HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Top 20 Prospects, #4

View Poll Results: 4th best Flyers prospect?
Brendan Ranford 12 14.29%
Mike Testwuide 6 7.14%
Ben Holmstrom 6 7.14%
Joonas Lehtivuori 0 0%
Kevin Marshall 3 3.57%
Marc-Andre Bourdon 0 0%
Eric Wellwood 35 41.67%
Petr Placek 0 0%
Matt Read 11 13.10%
Marcel Noebels 1 1.19%
Brandon Manning 1 1.19%
Nick Cousins 1 1.19%
Jason Akeson 4 4.76%
Zac Rinaldo 1 1.19%
Oliver Lauridsen 3 3.57%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-02-2011, 05:52 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
There is something seriously wrong with your prospect pool when your 3rd best prospect is Erik Gustafsson.
Well that third best prospect has a higher chance then everyone else outside of the top 2 to be an impact player on this team. He couldeasily round out as a 3/4 d-man.

Also went Matt Read, but you cant go wrong with either Read/Wellwood/Ranford.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 05:59 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Nick Cousins. Because no one else will...and because I actually think he'll turn out to be a solid #5-6 defender.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPRichardsCarter View Post
Nick Cousins. Because no one else will...and because I actually think he'll turn out to be a solid #5-6 defender.
He's a forward?

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 06:03 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
He's a forward?
And by Cousins I meant Suellentrop. Not sure why I mixed those up...oh well.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 06:19 PM
GirouxCouturier
GirouxMVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPRichardsCarter View Post
And by Cousins I meant Suellentrop. Not sure why I mixed those up...oh well.
What?

What is Ranfords and Akesons highest possible ceilings? what type of players are they?

I said Wellwood

GirouxCouturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 07:24 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by girouxrichards View Post
What?

What is Ranfords and Akesons highest possible ceilings? what type of players are they?

I said Wellwood
Akeson- Ribeiro (with less grit and more speed)

Randord- Hartnell? (im not as sure about this one tbh)

(these are ceilings BTW)

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 07:41 PM
ilovetheflyers8

I voted Wellwood. Other possible additions are Suellentrop, Sestito, and Hovinen.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 07:42 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
I voted Wellwood. Other possible additions are Suellentrop, Sestito, and Hovinen.
im pulling for these two...

I'd love a "Tostito Night" promotion.

as for Hovinen, nothing but lil Wayne's "6 foot 7 foot" would do.

Old
08-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by girouxrichards View Post
What?

I said Wellwood
Ranford's ceiling is a top six forward, but he is far from a lock to make it with his size and skating concerns.

Akeson has top six forward potential if all goes right, but I think he is an even longer shot to reach his ceiling as he was a 20 year old dominating younger players in juniors. He is like Pither last year. I'll need to see him score at the AHL level before I get excited.

Wellwood's ceiling is lower (bottom six), but is closer to making it. IMO Wellwood is overrated somewhat. I'd take Ranford and Cousins over him.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 09:40 PM
CantSeeColors

Akeson all the way. Kid is a star in the making.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 12:36 AM
born bad

Manning, he brings a lot of skills to the table.

born bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:17 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Ranford's ceiling is a top six forward, but he is far from a lock to make it with his size and skating concerns.

Akeson has top six forward potential if all goes right, but I think he is an even longer shot to reach his ceiling as he was a 20 year old dominating younger players in juniors. He is like Pither last year. I'll need to see him score at the AHL level before I get excited.

Wellwood's ceiling is lower (bottom six), but is closer to making it. IMO Wellwood is overrated somewhat. I'd take Ranford and Cousins over him.
I am not excited about Akeson at all. I see Akeson and all I think of is Jason Krog. Kid has career AHLer written all over him. i know the kid has his fans here, whatever. I am not seeing it.
Read is more overrated around here then Wellwood. Some are putting Read in the top 6 on the big club. Again, I am not seeing it. He needs more time in the AHL. He had a nice run in his short time in the AHL last year, but I want to see what happens when teams start making adjustments on him and they will.
right now for me Holmstrom is ahead of Read and Wellwood. I liked what I saw from Testwuide in the 2nd half last year. Hopefully he can build off it. Yes I voted for Wellwood at #4 but that was a mistake on my part. Holmstrom is getting the vote for me at 5.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I am not excited about Akeson at all. I see Akeson and all I think of is Jason Krog. Kid has career AHLer written all over him. i know the kid has his fans here, whatever. I am not seeing it.
Read is more overrated around here then Wellwood. Some are putting Read in the top 6 on the big club. Again, I am not seeing it. He needs more time in the AHL. He had a nice run in his short time in the AHL last year, but I want to see what happens when teams start making adjustments on him and they will.
right now for me Holmstrom is ahead of Read and Wellwood. I liked what I saw from Testwuide in the 2nd half last year. Hopefully he can build off it. Yes I voted for Wellwood at #4 but that was a mistake on my part. Holmstrom is getting the vote for me at 5.
I agree on Akeson. I'd be shocked if he is anything more than a career AHLer.

I also agree on Read. I think Read gets overrated because the Flyers are high on him. Much like Bodrov in the past. Read was impressive in his short stint, but it's a small sample and he's 25. He's old for a prospect. Not convinced he will be anything more than a bottom six forward at the most.

I like Holmstrom, too, but I tend to rank the players with higher ceilings (Ranford, Cousins) higher. Though Holmstrom is much safer bet to make it.

Old
08-03-2011, 02:22 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I agree on Akeson. I'd be shocked if he is anything more than a career AHLer.

I also agree on Read. I think Read gets overrated because the Flyers are high on him. Much like Bodrov in the past. Read was impressive in his short stint, but it's a small sample and he's 25. He's old for a prospect. Not convinced he will be anything more than a bottom six forward at the most.

I like Holmstrom, too, but I tend to rank the players with higher ceilings (Ranford, Cousins) higher. Though Holmstrom is much safer bet to make it.
Believe it or not...

Ranford and Akeson are probably the only forwards (outside of Couturier and Schenn obviously) that have the potential to be more than just third line forwards.

You also have to stop saying "bottom six." Bottom six doesn't exist.

There is a fourth/checking line and there are average/mediocre/role-playing/complimentary forwards that play up and down an NHL top nine. We have a ton of prospects that project to be that guy including Nodl, Wellwood, Read, Testwuide, etc.

Ranford and Akeson are the only ones with more potential than that, but I doubt they ever realize anything more than that. It's certainly a long shot. They could both however end up very good third line forwards.

So don't make it out to seem like everyone's excited about players because they're "overrating" them.

Like Nodl...people seem to think that I believe he's some important and offensively gifted winger for our team. No, I like Nodl because of what he brings to the table. I like Read because I see him fitting well on our wing as a low-key/cheap complimentary forward.

People overreact and look for things to overreact to far too much around here.

Last edited by CS: 08-03-2011 at 02:43 PM.
CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:04 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Believe it or not...

Ranford and Akeson are probably the only forwards (outside of Couturier and Schenn obviously) that have the potential to be more than just third line forwards.

There is a fourth/checking line and there are average/mediocre/role-playing/complimentary forwards that play up and down an NHL top nine. We have a ton of prospects that project to be that guy including Nodl, Wellwood, Read, Testwuide, etc.

Ranford and Akeson are the only ones with more potential than that, but I doubt they ever realize anything more than that. It's certainly a long shot. They could both however end up very good third line forwards.

So don't make it out to seem like everyone's excited about players because they're "overrating" them.

Like Nodl...people seem to think that I believe he's some important and offensively gifted winger for our team. No, I like Nodl because of what he brings to the table. I like Read because I see him fitting well on our wing as a low-key/cheap complimentary forward.

I totally agree, every team needs its role players/complementary forwards as well as it's checking forwards. IMO having a number of these guys is not a bad thing and it's not like the flyers lack guys with the potential to be more then that. Not every team can have a future star in their system (even though the flyers might in schenn and couturier). Plus JVR, Giroux and Voracek are still young. Flyers are not in a bad spot at all when it comes to young talent or their prospect pool.

FlyersFan61290 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:31 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
I went with Ranford because he has the highest ceiling.
Which is why I picked Ranford LAST time (as well as this one). I figured asking what the top 20 prospects are is asking where they'll rank once they peak...not who's most NHL ready, which many seem to be going with Gustafsson, Read, Akeson, and Wellwood....

sobrien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:55 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Believe it or not...

agreed.

but im wondering why you left out cousins? His ceiling is probably higher than Ranford, and maybe even akeson

(like you said though, reaching their ceiling is a long-shot)

Old
08-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by born bad View Post
Manning, he brings a lot of skills to the table.

and he left money on the table, so we can re-sign Addai. Just kidding I like this kid a lot.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Believe it or not...

Believe it or not, but I already know that Ranford, Akeson (whom I am not high on), and perhaps Cousins are the only ones with top six potential.

You can call them whatever you like. All I am saying is these players project to be nothing more than role/utility type players that aren't going to contribute much offensively. You're not really saying anything different than what I've said.

No one is overreacting to anything except for you. You saw the word overrated and reacted based on that. I never once said or implied that people are excited for these prospects. I just feel there are prospects with higher ceilings in the system (even if they are long shots) that are getting overlooked. I feel the Reads, Akesons, and Wellwoods of the system are a dime a dozen. The AHL team is littered with old college prospects and overaged juniors. Most of them won't ever contribute to the Flyers on any meaningful basis.

Ranford and Cousins may be long shots, but I prefer young high ceiling prospects with room for improvement instead of the old low ceiling prospects that are closer to their peak potential.