HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shea Weber

Old
08-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Dfence033

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Reasonable, yet not convincing on highlighted thought.
Why? Because it's another RFA the Rangers fanbase believes they can poach for very little and doesn't want to play in their current market a la Parise, Stamkos, Doughty? Stamkos signed a reasonable deal to stay in Tampa. Parise signed a 1-year deal and has said they intend on negotiating throughout the season on a long-term deal. Your own Callahan and Dubinsky went through this same thing not even a month ago, when I saw all kinds of ludicrous offers being sent your way saying that they obviously didn't want to sign with the Rangers or the Rangers couldn't afford them. I'll trust the insiders who all seem to be rather certain that Weber will remain a Predator, rather than speculation about another high-market team's wishes to poach the star-caliber players from around the league, no offense. And yes, I'm a Rangers fan as well.

Dfence033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Have a strange feeling the devils are going to trade parise+ for weber. That would actually be a great move for them. But not sure why nsh would do it unless the + is of significant value because there's no guarantee parise would stay after this year.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Dfence033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Have a strange feeling the devils are going to trade parise+ for weber. That would actually be a great move for them. But not sure why nsh would do it unless the + is of significant value because there's no guarantee parise would stay after this year.
A lot of us Nashville fans agree that a one-for-one swap of Parise for Weber would be ideal, if they both demand trades, and many Devils fans agree. However, the stipulations from both sides include sign-and-trades on both ends, ensuring that neither walks after this year. That is the caliber player they are looking for for a Shea Weber. A 45-goal, 90-point, excellent defensive player that fits directly into their system and gives them exactly what they need offensively, and that's exactly what the Rangers can't offer to get him.

Last edited by Dfence033: 08-03-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old
08-03-2011, 01:14 PM
satrabyk

Although Weber is a very good player its would not be wise to give a whole lot up for him. Imo Sauer is going to become a very good player, maybe not Weber but within his range, than we have Stall who is also usually a top 10 defencemen in the league when on his game. Its just not nedded at this point.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:18 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
If you go by what San Jose just gave up for Brent Burns...Setoguchi, Coyle and a 1st...and the fact that Weber > Burns, then you'd have to start with something like this:

Dubinsky
MDZ
Kreider

for

Weber
And we play who at LW now and in a few years?

No chance

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Dfence033

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Although Weber is a very good player its would not be wise to give a whole lot up for him. Imo Sauer is going to become a very good player, maybe not Weber but within his range, than we have Stall who is also usually a top 10 defencemen in the league when on his game. Its just not nedded at this point.
I hugely disagree on a lot of this. Yes, it's not wise to give up the entire future for Shea Weber, which is mostly what it would take from a Rangers perspective. However, Weber is a top-5, all-around defenseman in the entire NHL. Staal is a VERY good defenseman, but to include him in the top-10 might be a bit of a stretch. Sauer, even if he maximizes his potential, with be nowhere even close to Shea Weber. Weber is a 20-goal, 50-point defenseman on a team that had it's leading scorer under 50 points last season. Those are Mike Green offensive numbers on a team that can score. On top of that, he is one of the better defenseman on his own end as well, and he still hasn't hit his top-end yet. As for already having Staal, yes that's nice. But if the Predators have proven anything, it's that you can get quite a bit done in the league without having any offense at all if you have two top-5 defenseman (Staal/Weber, Weber/Suter) and an excellent goalie (Lundqvist/Rinne) on the back-end.

Old
08-03-2011, 01:22 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfence033 View Post
Why? Because it's another RFA the Rangers fanbase believes they can poach for very little and doesn't want to play in their current market a la Parise, Stamkos, Doughty? Stamkos signed a reasonable deal to stay in Tampa. Parise signed a 1-year deal and has said they intend on negotiating throughout the season on a long-term deal. Your own Callahan and Dubinsky went through this same thing not even a month ago, when I saw all kinds of ludicrous offers being sent your way saying that they obviously didn't want to sign with the Rangers or the Rangers couldn't afford them. I'll trust the insiders who all seem to be rather certain that Weber will remain a Predator, rather than speculation about another high-market team's wishes to poach the star-caliber players from around the league, no offense. And yes, I'm a Rangers fan as well.
Pretty much every "insider" now is saying that going to arbitration is a prelude to him leaving. Might not be to the Rangers (probably not), but he will be out of Nashville sooner rather than later for sure.

Edit: no idea why that smiley came up before but it was accidental.

Last edited by DrSutton*: 08-03-2011 at 01:32 PM.
DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Grow and roll with what we have now.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:28 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Nashville needs offense.
MZA for Weber

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:33 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I corrected that. 2 years. Do you think Preds will prevent offer sheets next year? I kinda doubt. That could be another option, no?
Nashville can't prevent offer sheets. Team elected arbitration can only be done once per player. Also, since the team elected arbitration this year, Weber has the choice of making it 1 or 2 years. He could opt for 2 years and then be a UFA. Or he could opt for 1 and sign an offer sheet next year.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:35 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfence033 View Post
A lot of us Nashville fans agree that a one-for-one swap of Parise for Weber would be ideal, if they both demand trades, and many Devils fans agree. However, the stipulations from both sides include sign-and-trades on both ends, ensuring that neither walks after this year. That is the caliber player they are looking for for a Shea Weber. A 45-goal, 90-point, excellent defensive player that fits directly into their system and gives them exactly what they need offensively, and that's exactly what the Rangers can't offer to get him.
I agree as well.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
If you go by what San Jose just gave up for Brent Burns...Setoguchi, Coyle and a 1st...and the fact that Weber > Burns, then you'd have to start with something like this:

Dubinsky
MDZ
Kreider

for

Weber
Top 3 Most valuable Defense-man

For

-Top 25 LW?
-Potential Offensive Juggernaught. a Top 4 Dman with top PPQB potential.
-Potential Top line Forward with explosive ability who's a sure-fire top 9 forward bc of his skating.

Still not enough in my mind. Weber is the man. Another 1st would have to be added and in that case - is it really worth it?

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Dealing Dubinsky and Kreider is too much. Replace Dubinsky with Callahan or Kreider with Thomas and it's fine with me.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:47 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Ryan Suter and Zach Parise are UFAs and don't require you to trade assets to acquire. I'd start there instead.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3075
As much as I would like to have him, we don't really need him. What ever trades people can come up with to make it fair, it still won't be worth it for us.

08-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i would give up forward assets to address something that is one of our strengths....depth on D....

Weber is amazing, but we dont need him. we need offense...we need 1 more prime time scorer....go after Parise instead.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:04 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Mitch Beck touched on this today over on Howlings

http://howlings.net/2011/08/03/stanl...-weber-dreams/

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:07 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Weber was awarded $7.5M in arbitration. One year award.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:09 PM
MSG the place to be*

Awarded 7.5M in arbitration making him the highest cap hit for a Dman in the league.

Stay the hell away. Would be terrible roster management when we already have a GREAT, YOUNG, CHEAP defensive unit.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:10 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Rather wait until next July and sign Suter.

People are going to be extremely disappointed in Weber once Suter isn't there to cover up his numerous defensive gaffes.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:14 PM
94now

Wow, 7.5. They cannot walk away. I was thinking 6.8. Is he highest paid D?

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:17 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

Yes, his cap hit is #1 for defenseman in the NHL.

His actual salary, however, is not. Pronger, Ehrhoff, Keith, and Chara all make more actual salary.

Old
08-03-2011, 02:22 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
People are going to be extremely disappointed in Weber once Suter isn't there to cover up his numerous defensive gaffes.
He'd be playing with Staal. It's not like he'd be with someone who can't play defense.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:24 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
He'd be playing with Staal. It's not like he'd be with someone who can't play defense.
I was just saying so in general - I wasn't even taking Weber + NY into account, because I don't consider it a possibility.

Old
08-03-2011, 02:25 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
lol it'd take so much maneuvering to get Weber here

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote