HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "Captain Caveman" Edition: Nashville Predators vs. Shea Weber 8/2/2011

Closed Thread

Old
08-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Legionnaire11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
I don't get why we'd be lowballing Weber because of the fact you state here. I mean, what's the point? If we were planning on lowballing him, why wouldn't we have just overpaid to hang on to Ward or some other random player we lost and then be at the cap floor?

None of this makes sense. All we know for sure is that it SUCKS. And reinforces everything the haters say about Nashville.
Exactly, we pretty much had to offer $7M. Poile probably wanted a long-term guarantee and Weber wants one year to re-evaluate... In that situation Poile should have given him one year to avoid arbitration and then immediately go into talks for re-signing Weber, Suter and Rinne to avoid coming down to the wire next summer.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:09 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Poile has screwed the pooch on this, it's bad no matter how you look at it.

He should have just offered a one year deal at a decent amount to avoid this.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:10 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Right now I'm just very pissed at both Poile and Weber. I haven't renewed my season tickets yet, now is not a good time for them to call me either.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:11 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
How many players have we went through arbitration with and actually kept?
None. We've had two players go to arb: Koistinen and Lambert.

VK was gone after that season, Lambert was traded a couple of months later, and himself said that things were never the same after arbitration.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:12 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Very very bad day for NSH

Old
08-02-2011, 10:14 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I still want to know why everyone is assuming that poile is the problem here when a much more likely scenario is Weber is refusing to sign anything more than one year, for reasons known only to him.

If Im in Poiles shoes and I know that I cant get more than one year no matter what then I have zero to lose and possibly a million or more dollars to gain by going through with the arbitration. Its a little too late to worry about hurt feelings.

What I am anxious to hear is not Poiles comments but Weber's. Hopefully he mans up and explains why he only wanted a one year deal and we can put all this to rest.
Arbitration doesn't force Weber into a long term deal. If all he wants is 2 years, Poile has no way of making him sign longer.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:16 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Looking forward, this isn't helping with the process of signing Suter or Rinne either.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:18 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Looking forward, this isn't helping with the process of signing Suter or Rinne either.
Nope, doesn't matter we're too cheap to sign them.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:19 AM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
It's not helping with anything. Suter, Rinne, bringing in the offense that Weber allegedly wants...it's all jeopardized by this nonsense.

No matter whose fault this is, I can't think of a single legit reason for DP to allow this to get to arbitration. If Shea will only sign a 1-year deal and nothing more, do what NJ did with Parise and sign him to one before the damn hearing! Give him what he wants!

Nothing good can come from dragging your home-grown superstar and team captain through an arbitration hearing where you tell him how much he sucks and why he's not worth what he thinks he is. Terrible.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:22 AM
hatedandproud

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Arbitration doesn't force Weber into a long term deal. If all he wants is 2 years, Poile has no way of making him sign longer.
I think what Vody is saying is that if weber is set on a 1 year deal and is asking, say 8.5, then "poile has nothing to lose and maybe a million or more to gain" by letting it go to arb. Maybe the arbitrator rules 1 yr. at 7.5 mil.
So poile either pays the hypothetical 8.5 per or takes his chance that the arbitrator rules that less than 8.5 per is warranted.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:22 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Nothing good can come from dragging your home-grown superstar and team captain through an arbitration hearing where you tell him how much he sucks and why he's not worth what he thinks he is. Terrible.

100% spot on....

Nothing good will come of this. Poile screwed up.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:24 AM
handtrick

However you want to look at it....Poile has failed to make it attractive enough for Weber to sign a longterm deal here......and that bag of s*** fully rests on David Poile's porch.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:25 AM
pekkaslap

I asked a while back what the chances are that we lose all 3 of the big 3 (Weber, Suter, Rinne). I was half joking when I asked it then, but just watch it happen. I wouldn't be shocked the way things are going now.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:29 AM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekkaslap View Post
I asked a while back what the chances are that we lose all 3 of the big 3 (Weber, Suter, Rinne). I was half joking when I asked it then, but just watch it happen. I wouldn't be shocked the way things are going now.
Tell me about it. We can assume the players contact each other and talk about how things like this go down. How does this not affect the negotiations of Pekka and Ryan?

Old
08-02-2011, 10:29 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

I sure hope Poile hears it from the fan base. This was our opportunity this offseason. And he has failed harder than you could possibly fail so far. ****ed up Poile. No excuses

Old
08-02-2011, 10:34 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
However you want to look at it....Poile has failed to make it attractive enough for Weber to sign a longterm deal......and that bag of s*** fully rests on David Poile's porch.
This is the reality of the situation...and everybody can forget about Suter and Peks at this point if this is the way Poile is going to run things. It's almost impossible for a GM to put an organization into reverse so quickly, but somehow Poile has managed to do it this summer.

Incredible.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:35 AM
tulsytrid1

This makes this organization look cheap. We can't retain our homegrown talent? This is absurd. Prepare for 1000 threads on the trade/signing of "Weber for a 2nd liner and a 2nd round pick because we obvioulsy can't afford to keep our players".

Old
08-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Top 6 Spaling

If Poile or his cronies read these boards, which im sure they do, they'll know how pissed we are....this is just a PR nightmare.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:39 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
If Poile or his cronies read these boards, which im sure they do, they'll know how pissed we are....this is just a PR nightmare.
Someone should make a "message to david poile" thread haha. I imagine ppl below him read these boards.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:44 AM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
They will try to put a silver lining on this, but there just isn't one, so they will insult our intelligence and make one up.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsytrid1 View Post
They will try to put a silver lining on this, but there just isn't one, so they will insult our intelligence and make one up.
Perhaps you were looking for this:

Old
08-02-2011, 10:51 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
However you want to look at it....Poile has failed to make it attractive enough for Weber to sign a longterm deal here......and that bag of s*** fully rests on David Poile's porch.
well... yes, but only IF there was some type of long term deal that Weber would have considered signing.

I think there is a distinct possibility that short of a truly ridiculous offer Weber was not going to commit to more than one year. If thats the case then what was poile supposed to do? offer 10 years at 10 million per?

unless we know for sure what Poile did offer and what Weber asked for, we cant say for sure who desreves the bag of flaming crap on their porch.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:52 AM
SavageSteve

Strange thought, what if the plan was to go thru arb to get the value and then plan to sign all three long-tern next season? I realize its a long-shot; but truth may be stranger than fiction...

Old
08-02-2011, 10:53 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
well... yes, but only IF there was some type of long term deal that Weber would have considered signing.

I think there is a distinct possibility that short of a truly ridiculous offer Weber was not going to commit to more than one year. If thats the case then what was poile supposed to do? offer 10 years at 10 million per?

unless we know for sure what Poile did offer and what Weber asked for, we cant say for sure who desreves the bag of flaming crap on their porch.
Poile ****ed up. simple as that

Old
08-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Leafssss

If he signs a one-year deal isn't he still a RFA?

Closed Thread