HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Price Ranked 5th In NHL Goalie Ranking

Closed Thread

Old
08-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
You sound like another hater, trying to make excuses for another persons success. MAF is a good goalie, get over it.
MAF is not a good goalie, I seriously don't know what you're talking about. Shaky glove hand, questionable positioning, not a great puck handler. Not worth the money he gets. When I watch him, I realize just how lucky Canadiens fans are to have Carey Price.

Old
08-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Great One

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
A little /thread for all of you:

1) No matter what you say MAF is a solid goalie improving still.
2) No matter what you say even given age TT is the best goalie presently.
3) Price is exactly where he should be. 5th is a good achievement for a 23 year old. Wake up and realize it.

/thread.

Agree with this 100%. Anyone who don't see Thomas as being the best goalie in the league right now haven't watched much hockey in the past year. Sure he have an unorthodox style but I don't think any other goalie in this league, including Price, could have carried the Bruins the way Thomas did last year no matter what some people believe here. Also I agree that Price is exactly where he should be at this point in his career. Price has all the potential in the world and still just 23 years old so he have plenty of time to develop into one of if not the best goalie in the league in a couple of years.

Old
08-02-2011, 04:14 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
No, but they were one of the best coached team playing a good defensive system. That is the difference, not MAF. MAF just collects from the system. Again, he is an above average goalie, but nothing more. He sits at about numero 10 on my list. Too lazy to make one.

Those Pens got eliminated rather quickly BTW, so not a + to mention that
Yea Patrick Roy was just an average goalie that benefited from defensive teams and he didn't make it past the first round 5 times in his career. He's just a product of the system.

MAF's career will be along par with Luongo's and better than Thomas's even though Thomas had the single greatest season ever by a goalie. You need to watch more of Pittsburg's games especially this past year. He was a large part of their success.

Old
08-02-2011, 04:38 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
This. But I do think if you put Price on the Bruins he would be the best goaltender in the league.
I think any of the top 5 and even maybe some of the top 10 would have definitely done great things on this past years Bruins teams. Point is though Thomas is the one who did. We can't go based on what if's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great One View Post
Agree with this 100%. Anyone who don't see Thomas as being the best goalie in the league right now haven't watched much hockey in the past year. Sure he have an unorthodox style but I don't think any other goalie in this league, including Price, could have carried the Bruins the way Thomas did last year no matter what some people believe here. Also I agree that Price is exactly where he should be at this point in his career. Price has all the potential in the world and still just 23 years old so he have plenty of time to develop into one of if not the best goalie in the league in a couple of years.
You know what I think others could have but I just think Thomas did it in such great fashion. People say he flops around like a seal. That unorthodox "seal stance" won the cup. Not stand up or butterfly. He's a great athlete and even though he's a B and a doofus like the rest of them as a player I have a lot of respect for him. He's in his late 30s never really been anything before that first Vezina really, and look how much he's accomplished as of late. 2 vezina's and a cup, and he did it on his own terms. He had a good team in front of him but they all do at the end of the day. Even the injured habs are direly underrated as is our coaching.

At the end of the day though Thomas did what he did not Rinne, not Price, so while I respect all three goalies a lot Thomas is the #1 goalie for right now.

In terms of value I'd say Price is #1.

Think about what makes Crosby so great. Sure he has immense high end talent, but it's the mere fact of what he's accomplished at such a young age. Price is no Crosby, but he could won day have an impact on this team in an identical way perhaps even better. Not saying he's going to post 40 shutouts a season. I could see Price putting up 15 though even with a solid D in front of him. Call me crazy but he's got the actual technique down to a tee. Anytime he has an area of weakness or so it seems... he doesn't anymore after a while. To develop so rapidly for a young goalie I'm very happy. I think a lot of people are now starting to realize Price is a superstar who could be the #1 goalie in the league for many years to come.

In terms of value I'd rank him #1.

Last edited by neofury*: 08-02-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old
08-02-2011, 04:44 PM
JOKER 192

Reality is he's never taken his team out of the first round 'til then it's hard to put him above those that have .

Old
08-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKER 192 View Post
Reality is he's never taken his team out of the first round 'til then it's hard to put him above those that have .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Stanley_Cup_Playoffs

That doesn't count?

Old
08-02-2011, 04:49 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
He may have won one playoff round but Price is far from an NHL playoff success. He's got a lot to prove still. He's lucky enough to be on a better team than other high first round goalie picks have in the past. He's getting some valuable experience and I'm hoping he's going to be unreal in a couple years when he hits his prime.

Old
08-02-2011, 04:52 PM
JOKER 192

Quote:
Well he's the most consistent high end player and doesn't get injured often. 80+ games a season dating back to two years before the lockout. Only one of them being sub 82. Even the year he only netted 60pts which was actually 5+ years ago (crazy huh, his worst season 5+ years ago was 60+) he netted 30+ goals which would put him at the top of the league for goal scorers as well.

He's always a top point getter but even when he had one mediocre season (by his standard) he still put up 31 goals. In his defense it was the season right after the lockout too. Some players played great while others regressed that year. Weird year in general.

Basically for the past 5 years though he's been a top 5 NHL guy (or close to, would need to double check) every year.

You can't say that about anyone else really. Even Ovy, Kovalchuk have faltered. Crosby has been injured as has Malkin.

For a guy whose 5'7" it's pretty crazy that he stays healthy.

At the end of the day he's the kind of person you want on your team in a big way regardless.
AMEN! Nothing to add!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Did I say the first round I meant the second .

Last edited by Habsfan18: 08-02-2011 at 05:36 PM. Reason: merged posts
Old
08-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

Disregarding personal opinions, as a NYC born Sabres fan living in Montreal it's cool to see the 3 teams I know the best have their goalies in the top 5.

The NE is representing hard!

Old
08-02-2011, 05:24 PM
matCH penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasis View Post
Disregarding personal opinions, as a NYC born Sabres fan living in Montreal it's cool to see the 3 teams I know the best have their goalies in the top 5.

The NE is representing hard!
This is definitely the division for goaltending.

Old
08-02-2011, 05:37 PM
JOKER 192

Just courious how many Habs fans would Swap Loungo the kid from Montreal For Price the B.C. BOY. They both could play in thier home Province ,it just makes more sense,I wouldn't do it ,I think Loungo is a prime choker but just wondering.

Old
08-02-2011, 05:38 PM
Pavelec4MVP
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Tough to argue with that list.
Looks accurate to me.

But I would take Price over any of them if I was starting a team today.

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
Old
08-02-2011, 05:40 PM
JOKER 192

Quote:
I think any of the top 5 and even maybe some of the top 10 would have definitely done great things on this past years Bruins teams. Point is though Thomas is the one who did. We can't go based on what if's.

You know what I think others could have but I just think Thomas did it in such great fashion. People say he flops around like a seal. That unorthodox "seal stance" won the cup. Not stand up or butterfly. He's a great athlete and even though he's a B and a doofus like the rest of them as a player I have a lot of respect for him. He's in his late 30s never really been anything before that first Vezina really, and look how much he's accomplished as of late. 2 vezina's and a cup, and he did it on his own terms. He had a good team in front of him but they all do at the end of the day. Even the injured habs are direly underrated as is our coaching.

At the end of the day though Thomas did what he did not Rinne, not Price, so while I respect all three goalies a lot Thomas is the #1 goalie for right now.

In terms of value I'd say Price is #1.

Think about what makes Crosby so great. Sure he has immense high end talent, but it's the mere fact of what he's accomplished at such a young age. Price is no Crosby, but he could won day have an impact on this team in an identical way perhaps even better. Not saying he's going to post 40 shutouts a season. I could see Price putting up 15 though even with a solid D in front of him. Call me crazy but he's got the actual technique down to a tee. Anytime he has an area of weakness or so it seems... he doesn't anymore after a while. To develop so rapidly for a young goalie I'm very happy. I think a lot of people are now starting to realize Price is a superstar who could be the #1 goalie in the league for many years to come.

In terms of value I'd rank him #1.
I think Thomas proved technique is way over rated .

Old
08-02-2011, 05:58 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Did I say the first round I meant the second .
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
He may have won one playoff round but Price is far from an NHL playoff success. He's got a lot to prove still. He's lucky enough to be on a better team than other high first round goalie picks have in the past. He's getting some valuable experience and I'm hoping he's going to be unreal in a couple years when he hits his prime.
Wasn't even disagreeing with the points you guys had... just being a smartass

Old
08-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Just courious how many Habs fans would Swap Loungo the kid from Montreal For Price the B.C. BOY. They both could play in thier home Province ,it just makes more sense,I wouldn't do it ,I think Loungo is a prime choker but just wondering.
I'd only do it if it's something like Price/Plex for Luongo/Kesler

Old
08-02-2011, 06:39 PM
JOKER 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I'd take that if I was the Nucks

Old
08-02-2011, 06:39 PM
neofury*

Quote:
LOL I love Kesler but sorry no.

I would actually ask for more. Price and Subban for me are untouchable. You want to talk Subban, let's talk Crosby or GTFO.

You want to talk Price don't even bother lol. The way I see it like I said above he has the most value of any goalie in the NHL. He's the goalie you get right now if for the next decade you want to remain a contender. Our battered team went far because of him and I think the way he's progressing the next 8-10 seasons are going to be crazy good as a result of Price/Subban.

Let the fans on the main forums talk **** and underestimate this team. We're going to do just fine. Won't deny how lucky we are though.

Old
08-02-2011, 06:46 PM
matCH penalty

Quote:
Won't deny how lucky we are though.
Being good is fine, but being lucky and good is something else.

I forget quite how that saying goes.

Old
08-02-2011, 06:48 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
LOL I love Kesler but sorry no.

I would actually ask for more. Price and Subban for me are untouchable. You want to talk Subban, let's talk Crosby or GTFO.

You want to talk Price don't even bother lol. The way I see it like I said above he has the most value of any goalie in the NHL. He's the goalie you get right now if for the next decade you want to remain a contender. Our battered team went far because of him and I think the way he's progressing the next 8-10 seasons are going to be crazy good as a result of Price/Subban.

Let the fans on the main forums talk **** and underestimate this team. We're going to do just fine. Won't deny how lucky we are though.
I wouldn't even want Crosby for Subban. IMO, Subban has the most worth on the Habs, in a league filled with talented goalies. Kesler is a clear notch over Plex, while Luongo and Price are pretty even, and the Montreal goalie machine would do wonders for Luongo (even though he's already elite).

Anyway, It's not really what I would be looking for, I wouldn't want to trade either (Price and Subban)

Old
08-02-2011, 07:36 PM
JOKER 192

I wouldn't take Crosby for anyone, he's finished ,but u r way over estimating P.K.

Old
08-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
I wouldn't take Crosby for anyone, he's finished ,but u r way over estimating P.K.
That's what people said when I said PK was ready for the top 4 in January 2010. That's what people said when I said PK would take up the first pairing somewhere in his rookie season.

PK will be a top 5 D overall in this league, if not the best D. You can say whatever you want, that's what I'm calling.

Old
08-02-2011, 08:06 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
I think Thomas proved technique is way over rated .
I think Thomas proved that you can play a very poor positional game if you make the stops needed AND your team clears out the juicy rebounds you constantly give up.

Old
08-02-2011, 08:29 PM
Great One

Quote:
I wouldn't even want Crosby for Subban. IMO, Subban has the most worth on the Habs, in a league filled with talented goalies. Kesler is a clear notch over Plex, while Luongo and Price are pretty even, and the Montreal goalie machine would do wonders for Luongo (even though he's already elite).

Anyway, It's not really what I would be looking for, I wouldn't want to trade either (Price and Subban)

You sir just lost any credibility you ever had with this statement. I think your erection for Subban is doing all the thinking here and it's kinda making you look like you have no idea what you're talking about.
And IMO, Price definitely has the most worth on the Habs. In fact, like it was mentioned before, he quite possibly has the most value for any goaltender in the league. It may not be quite clear to you yet because i'm willing to bet you were one of the fans hoping the Habs would trade Price instead of Halak but give it a year or two and you'll see exactly what i'm talking about.

Old
08-02-2011, 08:31 PM
JOKER 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
I think Thomas proved that you can play a very poor positional game if you make the stops needed AND your team clears out the juicy rebounds you constantly give up.
I guess that would explain best save % of all time in a season,second only to Hasek all-time,another unconventional goalie,maybe ur over evaluating the lateral movements u all love so much .Not to mention Stanley Cup,Conn Smyth and 2 Vezina's,what else do u need.

Old
08-02-2011, 08:39 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
I guess that would explain best save % of all time in a season,second only to Hasek all-time,another unconventional goalie,maybe ur over evaluating the lateral movements u all love so much .Not to mention Stanley Cup,Conn Smyth and 2 Vezina's,what else do u need.
Meh, he's had a good couple of seasons but people for some reason continually ignore how good defensively all of their forwards are, how good in his own zone Chara is. How well the entire team is at clearing rebounds out.

You could have thrown Miller, Lundqvist, Price or Ward on that Bruins team and they would have won the cup.

I LOL at people who actually think Thomas was the number 1 reason tehy won the cup.

Closed Thread