HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Arpon Basu: Demotion means a Promotion

Old
08-03-2011, 12:41 PM
PricePkPatch

vCash: 500
Arpon Basu: Demotion means a Promotion

Arpon's article

In short, he repeats what I (and some others) have been saying all summer. Godspeed, AK

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 12:52 PM
neofury*

He reads HF to get ideas

Seriously though it's true. Kostitsyn will also be with Eller. Going to be good for Eller's development having a guy with top 6 experience on his line.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:02 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Its been said and I'll say it again. We're not talking about a top 6 anymore... it's a top 9. We got that much depth on O for the first time since 86.

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Paul Dipietro

But will AK see it as a promotion/opportunity? Should he get deflated as a result it could very well nullify the potential gains of facing weaker opposition

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:06 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Its going to be largely dependent on ice time. If Martin gives the 3rd line enough minutes. Its not going to be super easy to put up 50 points playing on the 3rd line with 17 point Eller and Moen/Darche/DD on his line.

He's going to need some top 6 time to keep up his numbers. He can't do it all by himself.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Here's my response to Arpon's blog:

i agree with your point of view, however you've failed to mention one key factor in why Kostitsyn's climb in effectiveness may come to fruition: Lars Eller. I noticed early on the 10-11 season that the two had chemistry, and hoped and prayed that Martin would eventually pair them together. When he finally did, the results were immediate. Even when they didn't produce, you could clearly see that both raised each other's respective game to another level.

Besides maybe the elite players, who can produce with anyone, anytime, most players in this league need the perfect combination of line-mates to reach their full potential. I see that with Eller and Kostitsyn. Maybe it's the fact that Eller is even more meek than Kostitsyn, and it makes Kostitsyn feel like the leader on the line. Maybe it's the fact that Kostitsyn sees Eller's work ethic is already better than his, and he wants to prove to himself and his line-mate that he can work hard too. Maybe its just that they have similar personalities. Whatever it is, I sincerely hope the coaching staff recognizes it, and makes sure they play as often as possible together. Because a 3rd line that can be as offensive as that could be the difference between a first round exit and conference final birth.

Kostitsyn is a player that needs to feel important, feel needed. It's probably not helped that whatever line he's played on he's felt like someone's little brother that is helping out, not really a part of the true brethren. That's what makes his partnership with Eller work: they are both young, and eager to prove to the older players that they are not just kids, but brothers as well.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Protest the Hero

It's nice going into the season with a definite top 9 instead of just a top 6. Plekanec gets shutdown duties anyways, so we might as well put some offense on a third line and have them play against easier opposition.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:49 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dipietro View Post
But will AK see it as a promotion/opportunity? Should he get deflated as a result it could very well nullify the potential gains of facing weaker opposition
I reply with this:

JM: Andrei, you will play with Eller
AK: but... Third line?
JM: it's a contract year. Do you want to score 40 goals or not?
AK: oh! More goals mean more money!
JM: good boy

Old
08-03-2011, 02:06 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Its going to be largely dependent on ice time. If Martin gives the 3rd line enough minutes. Its not going to be super easy to put up 50 points playing on the 3rd line with 17 point Eller and Moen/Darche/DD on his line.

He's going to need some top 6 time to keep up his numbers. He can't do it all by himself.
You didn't watch Eller play if you think he can be summed up by his 17 points. And desharnais was over 0.5 ppg with terrible ice time. That would make a killer 3rd line.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:11 PM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I reply with this:

JM: Andrei, you will play with Eller
AK: but... Third line?
AK: oh! More goals mean more money!
JM: good boy
Ok I'll play along with the slightly racist dialog. But this is how I would see it

AK: Plekanec?
JM: No
AK: OK. (Inner monologue in Belarusian: I wonder who Kovalev's centre will be this year)

Old
08-03-2011, 02:20 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
You didn't watch Eller play if you think he can be summed up by his 17 points. And desharnais was over 0.5 ppg with terrible ice time. That would make a killer 3rd line.
So it would be impossible for Eller to suffer from a sophomore slump? He's guaranteed to produce at a huge clip next year?

I agree we'll have a great 3rd line, I just don't think we are going to have 9 players in the 50+ point range like people are suggesting. For DD and Ak to get to 50 points, its probably going to mean other players get injured. I think 40-50 points for them is way more realistic than 50+ points.

What do you think Eller will put up next year? If Eller-AK-DD start putting up a tonne of points, it will attract a tougher shut down competition for them.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:21 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Ok I'll play along with the slightly racist dialog. But this is how I would see it

AK: Plekanec?
JM: No
AK: OK. (Inner monologue in Belarusian: I wonder who Kovalev's centre will be this year)
I know AK isn't necessarily a star thinker, but I am sure he remembers Eller :-P

Old
08-03-2011, 02:24 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:

What do you think Eller will put up next year? If Eller-AK-DD start putting up a tonne of points, it will attract a tougher shut down competition for them.
Which means easier shut down for our top-6.

Win-win dude

Old
08-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Nyclaus

Quote:
So it would be impossible for Eller to suffer from a sophomore slump? He's guaranteed to produce at a huge clip next year?

I agree we'll have a great 3rd line, I just don't think we are going to have 9 players in the 50+ point range like people are suggesting. For DD and Ak to get to 50 points, its probably going to mean other players get injured. I think 40-50 points for them is way more realistic than 50+ points.

In which case it frees up the top 2 lines from pesky "shadowers" and the opposition is still in a jam!

Nyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:32 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:

I could easily see Andrei in the 40-45pts area, Eller in the 35-40pts area and whomever plays the other side with them in the 25-30pts area (unless that someone is DD then I expect them all to put up 35-40+pts).

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
I know AK isn't necessarily a star thinker, but I am sure he remembers Eller :-P
I meant to say that he was making plans for the 2012-2013 season...

Old
08-03-2011, 04:17 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
That's the main thing. He looked very happy with Eller. And when he scored that goal on Eller's assist after that ice cold streak, he was just beaming. I rarely see AK showing emotion (not necessarily a bad thing) so I'm thinking he was genuinely happy playing with Eller... and not next to Gomer either

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 05:17 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
That's the main thing. He looked very happy with Eller. And when he scored that goal on Eller's assist after that ice cold streak, he was just beaming. I rarely see AK showing emotion (not necessarily a bad thing) so I'm thinking he was genuinely happy playing with Eller... and not next to Gomer either
Thats not an argument. Who would want to play with Gomez at the time?

But i am sure he has more fun playing wolf on the weaker 3rd lines than being the pooch on the 1st line. Better to have a scoring streak in Hell than a dry sequence in Heaven!

Old
08-03-2011, 05:20 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Thats not an argument. Who would want to play with Gomez at the time?

But i am sure he has more fun playing wolf on the weaker 3rd lines than being the pooch on the 1st line. Better to have a scoring streak in Hell than a dry sequence in Heaven!
That's great. I love 3 lines of offense and I was hoping we could do that, but I just don't think we have a 4th line with shutdown capabilities. Pleky, again, will have to take on that heavy duty role and pot less goals or create less plays.

Old
08-03-2011, 05:24 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
That's great. I love 3 lines of offense and I was hoping we could do that, but I just don't think we have a 4th line with shutdown capabilities. Pleky, again, will have to take on that heavy duty role and pot less goals or create less plays.
We have a solid d to compensate for a defensively flawed 4th line. Better to send them to shock and awe the enemy. Plek is already a great defensive centre, and with Cole on his side he will have much more space to work.

Overall, we have a much better team this year. Let's not agonize over what's missing to become perfect!

Old
08-03-2011, 05:42 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Overall, we have a much better team this year. Let's not agonize over what's missing to become perfect!
I'm an arm-chair GM/huge fan. Ofcourse I'll be picky and want my team to be the best it can be. I still think it's a mistake to not re-sign Halpern for another year. We can call up Engqvist for 20-ish games during the season to give him a bigger taste of the big league.

Anyway, that's done and I agree that we're a better team if healthy.

Old
08-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBarker View Post
Its been said and I'll say it again. We're not talking about a top 6 anymore... it's a top 9. We got that much depth on O for the first time since 86.
I don't think that it's the case at all. The Habs simply lack on top end talent, which makes every line very similar. They're more balanced, but I wouldn't call them "Top 9", at least not on many other teams... when your top points getter has less than 60 points anyway.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 08:49 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Cole was likely brought here to play along plekanec and cammalleri but it might not work out and ak might be back with them.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Cole was likely brought here to play along plekanec and cammalleri but it might not work out and ak might be back with them.
And then they'll go on a tear, scoring goals in just about every game they play in. Then one game, the line will be shut-down and Martin will blame Andrei and start switching up the lines, place Andrei on 3rd-4th line duties.

Just like he did last season.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 08:56 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

AKost has been getting the **** end of the stick way too often for my liking. However, I'd rather him have some stability with a centre he's proven to perform with (Eller), rather than have his confidence boosted playing with Pleks and Cammy, only to have Jacques Martin award him by sticking him with Gomez to "get him going." If the ATM line was kept together for the whole season they would have been a very very formidable threat and Kostitsyn's numbers would better reflect his abilities.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote