HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Shea Weber

Old
08-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Orr Nightmare

vCash: 500
Shea Weber

Shea Weber is having contract issues in Nashville to know ones surprise...

What would it take to get him to New York.

I would start with:

Dan Giradi
MDZ
Hagelin
1st.

Nice sure if that is enough or if Poile would laugh @ that offer, just a suggestion.

What do you think.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

If you go by what San Jose just gave up for Brent Burns...Setoguchi, Coyle and a 1st...and the fact that Weber > Burns, then you'd have to start with something like this:

Dubinsky
MDZ
Kreider

for

Weber

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Miz

Stay the course, id love to have Weber but no need to deplete our farm system and roster to get him.

Miz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Rangers1135

We really don't need defense, though it would be nice to have him. I rather go after Parise than Weber. Our defense is already one of the best and one of the youngest.

Rangers1135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:10 AM
NYR Viper

Dubinsky + McIlrath + Thomas

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:11 AM
94now

Pretty much anyone Preds would want. They wouldn't, though. They will keep him at any cost the arbitrator awards him. He will be UFA next summer, so we will be able to get him for free in terms of assets. There is no hurry, we can wait a year. All we need is 7 million in cap space by then.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:13 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Pretty much anyone Preds would want. They wouldn't, though. They will keep him at any cost the arbitrator awards him. He will be UFA next summer, so we will be able to get him for free in terms of assets. There is no hurry, we can wait a year. All we need is 7 million in cap space by then.
He will be on a (2) year contract. He has (2) more years as an RFA.

Old
08-03-2011, 11:14 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Defense/goaltending is already a strength of ours. No reason to gut the forward corps and prospect pool to improve that area. Big pass on trading for him unless it's a highway robbery.

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:15 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
If we give up Dubinsky, then what does that do to our LW depth?

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:19 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Defense/goaltending is already a strength of ours. No reason to gut the forward corps and prospect pool to improve that area. Big pass on trading for him unless it's a highway robbery.
If people want to solidify this team as a contender for the next 10-15 years, then trading for Weber would NOT be a bad thing. Move anyone not named Staal or Hank on the current roster and I am totally fine with it.

Weber is a top-5 defenseman in this league. He has a rocket from the point and is a mean, tough, SOB.

Old
08-03-2011, 11:23 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
If we give up Dubinsky, then what does that do to our LW depth?
That would not be a move for only the "hear-and-now". Still have Wolski (if they keep him), Kreider, Miller (can play LW), Boyle (if he switches to LW), MZA (can play both sides) and whoever else they draft.

Staal-Weber
McDonagh-Sauer
Erixon-Girardi

One of, if not the best defense in the entire league. Plus Hank behind that. And Gabroik and Richards up front with Stepan, Ansiimov and Callahan as secondary scorers for the "here-and-now".

Move Girardi or someone else for help on the LW? There are options but when a player like Weber becomes available, you don't say, oh well look at what it will do our LW depth right now.

Old
08-03-2011, 11:30 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Nashville needs offense.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:53 AM
SkerZ
LGR

Stay the course no need to trade away young roster guys or prospects. Obviously it would be great to have him but our back end is pretty damn promising.

SkerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:58 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
If people want to solidify this team as a contender for the next 10-15 years, then trading for Weber would NOT be a bad thing. Move anyone not named Staal or Hank on the current roster and I am totally fine with it.

Weber is a top-5 defenseman in this league. He has a rocket from the point and is a mean, tough, SOB.
I guess the question is whether or not you think the team will contend in the next 2-3 years without Weber. If one is of that opinion, then it would be a mistake to trade for him because it would most likely decimate our forward corps. The high salary that Weber is going to command would also handcuff us from making any other major acquisitions.

The perfect is the enemy of the good, as they say. Would it be awesome to have Shea Weber? Hell yeah. On the other hand, we already have a very strong set of defensemen on our hands, and with a goalie like Henrik, that set of defensemen will be made all the more effective. The next 2-3 years could see us making a serious run at the Cup, which I don't know we'd be able to do if we gutted the roster for Weber.

Old
08-03-2011, 12:03 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I guess the question is whether or not you think the team will contend in the next 2-3 years without Weber. If one is of that opinion, then it would be a mistake to trade for him because it would most likely decimate our forward corps. The high salary that Weber is going to command would also handcuff us from making any other major acquisitions.

The perfect is the enemy of the good, as they say. Would it be awesome to have Shea Weber? Hell yeah. On the other hand, we already have a very strong set of defensemen on our hands, and with a goalie like Henrik, that set of defensemen will be made all the more effective. The next 2-3 years could see us making a serious run at the Cup, which I don't know we'd be able to do if we gutted the roster for Weber.
I think they could make a run at The Cup this year if they traded Dubinsky + for Weber.....

Would the team have holes? Of course. But the teams defense would be amazing. And that would not changes for 10-15 years. Boston's offense wasn't that great this year, they won The Cup.

Old
08-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Dfence033

As a fan of both teams, I don't think the Rangers have the assets necessary to pull Weber away. The only realistic proposal I could see from the Rangers that would have the Predators interested in would be something along the lines of:

Dubinsky/Callahan
Kreider
Girardi

To start.

Preds love 2-way forwards who can hit and score, and need roster players on the offensive side coming back NOW if they are to move either Suter or Weber, so Cally or Dubi is an absolute MUST in terms of a deal. They also need top-end potential offensive players, and Kreider is the closest thing the Rangers have to fill that need. They also need a capable defenseman coming back to fill Weber's spot, even though Blum has looked fantastic and they have a ridiculously deep defensive pool, none are ready to play minutes that Weber would log. In all likelyhood, the Rangers would even have to add a 1st+, seeing as his value as an RFA (and one of the top-5 defenseman in the league) is 4 1st-rounders. To conclude, the Rangers would have to gut their current roster, have their prospect pool take a hit, and likely add picks to pry Weber away.

Dfence033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 12:04 PM
TreeSapLlama

Nashville won't want any D prospects back, they are stocked full of them. They need firepower badly. If you really want Shea Weber, my estimation of the price would be

Dubinsky + Callahan + Kreider

I certainly wouldn't do that deal, but that it probably what it would take.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 12:24 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I think they could make a run at The Cup this year if they traded Dubinsky + for Weber.....

Would the team have holes? Of course. But the teams defense would be amazing. And that would not changes for 10-15 years. Boston's offense wasn't that great this year, they won The Cup.
They scored the 3rd most goals in the Eastern Conference, 20 more than we did. The payment for Weber would probably be an established forward or two, along with one of our top prospects. Would we be able to increase our scoring while parting with the contributions of somebody like Dubinsky or Callahan? That doesn't even begin to address the leadership/physicality/forechecking that would be lost with one/both of them (which was a key element of Boston's forward group).

Eventually increasing the strength of the defense becomes overkill, and you wind up sacrificing the strength of the forward lines.

Old
08-03-2011, 12:24 PM
94now

We will sign Weber as UFA in two summers. No need to do anything, although it makes sense kidding or not. We wont need him sooner anyway. Our only hope is one or more from Anisimov, Kreider or Stepan will pan out by then.

Old
08-03-2011, 12:25 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkerZ View Post
Stay the course no need to trade away young roster guys or prospects. Obviously it would be great to have him but our back end is pretty damn promising.
this. absolutely no reason to make a play for weber. hes a guy anyone would love to have but its not a need for us. were in good position right now to win a couple rounds in the playoffs. we have the goalie and quite honestly i love our defense. Vtank and kundratek are knocking on the door. i really like our offense and depth. imo we really just need that 1st line. LW

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Dfence033

Quote:
We will sign Weber as UFA next summer. No need to do anything, although it makes sense kidding or not.
For the 10,000th time, even if Weber signs a 1-year deal, he will NOT be an Unrestricted Free Agent next season. You can not, and will not sign Shea Weber as a UFA next summer, it's impossible.

Old
08-03-2011, 12:34 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfence033 View Post
For the 10,000th time, even if Weber signs a 1-year deal, he will NOT be an Unrestricted Free Agent next season. You can not, and will not sign Shea Weber as a UFA next summer, it's impossible.
I corrected that. 2 years. Do you think Preds will prevent offer sheets next year? I kinda doubt. That could be another option, no?

Old
08-03-2011, 12:37 PM
BluelineHammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeSapLlama View Post
Nashville won't want any D prospects back, they are stocked full of them. They need firepower badly. If you really want Shea Weber, my estimation of the price would be

Dubinsky + Callahan + Kreider

I certainly wouldn't do that deal, but that it probably what it would take.
I don't think that they would have enough leverage with Weber (especially if it's known that there are negotiation problems) to ask for both Dubi and Cally. I would think it would be one or the other, a top prospect and a pick or two(at least one 1st rounder). If that was the case I would absolutely go after Weber. The team getting the best player almost always wins the trade. As much as we love Dubi and especially Callahan, they are replaceable players, You don't get a shot at a guy like Weber very often, and as someone mentioned above, our defense would be awesome. We are also deep at defense which would give us enough assets to bring in players to replace whoever goes.

BluelineHammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 12:42 PM
Dfence033

Quote:
I corrected that. 2 years. Do you think Preds will prevent offer sheets next year? I kinda doubt. That could be another option, no?
Respectfully withdrawn on the time-frame then. And yes, I do expect the Predators to prevent offer sheets next year, but I don't actually expect it to get that far. I see another Parise-type situation brewing, a 1-year deal (although that keeps Weber as an RFA this season) followed by a mid-season negotiation for a long-term deal, pending on where the team stands this season and in the future, for how much money he asks for. If the team is doing well, I figure he will ask for less money. And in response to what the other poster said, there is no indication that there is a break-down in the negotiation process, just another arbitration case with a top-flight RFA. It's happened with Stamkos, Dubinsky, Callahan, Doughty, and several others just this off-season alone. It doesn't mean that Weber wants out. Rangers fans of all teams should know this, after fielding low-ball offers for Cally and Dubi, since they weren't negotiating and such to all the other team's fans who thought it'd be high-time to poach them both, until they finally resigned.

Old
08-03-2011, 12:50 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfence033 View Post
And yes, I do expect the Predators to prevent offer sheets next year, but I don't actually expect it to get that far. I see another Parise-type situation brewing, a 1-year deal (although that keeps Weber as an RFA this season) followed by a mid-season negotiation for a long-term deal, pending on where the team stands this season and in the future, for how much money he asks for. If the team is doing well, I figure he will ask for less money. And in response to what the other poster said, there is no indication that there is a break-down in the negotiation process, just another arbitration case with a top-flight RFA.
Reasonable, yet not convincing on highlighted thought.