HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

how did you fall in love with the habs

Old
08-02-2011, 02:14 PM
BINYON
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Well, even though I was born in Quebec, it honestly doesnt have too much to do with me being a fan. As someone else said, i was a hockey fan at first, in the 90s, mostly enjoying Avalanche (I watched them a lot in their first year moving to Denver - Roy, Sakic etc), but also watched Rangers and of course Habs. My family dont watch hockey (well I'm from crosby country so thats changed a bit - penguin fans ugh) but my Dad actually despises it to no end! It was Jose between the pipes in 2001-2002 that got me into it. Koivu lead man of course, just a fun time to watch them... been a fan ever since. My fiance's dad is a die hard fan (has a MTL room, has a forum seat, really a collection to see to believe) and it's just put that love in concrete for the team.

Honourable mentions now: Rangers, San Jose, Detroit

BINYON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 02:39 PM
DDIHH

I was a Nordiques fan. After they departed for Colorado, I was just a hockey fan.

In 2002, when Kyle McLaren took out Richard Zednik in the playoffs and Jose Theodore eliminated the Bruins almost all by himself, I became a Theo fan.

Next year, half the way through I realized that I was cheering for the habs.

DDIHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 02:42 PM
JHabs61

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
My mother didn't care much for hockey.
My father was a Leafs fan.
My uncle was a Bruins fan.

At the age of four, I sat down in front of the TV and watched the Habs. No other team got me as excited as the Habs did. I watched the Bruins with my uncle and liked them too, but the Habs have been and always will be my favourite team.
My uncle is a Bruins fan.
My OTHER uncle is a Leafs fan.

Honestly, I liked their colors, when I was younger s I cheered for them. now I am a diehard habs fan;not just because of their pretty colors

JHabs61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 02:43 PM
ScottFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Born in Montreal, dad is a diehard fan since the 60s.

No way in HELL I'd root for any other team instead. I do have a few faves though. Chicago, St. Louis, Calgary(less now), and I liked Atlanta already so I'll probably start liking Winnipeg too. I think Atlanta was one of the few if only teams on the East I could stomach cheering for

PS: I can't believe already how many people are saying they started watching in the mid 2000's.
I was born in 85 and watched all of the 93 cup run! It was incredible! Honestly I think I started watching probably around 6 years old so 90-91 ish. I obviously was not allowed to stay up late for the entire game most of the time just like another poster who had to go to bed at 8! But my dad let me watch a lot of the 93 run and insisted to my mom that I be allowed to stay up.

I remember myself and one other kid in class both were massive habs fans and the rest of the kids were into other things. Surprising when you look at how big the habs are in Montreal.
Growing up I loved Saku Koivu but never watched too many Habs Games. My dads a big bruins fan, says he fell in love with Orr when he first started watching hockey. I couldn't stand watching the Bruins when I was young for some reason, I just hated them.

In a way my hate for the Bruins started before I even became a Habs fan.

ScottFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 02:47 PM
strutsboa

When I was 18 (in 2006) I won (via fantasy hockey) a trip to Montreal/Ottawa to see Montreal vs Buffalo and Ottawa vs Montreal. I had always been a huge hockey fan but never had any favorite team in the NHL.

My grandmother is from Finland so I had Saku as one of my favorite players, so when Saku scored a beautiful goal against Buffalo and the whole crowd was standing and shouting "SAAAKU, SAAAKU!!!", I was sold.

At the game the day after in Ottawa I bought a Montreal jersey and joined in with the Habs fans singing down the Sens fans in their own building.

Ever since that trip I've been watching every single Habs game (including pre-season ), even doh it's in the middle of the night back home in Sweden.

Best trip of my life!

strutsboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 02:49 PM
GoHomez

My father was in New York on a business trip in the early eighties and got me an Islander jersey from a store in the Nassau Coliseum, still got the jersey AND the paper bag. This was a big thing, you couldn't get a hold of any NHL merch in Sweden back then, and Isles were reigning Cup champions and had a couple of succesful swedes.
But, the Isles didn't do anything for me.

Fast forward a couple of years and swedish state television airs the Boys on the Bus documentary, covering the Oilers. I fell for the team and the players, Messier, Coffey, Glen Anderson, Kurri and obviously Mr Magic aka Kent Nilsson and some other chump wearing #99. While I dug the Oilers, they didn't quite do it for some reason... Still, I pay tribute to them in my username, first sex letters.

Then in the fall of 1989 I finally get to watch my first NHL game. They beat the Bruins, Roy is fantastic and I know, THIS is my NHL team, Roy is king! Haven't thought twice about it since.

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 02:58 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Landed in Canada as an immigrant in 1994 and I lived in Sherbrooke for a while. I didn't know much about hockey but I remember watching the Canucks NYR Stanley cup final. The following season I remember watching the Habs with Pierre Turgeon, Roy, and so on. In 1995 I permanently moved to Vancouver but I never became a Canucks fan, Bure became my favorite hockey player ever, but the HABS stuck with me ever since. I visited Sherbrooke a couple of times after and I still think of Sherbrooke as one of my favorite places in Canada.

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
Growing up I didn't watch hockey at all (even though I was born in Montreal and have lived here all my life). In fact I had never taken any interest in any sport what so ever. Compared to today for example, I was clueless. I didn't even know what the CH crest was (rofl) let alone their great history. At around the age of 14 I took an interest in strategy. My dad (being from Europe) liked to watch soccer so I started watching some games with him but I found them incredibly slow paced even though there were tactics involved. Again my interest fell elsewhere, away from sports until 5 years later in April of the 07-08 NHL season. My friends talked about how great the "Canadiens" were and that we were going to have a historical match against the Bruins (didn't know who they were at the time), so I watched game 1. I fell in love with the sport at that moment and have yet to miss watching a Habs game ever since.

In all honesty, when you hear the roar of the Montreal crowd after the team scores a goal, it's a feeling I can't accurately describe but you just want to keep watching.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Le Casque de Mats

Born in the province of Québec, and my dad and grandfather were habs fans obviously. I was 5 when they won the cup in 86, so I don't remember. I know I started following hockey and the habs when my dad bought me this..

87 Panini sticker album.. Then I could know the players and their faces. I was a huge fan when I was a kid, but when I was around 15-16, I totally quit. The team sucked and I had many other interests, music, friends and all. I probably just started watching hockey again like 10 years later. In the early 2000s, except maybe Theodore and Ribeiro, I had no idea who were on the team.

Le Casque de Mats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 03:15 PM
thewall

Was born and raise in Hearst Ont. A little French commutiny in Northern Ontario. 75% Habs fans... 20 % Leafs fans... then maybe split the 5% with Boston and Detroit and Philly Fans..

My dad, and uncles we're huge fans.. I remember watching games when i was about 5 years old. I was 7 when the Habs one in 1986 and I still remember drinking "Champagne" (GingerAll) with my Grandfather after the win...

Now...i would say alot of people are cheering for the Habs and Flyers because Claude Giroux is from Hearst. I have my Giroux T-SHirt but i will never ever ever cheer for someone else beside my Habs....

thewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 03:19 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Being born in Montreal helps.

Having a dad and 2 older brothers being big Hab fans helps even more.

The 2002 and 2004 playoff runs were just deal clinchers.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 03:19 PM
TheHabMan43
You'd Better RUN!

My dad was a Habs fan, so naturally I became one too.

My dad took me to my first game in 2001, that was when I really became a fan.

TheHabMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
Growing up I didn't watch hockey at all (even though I was born in Montreal and have lived here all my life). In fact I had never taken any interest in any sport what so ever. Compared to today for example, I was clueless. I didn't even know what the CH crest was (rofl) let alone their great history. At around the age of 14 I took an interest in strategy. My dad (being from Europe) liked to watch soccer so I started watching some games with him but I found them incredibly slow paced even though there were tactics involved. Again my interest fell elsewhere, away from sports until 5 years later in April of the 07-08 NHL season. My friends talked about how great the "Canadiens" were and that we were going to have a historical match against the Bruins (didn't know who they were at the time), so I watched game 1. I fell in love with the sport at that moment and have yet to miss watching a Habs game ever since.

In all honesty, when you hear the roar of the Montreal crowd after the team scores a goal, it's a feeling I can't accurately describe but you just want to keep watching.
same for me i started watching hockey in 95

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 03:44 PM
bipolarhabfan

I was born in Vancouver and could care less about hockey for the first 7 years of my life. This all changed in 1990. A few months before turning 8 a cousin of mine gave me a hand-me-down Habs jersey. Since then, I have been a diehard Habfan; they are the only team I will ever cheer for. Even during my 'hometown' team's Stanley Cup run, I could not cheer for the Canucks!!

Most people who meet me on the street with a Habs jersey on think I am from Montreal. When I say I have lived in VanCity for my whole life they do not know how to respond.

EDIT: Compared with some other posters on this board, I am starting to feel old .

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 03:46 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Casque de Mats View Post
Born in the province of Québec, and my dad and grandfather were habs fans obviously. I was 5 when they won the cup in 86, so I don't remember. I know I started following hockey and the habs when my dad bought me this
87 Panini sticker album.. Then I could know the players and their faces. I was a huge fan when I was a kid, but when I was around 15-16, I totally quit. The team sucked and I had many other interests, music, friends and all. I probably just started watching hockey again like 10 years later. In the early 2000s, except maybe Theodore and Ribeiro, I had no idea who were on the team.
Nice avatar and username!

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

Used to watch "La soirée du hockey" every saturday while my parents played cards with guests in the kitchen. That was the 76-79 era, and they were invincible. Had posters of every Habs player in my room, taken from "Le Lundi". Even Rick Chartraw's.

When the Nordiques came, my father started rooting for them but I always stayed a Habs fan.

Am kind of worried of the Nords coming back because I know it will take 3 weeks before I start hating them with a passion event though I'm in Quebec City.

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 03:54 PM
LoneWolf54
Relocated.

Ooo! Can I join?!

I check in on this board everyonce and awhile and just saw this and want to respond, if thats okay!

I am actually a Bruins season ticket holder, and love them, not going to lie, but I have only been a fan for about two seasons now.

When I first fell in love with hockey, which was not too long ago, I started reading about history, and time lines, etc and obviously, most of the interesting stuff to read comes from Montreal's history.

I always get excited to play the habs because I learned a ton about the current roster and the history.

I got tix to a game in Montreal and FELL IN LOVE with the The Bell Center. I loved the city, I loved the arena.

I always followed as many of the habs games as I could and all my friends mock me for liking the Habs, but also being a Bs fan.

I know its complex but I think i just love hockey in general.

Also, after Max Pacioretty got injured, I spent a lot of time on this board and made some pretty cool friends over here.

Perhaps Im own of a kind liking both teams, but it works for me.

Ive learned alot because of your board and team, so I like to support the habs when I can.

Also, I have more favorite players on the Habs than the Bs.

Anyway, thanks to everyone over here that accepted my love for two teams, and cant wait for next season!

Cheers all!

LoneWolf54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 03:57 PM
coolasprICE

wheerrrre I grew up, you had 2 kindaaa boys...

Ones who really girls who played dress-up with their sisters and their sisters friends,

and the others who tortured frogs, set-off fires in the bushes, and who were die hard Canadien fans....heeeehaaww

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 03:59 PM
matCH penalty

I was a bandwagon type as a child. But it was a good year for it.

matCH penalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 04:10 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

It started when I was 7ish playing novice in hockey, and after a tournament of some sort we would all gather to a friends house to cheer for the habs in the 93 playoffs. Before that year I wasnt that hyped about even playing hockey but from that magical year I just fell in love with the sport and the Habs. Stopped playing competitive hockey at Midget AA cuz of college and work but I still play it for fun. My love for the habs went up the roof when the Expos left montreal I think. Its like that with alot of people...we all reunited behind what we had left

Oh and Subban gives me boners

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 04:38 PM
NewEraGM

If i cheered for anyone but the Habs, I would have been murdered as a young boy and been accused of being possessed by the devil.

NewEraGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 04:40 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarhabfan View Post
I was born in Vancouver and could care less about hockey for the first 7 years of my life. This all changed in 1990. A few months before turning 8 a cousin of mine gave me a hand-me-down Habs jersey. Since then, I have been a diehard Habfan; they are the only team I will ever cheer for. Even during my 'hometown' team's Stanley Cup run, I could not cheer for the Canucks!!

Most people who meet me on the street with a Habs jersey on think I am from Montreal. When I say I have lived in VanCity for my whole life they do not know how to respond.

EDIT: Compared with some other posters on this board, I am starting to feel old .
That's awesome. Reminds me of that book where the guys mom got him a leafs jersey and he lived in Montreal

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 04:47 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

as immigrtant child, was by default a habs and expos fan (need to make friends, yes?). Was never following them very hard though; was following the expos much more (****** years for habs, since i got here in 94 :p) but in got into the habs intensly during 2000-2001 season because of an ex-gf. have not stopped watching almost all games since. Lock out was hard year for newly devoted passion of mine

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 04:51 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Saku was my favourite player, even though the only games that were really on in the area were the Sabres and the Leafs. After the whole cancer thing I became a Habs fan rather than just a Saku fan, mostly because of the respect the fans showed to my favourite player. Plus with the (high speed)internet and what not it's a lot easier to follow now than it was as a kid.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Hugo Sham

many fantastic stories in here. me? born and bred montrealer, so it's genetic lol...that being said those of you from outside montreal--Sweden, Toronto, Halifax etc..at the 'outposts' you guys to me, are the true fans because you live in a bit of 'virtual' isolation in some ways...

quick question for the former nords fans..when they come back will you become nord fans again? i know there are also some winnepegers on here...will you switch allegiances too?

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote