HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Good free Fantasy Hockey sites?

Old
08-03-2011, 12:36 PM
NumberFive
Just a Schnook

vCash: 500
Good free Fantasy Hockey sites?

Since Fantasy Hockey seasons are just around the corner, I wanted to toss this out. Forgive me if the general populace already knows the answers to this!

I've been involved with Yahoo Fantasy Hockey for 4 years now, and for a free site it's OK, but I'm curious to know what else is out there that's worth checking out. Has to be a free site, I'm not a gambler and can't see spending money on something I can do for free elsewhere. Also, I like having 'private' leagues as opposed to 'public' leagues (I've been commissioner of 2 leagues, both private). Beyond that, I'm not overly picky, but the more bells and whistles that are available, the better! Anyone know of anything? Thanks!

NumberFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 12:40 PM
wingz rule

I've gone through a few free fantasy hockey sites and yahoo is the best by far. The way its organized as well as the features on it outmatch any of the other current free sites.

wingz rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

ESPN is pretty good.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:21 PM
NumberFive
Just a Schnook

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post
ESPN is pretty good.
I was checking them out, what's the difference between League Manager and Standard Free?

Old
08-03-2011, 01:23 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

I use Yahoo for fantasy football and its fantastic. I would assume its very good for hockey too.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:29 PM
NumberFive
Just a Schnook

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
I use Yahoo for fantasy football and its fantastic. I would assume its very good for hockey too.
It is, and it's quite versatile, but in my H2H leagues I have a rule involving abandoned teams and how it's handled. Ideally, I'd like to be able to go back in time and alter points awarded for past weeks when a team is abandoned by its manager, but Yahoo doesn't allow for that, which creates a bit of a sticky situation. (Without getting into too much detail, abandoned teams forfeit all points going forward, but it's a little more complex than that.) Still, it's not a bad setup, I've been pretty satisfied with them the past 4 years.

Old
08-03-2011, 01:52 PM
Shoalzie

ESPN and Yahoo! are the best of the free major sites. CBS is the most customizable and in depth but you have to pay that their league manager. ESPN has the better features if you're doing a keeper league. Yahoo! is better for yearly leagues with no keeper/dynasty element.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:58 PM
NumberFive
Just a Schnook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
ESPN and Yahoo! are the best of the free major sites. CBS is the most customizable and in depth but you have to pay that their league manager. ESPN has the better features if you're doing a keeper league. Yahoo! is better for yearly leagues with no keeper/dynasty element.
On that note, I've never participated in a keeper league before...what sort of differences do you see between keepers and non-keepers? (Apart from keeping your players year-over-year, of course...)

Old
08-03-2011, 02:45 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
Yahoo actually added several keeper features this past year or two. You can designate keepers and trade future draft picks now, for instance.

I've been using yahoo for I think about 12 or 13 years and have always been happy with them. In general, I prefer yahoo over ESPN. One great thing about them is that they are constantly striving to make a better product. An improvement is always right around the corner.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberFive View Post

I was checking them out, what's the difference between League Manager and Standard Free?

I forget I haven't created a new league on there in a while as mines carry over. I know you can create and commissioner your own league for free.

But they also have a pay to play one with meaningless features.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:56 PM
The Silver Lining

vCash: 221
Forgive me if this is a silly question as I'm new here, but is there any kind of yearly HF league?

The Silver Lining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 06:52 AM
NumberFive
Just a Schnook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronwalld View Post
Forgive me if this is a silly question as I'm new here, but is there any kind of yearly HF league?
How do you mean? Are you looking for a league where you keep your players and have the same team on the same league season after season (that's a keeper league), or one where you start fresh each year (non-keeper)?

There's no HF leagues that exist year-round, as they're tied directly into the NHL season. No NHL games, no fantasy hockey.

(Trying to address the different possible ways you meant your question.)

Old
08-04-2011, 07:14 AM
ProPAIN
Waar is da feestje?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronwalld View Post
We do have a Red Wings HFBoards league on Yahoo which is hosted by one of the mods (don't know if that is going to continue). Last year we had two because there was a lot of demand. I was runner up in one and got owned in the other (stupid Kovalchuk).

I would wait until at least September for news about fantasy hockey leagues. They are non-keeper leagues btw.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 07:34 AM
NumberFive
Just a Schnook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
We do have a Red Wings HFBoards league on Yahoo which is hosted by one of the mods (don't know if that is going to continue). Last year we had two because there was a lot of demand. I was runner up in one and got owned in the other (stupid Kovalchuk).

I would wait until at least September for news about fantasy hockey leagues. They are non-keeper leagues btw.
I hear ya about Kovalchuk. I tried to draft for him (lost), then breathed a sigh of relief after I saw the year he was having.

Excellent news about the HFBoards league, I'll be sure to look for it! Thanks!

Old
08-04-2011, 01:51 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
ESPN and Yahoo are the 2 I have played in. I tried ESPN for the first time last year, and I felt their was more depth than Yahoo, although I can't really put my finger on why, maybe it was the leagues I was in.

Their were also 2 fantasy leagues last year for HFBoards Red Wings board. I participated in both and did alright (got lucky beating Boxcats in the Championship in 1 league, and have Miller screw me in the playoffs in the other where I ended up in 6th). They were definently fun and active.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 05:14 PM
winger7020

Im actually pretty intrigued with this fantasy stuff this year. I have never done it for any sport ever. I want to give a try this year, i dont know what i am doing at all really but if anyone is looking to add someone to their league let me know i will try it out.

winger7020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 09:32 PM
ESunlin

Send a message via MSN to ESunlin Send a message via Yahoo to ESunlin
Shoalzie and I ran the ones last year. This year, I am definitely not going to have the time to run or even participate...

I don't know if Shoalzie is still going to run one? I don't know if the demand will be high enough to need two. Later this month/into September will be time enough to figure that out.

ESunlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 11:00 PM
MissNHL

I always use yahoo for fantasy hockey. Last year I was in 4 leagues. I run my own, do a general one, participate in an all girls one and then last year I was in one from the official wings message board.

I will most likely be in 3 this year unless there is one on here then I might do that if it's a yahoo one.

Oh and I was able to handle 4 because on Sunday I would do my weekly line-ups and then check to make sure there were no injuries when I would check my email.

MissNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 06:37 AM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESunlin View Post
Shoalzie and I ran the ones last year. This year, I am definitely not going to have the time to run or even participate...

I don't know if Shoalzie is still going to run one? I don't know if the demand will be high enough to need two. Later this month/into September will be time enough to figure that out.

Yeah, I can't play either. I'll be happy to help you guys get a league together but I'm sticking with my existing keeper and dynasty leagues.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 08:22 AM
Filppula
Jurks

I'd love to go into a Yahoo Wings HFBoards league if possible...

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 12:15 AM

What site has free keeper leagues?

locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 12:58 AM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersForLife View Post
I know Yahoo and ESPN do.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 01:57 PM
ProPAIN
Waar is da feestje?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersForLife View Post
Yahoo definitely has them but you have to look for them or start one. I'm in one but we're not looking to expand for the moment.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:14 PM
chances14

espn's league manager tools are a ton more user friendly than yahoo's. i also prefer espn's draft softwrae and layout over yahoo's

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:49 AM
corpfan1

There is a pretty good list I found here:

http://www.playdailyfantasyhockey.co...-hockey-sites/

corpfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote