HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mikhail Pashnin to Play in N.A This Season (UPDATE: Signs extension in Russia)

Old
07-23-2011, 04:06 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
nmnm

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 05:59 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Looks like Pashnin has signed with the Rangers

Quote:
Slava Fetisov (CSKA president) is upset with Mikhail Pashnin's signing w/ #NYRangers. Says Pashnin will wind up in the AHL, should've stayed
https://twitter.com/#!/SlavaMalamud/...26399152173056

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 06:09 AM
xxxZENxxx

Fetisov might have a very good point, but it is clear that Pash wants to eventually play in the NHL and he needs to get over here and learn the game in order to do that.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 08:09 AM
Barnaby

Good for him. This is a gamble in his life - that's for sure. You would have to believe that he isn't as strong or polished as Valentenko. He will most likely spend the entire year in the AHL. However, this is a LONG-term move. Not a short one... I wish him luck.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 11:07 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010...-russian-spies

The kid has been catching the eye of Ranger brass for 2 years in a row now. If you think he's a waste of time, please tell them to stop being so interested.

Pashnin's at least as big as Sean Avery and Cal Clutterbuck. Personally since last year I've been compairing him to Darius Kasparaitis who was the exact same size and frame and had no problem playing in the NHL and going head to head with guys like Mark Messier and Eric Lindros. Just because you're bigger like Tomas Kloucek or Micheal Sauer doesn't mean you're going to be any more rugged.

Pashnin's style is undesired by the KHL as it's better suited for NA, he's too physical for them. Discarding his draft position is silly, had he been drafted last in the KHL I bet it be a bit more meaningful.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 11:15 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post

The kid has been catching the eye of Ranger brass for 2 years in a row now. If you think he's a waste of time, please tell them to stop being so interested.

Pashnin's at least as big as Sean Avery and Cal Clutterbuck. Personally since last year I've been compairing him to Darius Kasparaitis who was the exact same size and frame and had no problem playing in the NHL and going head to head with guys like Mark Messier and Eric Lindros. Just because you're bigger like Tomas Kloucek or Micheal Sauer doesn't mean you're going to be any more rugged.

Pashnin's style is undesired by the KHL as it's better suited for NA, he's too physical for them. Discarding his draft position is silly, had he been drafted last in the KHL I bet it be a bit more meaningful.
No it's not. He's the "best of the rest," so to speak. Hardly anything to be excited about when we already have a very good d-corp.

Comparing him to Kaspar is ridiculous when Kaspar competed in the WJC and the Olympics.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Levitate

I'd be amused if he earns the spot everyone is giving to guys like Valentenko and Erixon, but I doubt he's that ready

edit: the big thing for him will be that he needs to show he can do more than just hit. He's gotta show he can play defense and calm down and know when to hit and when to hold back

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 11:37 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I'd be amused if he earns the spot everyone is giving to guys like Valentenko and Erixon, but I doubt he's that ready

edit: the big thing for him will be that he needs to show he can do more than just hit. He's gotta show he can play defense and calm down and know when to hit and when to hold back
He also needs to work on his conditioning. Playing on the smaller ice surface will make for a lot more stop-and-starts than over in the KHL. Especially with the way he plays.

I think he will definitely compete for a spot this year. I would imagine he will see 1-3 preseason games and I wouldn't be surprised to see him head to Europe with the team for those final preseason games with Erixon and Valentenko.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 12:08 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:

This part made me laugh. Did you come to this conclusion from watching his KHL games, or from beat writing based off the prospect camp?

Remember when you were trying out for your varsity hockey team as a freshman in high school? Or a high level travel team? You play extremely physical to get the coaches attention. You can apply this to every young player who gets his first NHL call up. Why do you think Dale Weise got his ass kicked in so many fights we he got called up, he wanted to show the coach something, even if he knew he was probably going to lose.

I'm sorry if you don't play hockey, it's just the analogy that made the most sense.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 12:18 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
I would roughly compare the KHL draft to the CHL Import Draft. Most of the picks are people who either confirmed they're gonna report or they will defect to N. America. Other picks are crapshoots (like KHL teams drafting Huberdau/Pajaarvi and CHL teams drafting Kovalchuk/Filatov).
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
No it's not. He's the "best of the rest," so to speak. Hardly anything to be excited about when we already have a very good d-corp.
We already had a very good D-corp yet we drafted Dylan McIlrath, WHY? To make it better. You always want to get better because better is better, depth is better, players competing for positions is better. It's a good problem to have.

Saying "Best of the rest" and calling it meaningless is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Saying that someone is the best of a large group of players at a young age, is pretty damn significant.

Need I mention that Dan Girardi was the best of the rest at one point in time. Maybe a guy like Blake Parlett is too, but we shouldn't get excited about them either I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
I would also add that I love people who compares him to Kasparaitis. Maybe many of you don't remember, but Kasparaitis, before getting to N. America, won an Olympic Gold Medal, while I would say that Pashnin and I don't have many different chances to play the Olympics with Team Russia...with all the due respect
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Comparing him to Kaspar is ridiculous when Kaspar competed in the WJC and the Olympics.
I'd have to agree with you that in 2010 there were better options for Russia to choose for their Olympic roster. However in 2008 he did represent his Country in an international tournament against Canada

Quote:
At age 19, he emerged as a dominant defensemen for Russian junior teams that played in both the 2008 ADT Canada-Russia Challenge against major-junior All-Stars and the 2009 World Junior Championship at Ottawa.
http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=531623

And he received a bronze medal when he played in the WJC the following year.

Quote:
2008-2009 U20 WJC Bronze Medal
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=29170

It's amazing how some people will grasp onto the Ethan Wereks and Andrew Yogans out there and build them up like they're going to be our next star.."don't discard them like they're a throw-in" I've seen fans say on this board, yet put down guys like these who are a 7th round pick who are busting their tales and "turning heads"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
This part made me laugh.
Repeating what I've read, don't remember where or I'd link it.

Last edited by vipernsx: 08-02-2011 at 12:29 PM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 12:22 PM
ColonialsHockey10

List of defenseman from the 2009 draft that are NHLers currently:

Hedman
OEL (borderline at this point)
Kulikov
Nick Leddy(borderline)

+ Defenseman who will get at least a few games this season likely:

Cowen
Ellis
Rundblad
Erixon
Moore
Olsen
Elliott
Barrie
McNabb
Urbom

Pashnin has not experienced major growth in his development, nor has he done anything to greatly improve his draft stock, all while being older then these players. Yet he's expected to crack an extremely deep and competitive Rangers blueline?

I really wish him the best, and I want him to be good, but it's odd that Pashnin basically has a cult following from a few prospects camps where he was 2-3 years older then everyone else.

Old
08-02-2011, 12:32 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:

Repeating what I've read, don't remember where or I'd link it.
Fair enough. If it's from a Rangers beat writer I would take it with a grain of salt.

Old
08-02-2011, 01:24 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Fair enough. If it's from a Rangers beat writer I would take it with a grain of salt.
it was Gordie who said it FYI....it was in the pre-draft interview if im not mistaken.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

Good. Unlike some players, he shows up for camp and that says a lot about a player.

Brendan Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 01:46 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
it was Gordie who said it FYI....it was in the pre-draft interview if im not mistaken.
Hard to argue with that. However I'll wait to see it myself before I proclaim Pashnin a Kaspiritus clone.

Old
08-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

People get too carried away with positive one-liners from beat writers and people in the organization. Pashnin "turned a lot of heads" with his relentless physical play, but he also demonstrated very poor positioning, decision making, and was often caught on the ice for very long shifts due to those reasons.

He's an excellent physical presence, but unless he seriously improves the rest of his game -- you know, the part where he defends the puck -- he's not likely to be much more than a #6 d-man. If pointing out that he has serious holes in his game rubs people the wrong way, then it's time for those people to stop being hypocritical.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
People get too carried away with positive one-liners from beat writers and people in the organization. Pashnin "turned a lot of heads" with his relentless physical play, but he also demonstrated very poor positioning, decision making, and was often caught on the ice for very long shifts due to those reasons.

He's an excellent physical presence, but unless he seriously improves the rest of his game -- you know, the part where he defends the puck -- he's not likely to be much more than a #6 d-man. If pointing out that he has serious holes in his game rubs people the wrong way, then it's time for those people to stop being hypocritical.
If he were a excellent physical precense I would be very high on him -- but that is a big questionmark for me. I've seen him like a handful of games, and in those he has been as physical as say Girardi.

It's definitely possible that the NA ice will bring more out of him. He has good lateral movement and I've seen him line people up, he is good at catching his guy.

But besides his physical game he is pretty good with the puck etc. He is a headsup player and his positioning is fine. I don't think you can get a good read on a kids positioning in a prospect game, it's havoc up n down type of hockey. Nobody knows each other etc.

But Kaspar II talk, I wanna see him hit people on a regular basis before I believe it.

The kid is a decent prospect. Reminds me some of Hjalmarsson in Chicago. Good hitter. Decent player. But the competition is very tough and Pashin has a lot to prove.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 06:59 PM
NorthlandPro

He's a prospect. The worst that could happen is he doesn't work out. If he sucked so bad why is Fetisov so pissed? Let's give him a chance and see what he can do. You have to have prospect to develop them. How the hell do you think you end up with players?

NorthlandPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 07:03 PM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthlandPro View Post
He's a prospect. The worst that could happen is he doesn't work out. If he sucked so bad why is Fetisov so pissed? Let's give him a chance and see what he can do. You have to have prospect to develop them. How the hell do you think you end up with players?
Because he can't ship him back and forth between teams as he deems fit. Also because he's losing a 23-24 minute a night defenseman than was really really cheap.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 07:49 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
Because he can't ship him back and forth between teams as he deems fit. Also because he's losing a 23-24 minute a night defenseman than was really really cheap.
Pashnin was not playing that much for him. Was mostly on the third pairing.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 07:51 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
The kid is a decent prospect. Reminds me some of Hjalmarsson in Chicago. Good hitter. Decent player. But the competition is very tough and Pashin has a lot to prove.
It would be pretty ****ing awesome if he turned out like that.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 08:05 PM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
Pashnin was not playing that much for him. Was mostly on the third pairing.
I should have been more clear, when they sent him to play for the lower league team he was playing that much in the playoffs. I bet it's tough to find a KHL player that's willing to go play essentially juniors after the season.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 11:10 PM
rmcg11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
-- he's not likely to be much more than a #6 d-man. If pointing out that he has serious holes in his game rubs people the wrong way, then it's time for those people to stop being hypocritical.

all prospects have serious holes in their games. if they didn't they wouldn't be prospects long enough for all of us to over analyze them lol. also if he winds up as a number 6 dman isn't that a win for a 7th round draft pick?

rmcg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 06:28 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
We already had a very good D-corp yet we drafted Dylan McIlrath, WHY? To make it better. You always want to get better because better is better, depth is better, players competing for positions is better. It's a good problem to have.

Saying "Best of the rest" and calling it meaningless is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Saying that someone is the best of a large group of players at a young age, is pretty damn significant.

Need I mention that Dan Girardi was the best of the rest at one point in time. Maybe a guy like Blake Parlett is too, but we shouldn't get excited about them either I suppose.
Hey - I love the fact that you are super-optimistic. I am much more even keeled. I think that the guy goes to Hartford - plays the game - and then we see where he is. I don't get the super enthusiasm with this guy. I'd be shocked if you saw him play (I haven't). I hope he is Kaspar 2, but keep in mind, Kaspar was a 5th overall pick. Until I see this kid myself, then i can't put him in this class. A Rangers scout giving a few good one liners just doesn't quite do it..

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 08:04 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcg11 View Post
all prospects have serious holes in their games. if they didn't they wouldn't be prospects long enough for all of us to over analyze them lol. also if he winds up as a number 6 dman isn't that a win for a 7th round draft pick?
All prospects have holes in their game, sure, but that doesn't mean said holes remain equal as you jump from player to player. Pashnin is a defensive minded d-man who often struggles playing positional defense. Big hits are great, but not when you abandon your assignment, or leave your D partner alone to defend a 2 on 1 because you stepped up to make a big hit in the neutral zone.

If he ends up as a #6, that's wonderful, but he has a long way to go before he gets there in my opinion.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote