HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hawks re-sign Sharp, 5 years at $5.9m per

Old
08-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

vCash: 500
Hawks re-sign Sharp, 5 years at $5.9m per

All over Twitter.

$5.9 a year is a lot for Sharp. I'm not saying he's not worth it, but that's a lot of money for Sharp. $2 million a year more than Franzen. About as much as Zetterberg.

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:13 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice View Post
All over Twitter.

$5.9 a year is a lot for Sharp. I'm not saying he's not worth it, but that's a lot of money for Sharp. $2 million a year more than Franzen. About as much as Zetterberg.
Patrick Sharp is a really good player. Given that this contract takes him to 36 years old, it's not really so bad at all

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Shoalzie

What is with this new obsession over what rival teams sign their players for? Yeah, he signed a new deal...what of it?

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Jussha

I think this is a pretty good contract considering the term is only 5 years and he will be 34 after that. I guess the cap went up at the right time for the Hawks so they could make a deal like this.

Jussha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:27 PM
NumberFive
Just a Schnook

Enh, anything to spark debate until the season starts, is my guess.

NumberFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:27 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
What is with this new obsession over what rival teams sign their players for? Yeah, he signed a new deal...what of it?
It's the offseason and the Wings are pretty much set. What else are we going to waste our time talking about other than prospects?

As for Sharp………that’s pretty pricey. I expected a 5.0 million per year deal. Considering the market though.....and how much was spent, I guess it's not really an overpayment.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:35 PM
sarcastro

$64 mil cap and the Panthers bailed out the Hawks big-time. Now they have a dynasty in the making. I'm gonna be sick.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
$64 mil cap and the Panthers bailed out the Hawks big-time. Now they have a dynasty in the making. I'm gonna be sick.
Agreed. If the Hawks don't win the next 4 cups then something is seriously wrong.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:44 PM
NumberFive
Just a Schnook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Agreed. If the Hawks don't win the next 4 cups then something is seriously wrong.
From the moment I heard Scotty was headed over there, I expected nothing less in due time.

Now all we need is for Detroit to head to the Eastern Conference and we can meet up with them in the Finals.

Old
08-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Sharp already made 3.9M so really this is only 2M increase to Hawks cap

Hawks have everyone of our core players locked up until 2015 and all our support pieces locked up until 2014

I am happy

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
This.

My guess is that its the summer and nothing is going on.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post
This.

My guess is that its the summer and nothing is going on.
Yep the summer can be pretty boring ,, On Hawks board we had a 2 page discussion on Marcel Hossa

He shouldn't even garner a 1 post response

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
I wouldn't call it an "obsession," two major pieces from two of the Wings' biggest rivals re-signed recently. It's not like we're talking about Kent Huskins re-signing with the Sharks or something. It's discussion-worthy and there's no other news to talk about.

Never mind, let's just keep debating whether or not Osgood's number should be retired!

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:17 PM
crashman

vCash: 714
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
I'm not sure if either of you are being sarcastic, but...

It's this signing that finally set them over the edge? People seem to forget the pieces that they lost while trying to get under the cap. I think they're just like the other top teams in the West...Van, San Jose, LA, Chicago, Detroit...all pretty equal IMO.

The Wings have probably taken a step back because of age, but this signing and other off-season moves haven't really made the Hawks a better team IMO. Sharp is a quality player, but I never doubted for a second that he'd re-sign in Chicago.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
I guess Sharp had a career year at just the right time. He's a really nice player, but that just feels high to me. Have to wonder, does this make Flip a $4.25m player?

08-03-2011, 02:36 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I guess Sharp had a career year at just the right time. He's a really nice player, but that just feels high to me. Have to wonder, does this make Flip a $4.25m player?
I'm confused.

Why are we comparing a 27 year old who, while solid defensively, is not physical, has never scored 20 goals, and has yet to reach 40 points....to a guy who is just 2 years older, actually hits, is just as solid defensively, has scored 25+ goals for the past 4 years straight, and has been on pace for 60+ points during that same period?

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:38 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Sharp already made 3.9M so really this is only 2M increase to Hawks cap

Hawks have everyone of our core players locked up until 2015 and all our support pieces locked up until 2014

I am happy
Let's just hope that all your core players get old and/or injured, like the Wings' guys have since they got their core locked up a couple years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wingman View Post

It's this signing that finally set them over the edge? People seem to forget the pieces that they lost while trying to get under the cap. I think they're just like the other top teams in the West...Van, San Jose, LA, Chicago, Detroit...all pretty equal IMO.

The Wings have probably taken a step back because of age, but this signing and other off-season moves haven't really made the Hawks a better team IMO. Sharp is a quality player, but I never doubted for a second that he'd re-sign in Chicago.
The hope was that their cap problems would cause Chicago to have to dump some of their good players, such as Seabrook, Sharp, etc. Now they get to keep everyone, they get rid of deadweight Brian Campbell, they pick up two solid if unspectacular defenders in Montador and ODonnell, they have a 23 year old Frolik who is probably going to develop into a 30-40 goal man for them, and so on.

They were good enough to win the Cup last year, they've picked up some decent pieces and they haven't lost anything that was in any way important. That's why some of us are pissed.

Old
08-03-2011, 02:40 PM
NumberFive
Just a Schnook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice View Post
I wouldn't call it an "obsession," two major pieces from two of the Wings' biggest rivals re-signed recently. It's not like we're talking about Kent Huskins re-signing with the Sharks or something. It's discussion-worthy and there's no other news to talk about.

Never mind, let's just keep debating whether or not Osgood's number should be retired!
No. Next.

Old
08-03-2011, 02:41 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:

Yeah, I'm not quite sure who this signing sets them up to be much more than they are now. They struggled to make the playoffs last year. This year, Crawford is still unproven, and while they're a hell of a lot scrappier this year than they were last, losing Campbell is a much bigger deal than people are making it out to be, simply because of the salary that was moved as a result. They also lost Brouwer and Kopecky who, while not exactly huge pieces to the puzzle, weren't exactly upgraded with additions like Brunette and Olesz.

Its the Sharks that worry me a lot more with their additions of Handzus, White, and Burns, and with Couture moving up the ranks with lightning speed.

Old
08-03-2011, 02:46 PM
crashman

vCash: 714
Quote:
Let's just hope that all your core players get old and/or injured, like the Wings' guys have since they got their core locked up a couple years ago.

The hope was that their cap problems would cause Chicago to have to dump some of their good players, such as Seabrook, Sharp, etc. Now they get to keep everyone, they get rid of deadweight Brian Campbell, they pick up two solid if unspectacular defenders in Montador and ODonnell, they have a 23 year old Frolik who is probably going to develop into a 30-40 goal man for them, and so on.

They were good enough to win the Cup last year, they've picked up some decent pieces and they haven't lost anything that was in any way important. That's why some of us are pissed.
Well, just to calm you down a little...

Brian Campbell was not dead weight. He was overpaid, but he was still a VERY good defenseman.

If Frolik has 40 goal potential, then Kane has 70 goal potential and we're screwed anyway.

Somehow, Kopecky was a world-beater for them at times, losing him at 1.2m (or whatever he made) is a loss. Same goes for Brouwer.

Plus they lost Ladd, Byfuglien and Versteeg the year before...all very good players in their given roles.

Last edited by crashman: 08-03-2011 at 02:51 PM.
crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:48 PM
NumberFive
Just a Schnook

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
Yeah, I'm not quite sure who this signing sets them up to be much more than they are now. They struggled to make the playoffs last year. This year, Crawford is still unproven, and while they're a hell of a lot scrappier this year than they were last, losing Campbell is a much bigger deal than people are making it out to be, simply because of the salary that was moved as a result. They also lost Brouwer and Kopecky who, while not exactly huge pieces to the puzzle, weren't exactly upgraded with additions like Brunette and Olesz.

Its the Sharks that worry me a lot more with their additions of Handzus, White, and Burns, and with Couture moving up the ranks with lightning speed.
Not sure I agree with that statement about Crawford. He was pretty solid the year before last, then last year he became money in the bank. True, he had a couple of shaky outings, but what goalie doesn't? Even Brodeur was known to have a disasterous outing once in a while (before you jump on me, I'm not talking about last year here, that whole season was a disaster for him, but that wasn't his fault).

Old
08-03-2011, 03:00 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:

Right. Brian Campbell was clearly not important, as evidenced by his 25-30 minutes in the playoffs, his role as the Hawks #3 Dman, a 2nd unit PKer, and his 35 point scoring pace despite getting 2nd unit PP time.

But of course Sean O'Donnell - the 39 year old Dman who wasn't even a top 4 PKer for the Flyers and allotted just 12 minutes of ice time per game in the playoffs - is "solid."

Old
08-03-2011, 03:06 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberFive View Post

Not sure I agree with that statement about Crawford. He was pretty solid the year before last, then last year he became money in the bank. True, he had a couple of shaky outings, but what goalie doesn't? Even Brodeur was known to have a disasterous outing once in a while (before you jump on me, I'm not talking about last year here, that whole season was a disaster for him, but that wasn't his fault).

Wait, what? The season before last? When he played all of one game?

He played 8 games over a span of 5 years before this year. That tells us nothing.

The test for goaltenders has always been and will always be whether than can adjust to shooters that actually scout him and get to know his tendencies. The hockey world is littered with goalies who have wowed in the first year or 2 of their established careers and have petered out once shooters get familiar with them.

I respectfully, but completely, disagree.

Old
08-03-2011, 04:35 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Well, just to calm you down a little...

Brian Campbell was not dead weight. He was overpaid, but he was still a VERY good defenseman.

If Frolik has 40 goal potential, then Kane has 70 goal potential and we're screwed anyway.

Somehow, Kopecky was a world-beater for them at times, losing him at 1.2m (or whatever he made) is a loss. Same goes for Brouwer.

Plus they lost Ladd, Byfuglien and Versteeg the year before...all very good players in their given roles.
Frolik has elite skill. It didn't pan out in Florida because, well, whose elite skill has EVER panned out in Florida? But they got him basically for nothing and it's exactly the kind of supportive skilled environment where a guy like that can flourish. Dude scored 20 goals a couple years back and he's only 23. Bury him if you wish, but I give him a good chance of getting it together in Chicago.

Olesz has some skill as well - it's not unthinkable that he'd be a 20 goal man in Chicago.

Kopecky, Brouwer and Versteeg are nothing special. Fugly is another all-offense/no-defense defenseman and they have plenty of defensive talent to live without him. Ladd is a good player but he's not a gamebreaker. All replaceable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
Right. Brian Campbell was clearly not important, as evidenced by his 25-30 minutes in the playoffs, his role as the Hawks #3 Dman, a 2nd unit PKer, and his 35 point scoring pace despite getting 2nd unit PP time.

But of course Sean O'Donnell - the 39 year old Dman who wasn't even a top 4 PKer for the Flyers and allotted just 12 minutes of ice time per game in the playoffs - is "solid."
When your top 4 defensemen play 25+ minutes a night, that only leaves PK and mopup time for your 3rd pair. And that's the sort of thing O'Donnell is still pretty good at.

Campbell is a bad defender. They'll be better without him. They have plenty of guys who can play the 2nd PP point and rack up secondary assists.

Old
08-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Brian Campbell isn't a bad defensemen, just a bad contract. Before he signed his contract he was the most sought after UFA in the league, virtually every team wanted him. His game hasn't changed.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote