HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

how did you fall in love with the habs

Old
08-03-2011, 09:30 AM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

vCash: 500
i have been a habs fan since i can remember and have never liked another team my dad cheered for the habs and my two older brothers so id say that is why i became one but since i can remember i have loved the habs and as many of you i am a die hard habs fan!!

When the season is on this is my life story:
Habs Win = Good Day
Habs Lose= Bad Day

Pumped for this season more then ever!! i think this team is very very solid and i haven't been this excited for a season for a long long time im also going to my first 2 Habs games at the bell center

99GoHabsGo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 09:32 AM
matCH penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfanatical View Post
I also just got married last Saturday and we had a Habs themed wedding.. Bleu-Blanc and Rouge everywhere you looked from my tux to my wife's dress, from the party favours to the decorations.. During our speeches some Laffs fans tried to get some digs in, that is until I stood up and led the 75% Habs fans in attendance at the reception in a boisterous version of "Ole, Ole, Ole" !!!!
Kick ass.

matCH penalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 10:40 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Casque de Mats View Post
Born in the province of Québec, and my dad and grandfather were habs fans obviously. I was 5 when they won the cup in 86, so I don't remember. I know I started following hockey and the habs when my dad bought me this..

87 Panini sticker album.. Then I could know the players and their faces. I was a huge fan when I was a kid, but when I was around 15-16, I totally quit. The team sucked and I had many other interests, music, friends and all. I probably just started watching hockey again like 10 years later. In the early 2000s, except maybe Theodore and Ribeiro, I had no idea who were on the team.
I still have that stickerbook! Looked at it just the other day while cleaning out my basement. It was the first one I completed, I had to trade a Patrick Roy sticker for a Harold Snepts that my friend ripped out of his book, great memories. Nice avatar by the way, Naslund was one of my favorites.

I am also an Ontario Habs fan, I am breeding new ones and influencing those around me, there are quite a few of us in Niagara, we are rotting Leafs Nation from the inside

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 10:48 AM
1UP

I feel in love with the Habs after the Nords left.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:03 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

I was 6 years old, my dad was a Leaf fan and still is. The leafs were playing The Habs and I saw Guy Lafleur speed down the ice once, and Robinson nailed someone into the glass and that was it, I was a Hab fan

My dad has been pissed at me ever since.....

P.S. The Habs won easily that night.....

Last edited by IceDaddy: 08-03-2011 at 11:10 AM.
IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 12:54 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfanatical View Post
Pre-'93 I was just a fan of hockey and cheered mostly for individual players, Denis Savard being my All-Time favorite player. When Savard got traded to the Habs I slide from liking the Hawks to LOVING the Habs. I guess you could say I'm an older bandwagon jumper but Montreal gave Savard his only taste from Lord Stanley and since then I have 18+ years of loyalty lol.

I have the Habs symbol tattooed on my right calf so no matter where I go Im always carrying/representing my team.

I also just got married last Saturday and we had a Habs themed wedding.. Bleu-Blanc and Rouge everywhere you looked from my tux to my wife's dress, from the party favours to the decorations.. During our speeches some Laffs fans tried to get some digs in, that is until I stood up and led the 75% Habs fans in attendance at the reception in a boisterous version of "Ole, Ole, Ole" !!!!
Haha that's MAD! I'm guessing either your wife is a huge fan herself or she loves you so much that she let you have the theme (or both!). Congrats!

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:41 PM
BayouHab

I'm originally from Connecticut, and grew up a Whalers fan. They left in 1996, when I was 11 years old, and I was heartbroken. I would watch hockey on TV now and again, but it wasn't until 2006 I truly got back into the game. I went up to Montreal with friends, and we went to a game. Fell in love with the city, the people, and of course the team. Since then, I have rarely missed a game and travel once a year to Montreal to see the boys in person at the Bell.

BayouHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:54 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouHab View Post
I'm originally from Connecticut, and grew up a Whalers fan. They left in 1996, when I was 11 years old, and I was heartbroken. I would watch hockey on TV now and again, but it wasn't until 2006 I truly got back into the game. I went up to Montreal with friends, and we went to a game. Fell in love with the city, the people, and of course the team. Since then, I have rarely missed a game and travel once a year to Montreal to see the boys in person at the Bell.
Awesome. I love this team because of all the fans around the world. It feels like a global fan base! I know other teams have that too but we really do get a lot of great folks around these boards from places like the US, Denmark, Switzerland, Sweden, all sorts of cool places aside from the typical Canadian market. (My cousin went to Stolkholm this summer and really enjoyed himself. One day maybe I'll get to go experience international hockey first hand!)

It feels good to be the fan of such a great team.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Same as most Montrealers, I was born and raised a Habs fan. I was born in '89 so I sadly don't remember the '93 cup, my earliest hockey memory is watching the Rangers win the cup the next year against the Canucks. Vincent Damphousse was, and will probably always be my favourite Habs player.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:01 PM
BayouHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Awesome. I love this team because of all the fans around the world. It feels like a global fan base! I know other teams have that too but we really do get a lot of great folks around these boards from places like the US, Denmark, Switzerland, Sweden, all sorts of cool places aside from the typical Canadian market. (My cousin went to Stolkholm this summer and really enjoyed himself. One day maybe I'll get to go experience international hockey first hand!)

It feels good to be the fan of such a great team.
I went to law school at LSU in Baton Rouge, Louisiana (hence the picture and name), and during our playoff run in 2010, would routinely see Habs hats/shirts. Very cool.

Old
08-03-2011, 02:02 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouHab View Post
I went to law school at LSU in Baton Rouge, Louisiana (hence the picture and name), and during our playoff run in 2010, would routinely see Habs hats/shirts. Very cool.
Awesome

I used to randomly see people wearing Expos hats now and then outside of Canada but I think it's largely due to the logo being super cool.

Legit

Old
08-03-2011, 02:07 PM
BayouHab

Awesome logo. I always told myself I'd love to practice law in Quebec, since I was educated in Louisiana with the same Civilian Law system as Quebec has (only state in the US that does it). However, I don't speak French. Minor detail.

Old
08-03-2011, 03:01 PM
jsol

I was a hab fan since birth, if that's possible. My father named me Jean after Beliveau (1970). Trust me, growing up with a french name in northern saskatchewan made me embrace Beliveau and the Habs from the start. I stopped watching the Habs between 1990 - 2000 (except for the cup run in 93) mostly due to lack of TV focus, but haven't missed a game since. It helped that I moved to Montreal in 2000, and the team has been interesting to say the least.

jsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:04 PM
HabsByTheBay

My dad's a Habs fan. His story is more interesting anyway - he's from New England and he became a Habs fan because they won a lot (duh, it was mid-to-late 60s) and because he dated a girl whose mother was from Nova Scotia and was a Habs fan, and they all sat around the TV on Saturday nights and watched the games. So a little bit of bandwagoning there, admittedly, but I think he's earned it over the last 20 years or so.

I've always wondered for the Quebec City guys here why the Habs hate ran so deep up there. The Nords were only around (and a real team) for about 20 years, so what did all those foaming at the mouth Hab haters do before 1972? Weren't they rooting for the Habs?

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:28 PM
NewBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
When your father, grandfather, and great grandfather, were all Habs fans you pretty much don't have a choice to become a fan of the team.
This. And I could add my uncles, cousins, my mother. Only my sister doesn't like them.

I was also a huge Expos fan like a lot of people here. I'm still morning the team's departure. I've tried to like other teams but I haven't been able to. I proudly rocked an Expos shirt last week at Fenway Park!

Last edited by NewBlood: 08-03-2011 at 03:48 PM.
NewBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:33 PM
BLONG7

My dad is a habs fan...and directed me in the right direction...my first memory is Ken Dryden stealing the Cup for the Habs in 71....

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 05:29 PM
coolasprICE

Interesting how so many have became fans and influenced because of their dads....

I think I have the only dad who grew up in Montreal that never followed hockey!

My mom is also not a Habs fan but she immigrated here at 20.

I guess that makes me 1st generation!

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 05:51 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 283
my dad started liking the habs because of me liking the habs

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Hank Scorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Born in Ontario. Dad told me that's the team we cheer for.
My story is similar and, living in Ottawa, when asked why I support the Habs I'm quick to reply 'because my dad raised me right'.

But really, it's because my brother, sister, and I were all born during Habs games... the running joke in my family is that I'm my dad's favorite because I was the only one born with enough time for him to catch the third period.

Coincidentally, growing up the least, my sister and father got a long the least of the three of us. She was a May baby and my dad missed a playoff game for her. I guess that's why she's a Sens fan now (lousy turncoat).

Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 06:27 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Born in Ontario. Dad told me that's the team we cheer for.
PK? Is that you?

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 06:35 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Interesting how so many have became fans and influenced because of their dads....

I think I have the only dad who grew up in Montreal that never followed hockey!

My mom is also not a Habs fan but she immigrated here at 20.

I guess that makes me 1st generation!
So, when you have children, you know what to do...right?

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

It was a combination of a few things, but the biggest factor was a good friend of mine in grade 1 had the sickest Patrick Roy shirt I had ever seen. I've been a fan ever since...I guess that's going on close to 22 years now.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 07:19 PM
ruski17

2 words: Hometown Team!

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 07:28 PM
XperHFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf54 View Post
Ooo! Can I join?!

I check in on this board everyonce and awhile and just saw this and want to respond, if thats okay!

I am actually a Bruins season ticket holder, and love them, not going to lie, but I have only been a fan for about two seasons now.

When I first fell in love with hockey, which was not too long ago, I started reading about history, and time lines, etc and obviously, most of the interesting stuff to read comes from Montreal's history.

I always get excited to play the habs because I learned a ton about the current roster and the history.

I got tix to a game in Montreal and FELL IN LOVE with the The Bell Center. I loved the city, I loved the arena.

I always followed as many of the habs games as I could and all my friends mock me for liking the Habs, but also being a Bs fan.

I know its complex but I think i just love hockey in general.

Also, after Max Pacioretty got injured, I spent a lot of time on this board and made some pretty cool friends over here.

Perhaps Im own of a kind liking both teams, but it works for me.

Ive learned alot because of your board and team, so I like to support the habs when I can.

Also, I have more favorite players on the Habs than the Bs.

Anyway, thanks to everyone over here that accepted my love for two teams, and cant wait for next season!

Cheers all!
Liking the Habs and the Bruins at the same time is like having both a Penis and a Vagina.

XperHFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 07:40 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsol View Post
I was a hab fan since birth, if that's possible. My father named me Jean after Beliveau (1970). Trust me, growing up with a french name in northern saskatchewan made me embrace Beliveau and the Habs from the start. I stopped watching the Habs between 1990 - 2000 (except for the cup run in 93) mostly due to lack of TV focus, but haven't missed a game since. It helped that I moved to Montreal in 2000, and the team has been interesting to say the least.
A buddy of mine is born and raised in Utah but his father is French from France. His name is Lucien. Imagine being named Lucien in Utah, now that's legit