HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Glen Sather appreciation thread

Old
08-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
We have a good team now, that's a few players away from being very good for a long time.
No, we dont. We might

If this team proves that they are good, Ill be more optimistic - its really as simple as that, and it astounds me that people cant understand that and misconstrue it as "hatred"

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Some can't forget the past. Too bad for you. We have a good team now, that's a few players away from being very good for a long time.
There's plenty of teams that are "a few players away from being very good". Can we just let these guys prove themselves first before we go around kissing everyones *****? It's absolutely premature. Sather has done nothing to deserve appreciation. On the other hand, he has done plenty to deserve the cynicism that's directed his way, but I'm a realist and I know he's not getting fired anytime soon so I'll save my rants against him for a later and more appropriate time.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 09:57 PM
alkurtz

Only one team wins the last game of the year. Everyone else goes home frustrated and unhappy. Uncertainty is the essense of sports and in this era of parity, none of us know what is going to happen. That is the joy of sports.

A good GM gives his coach the best tools he can to suceed each and every year. Sather has done that but once the team hits the ice in September, things are pretty much out of his control. If Richards suffers a concussion in his first game or underperforms, will it be Sather's fault? If our young D regreseses, will it be Sather's fault?

If you only judge your happiness as a fan by a team's win/loss record, you are in forba long unhappy sports life. Believe me, as a hardcore, passionate fan whose Ranger memories go back to 1958, I have seen bad teams, bad years, bad decades.

So much of what happens in sports is happenstance. Five years ago, I would have given Sather an F. Right now I would give him a B for recent performance. Come opening night, the onus transfers to Torts and the players. The front office has done its job and seems to have done it well.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 11:35 PM
Kershaw

The only success however is winning the Stanley Cup and Sather hasn't been close to that despite dishing out the most money during the dark ages era. I'll give him a D for now since he at least makes the team respectable, but it should be much better.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 11:39 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
No, we dont. We might

If this team proves that they are good, Ill be more optimistic - its really as simple as that, and it astounds me that people cant understand that and misconstrue it as "hatred"
I think you're confusing optimism with confidence. Right now I'm optimistic, but I'm not confident.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 11:41 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

I wanna see a poll of who approves of Sather as of this summer and then later in the season have a couple of more votes.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 12:29 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
I wanna see a poll of who approves of Sather as of this summer and then later in the season have a couple of more votes.
make it so number one.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 06:47 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
The moves don't matter. Winning does.

08-02-2011, 09:11 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

What exactly are we appreciating here? I'm confused.

Our GM who hasn't won **** since his arrival?

"Kudos Glen, you re-signed our RFA's, and signed a player who wanted to play here".

Sather's on the right track. I have no problem giving him a little credit for not making an asinine signing this summer, like he's done year after year since he took over. But this thread is best saved for when his team actually accomplishes something.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 07:08 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
There's plenty of teams that are "a few players away from being very good". Can we just let these guys prove themselves first before we go around kissing everyones *****? It's absolutely premature. Sather has done nothing to deserve appreciation. On the other hand, he has done plenty to deserve the cynicism that's directed his way, but I'm a realist and I know he's not getting fired anytime soon so I'll save my rants against him for a later and more appropriate time.
I'm not going around kissing anything and i agree there is a lot to prove, but at this point myself and others can give the GM credit and appreciate that he has improved this team considerably by signing the most coveted player in the offseason along with a very good role player. That plus locking up core players with reasonable deals. Not to mention undoing mistakes and getting unproductive players off the roster.

if you don't find anything worth appreciating in Sather that's fine, but don't post in this thread calling me an @ss kisser because I do.

thanks

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Crease

He's getting better, that's for sure.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 07:18 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The moves don't matter. Winning does.
I agree, but I think it would be interesting to look back at said poll and see how wrong/right we were about those moves.

08-02-2011, 08:41 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
and he still sucks.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
And thats what its come to.

At this point we can all agree "hes getting better"

But what the hell does that even mean when its compared to several years of some of the most incompetent managing, team building and yes, even coaching, one could imagine?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
at this point myself and others can give the GM credit and appreciate that he has improved this team considerably by signing the most coveted player in the offseason along with a very good role player. That plus locking up core players with reasonable deals. Not to mention undoing mistakes and getting unproductive players off the roster.
I have a hard time giving credit to him for signing Richards. I like the signing, but I'll reserve any credit giving until I see some results first. Not to mention, I wonder how many other teams could have guaranteed Richards 20 millions over the next 12 months.

Locking up players? Not impressed.

Undoing mistakes? Mistakes that only an idiot would have made. Sorry, I can't go around giving thumbs up to someone that is afforded the luxury of burying his problems, or waits around for a bigger fool to unload them on.

Quote:
if you don't find anything worth appreciating in Sather that's fine, but don't post in this thread calling me an @ss kisser because I do.

thanks
My sincere apologies. Now please wipe what I'll assume to be remnants of a snickers bar off your face.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:08 PM
94now

I didn't want to get back to the thread I started way back. But I have to. It will be short:

Sather is the most improved GM in NHL. He, however, is still below average.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:25 PM
chosen

Quote:
I donít think itís ridiculous at all to compare Sather as GM to other GMs of similar tenures. You do, because you must retain your argument and thatís fine for you if thatís your reality.

Iíve acknowledged that several of the teams Iíve mentioned produced a better overall product than that of the NYR over the past years. Some have stated that no cup equals failure in this thread.

I can forget the past because weíre on the right track now! Iím not happy it has taken this long, but Iím glad weíre getting there. Iím not handing Sather a GM of the year award, but to continually harp on someoneís past failures when they have taken strides to improve is dysfunctional, ignorant behavior.

*learn how to use the quote feature...
Quotes are a problem with long posts on a Droid.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:30 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Talk about hyperbole. Who is throwing a parade? Who is congratulating Sather on a "job well done"?
Maybe you missed the title of the thread and some its comments.

Quote:
Everyone who feels positively about what Sather has been doing of late understands that the job isn't finished and that there is still room for improvement. And actually, I don't just point to the future as positive. Yes, we got into the playoffs on the last day of the season and got bumped in 5 games. The positive isn't the "what" of last season, but rather the "how." We missed the playoffs on the last day of the season a year earlier. We're essentially talking about a team that was one point better than a year ago, but it FELT a lot better. Why? Because a year ago, I was concerned about a sinking ship. This year, I'm excited about taking the next step (which would be middle of the pack playoff team, rather than bubble team).
You feel better, ergo, things are now different in reality. Got ya.

Quote:
Oh, and as for the dictatorship comment: the comparison of how someone feels about a GM of a hockey team (albeit one that I'm passionate about) to how someone feels about a situation that affects someones life and well-being is too ridiculous for words... other than to call it too ridiculous for words.
It's called an analogy. Analogies are not about degrees of severity. They are about the relationship between two items.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 11:24 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I didn't really want to bump this thread, but I have a question.

If you consider the Rangers finishing in 8th place this past season 'amazing', wouldn't that indicate how horrendous of a job Glen Sather has done as general manager of this team?

Fans shouldn't be content with mediocrity - let alone ecstatic over it.

Look, I'm happy with the current direction of this franchise too, but, as it stands, the team has proven nothing - they're still a borderline playoff team. And, until the team finishes with home ice, or they win 2 playoff rounds, it's still just a roster with shiny 'young' players and the usual free agents attempting to lead this team to the promised land. I think the roster is well constructed, but nothing is 'amazing' just yet.

JMO.
That's not what I said. I said things are finally going amazingly, not the most recent results have been amazing. Back in the dark ages, as some have affectionately called them, we didn't develop from within. Frequently we didn't bother trying, but when we did we did it poorly. Back in those times I used to say all I would want is for the process to change. To draft well and then hold onto those guys, develop them within a system. Results don't just come out of nowhere. Results follow process. We now have the right process. Results will come. Now is not the time for Rangers fans to look for a new leader.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 12:42 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Maybe you missed the title of the thread and some its comments.
Hmm... Maybe you did? The only times this thread has been started or bumped are during specific situations in which the OP or bumper was happy with a move Sather made. Specifically, the 2009 deadline deals, the Gomez trade and our current positive offseason. The words "job well done" were only used in relation to specific events and later, to refer to the more recent past. No one ever intended for them to mean for his tenure.

Quote:
You feel better, ergo, things are now different in reality. Got ya.
Were you unhappy with the way we got there this year? I mean, take out the fact that the reality is that we finished in mediocre position for a moment. Would you rather have limped all the way through the season and made a desperate run at the end or would you rather have overcome adversity from injuries and worked hard all the way through the season? That's all I mean by that. These aren't feelings, theyre the facts of the stories of the last two seasons.

Quote:
It's called an analogy. Analogies are not about degrees of severity. They are about the relationship between two items.
Analogies require analogous situations.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:06 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
A good GM gives his coach the best tools he can to suceed each and every year. Sather has done that but once the team hits the ice in September, things are pretty much out of his control. If Richards suffers a concussion in his first game or underperforms, will it be Sather's fault? If our young D regreseses, will it be Sather's fault?
Quote:
So much of what happens in sports is happenstance. Five years ago, I would have given Sather an F. Right now I would give him a B for recent performance. Come opening night, the onus transfers to Torts and the players. The front office has done its job and seems to have done it well.
I think both of these statements represent some seriously flawed logic, and I take issue with both of them.

I have been as ardent a supporter of acquiring Richards as anyone, but that does not mean that I feel that his acquisition is akin to Sather having done a good job. Yes, Sather made the right move in acquiring Richards, but that does not mean that Sather has given his coach the best tools that he can, or that the front off ice has done it's job.

What Sather has done is made the best out of a bad situation, one that is entirely of his own making. The front office doing it's job...Sather giving his coach the best tools...that would only be true if the Rangers, under Sather's watch, had managed to develop a young franchise forward. As it stands, they did not do that (which seems pretty clearly one of the most, if not the most important thing, that a franchise can do in an effort to build a stable and consistent winning hockey club).

Instead, the Rangers painted themselves into a corner, and left their fate to chance and circumstance. I wanted them to sign Richards because signing him was the only positive move to be made out of said corner. Yes, I'm all for acquiring him, but that doesn't change that indeed the future of the team rests on the acquisition of a 31 year old free agent who recently suffered a concussion. I, for one, am confident that Brad Richards will be a very good investment for the New York Rangers, but that does not alter the fact that acquiring him because he is essentially the only possible chance that this team had toward achieving any sort of playoff success is not representative of a strong teambuilding concept. This is not the front office doing it's job. This is the front office doing whatever it can to rectify a really uncomfortable situation that the front office created for itself.

The front office doing it's job would have meant building this team around a young player of Brad Richards' caliber.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:11 AM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
That's not what I said. I said things are finally going amazingly, not the most recent results have been amazing.
How can things be going 'amazingly' if it doesn't show in the results?

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 07:28 AM
alkurtz

I really have a hard time understanding what some of you want.
Like Tawnos, I am not a Sather fan, but feel the need to defend him.
Are we a dysfunctional team on and off the ice? No
Does the front office seem to have a plan in place to suceed? Yes
Is our scouting staff doing a good job identifying young talent? Yes
When young players come up from the AHL, are they ready to play? Yes
Does our coaching staff have a consistent and coherent strategy that players have bought into? Yes

The GM sets the overall tone and direction for this.

All that is missing is on-ice success. Hopefully we are building towards something special. I expect improvement this year: somewhere between 4 and 6 in the conference. 2012-2013 is where I expect a serious Cup run.

Again, I am not a Sather supporter and would be happy if he were canned. But think of where we were just a few short years ago. Sather deserves credit for realizing that he was in a new NHL and changing the direction of the franchise.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
I really have a hard time understanding what some of you want.
On-ice success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz
All that is missing is on-ice success.
Exactly

Win on the ice, and Sather appreciation will be warranted. As someone said, win TWO playoff series this year, and I will appreciate how Sather got us there.

But without that, the appreciation rings hollow. As Bill Parcells always said, 'You are your record'.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote