HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[NJD] Trent Hunter and Colin White for buyout [Both Cleared and Bought Out]

Old
08-02-2011, 05:57 PM
LondonDevil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias to Parise View Post
are you serious. we got rid of a ****** contract in white, a guy who's over the hill and half blind.
Yet who was our best D last season.

LondonDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 06:19 PM
The Grinder
No Respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonDevil View Post
Yet who was our best D last season.
Still has nothing to do with this upcoming season. Last season was an outlier, very few played their caliber game and because Colin White impressed in a sea of **** we are upset he is gone. He will be replaced with someone who can move the puck better from the back end, because honestly almost any dman can, whether it be Larsson and Fayne eating those minutes, or some unseen player arriving via trade or Lou's magic hat.

Get better moving the puck up the ice from the backend.

We just did that. It's simple really.

The Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 06:53 PM
IslesNYer

You have to give Lou credit on the Hunter buyout. My sense is he didn't want Rolston. Rolston's contract was 1 year remaing at $5ml. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Rolston was an over 35yr contract which means the full cap hit would occur even in a buyout, so Lou trades the player/contract for a lesser contract that he can then buyout at a lesser dollar amount and save his team both money and cap space. If he was so set on not having Rolston on his team, the Hunter trade/buyout really made sense.

IslesNYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
Yup... Been saying this for a while now. Lou has had a series of questionable moves since the lockout. He has proven to be a bad GM under the new CBA and hasn't been able to control his payroll well or make good roster decisions. He's still living on his past reputation. I argued this in a thread a few weeks ago when a Devils' fan said that Lou has a great history and won't question his decisions. I think he's proven enough now that every one of his decisions should be questioned.

He still continues to get a free pass from too many. Even after the Rolston trade the justification was that it wasn't a bad signing because they got something for him in a trade. All they got was a smaller buyout.

Lou's a HOF GM who needs to retire. Everyone eventually reaches their expiration date no matter how great they once were. Lou seems to be past his. A great GM in the past era. Too many questionable and below-average moves in today's era.
Think what you want about Lou, this team just missed the playoffs for the first time in 14 years. I've disagreed with a handful of his moves since the lockout, but most of them were forced by circumstance, like losing two hall of fame defensemen in two years.

Guy does a great job drafting young talent, and has moved aggressively to fix personnel problems (like the move this thread is about). I like White, and he deserved better, but Lou has acknowledged that the defense needs to be more dynamic and plugged into the offense. For God's sake, if anyone watched our powerplay this year, we typically had two forwards on the point. That a symptom of disastrous inability from the blueline.

As good as White was last year, he is probably the least likely to contribute to the transition game and get on the scoresheet. Guys like Taormina and Larsson will not step on the ice and defend as well as White did. But they will learn, and they are already more offensively able.

I like that Lou is not just playing it safe and avoiding mistakes. No guts, no glory.

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 08:32 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

I am not the biggest Colin White fan, although, I loved him when he first came up. However, after his injury, he turned into a toatlly different player. Yes, he plays good defense, but was not the same physical force he once was. Plus, add in that he contributes nothing on the score sheet or the transition game teams need to play these days, I'm not sad to see him go.

However, I do want to thank him for helping the Devils win two cups and spending ten seasons with the organization. Good luck and thanks for some fond memories!

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 09:46 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
I would have rather seen Hunter stuffed in the minors and White playing in NJ, though the decision to buyout Hunter can also be understood.

However, buying out White, an 11 year NJ Devil Veteran drafted by the team, played his whole career with the team, and only had one year left, just doesn't make any sense. It's just a poor move by the organization to treat a player like that. It's almost personal, like Zach Parise didn't like him or something and it was a condition of his resigning, I don't know. Hopefully, for NJ's sake, it's leading to a bigger move like the Scott Hannan like I suggested earlier.

Still to disrespect a long term vet, other players take note, when making the decision to stick around with a franchise, this is how much NJ cares about their 11 year vets who were 3rd in TOT EV Minutes last year on defense. Not cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
How exactly are you stomping on my "Lou theory" by suggesting he's the GM of a team with a poor drafting record for 7 years? Isn't it the GM's responsibility to rectify that problem? And if it's gone on for that many years, how is it not his fault?

I dare you to find a GM who's team has had a bad drafting record for 10 years who wasn't considered a bad GM?

If the Devils' drafting was so bad, then Lou needs to shoulder the blame. As you said you don't cover up bad drafting by filling your roster with FA moves - a recipe for disaster and directly results in poor cap management, which is exactly what we're seeing.

If you want to "stomp on my Lou theory" best not to use reasons which make the GM look even worse.
What you say is exactly true and if you want proof of it all you have to do is look at the NY Rangers. They drafted horrible early on in Glen Sather's tenure and as a result he reacted with some of the worst free agent signings ever. Gone now are Tom Renney and Don Maloney advising on those drafting decisions and in are Gordie Clark, Jeff Gorton, Jim Schoeneld. Drafting has improved outrageously since 2005 and as the prospect pool and the Rangers' ability to develop internally has improved Glen Sather's horrid free agent spending the past two seasons has not happened.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 10:18 AM
HBK27

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
However, buying out White, an 11 year NJ Devil Veteran drafted by the team, played his whole career with the team, and only had one year left, just doesn't make any sense. It's just a poor move by the organization to treat a player like that. It's almost personal, like Zach Parise didn't like him or something and it was a condition of his resigning, I don't know. Hopefully, for NJ's sake, it's leading to a bigger move like the Scott Hannan like I suggested earlier.

Still to disrespect a long term vet, other players take note, when making the decision to stick around with a franchise, this is how much NJ cares about their 11 year vets who were 3rd in TOT EV Minutes last year on defense. Not cool.
I can understand people questioning the move to buy out White since he’s still an NHL caliber player & his contract isn’t horrible. It still remains to be seen what (if anything) Lou will do with the additional cap space after the buyouts or if he just wanted to clear space for some of the younger d-men and/or Salvador or if he’s been told to reduce payroll.

What I don’t understand is the criticism of Lou supposedly disrespecting a long term vet & subsequent impact. For whatever reason (still largely unknown), Lou decided White didn’t have a role with the team this upcoming season. He spoke with White about it at the end of last season and tried to accommodate a trade (which White would’ve had to approve because he had a NTC). No takers. Even after being placed on waivers, all 29 other teams passed on him despite only one-year remaining on his contract.

What was Lou supposed to do – keep White on the team just to be a nice guy & not “disrespect” a veteran…even though it’s already been communicated to White that the Devils are not interested in having him on the team next year? Or should Lou looked to have packed some assets like a draft pick or prospect to move him – hurting the team in the process? If he assigned White to the minors, THAT would’ve been disrespectful.

Lou has a great reputation of taking care of his players. He could’ve buried Pandolfo in the minors last season, but chose to buy him out even though the Devils were up against the cap so he could have a (failed) shot of playing with another NHL club. Fact is, Lou handled this situation as best he could and that’s a load of BS that he was disrespectful in the process to White.

HBK27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 10:52 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK27 View Post
Even after being placed on waivers, all 29 other teams passed on him despite only one-year remaining on his contract.
Waiving him when teams know he's going to be bought out is a lot different then waiving him mid season. You don't claim a guy on a 3m contract about to be bought out when you think you can sign him to a 1.5m deal. Furthermore buying him out this late in the free agency period, when most teams have settled on their rosters, isn't doing the guy any favors. By now, if he gets a contract, he'll be lucky to get a PTO or even a camp invite, basically he's been pretty well screwed. And that's not the way you treat 11 year veterans of an organization.

If I'm a player, I don't want to resign long term with a club like that. One that will backstab me as soon as it suites them. No way.

The Rangers told Chris Drury that they were going to buy him out before the buyout period even began out of respect for Chris, so that he could prepare for it. Chris wasn't even a long time Ranger, though the did it because of the respect that Chris has as a player in this league. That's the difference between a right and a wrong way to go about doing this kind of thing.

Trent Hunter you don't owe a damn thing to, Colin White is a different story. This shouldn't have been a surprise. Maybe in private it wasn't, but it doesn't seem to give that impression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK27 View Post
Lou has a great reputation of taking care of his players. He could’ve buried Pandolfo in the minors last season, but chose to buy him out even though the Devils were up against the cap so he could have a (failed) shot of playing with another NHL club. Fact is, Lou handled this situation as best he could and that’s a load of BS that he was disrespectful in the process to White.
Buying him out also saved the organization real money just like buying out Hunter and White saved them money rather than just waiving Hunter to the minors which would have nearly the same cap impact but saved nothing. Admit it or not, NJ doesn't have the same cash flow as Toronto or NY.

Last edited by vipernsx: 08-03-2011 at 11:09 AM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:57 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Sharks have interest in White

Sent: Aug 3, 2011 12:50p

#sharks #hockey Sharks’ latest off-season target: D Colin White now that Devils chose to buy him out: Not sure h... http://*******/puOBw0

sent via twitterfeed
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/MercSharks/status/98797959491239936

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 12:11 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

#sharks #hockey Sharks’ latest off-season target: D Colin White now that Devils chose to buy him out: Not sure h... http://*******/puOBw0

sent via twitterfeed
Which is strange because we already have 7 NHL d-men, and several ready for call-ups. This may signal the Sharks are looking at trading Vlasic/Murray (most likely candidates, Vlasic more likely imo) for some perceived need (3rd line winger).

Startup the Vlasic for Comeau speculation again

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 12:17 PM
stingo

I wish the Hawks hadn't of signed O'Donnell and had the opportunity to sign White.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 12:30 PM
elriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

sent via twitterfeed
i would buy a GREAT WHITE SHARK jersey

elriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 12:38 PM
HBK27

Quote:
Waiving him when teams know he's going to be bought out is a lot different then waiving him mid season. You don't claim a guy on a 3m contract about to be bought out when you think you can sign him to a 1.5m deal. Furthermore buying him out this late in the free agency period, when most teams have settled on their rosters, isn't doing the guy any favors. By now, if he gets a contract, he'll be lucky to get a PTO or even a camp invite, basically he's been pretty well screwed. And that's not the way you treat 11 year veterans of an organization.

If I'm a player, I don't want to resign long term with a club like that. One that will backstab me as soon as it suites them. No way.

The Rangers told Chris Drury that they were going to buy him out before the buyout period even began out of respect for Chris, so that he could prepare for it. Chris wasn't even a long time Ranger, though the did it because of the respect that Chris has as a player in this league. That's the difference between a right and a wrong way to go about doing this kind of thing.

Trent Hunter you don't owe a damn thing to, Colin White is a different story. This shouldn't have been a surprise. Maybe in private it wasn't, but it doesn't seem to give that impression.
Tell me what Lou SHOULD’VE done then. The decision to trade/waive White wasn’t made until after the season, so you can’t say he should’ve dealt/waived him at least year’s trade deadline (when the Devils were still fighting for a playoff spot, didn’t know they were going to draft Larsson & Salvador wasn’t an option). Is he supposed to hold on to White into the season to give him a better chance of getting claimed?

You could say he should’ve waived White in the buyout period prior to the start of free agency, but at that time Greene still wasn’t resigned (he signed July 1st), so maybe there’s a chance Lou keeps him if Greene signs elsewhere. There was also a chance that some teams would be interested in trading for White if they were unable to land defensemen they targeted in free agency.

Don’t be so overdramatic about White being backstabbed either. Lou tried to trade him, found no takers so now White will collect $2MM of his $3MM contract and get to choose which team he wants to play for. Chances are he signs for more than $1MM with another team, so he’ll likely make out in the deal vs. if he were to get traded or picked up on waivers.

You’re also nuts if you think this situation will impact another player’s decision whether or not to re-sign with the Devils in the future. We heard the same crap when Lou was the first GM to demote a player to the minors (Mogilny) for cap reasons – and yet the Devils haven’t had trouble signing free agents since and a lot of other GM’s have followed Lou’s lead. Find me one player outside of Mike Danton that had something negative to say about Lou or the Devils after leaving. This is a business, but even through that Lou has been perhaps the most loyal GM out there.

Don’t even try to compare this to the Drury situation either, where there wasn’t a snowballs chance in hell that anyone would’ve traded or picked him up off waivers and it was clear his time with the Rangers was done. Not even close to comparable situations.

Old
08-03-2011, 12:46 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 50
TGfireandice Tom Gulitti
Ex-Dev Colin White's agent, Ben Hankinson, said White has agreed to terms with new team. Signing and announcement coming today or tomorrow.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

White's agent has announced that he has signed with a team already.

Someone beat me to it. My guess is NYR.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
White's agent has announced that he has signed with a team already.

Someone beat me to it. My guess is NYR.
New York, take your pick of team.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 12:54 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

My guess is Calgary

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:02 PM
startainfection

watch hunter get invited to the isles training camp

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:38 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJ] Sharks sign Colin White (1 year, $1M)

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 09:11 AM
HBK27

Quote:
By now, if he gets a contract, he'll be lucky to get a PTO or even a camp invite, basically he's been pretty well screwed. And that's not the way you treat 11 year veterans of an organization.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/f...n_jose_sharks/

Quote:
White met with Lou Lamoriello after the 2010-11 season and was aware that the Devils general manager was trying to move him via trade. He also was prepared on Monday when the team placed him on waivers as the necessary precursor to buying him out.

“We did talk, so it didn’t come as that big of a surprise,” he said. “I know he tried to trade me earlier in the summer and it just wasn’t working out that way. So, obviously, he had to waive me and do that (buy him out). We were in touch. We have a great relationship.

“I really respected the way Lou handled the team the years I was there. He gave me a chance and we’ll always have that relationship and always be good friends.”

Even one of the worst moments of White’s time as a Devil was a positive moment in his relationship with the team. He lost much of the vision in his right eye after being struck with a puck during Sept. 19, 2007 training camp practice. He missed the first 20 games of the 2007-08 season while he recovered.

“That was difficult, but they supported me,” White said of the Devils. “It wasn’t rushed or anything like that. It was just when I felt comfortable when I came back. I had their support and that made it a lot easier. They supported me throughout my years there time and time again. I have nothing but praise for the way I was treated there.”

Old
08-07-2011, 06:06 PM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Understatement of the decade right there.

Both cleared. http://twitter.com/#!/renhockey/stat...27463687872512
http://nhlnumbers.com/teams/NYI?year=2012

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote