HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "Captain Caveman" Edition: Nashville Predators vs. Shea Weber 8/2/2011

Closed Thread

Old
08-02-2011, 09:55 AM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
I am glad he isn't just trading great assests away wily-nily in overpayments.
Cody Franson says hi--Asset traded away in return for taking Poile's overpayment of an injury-prone, uninsured player.

Quote:
I've said it before, and I'll say it until people believe it.

Weber choosing one year over two years means he wants to be in Nashville. Had he signed a two year deal, I would be on the Weber wants out bandwagon, but he didn't. He simply wants Poile to prove a committment to winning before singing here long term.

I cant see inside Shea's head, but the one year deal means he wants to be in Nashville.
Oh, and you can see inside of Shea's head, right? Are you Shea Weber? How do you know this whole thing is to prove a point? That's just your opinion.

To me, the way he proves he wants to be here is signing a long term deal, not by taking this to arbitration.

Old
08-02-2011, 09:55 AM
RaiderDoug

How can everyone be so sure that Poile is the one who screwed up here?

I mean, I find it very hard to believe that DP offered something so unacceptable that it got this far. Everyone everywhere knows that it's going to be in the 7mil range. That's what we need to spend to the cap floor.

I've thrown plenty of stones at DP this summer, but it makes no logical sense that the offer was something rediculously low - 4.5 or whatever - to the point where you piss off the franchise player, a guy you know you want to keep for the better part of the next decade, and be the captain/face of the team.

Suppose the offer Weber finds acceptable is is 12 mil a year for 8 years. That's not reasonable. Should DP just bend over and take it?

It's far more likely that Weber won't committ to a longer term offer - at which point he confirms he doesn't want to be here - so, who cares if you don't give him what he wants.

Old
08-02-2011, 09:56 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Weber's agent just tweeted that they're on a break (guessing that the first portion is complete.) Also said that this is the first time in NHL history a team-elected arbitration has gone to hearing.

Old
08-02-2011, 09:57 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Weber's agent just tweeted that they're on a break (guessing that the first portion is complete.) Also said that this is the first time in NHL history a team-elected arbitration has gone to hearing.
This proves to me that Poile has ****ed up

Old
08-02-2011, 09:58 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Cody Franson says hi--Asset traded away in return for taking Poile's overpayment of an injury-prone, uninsured player.

Oh, and you can see inside of Shea's head, right? Are you Shea Weber? How do you know this whole thing is to prove a point? That's just your opinion.
To me, the way he proves he wants to be here is signing a long term deal, not by taking this to arbitration.
Literally, in my post, i said the exact words "i can't see inside of Shea's head"....

Why else would he choose one year? Yes its a guess, but it makes sense,

Old
08-02-2011, 09:58 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
well... yes, but only IF there was some type of long term deal that Weber would have considered signing.

I think there is a distinct possibility that short of a truly ridiculous offer Weber was not going to commit to more than one year. If thats the case then what was poile supposed to do? offer 10 years at 10 million per?

unless we know for sure what Poile did offer and what Weber asked for, we cant say for sure who desreves the bag of flaming crap on their porch.
If all Weber wants is one year, then you sign the one year deal to avoid arbitration, similar to Parise. Relationships are destroyed in arbitration.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:00 AM
Nitrous Mafia

They're on a break? That must mean the end of the two sides presentation, right? Don't they get something like 30 mins each?

Old
08-02-2011, 10:01 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
If all Weber wants is one year, then you sign the one year deal to avoid arbitration, similar to Parise. Relationships are destroyed in arbitration.
Yep. Disagreeing the worth of your star player and captain is going to produce quite a rift and distraction.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:02 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
They're on a break? That must mean the end of the two sides presentation, right? Don't they get something like 30 mins each?
90 each. Must have heard only one side, I guess.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Is there a stream of this anywhere?

Old
08-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Legionnaire11

you know it's bad when pretty much the entire fanbase is in agreement on any particular topic.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Nitrous Mafia

90 mins and if the other side offers up new "evidence" or something they get an extra 15min rebuttal period.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:05 AM
Leafssss

Is Weber a UFA if he signs a one year contract?

Old
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Is there a stream of this anywhere?
I'm actually standing on the sidewalk in toronto. brb let me go get my webcam.

Old
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
you know it's bad when pretty much the entire fanbase is in agreement on any particular topic.
lol was thinking the same. When was the last time that happened? hah

Old
08-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
I believe its 90 minutes each. They are probably breaking between the two sides presentations.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:07 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafssss View Post
Is Weber a UFA if he signs a one year contract?
No, RFA. We'd be in for this again, next year -- but without arbitration as a possibility.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post

I am.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:08 AM
RaiderDoug

If all Weber wants is a 1 year deal - who cares if you destroy the relationship.

I don't get the thinking that if it's a 1 year deal, he still wants to be here.

If he wants to be here, he'd sign longer term and become the foundation of the team.

It's far more likely that instead of locking him into a 2 year deal, he just wants another bigger raise next year before bolting for UFA.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea Weber View Post
I believe its 90 minutes each. They are probably breaking between the two sides presentations.
Shea, why all the hold up man? Give us your thoughts on wtf is happening :p

Old
08-02-2011, 10:10 AM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Shea, why all the hold up man? Give us your thoughts on wtf is happening :p
Poile presented his case first. All he did was pull his pants down and bend over for 90 minutes.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:11 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
If all Weber wants is a 1 year deal - who cares if you destroy the relationship.

I don't get the thinking that if it's a 1 year deal, he still wants to be here.

If he wants to be here, he'd sign longer term and become the foundation of the team.

It's far more likely that instead of locking him into a 2 year deal, he just wants another bigger raise next year before bolting for UFA.
Because he, justifiably, has concerns about whether or not the team can afford to\will re-sign Suter and Rinne, and whether or not they can do what's necessary to better the team, rather than signing guys for league minimum and assuring the public that they're "another SK"

A lot of fans are being unreasonable in wanting Weber to sign, sight-unseen, without an idea as to whether the franchise will ever take the next step--and make the expenditures necessary to do so--or if they'll continue nickel and diming and hoping for offense from unlikely places.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Mustard

I seriously hope when all thir is through, that DP is justified in all this.. Right now hes really looking like he's ****ed.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:16 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
I was meaning that chances of not having the current Captain in the future are growing smaller (most people got it). I started to put Suter's name in there, but it seems there will be no money problems about keeping #11.
I got it but it's a stretch considering we have Weber for at least the next two years.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:17 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Because he, justifiably, has concerns about whether or not the team can afford to\will re-sign Suter and Rinne, and whether or not they can do what's necessary to better the team, rather than signing guys for league minimum and assuring the public that they're "another SK"

A lot of fans are being unreasonable in wanting Weber to sign, sight-unseen, without an idea as to whether the franchise will ever take the next step--and make the expenditures necessary to do so--or if they'll continue nickel and diming and hoping for offense from unlikely places.
Then it's a chicken or the egg situation.

If Weber signs longterm - it's going to show our own guys and any other other guys that we're committed to building the franchise.

If he signs one year - then it provides no impetus for Suter/Rinne, other guys to sign here either. No one wants to be the one superstar on a bad team.

This is the situation where a 4/5 year deal works for both sides. It provides the Preds with a building block type player we can build around - it provides Weber with a chance to chase a cup (not to mention, he can always request a trade anytime) with a big deal later on as a UFA with another team.

I have to believe that DP would be amenable to something in the range of 4/5 years - it wouldn't be logical for us to try and lock up Weber for 10 years or nothing. So then it would seem that it's Weber's camp that doesn't want to commit to 4/5 years.

Closed Thread