HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How's Cody Franson's skating?

Old
08-02-2011, 12:02 PM
gravyface

vCash: 500
How's Cody Franson's skating?

Seeing mixed feedback/opinions here and there online. Don't recall him being particularly fast or slow in the few NASH playoff games I watched, but I wasn't really paying close attention to him either.

Last edited by gravyface: 08-02-2011 at 01:45 PM.
gravyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Slow. Very slow. but his offensive skills make up for it.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 12:30 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
I think he could outskate Belak..... His first step is slow, his top-end is slow. He handles the puck ok when he's skating.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 01:28 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

He's top 10 in the slowest in the league category

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 01:34 PM
gravyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
He's top 10 in the slowest in the league category
See, now this is the complete opposite of what I've read in his scouting reports.

Old
08-02-2011, 01:36 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
See, now this is the complete opposite of what I've read in his scouting reports.
Those scouts lied.

I like Franson, love his shot and his ability to get the shot through traffic, but he's a horrible skater.

Old
08-02-2011, 01:37 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

He isn't molasses slow, but he's slow. It's almost like he doesn't understand aerodynamics or something. I think part of it comes from his lack of hockey IQ. He looks slow because he isn't completely sure where to be, and it takes him a second to make that decision. His first step still isn't that great, and his stride could use some work. I don't think his backwards skating is terrible, but it still isn't great. He is fine provided he doesn't have the puck stolen off of his stick at the blueline by a skater with any kind of speed. If he's having to chase after a fresh skater with even average speed you had better hope he can lay down on the ice and his reach is enough to knock the puck off of the stick. Otherwise it's going to be a solid scoring chance.

And I agree that the scouts who have written some of those reports are really hyping Franson up. The positive comments about his offense are pretty much all true. He does have good offensive instincts. His defense is average, and his overall skating is bad.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Broom of the System

Franson starts out ridiculously slow, but once he gets up to top speed, he's only very slow.

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 01:44 PM
gravyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
He isn't molasses slow, but he's slow. It's almost like he doesn't understand aerodynamics or something. I think part of it comes from his lack of hockey IQ. He looks slow because he isn't completely sure where to be, and it takes him a second to make that decision. His first step still isn't that great, and his stride could use some work. I don't think his backwards skating is terrible, but it still isn't great. He is fine provided he doesn't have the puck stolen off of his stick at the blueline by a skater with any kind of speed. If he's having to chase after a fresh skater with even average speed you had better hope he can lay down on the ice and his reach is enough to knock the puck off of the stick. Otherwise it's going to be a solid scoring chance.

And I agree that the scouts who have written some of those reports are really hyping Franson up. The positive comments about his offense are pretty much all true. He does have good offensive instincts. His defense is average, and his overall skating is bad.

I think this sums it up nicely:
http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/20...ake-on-franson

Old
08-02-2011, 01:52 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
Essentially, yes. I think that's the consensus around here. If Toronto can give him PP time but protect his ES minutes he will be a fine defenseman. If Wilson starts trying to play Franson against top six talent, or if the home team can take advantage of last change by putting out top six talent against Franson (I'm not sure how good Wilson is at rolling his lines and pairings) he will be booed in Toronto. Like the blog said, he will be solid on most nights, or at least he was here. A lot of that had to do with Trotz being able to keep him away from top end forward talent.

edit: not sure if you've seen this, but it gives a very small taste of his defense, his skating, and his offensive awareness. You can see he likes to fish for the puck rather than try to use his size. He seems faster in the video than he really is because Legwand has to slow down to take a pass that was behind him. Then, of course he puts the moves on none other than the beast-in-net himself, Dan Ellis

Old
08-02-2011, 01:55 PM
gravyface

Quote:
Essentially, yes. I think that's the consensus around here. If Toronto can give him PP time but protect his ES minutes he will be a fine defenseman. If Wilson starts trying to play Franson against top six talent, or if the home team can take advantage of last change by putting out top six talent against Franson (I'm not sure how good Wilson is at rolling his lines and pairings) he will be booed in Toronto. Like the blog said, he will be solid on most nights, or at least he was here. A lot of that had to do with Trotz being able to keep him away from top end forward talent.
He'll be on our 3rd pairing probably playing along side Gunnarsson, who's a good puck mover and skates pretty well.

He could also be paired with Komisarek, which would be a slow turnover-prone line... say, in the market for an overpaid, defensive liability?

Old
08-02-2011, 02:01 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Naa we already have to figure out what to do with the one we have

Putting him with a stay-at-home defenseman is ideal, but a mobile defenseman should be good enough. It's even better if you can keep him on the ice with some good defensive forwards or two-way guys.

Old
08-02-2011, 02:10 PM
gravyface

Quote:
Naa we already have to figure out what to do with the one we have

Putting him with a stay-at-home defenseman is ideal, but a mobile defenseman should be good enough. It's even better if you can keep him on the ice with some good defensive forwards or two-way guys.
Komisarek should be that stay-at-home guy but he's so prone to mental gaffs when he's looking for the big hit, not to mention his defensive awareness is mediocre at best. No idea what Burke saw in that guy to offer him that kind of coin.

Old
08-02-2011, 02:48 PM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom of the System View Post
Franson starts out ridiculously slow, but once he gets up to top speed, he's only very slow.
I lol'd

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea Weber View Post
I lol'd
Shouldn't you be off at an arbitration hearing or something?

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 04:03 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Franson is slow. But he can deke

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 04:04 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Franson is slow. But he can deke
He's got a stick that can reach half way around the rink, of course he can deke...

Old
08-02-2011, 04:07 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
He's got a stick that can reach half way around the rink, of course he can deke...
hahaha he is a tree

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 04:56 PM
kakemono

I didn't think his skating was really that bad. Slowww, but not bad. He actually seems like a very fluid sure-footed skater, but it is slow.

It also probably seems slower than he really is because his size, but make no mistake... he is slow...

kakemono is offline   Reply With Quote