HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pollak: Sharks sign D Colin White to one year deal, $1m

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2011, 03:34 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
wow 7.5mil for weber? seems way overpriced IMO
You're kidding, right? A once in a lifetime #1 dman in the prime of his career is not worth $7.5M for a season? Come on now.

Old
08-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
wow poor vandy haha. unless vlassic gets moved, he's the one in the pressbox.
Eh. He hasn't played anything resembling a full season since 05-06 when he suited up in 76 games for a terrible Blackhawks team so it's not like he's entering uncharted waters here.

Old
08-03-2011, 03:36 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanK81 View Post
I think we're close with Vlasic's 3.1M and the near 4M we have in free space after the White signing. just sayin'......
Technically yah, if we send Braun down, trade Vlasic, we'd have enough space. We'd likely have to trade Niitty as well to have some wiggle room.

Not going to happen though, it seriously was a joke.

Realistically it's going to be someone we can afford past this season. if we are trading for a player it's not going to be a rental. If Vlasic is moved, we can afford around a $4-5m player.

Old
08-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
You're kidding, right? A once in a lifetime #1 dman in the prime of his career is not worth $7.5M for a season? Come on now.
Once in a lifetime? I'd certainly make the argument that Weber isn't even the most valuable defenseman on his team, let alone anything close to a generational talent. He's a terrific player and probably a top 5 defenseman in the NHL and he's definitely worth $7.5mil to many teams but it makes little sense for the Sharks to have Weber, Burns and Boyle on the roster, especially since it will assuredly come at the cost of upgrading their currently poor depth up front.

Old
08-03-2011, 03:37 PM
JonathanK81

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Technically yah, if we send Braun down, trade Vlasic, we'd have enough space. We'd likely have to trade Niitty as well to have some wiggle room.

Not going to happen though, it seriously was a joke.

Realistically it's going to be someone we can afford past this season. if we are trading for a player it's not going to be a rental. If Vlasic is moved, we can afford around a $4-5m player.
Oh I know it was a joke...but hey, one (or all of us) can dream can't we?! I want to shoot for the moon. This is our window, I want to go for it.

Old
08-03-2011, 03:38 PM
wraith985

I don't understand why everyone is immediately jumping to the conclusion that Vlasic is going somewhere or that the move was made to 'send him a message' or whatever. What the heck are the indications that Colin White's *one-year* deal is going to push Vlasic out of San Jose?

This reminds me almost exactly of the Niemi situation last year: Doug makes his moves early on and assembles a team that he'd be okay with heading into the season, and then another player becomes available and he makes the deal. Last year, Niittymaki was all set to go as the #1 (or the co-#1 with Greiss) until Niemi became available. This time around, just swap names and numbers - Vandermeer was all set to go as the #6 until White became available. I don't think there's going to be a whole lot of debate about the fact that White is better than Vandermeer, so it's purely just a question of making the team better. You don't pass up those opportunities, especially when you're this far below the salary cap and when you're gunning for the Cup like the Sharks are. This makes sense as purely a depth move, so I don't see any reason to tack on other, unwarranted implications.

I could buy speculation that this means Moore will get shipped somewhere where he might get a shot at sticking for like a 7th rounder or something (with Braun staying in the AHL for one more year), but immediately jumping to Vlasic being on the block or in the doghouse is hilarious.

EDIT: As for the signing itself, I like it a lot. Vandermeer as a #7 is crazy depth and injuries will assuredly rear their head at some point, making that kind of depth valuable. It's very comforting to know that we have a good mix of mobility, offensive talent, and defensive responsibility between the big club and Woostah such that if any one (or multiple) of the top six goes down, there's a decent way to reconfigure the pairings and keep them respectable.

Old
08-03-2011, 03:39 PM
KzooShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharkzie View Post
I wonder how long it will take for this joke to get old. It still makes me laugh at least.
As long as Burns is in San Jose and Babcock is in Detroit and a playoff team, never.

Old
08-03-2011, 03:41 PM
CBJenga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Monster View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question but could anyone explain to me how those loans work? I know the player's cap hit is off the books but is ownership still on the hook for their salary or does the Euro team pay it? Thanks.
IIRC, The Euro team foots some percentage of the salary and the org is on the hook for the rest (but no cap hit)

Old
08-03-2011, 03:41 PM
RBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraith985 View Post
I don't understand why everyone is immediately jumping to the conclusion that Vlasic is going somewhere or that the move was made to 'send him a message' or whatever. What the heck are the indications that Colin White's *one-year* deal is going to push Vlasic out of San Jose?

This reminds me almost exactly of the Niemi situation last year: Doug makes his moves early on and assembles a team that he'd be okay with heading into the season, and then another player becomes available and he makes the deal. Last year, Niittymaki was all set to go as the #1 (or the co-#1 with Greiss) until Niemi became available. This time around, just swap names and numbers - Vandermeer was all set to go as the #6 until White became available. I don't think there's going to be a whole lot of debate about the fact that White is better than Vandermeer, so it's purely just a question of making the team better. You don't pass up those opportunities, especially when you're this far below the salary cap and when you're gunning for the Cup like the Sharks are. This makes sense as purely a depth move, so I don't see any reason to tack on other, unwarranted implications.

I could buy speculation that this means Moore will get shipped somewhere where he might get a shot at sticking for like a 7th rounder or something (with Braun staying in the AHL for one more year), but immediately jumping to Vlasic being on the block or in the doghouse is hilarious.
I completely agree and I hope you're right.

Old
08-03-2011, 03:43 PM
WedgeAntilles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
wow poor vandy haha. unless vlassic gets moved, he's the one in the pressbox.
Even if Vlasic gets moved, there's a decent chance he's in the pressbox.

Burns-Boyle-Murray-White-Demers-Braun.

Old
08-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Gilligans Island

White will wear #5

http://twitter.com/#!/benhankinson/s...39362619453441

Old
08-03-2011, 03:47 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

SanJoseSharks 12:34pm via Web "Pretty much every other time in the league I've played with somebody, but on this team I haven't." - Colin White.

PollakOnSharks 12:33pm via Web Colin White says he likes fit in SJ. And looking forward to Oct. 21 when Sharks face Devils in New Jersey, where family staying behind.

Old
08-03-2011, 03:48 PM
ramstoria

i like the signing. but it just screams follow up trade. i can definitely see vlasic or murray getting shipped out. why them? well, they both make about 3 million and they both only have 2 years left on their deals. its also probably the easiest way to get a 2nd/3rd line winger.

i would like to say though, people need to get off Brauns nuts. just take him out of the equation. he has a two way contract, he will be in the AHL this year. even if we trade a dman he would still be the 8th man on the depth chart. yes, he will fill in from time to time to rest guys or fill in for an injury. but barring that, he is not a part of this season.

Old
08-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Thorntonfan97
José Bautista-31 HR

vCash: 200
Send a message via MSN to Thorntonfan97 Send a message via Yahoo to Thorntonfan97
He is my uncle I may finally be able to see a Sharks game at the tank!!

Old
08-03-2011, 03:52 PM
WedgeAntilles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorntonfan97 View Post
He is my uncle I may finally be able to see a Sharks game at the tank!!
So, how many posters here are White's relatives? I count 3 so far...

Old
08-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Gilligans Island

This is such a sweet deal. Now we can play the Bruins smash mouth defense on the Canucks (and Hawks/Kings and Wings), too.

Old
08-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

No we don't need a winger this was an obvious sign that Burns is going back to playing forward. Duuuuuuh.

Old
08-03-2011, 03:56 PM
SacLandshark

I think it's nutty to assume that we need to shed a DMAN because we now have 8 top 6. We can afford this. It's not a problem. The 3rd & 4th lines will fill out just fine as we progress toward the trade deadline. We're lookin' GOOD!

Old
08-03-2011, 03:56 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Monster View Post
Once in a lifetime? I'd certainly make the argument that Weber isn't even the most valuable defenseman on his team, let alone anything close to a generational talent. He's a terrific player and probably a top 5 defenseman in the NHL and he's definitely worth $7.5mil to many teams but it makes little sense for the Sharks to have Weber, Burns and Boyle on the roster, especially since it will assuredly come at the cost of upgrading their currently poor depth up front.
As much I love Ryan Suter, I think people here overrate him. Even we don't agree about Weber, I think we can agree that a Weber-Burns pairing would be a generational pairing (much better than Weber-Suter), and unlike Nashville, the Sharks would still have loads of talent surrounding such a generational pairing.

Old
08-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Thorntonfan97
José Bautista-31 HR

vCash: 200
Send a message via MSN to Thorntonfan97 Send a message via Yahoo to Thorntonfan97
Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgeAntilles View Post
So, how many posters here are White's relatives? I count 3 so far...
Prob are lying

My Dad's sister is Amy White his wife

Old
08-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Arrch

Why do people assume trade? Loan Moore to a Euro team, Keep Braun in the AHL until injuries. If a Defensive D-man Is injured, Vandy steps in, maybe even dressing him if a forward goes down. If a puck move is injured, Braun is brought up and Vandy is back in the pressbox.

4 defensive d-men and 4 puck movers, one of which can be shuffled to Worcester when are top 3 are healthy.

Old
08-03-2011, 04:01 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto4Now View Post
Why do people assume trade? Loan Moore to a Euro team, Keep Braun in the AHL until injuries. If a Defensive D-man Is injured, Vandy steps in, maybe even dressing him if a forward goes down. If a puck move is injured, Braun is brought up and Vandy is back in the pressbox.

4 defensive d-men and 4 puck movers, one of which can be shuffled to Worcester when are top 3 are healthy.
Because the Sharks need a forward, likely a top-6 quality forward. They can trade a defensemen now (which they have a glut of) or they can trade futures at the deadline. Either way, i don't think anyone thinks the current bottom-6 is 'good enough' to win a cup, so at some point we are going to trade something.

I personally would rather trade something we have as a position of strength (defensemen) for a quality player that we can retain long term as opposed to trading from a weakness (futures) for a rental mid-season.

Old
08-03-2011, 04:03 PM
niel094

Realisticly vlasic should be fine. Hes a young defensman that can already play top 2 mins. If anything, i think that jim vadermeer will be used to spice up a trade that the sharks are working on. Boyle would likely get traded before vlasic due to his age.

Old
08-03-2011, 04:04 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

If we go with Burns, Boyle, Demers, Vlasic, Murray, and White we've got 6 top 4 dmen manning our blueline. I like it.

Old
08-03-2011, 04:04 PM
USF Shark
Zôion politikòn

Good move.

I don't see an additional trade following this. There's no such thing as too much depth on defense.

Closed Thread