HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Gary Roberts' and Matt Nichol's 12 week workout

Old
07-31-2011, 06:26 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 150
Gary Roberts' and Matt Nichol's 12 week workout

Found these on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl8DKpICFIU

Just finished my first week. I doubt I'll be playing hockey much, but I like to try and keep in shape. Has anyone tried these yet? I felt the burn immediately; I was so out of shape. Barely made 45 minutes the first day. D: It gets a lot easier and is very rewarding.

I wonder if these are the same exercises Stamkos did?

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 09:26 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

vCash: 500
So do you workout for 5 straight days, take two days off, then work out for another 5, then two days off, and so on and so forth with the weeks designated as recovery weeks in between?

I might consider trying this.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 01:10 AM
Placebo Effect

You can also get the PDF from the Nike training site. But having a video reference is helpful.

Basically each week has five days. Workout, active recovery, workout, active recovery, workout. Weeks 1-4, 6-9 and 11-12 have their own set of workouts. Weeks 5 and 10 are active recovery weeks.

I may try this after I'm done P90X but don't have some of the stuff needed (medicine ball).

Last edited by Placebo Effect: 08-01-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 02:31 AM
Pez68

Obviously this is not something you do when you're playing a season.

Playing 3-4 games a week is draining enough, if you're playing hard. The only time I can work out, is when I have 3-4 days off between games. Otherwise, you just don't give your body time to recover. Working out the day of a game, or the day before, is typically a death sentence. Gotta have that downtime for the muscles to recover, and for the body to recharge.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Iplayhockehh

I am now on week 9 of this program and the results have just been magnificent. My edges on the ice are just superb, I never lose balance on the ice, my forward speed has increased 10 fold, my lateral movement and my hip and mid body quickness has improved drastically, and also strangely enough when I started I could barely curl 15's, but now I can curl 30's and there's no curling even involved in the program. The program just makes all your muscles stronger and your whole body work together much better. I recommend doing this and then moving on to P90x, that's what im doing.

Iplayhockehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 01:30 AM
Kayen
Fire Eakins

vCash: 658
Anyone have a link to the PDF, i want to do this...

Kayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 09:26 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Would be interesting to see the full PDF, but the site is down. It looks similar to a P90X workout, less intense though. Which is probably a good thing as that workout is a killer for your average schlub.

From what I recall, Stamkos did a lot of weight lifting and explosive exercises.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 01:23 PM
Placebo Effect

Here's the PDF - http://dp.proximitystore.com/NIKE-The_Program.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
Found these on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl8DKpICFIU

Just finished my first week. I doubt I'll be playing hockey much, but I like to try and keep in shape. Has anyone tried these yet? I felt the burn immediately; I was so out of shape. Barely made 45 minutes the first day. D: It gets a lot easier and is very rewarding.

I wonder if these are the same exercises Stamkos did?
Probably same, or similar, exercises but a lot less intense. Roberts' program is for peak level athletes. The Nike training stuff is probably catered for your average joe to be able to do.

Quote:
The summer program is split into three phases: preparation, strength and then conditioning. On Monday, the players were learning Phase 3, which involves lifting plenty of weights but with an emphasis on speed.
At one station, Jordan and Jared Staal are given a 90-pound barbell and told to perform six cleans, six front military presses, six speed squats, six bent-over rows, six deadlifts, six shoulder presses and six jump squats. One more thing, says Roberts. It all has to be done in under a minute.

That is 42 combined repetitions in less than 60 seconds.

“As fast as you can, but with good technique,” says Roberts.

“Seriously?” Jordan asks.
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...bs/#more-41684

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Iplayhockehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Would be interesting to see the full PDF, but the site is down. It looks similar to a P90X workout, less intense though. Which is probably a good thing as that workout is a killer for your average schlub.

From what I recall, Stamkos did a lot of weight lifting and explosive exercises.
Oh boy are you in for a surprise lol. Week 6-9 will kill you, p90x plyo is nothing compared to the med ball explosiveness workout...

Iplayhockehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 09:48 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't know if anything's worse than P90X plyo...I think that was the straw that broke my back and hit the wall. I'd literally "press play" and be unable to mentally make myself move.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote