HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Summer Read: The Art of Scouting

Old
07-31-2011, 01:14 PM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

vCash: 500
Summer Read: The Art of Scouting

Just came back from vacation and I had the chance to read the art of scouting by Shane Malloy.

It's great read to learn about amateur/pro scouts and how they evaluate prospects and older players.

You also get to have the opinion of key scouts (including Trevor Timmins) regarding specific leagues, tournaments etc...

They also go in detail, position by position what scouts are looking in prospects and how does skills will
translate in the NHL.

What I really loved about this book is that it has a scouting scorecard for each position which always you to rate prospects as well.

Example: Goaltenders:
-Is the prospect an above-average skater?
-Does he have an athletic stance?
- Does he understand how to position himself to cut down a shooter's angles?
- Is he able to recover quickly after a save and control rebounds?
- Does he have an agressive nature and a competitive spirit?
Does he have a relaxed glove hand?
etc...

anybody else has read this book?

Last edited by didouche: 07-31-2011 at 01:26 PM.
didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 01:48 PM
VanNistelrooy

shane malloy don't have a very good reputation around this board

VanNistelrooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 04:18 PM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanNistelrooy View Post
shane malloy don't have a very good reputation around this board
Hmmm... I wasn't aware!

Old
07-31-2011, 04:46 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by didouche View Post
Hmmm... I wasn't aware!
He owes MANY of us money from a failed HF Newspaper/magazine project back in 2002/2003.

I'll leave it at that.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 04:48 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
He owes MANY of us money from a failed HF Newspaper/magazine project back in 2002/2003.

I'll leave it at that.
How much more could really be said on the issue?

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 07:52 PM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

ok then! close this thread then :O(

Old
07-31-2011, 08:52 PM
Max et Guillaume

Never read it, but I would recommend "Future Greats and Heartbreaks" by Gare Joyce, a sports journalist who followed Columbus' scouting team a few years ago.

Talks about the "war room" during the combine, the combine interviews and draft day. Loved it!

Max et Guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 12:01 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Not going to lie, I have a completely different opinion. I thought it was really amateur and not very in-depth at all. Most of the stuff he talks about should already be evident to any serious hockey fan. Do I need a book to tell me that scouts look for guys who are good skaters, or who make the right decisions on a 2-on-1? Not really. There are a couple of good parts when it does get in-depth, but they're too few and far between.

Gare Joyce's Future Greats and Heartbreaks (which I went back and re-read right after I finished The Art of Scouting) is a million times more interesting, both in terms of how the content is presented and in providing a true window into scouts' "secret" life. Maybe Future Greats spoiled me, because it set the bar really high. Malloy's book just didn't even come close IMO, it was more like an intro to scouting for people who are new hockey fans.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 01:07 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Not going to lie, I have a completely different opinion. I thought it was really amateur and not very in-depth at all. Most of the stuff he talks about should already be evident to any serious hockey fan. Do I need a book to tell me that scouts look for guys who are good skaters, or who make the right decisions on a 2-on-1? Not really. There are a couple of good parts when it does get in-depth, but they're too few and far between.

Gare Joyce's Future Greats and Heartbreaks (which I went back and re-read right after I finished The Art of Scouting) is a million times more interesting, both in terms of how the content is presented and in providing a true window into scouts' "secret" life. Maybe Future Greats spoiled me, because it set the bar really high. Malloy's book just didn't even come close IMO, it was more like an intro to scouting for people who are new hockey fans.
Was going to post the same thing. If anyone's interested, go with Future Greats, not this Malloy clown's material.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 02:00 AM
JimmyDarmody

Funny how the Blue Jackets nailed their assessment of Fischer. If I recall they mentioned that more than one team had Fischer rated as a "no draft" meaning they wouldn't even spend a 7th rounder on him.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 08:49 AM
impudent_lowlife

Quote:

The guy(s) who drafted Kyle Chipchura, Jason Ward and Matt Higgins needs to read something...

impudent_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 08:59 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife View Post
The guy(s) who drafted Kyle Chipchura, Jason Ward and Matt Higgins needs to read something...
Every scout in the history of the game has a Jason Ward or a Matt Higgins on their resume, so I'm not really sure what you're trying to say.

Old
08-01-2011, 10:20 AM
impudent_lowlife

Quote:
Every scout in the history of the game has a Jason Ward or a Matt Higgins on their resume, so I'm not really sure what you're trying to say.
It seems that the Habs were obsessed with drafting size over skill but since timmins has been on board there has been more of an emphasis on skating ability etc.

If the league average is that 65% of 1st rounders play 200 plus games in their career, I wonder if the Habs are above or below that average.

From my calculations it looks like the Habs are below the league average - sitting at59%.

impudent_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
While I didn't read The Art of Scouting, Gare Joyce's book (as stated by others before me) is a must read for any hockey fan.

Dutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 10:24 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
No question the Habs have had their ups and downs in terms of first round drafting. We may not be perfect yet, but we're lightyears away from the Ward/M. Higgins days, so that can only be a positive thing

Old
08-01-2011, 12:32 PM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

Quote:

I think those 2 books are very different. Gare Joyce's book goes in-depth with the drafting process vs the art of scouting is more of a summary of what scouts look for in players.

Sure there are criterias that are obvious but there are some of them that were news to me. And to have them in one book that what's really excellent about the book.

I never thought about verifying if a goalie had a relaxed hand... I may have looked at it and notice it but I wouldn't have named it and have it as one of my evaluation criterias.

Old
08-01-2011, 12:37 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by didouche View Post
I think those 2 books are very different. Gare Joyce's book goes in-depth with the drafting process vs the art of scouting is more of a summary of what scouts look for in players.

Sure there are criterias that are obvious but there are some of them that were news to me. And to have them in one book that what's really excellent about the book.

I never thought about verifying if a goalie had a relaxed hand... I may have looked at it and notice it but I wouldn't have named it and have it as one of my evaluation criterias.
Like I said, there is some interesting stuff. One I liked a lot was when a scout talked about looking at how a player positions his hands on his stick, how relaxed his shoulders are, whether his hands are close together or far apart, etc. Another was talking about how he looked at which direction a player pointed the toes of his skates when coming out of the corner. Stuff like that was interesting, and isn't what you'd normally think about when you think of scouting a player. But there were just too many words wasted on really obvious things I felt.

Old
08-02-2011, 12:08 AM
LarsEller

I read art of scouting a couple of weeks ago.. I have only been following the NHL for a couple of years, so to me it was a good read.. I would recommend it to guys that dont know an awful lot about the scouting process in general..

LarsEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 07:57 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Ward Chip Bilideau Brown etc couldnt skate.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 08:13 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsEller View Post
I read art of scouting a couple of weeks ago.. I have only been following the NHL for a couple of years, so to me it was a good read.. I would recommend it to guys that dont know an awful lot about the scouting process in general..
Friend of Eller irl? Haha just kidding. But it's nice to see some of the Dane's hometown folks around here these days. I have a feeling we'll see more Danish and Swiss players in habs uniforms in the coming years.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 08:43 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max et Guillaume View Post
Never read it, but I would recommend "Future Greats and Heartbreaks" by Gare Joyce, a sports journalist who followed Columbus' scouting team a few years ago.

Talks about the "war room" during the combine, the combine interviews and draft day. Loved it!
Best 10 bucks I spent on a book since Tintin when I was a wee lad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I have a feeling we'll see more Danish and Swiss players in habs uniforms in the coming years.
I wouldn't mind some glazed Danish and Swiss rolls right now...

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 07:58 AM
LarsEller

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Friend of Eller irl? Haha just kidding. But it's nice to see some of the Dane's hometown folks around here these days. I have a feeling we'll see more Danish and Swiss players in habs uniforms in the coming years.
Im friends with a guy who played on his team in Rødovre (DK) Back then he played with Mikkel Bødker and Jannik hansen in a youth program.. Wouldnt mind that as our 3rd line

LarsEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 08:02 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Im friends with a guy who played on his team in Rødovre (DK) Back then he played with Mikkel Bødker and Jannik hansen in a youth program.. Wouldnt mind that as our 3rd line
Awesome. You need to become our HF Danish draft guy

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:57 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
I always trade for Hansen in the NHL games. The guy is amazing on there. And I found out that he plays really well with Eller!

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote