HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So Shea wants a short term deal ?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-02-2011, 01:42 PM
  #701
pekkaslap
Registered User
 
pekkaslap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 370
vCash: 500
I don't think Poile would trade Weber, even being faced with losing him after a year or two. That said, if something crazy like that did happen, there better be an agreement in place with a guy like Parise before the trade happened.

pekkaslap is offline  
Old
08-02-2011, 01:43 PM
  #702
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 17,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekkaslap View Post
I don't think Poile would trade Weber, even being faced with losing him after a year or two. That said, if something crazy like that did happen, there better be an agreement in place with a guy like Parise before the trade happened.
I'd hope it would be Parise++ Shea Weber is an elite defenseman, top 4 on most list. Parise isn't top 4.

triggrman is offline  
Old
08-02-2011, 01:44 PM
  #703
trevorbird
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
Is there actually anything to the Parise talk, or is it just HF fodder?

trevorbird is offline  
Old
08-02-2011, 01:46 PM
  #704
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 11,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I'd hope it would be Parise++ Shea Weber is an elite defenseman, top 4 on most list. Parise isn't top 4.
Plus, Weber will still be a RFA and Parise will be a UFA. Though, you have to assume the parties involved will be able to talk contract before the trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorbird View Post
Is there actually anything to the Parise talk, or is it just HF fodder?
fodder

AtlantaWhaler is offline  
Old
08-02-2011, 01:48 PM
  #705
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 17,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Plus, Weber will still be a RFA and Parise will be a UFA. Though, you have to assume the parties involved will be able to talk contract before the trade.



fodder
Poile doesn't extend contracts early, if he did, Radulov would still be here.

triggrman is offline  
Old
08-02-2011, 02:20 PM
  #706
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Poile doesn't extend contracts early, if he did, Radulov would still be here.
Radulov was trying to get a deal extended before Poile even could extend it. He left for Russia on July 10/11 (I think) which would have given Poile less than two weeks to negotiate that extension.

Poile doesn't like to talk contracts during the season, but this year he is going to have to. Especially after this Weber debacle. If he doesn't he might lose his job. The owners are learning how to surround themselves with guys who know the sport. They are becoming less and less dependent on David Poile, and he knows it.

TMI is offline  
Old
08-02-2011, 02:24 PM
  #707
RaiderDoug
Registered User
 
RaiderDoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Knoxville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Plus, Weber will still be a RFA and Parise will be a UFA. Though, you have to assume the parties involved will be able to talk contract before the trade.



fodder
Fun fodder, after this craptastic morning.

I consulted the EA sports NHL 11 Crystal Ball

Weber for Parise+pick. Sign Parise to a 5 year 35 mil extension. Give Suter 5@6.5. Extend Rinne at 5.5 for 4 years. Go out and sign Scott Hannan for 2.5 for a year.

SK-Parise-Erat
Hornqvist-Fisher-Wilson
Toots-Legwand-Bergfors
Spaling-O'Reilly-Smithson
Geoffrion

Suter-Blum
Hannan-Klein
Insert your favorite rookie D-men here

Rinne
Lindback.

Looks good to me. Why can't this be as simple as a video game.

RaiderDoug is offline  
Old
08-02-2011, 02:30 PM
  #708
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 10,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Fun fodder, after this craptastic morning.

I consulted the EA sports NHL 11 Crystal Ball

Weber for Parise+pick. Sign Parise to a 5 year 35 mil extension. Give Suter 5@6.5. Extend Rinne at 5.5 for 4 years. Go out and sign Scott Hannan for 2.5 for a year.

SK-Parise-Erat
Hornqvist-Fisher-Wilson
Toots-Legwand-Bergfors
Spaling-O'Reilly-Smithson
Geoffrion

Suter-Blum
Hannan-Klein
Insert your favorite rookie D-men here

Rinne
Lindback.

Looks good to me. Why can't this be as simple as a video game.
Looks good to me. A few notes though. Parise is a winger for one. I'd rather see Horny-Fisher-SK and Erat-Legwand-Parise as the top two lines. get some balance. But lovin it otherwise.

My only other concern is Suter and Blum on a pairing together. They play a very similar style. not sure how they would complement each other....


Last edited by Top 6 Spaling: 08-02-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Top 6 Spaling is offline  
Old
08-02-2011, 02:46 PM
  #709
RaiderDoug
Registered User
 
RaiderDoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Knoxville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Looks good to me. A few notes though. Parise is a winger for one. I'd rather see Horny-Fisher-SK and Erat-Legwand-Parise as the top two lines. get some balance. But lovin it otherwise.

My only other concern is Suter and Blum on a pairing together. They play a very similar style. not sure how they would complement each other....
I wasn't really coming up with lines - just a depth chart of sorts. There's no telling what Trotz will roll out there anyway.

RaiderDoug is offline  
Old
08-02-2011, 03:06 PM
  #710
roseyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,065
vCash: 500
If we can't afford Weber how can we afford Parise then? He wants as much as Weber or more. Even if we traded Weber straight up for Parise then what he plays for one year and leaves.

roseyc is offline  
Old
08-02-2011, 03:11 PM
  #711
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 17,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
If we can't afford Weber how can we afford Parise then? He wants as much as Weber or more. Even if we traded Weber straight up for Parise then what he plays for one year and leaves.
yeah, next year we'd lose Parise as an UFA..

Guess we need to face the facts. We don't have a team committed to winning, just a team committed to staying in Nashville. I guess I'm ok with that, just don't lie to me and act like you're committed. It's like telling a one night stand you love her...

triggrman is offline  
Old
08-02-2011, 03:27 PM
  #712
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
If we can't afford Weber how can we afford Parise then? He wants as much as Weber or more. Even if we traded Weber straight up for Parise then what he plays for one year and leaves.
Again, there has been absolutely no indication that we cannot afford Weber. It's purely speculation. We are $7m under the cap floor. Even if Weber wants $8m that would put us only a million over the cap floor, and it would make Weber one of the highest paid defensemen in the league. Money doesn't seem to be the issue unless our team simply cannot afford to even hit the cap floor, and then we have entirely different problems all together.

TMI is offline  
Old
08-02-2011, 03:34 PM
  #713
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short
 
Roman Yoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Again, there has been absolutely no indication that we cannot afford Weber. It's purely speculation. We are $7m under the cap floor. Even if Weber wants $8m that would put us only a million over the cap floor, and it would make Weber one of the highest paid defensemen in the league. Money doesn't seem to be the issue unless our team simply cannot afford to even hit the cap floor, and then we have entirely different problems all together.
If Shea wants 7m for one year why isn't the deal done? If I was DP, how could I say no to that? He is still an RFA so even if we can't sign him we can at least trade him at the deadline. This is an absolute disaster and has set our team back. As a fan, I no longer believe we are committed to wining and only surviving.

Roman Yoshi is offline  
Old
08-02-2011, 03:35 PM
  #714
roseyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Again, there has been absolutely no indication that we cannot afford Weber. It's purely speculation. We are $7m under the cap floor. Even if Weber wants $8m that would put us only a million over the cap floor, and it would make Weber one of the highest paid defensemen in the league. Money doesn't seem to be the issue unless our team simply cannot afford to even hit the cap floor, and then we have entirely different problems all together.
If it isn't the money then why did it go to arbitration? Either it's the money we can't get more offense or we can't afford a 7ml player it's either or. We don't and probably won't know all the details

roseyc is offline  
Old
08-02-2011, 03:36 PM
  #715
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 17,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Again, there has been absolutely no indication that we cannot afford Weber. It's purely speculation. We are $7m under the cap floor. Even if Weber wants $8m that would put us only a million over the cap floor, and it would make Weber one of the highest paid defensemen in the league. Money doesn't seem to be the issue unless our team simply cannot afford to even hit the cap floor, and then we have entirely different problems all together.
Actions speak louder than words.

triggrman is offline  
Old
08-02-2011, 03:36 PM
  #716
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,883
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Poile doesn't extend contracts early, if he did, Radulov would still be here.
except for when he does, like he did with Vokoun, Rinne, Legwand, Erat....

just like hes too cheap to pay anybody, except for Legwand, Erat,Sullivan, Dumont, Arnott, kariya, Vokoun, Rinne, Suter....

and for the record... Radulov left town before Poile had a chance to extend him.... poile couldnt even start to negotiate until july 1st and rads was already heading out


Last edited by PredsV82: 08-02-2011 at 03:50 PM.
PredsV82 is offline  
Old
08-02-2011, 03:37 PM
  #717
lstcyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,967
vCash: 500
Is there any possibility that both sides wanted the arbitration to set an amount for the year? With the issue (probably) length of contract and the CBA expiration playing into the negotiations (I'm surmising), why not just let the arbitrator decide the number?

lstcyr is offline  
Old
08-02-2011, 03:38 PM
  #718
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 17,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
except for when he does, like he did with Vokoun, Rinne, Legwand, Erat....
Extended Vokoun right before he traded him.

Also, weren't all of those RFA signings not extensions?

triggrman is offline  
Old
08-02-2011, 03:39 PM
  #719
roseyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
except for when he does, like he did with Vokoun, Rinne, Legwand, Erat....

just like hes too cheap to pay anybody, except for Legwand, Erat,Sullivan, Dumont, Arnott, kariya, Vokoun, Rinne, Suter....
and Smithson

roseyc is offline  
Old
08-02-2011, 03:41 PM
  #720
roseyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
Is there any possibility that both sides wanted the arbitration to set an amount for the year? With the issue (probably) length of contract and the CBA expiration playing into the negotiations (I'm surmising), why not just let the arbitrator decide the number?
It hasn't been really explained how the NHL arbitration works in MLB the arbitration takes an either or approach. If Weber say 10 ml and Poile says 2ml for instance the Arb. would take one or other

roseyc is offline  
Old
08-02-2011, 03:43 PM
  #721
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 17,269
vCash: 500
Erat wasn't extended but Legwand was, on Dec 7th.

Erat was signed at the end of the season, just a few months before RFA.

And as far as the too cheap comment, using guys making less than 5m doesn't mean you're paying top dollar, we've never ever had a top dollar player, Shea will be our first and you see how they had to fight for that.

I'm sure you'll be making bs excuses next year on why it's smart for us to let Suter walk.

triggrman is offline  
Old
08-02-2011, 03:44 PM
  #722
lstcyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
It hasn't been really explained how the NHL arbitration works in MLB the arbitration takes an either or approach. If Weber say 10 ml and Poile says 2ml for instance the Arb. would take one or other
That's why the two sides are probably closer in MLB. In this case, if the two numbers were $2mm and $10mm and you had to choose one or the other, then $10mm is more reasonable for Weber. I think if it were MLB style we would have seen $6-6.5 mm and $8mm on the other side.

lstcyr is offline  
Old
08-02-2011, 03:45 PM
  #723
tulsytrid1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Murfreesbo Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 1,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Erat wasn't extended but Legwand was, on Dec 7th.

Erat was signed at the end of the season, just a few months before RFA.

And as far as the too cheap comment, using guys making less than 5m doesn't mean you're paying top dollar, we've never ever had a top dollar player, Shea will be our first and you see how they had to fight for that.

I'm sure you'll be making bs excuses next year on why it's smart for us to let Suter walk.
Exactly!

tulsytrid1 is offline  
Old
08-02-2011, 03:46 PM
  #724
I Will Son
An Army of One
 
I Will Son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 7,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Erat wasn't extended but Legwand was, on Dec 7th.

Erat was signed at the end of the season, just a few months before RFA.

And as far as the too cheap comment, using guys making less than 5m doesn't mean you're paying top dollar, we've never ever had a top dollar player, Shea will be our first and you see how they had to fight for that.

I'm sure you'll be making bs excuses next year on why it's smart for us to let Suter walk.
yuup

I Will Son is offline  
Old
08-02-2011, 04:33 PM
  #725
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
If Shea wants 7m for one year why isn't the deal done? If I was DP, how could I say no to that? He is still an RFA so even if we can't sign him we can at least trade him at the deadline. This is an absolute disaster and has set our team back. As a fan, I no longer believe we are committed to wining and only surviving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
If it isn't the money then why did it go to arbitration? Either it's the money we can't get more offense or we can't afford a 7ml player it's either or. We don't and probably won't know all the details
There isn't much of a difference between a one year deal from an arbiter and a one year deal from a GM by the time next summer rolls around. Either way, Weber cannot be taken to team elected arbitration. He can file for arbitration himself, and in that case he either gets a one year deal that takes him to free agency or the team walks and he becomes a UFA one year early. Either way, Weber is going to be open to offer sheets if he chooses to not seek arbitration. The threat is very real even if the likelihood is low that one comes in. Either way, Weber isn't committed to the team, and gets to see what moves, if any, are made. He also gets to see how the new CBA negotiations are going. Simply put, the last thing Poile could do was stand his ground and potentially get the same length at a lower cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
It hasn't been really explained how the NHL arbitration works in MLB the arbitration takes an either or approach. If Weber say 10 ml and Poile says 2ml for instance the Arb. would take one or other
It actually was briefly explained a couple of times. The team will give its figure, the player will give his figure, and the arbiter will decide on an amount that falls between those two figures once arguments are heard and the hearing is over. An arbiter does NOT have to choose between the two, though he or she can absolutely choose one of them.

TMI is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.