'7" it's pretty crazy that he stays healthy.

At the end of the day he's the kind of person you want on your team in a big way regardless.
I remember he once said in an interview that, prior to his "poor" season, he had bulked up too much and had lost speed and agility. I thought that was interesting

Old
08-02-2011, 08:53 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
..and it annoys me how many people discredit other proven goalies and their accomplishments, when Price hasn't done any of it yet.

No, I'm comparing Price's performance from two years ago when he was chased out of the building, and almost out of town.. and from a lot of people here as well.

Oh.. and you don't just put a goalie on a great team and you are suddenly one of the top goaltenders in the league btw. Have a look at how that worked out for Theodore, Nabokov and the other long line of goalies that never worked out for. That is a stupid argument.

I could care less, as I was also wanting them to trade Halak, and not Price. I love Price, this has never been a question, its the lack of respect the homers here show for other goalies that is the issue I took. If you actually read some of what I wrote, you would know I am a supporter of Price.

People just love to hate MAF, Luongo and Thomas, but their stats just don't lie.. they are all great goaltenders.
Get real, MAF does not belong in the same category as Price, Luongo and Thomas. MAF is an overrated goalie playing on a good team. He is slightly above average at best. Won't be at the next Olympics. Price, Ward and Luongo.

Old
08-02-2011, 09:09 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Get real, MAF does not belong in the same category as Price, Luongo and Thomas. MAF is an overrated goalie playing on a good team. He is slightly above average at best. Won't be at the next Olympics. Price, Ward and Luongo.
Give him a break....on what earth are u on? He's a good goalie with perhaps the quickest pads. He may be soft mentally but at the end of the day, I consider him as a top goalie and I would place him in the Luongo category.

Old
08-02-2011, 09:26 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Give him a break....on what earth are u on? He's a good goalie with perhaps the quickest pads. He may be soft mentally but at the end of the day, I consider him as a top goalie and I would place him in the Luongo category.
how can a mentally soft goalie be a top goalie?

Old
08-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
MAF is no more overrated than Luongo...and he has a cup on his resume which Luongo doesn't have.

Old
08-02-2011, 09:37 AM
guest1467

Quote:
One of the best forwards. Certainly.

My point is, some hardware doesn't necessarily make you the best. Just because Thomas had the best season, doesn't make him the best goalie in the NHL, just like I feel just because St.Louis once had the best season, he wasn't necessarily the best forward in the game.
It is not just the hardware. The guy put up one of the most impressive seasons for a goalie in the history of the NHL.

He is number 1 right now, its as simple as that.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:07 AM
neofury*

A little /thread for all of you:

1) No matter what you say MAF is a solid goalie improving still.
2) No matter what you say even given age TT is the best goalie presently.
3) Price is exactly where he should be. 5th is a good achievement for a 23 year old. Wake up and realize it.

/thread.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:21 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
how can a mentally soft goalie be a top goalie?
Wen shield and well supported, mentality changes. A goalie coach who backs him up and keeps that frame of mind cleared trough different techniques. Some guys just needs that and I believe that MAF is one of them. Talent wise, he's a top goalie.

Old
08-02-2011, 01:39 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
The Crosby / Malkin less Pens were not a good team. MAF is under rated. He's played well to take his team 3 times to the SCF. That isn't easy to do. Playing consistently good in the playoffs isn't a cakewalk, its why so many goalies don't cut it in the NHL.

Old
08-02-2011, 02:00 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
The Crosby / Malkin less Pens were not a good team. MAF is under rated. He's played well to take his team 3 times to the SCF. That isn't easy to do. Playing consistently good in the playoffs isn't a cakewalk, its why so many goalies don't cut it in the NHL.
Exactly. And I don't care how stacked those teams are, previously their defensive depth was just okay, not incredible like it is now.

Old
08-02-2011, 03:17 PM
theboss*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
A little /thread for all of you:

1) No matter what you say MAF is a solid goalie improving still.
2) No matter what you say even given age TT is the best goalie presently.
3) Price is exactly where he should be. 5th is a good achievement for a 23 year old. Wake up and realize it.

/thread.
This. But I do think if you put Price on the Bruins he would be the best goaltender in the league.

Old
08-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Your opinion. MAF is over rated and will always be as you are the proof if you think he is top 5. I said he is slightly above average. Average being the 15th goalie in the league, that puts him at about 10th, which is where I see him in the league.

Some of you freak out for nothing and don't realize that above average in not bad. Never said he sucked, just over rated. He is NOT top 5 in the NHL and never will be.

I live on this earth. The one where MAF is not top 5 in the NHL. You?

Old
08-02-2011, 03:29 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Three times?

Old
08-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Subban76

Quote:
No, but they were one of the best coached team playing a good defensive system. That is the difference, not MAF. MAF just collects from the system. Again, he is an above average goalie, but nothing more. He sits at about numero 10 on my list. Too lazy to make one.

Those Pens got eliminated rather quickly BTW, so not a + to mention that

Old
08-02-2011, 03:55 PM
Habs

Quote:
No, but they were one of the best coached team playing a good defensive system. That is the difference, not MAF. MAF just collects from the system. Again, he is an above average goalie, but nothing more. He sits at about numero 10 on my list. Too lazy to make one.

Those Pens got eliminated rather quickly BTW, so not a + to mention that
You sound like another hater, trying to make excuses for another persons success. MAF is a good goalie, get over it.

Old
08-02-2011, 04:10 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Three times?
sorry twice

Closed Thread