HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

THN's The Replacements

Old
08-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Larry44

vCash: 500
THN's The Replacements

The Hockey News has allowed the Flyers to post the entire cover story of the latest issue, called ‘The Replacements’ on the team website: http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=585607

I bought it the other day, who could resist a magazine with a cover of Jagr's face on Richards' old uniform....

Here are two excerpts:
Quote:
Sometimes you have to strain to hear Paul Holmgren talk because he speaks in such hushed tones. He certainly isn’t what you would consider blustery. He’s not the kind of guy who shows up at GM meetings and bangs his fist on the table demanding rule changes. Unlike when he played, he prefers the periphery. He is rarely quoted outside Philadelphia, not even in the ubiquitous “according-to-an-anonymous-source” way. Trust us on that one.

But goodness, the man has stones the size of goalie pads when it comes to making blockbuster moves, doesn’t he?
-------

Quote:
“Something happened with the hockey team after Christmas where our team went from being, to me, one of the premier teams to all of a sudden going south,” Clarke said. “And it was going south fast. And there were reasons for that and I think Paul recognized there were problems with it and that he had to change the team. And it wasn’t going to stop.”

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 03:19 PM
04' hockey

"And it was going south fast. And there were reasons for that and I think Paul recognized there were problems with it and that he had to change the team. And it wasn’t going to stop."

translation ?, anybody

04' hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 03:20 PM
DumpyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04' hockey View Post
translation ?, anybody
Basically another Mike Richards was cancer thread.

DumpyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpyD View Post
Basically another Mike Richards was cancer thread.
That or "Holmgren is awesome!"

That NMC on Bryzgalov...yeah. That is NOT awesome.

edit: Then again, I guess it doesn't matter. With his cap hit(and salary), if he tanks as he ages we wouldn't be able to move him, not even to a team seeking to meet the cap floor.

08-02-2011, 03:24 PM
DumpyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
That or "Holmgren is awesome!"

That NMC on Bryzgalov...yeah. That is NOT awesome.

edit: Then again, I guess it doesn't matter. With his cap hit, if he tanks as he ages we wouldn't be able to move him.
But 90 year old Snider at the time won't have any problem burying him in the minors.

Old
08-02-2011, 03:46 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

would you mind scanning the cover?

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 03:51 PM
DumpyD

Old
08-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Lol thats awful

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 06:27 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

That's a pretty bad photoshop...his head is huge.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 06:29 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Yet another interesting quote from one of our higher ups. Still clear none of us had any idea what was going on, but something was up.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 06:51 PM
Flyerfan808

This is on par with how I feel.

Quote:
Nobody, Holmgren included, knows exactly how the Philadelphia Flyers will do next season.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 07:44 PM
CarolinaFlyerFan

Good article but it just makes me feel even more like the moves were stupid. I hope it works out.

CarolinaFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 07:47 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Yet another interesting quote from one of our higher ups. Still clear none of us had any idea what was going on, but something was up.
Just because something was wrong in their opinion doesn't mean they're right. I think there have been problems with management for years, between questionable signings, inept cap management and lack of CBA knowledge. They've also been very good at giving unnamed sources to the media who then run with a story that may or may not be relevant.

I think the only thing we can agree on is the dressing room likely had a lot of problems. Flyer fans had better hope that Pronger will be healthy AND effective, otherwise the next few years are going to be brutal.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 08:28 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1161
Upon a quick glance, one obvious mistake by the writer:
Quote:
Then there’s the legacy of Bob Clarke, the guy who once fired Roger Neilson as coach
That never happened. At the time, Clarke said "There are plenty of jobs in the organization for a hockey man" when it was decided that Neilson's health was a major concern.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 08:31 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Just because something was wrong in their opinion doesn't mean they're right. I think there have been problems with management for years, between questionable signings, inept cap management and lack of CBA knowledge. They've also been very good at giving unnamed sources to the media who then run with a story that may or may not be relevant.

I think the only thing we can agree on is the dressing room likely had a lot of problems. Flyer fans had better hope that Pronger will be healthy AND effective, otherwise the next few years are going to be brutal.
I'm pretty sure every team makes cap mistakes and questionable signings. But you can't deny that Snider, Clarke, and now Homer have this team in position to win every season, often times admitting their mistakes and correcting them. Whether or not it happens is sometimes out of their control, but they provide the pieces. But I feel your pain, I feel the same way with the Eagles.

As for what may or may not have been wrong in the locker room, we'll probably never know. But if Clarke felt that it wasn't going to stop going south...then we may have made the right moves. Again, it's yet to be seen.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Quote:
yup, anyone who thinks otherwise at this point is being naive and still is emotionally attached to players. Which is understandable until the season starts. If it wasn't abundantly clear that something about the two was wrong in the manner in which they were traded then I don't know what to tell you because actions in that case speak louder than words.

Hopefully they made the right choices, b.c although this management may not have the greatest track record, they have put teams on the ice that win a lot of games over the years and have gone a lot farther than some big market teams to boot.

One thing is clear across professional sports is that players cannot be bigger than the teams they play for, and that includes management, trainers, coaches alike. It's about breeding a winning culture, and that culture or attitude becomes contagious, for better or worse; starting with the teams leaders. Look at how Chad Ochocinco(sp?) and Hayneworth suddenly have their tails between legs once they are in an environment that they know they are not going to be able to stroke their egos anymore.

Last edited by Chicken Chaser: 08-02-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Chicken Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 08:53 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
I'm pretty sure every team makes cap mistakes and questionable signings. But you can't deny that Snider, Clarke, and now Homer have this team in position to win every season, often times admitting their mistakes and correcting them. Whether or not it happens is sometimes out of their control, but they provide the pieces. But I feel your pain, I feel the same way with the Eagles.

As for what may or may not have been wrong in the locker room, we'll probably never know. But if Clarke felt that it wasn't going to stop going south...then we may have made the right moves. Again, it's yet to be seen.
I don't think they're in a position to win every season. I do expect every team to make mistakes but Homer's have been repeated and he doesn't learn. This team needs a capologist in the worst way because he keeps making the same stupid moves.

Old
08-02-2011, 11:44 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
I don't think they're in a position to win every season. I do expect every team to make mistakes but Homer's have been repeated and he doesn't learn. This team needs a capologist in the worst way because he keeps making the same stupid moves.
You don't like Barry Hanraharaharahan's work?

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:14 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
This I agree with, we need someone who understands the CBA. But no one is going to stop Homer making moves. If he see's something wrong he'll do something about it. Usually to the detriment of the fans, but as was said in the report. The guy has balls. This season will define his tenure as a GM.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 07:03 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
You don't like Barry Hanraharaharahan's work?
If that guy truly is the team's capologist he should have been fired the day Upshall/2nd were sent to Phx for Carcillo.

Old
08-03-2011, 08:32 AM
BernieParent

Quote:

Of course every team makes poor choices from time to time. What drives me up the wall with Holmgren is the bonehead moves that he doesn't have to make, and compounding problems with other moves. I would like to think that every deal is carefully weighed against short- and long-term implications and risk:benefit, but I have a very hard time rationalizing several deals in this way. The Lilja signing is only the most recent example. Plus, the admin essentially admitting they misunderstood the CBA 35+ contract rules when they signed Pronger? That's flat-out embarrassing.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 10:04 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Of course every team makes poor choices from time to time. What drives me up the wall with Holmgren is the bonehead moves that he doesn't have to make, and compounding problems with other moves. I would like to think that every deal is carefully weighed against short- and long-term implications and risk:benefit, but I have a very hard time rationalizing several deals in this way. The Lilja signing is only the most recent example. Plus, the admin essentially admitting they misunderstood the CBA 35+ contract rules when they signed Pronger? That's flat-out embarrassing.
Don't forget the 3 year deal for Shelley.

Old
08-03-2011, 10:48 AM
MsWoof

Just got a reply from someone at Capgeek and he said Bryz has a full NMC. FML (not to be confused with MFL).

Old
08-03-2011, 11:29 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Just got a reply from someone at Capgeek and he said Bryz has a full NMC. FML (not to be confused with MFL).
1) MFL and MFL are very closely related

2) ARRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (in like 5 years)

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:53 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
1) MFL and MFL are very closely related

2) ARRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (in like 5 years)
So close that you typed MFL twice on accident.

Why is Holmgren so amenable to giving guys these clauses.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote