HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Shea Weber

Old
08-03-2011, 02:26 PM
94now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Rather wait until next July and sign Suter.

People are going to be extremely disappointed in Weber once Suter isn't there to cover up his numerous defensive gaffes.
No. I've always been saying that Leetch would not be Leetch without Beukaboom. But you suggest to get Beuk instead of Brian. We do not need Suter. We have good stay-at-home Ds.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:29 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Create a deal based around Weber and Staal, and then sign Suter as a free agent.

Suter-Weber
McDonagh-Sauer
Valentenko-Erixon

Trade Girardi in a package for LW help.

I like.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:30 PM
xxxZENxxx

While it would be nice to have Weber, I find him more of a luxury than a need. We are pretty good on D for several years and the bounty it would take to get him would be ridiculous. Given our lack of scoring up front, giving up either Kreider or Thomas in a trade fro a D would be quite risky, given they are the only possible top scoring wingers in the system.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:32 PM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Create a deal based around Weber and Staal, and then sign Suter as a free agent.

Suter-Weber
McDonagh-Sauer
Valentenko-Erixon

Trade Girardi in a package for LW help.

I like.
If there was a point system where posters were awarded a point for every scenario offered that wouldn't happen in a million years... Sting would have the most points by a mile.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
No. I've always been saying that Leetch would not be Leetch without Beukaboom. But you suggest to get Beuk instead of Brian. We do not need Suter. We have good stay-at-home Ds.
Suter is more like a really good two way guy...moreso than anyone on the Rangers. Can put up around 40 points while playing #1 shutdown minutes.

Yes it'd probably serve them better to get more of an offensive type defenseman, but Suter is reallllllly freaking good and would basically make any defense in the league better.

The cost to get Weber would be astronomical and require that the Rangers send their best prospects as well as one or two of their best young forwards

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:20 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Suter is more like a really good two way guy...moreso than anyone on the Rangers. Can put up around 40 points while playing #1 shutdown minutes.

Yes it'd probably serve them better to get more of an offensive type defenseman, but Suter is reallllllly freaking good and would basically make any defense in the league better.

The cost to get Weber would be astronomical and require that the Rangers send their best prospects as well as one or two of their best young forwards
If Suter actually hits UFA, he will be paid A LOT. And I would be okay with the Rangers being the team that pays him A LOT.

He is a true #1 stud defenseman.

One would have to think almost every team in the league would at least kick the tires on him. Underrated and still considered one of the best in the league.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:28 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Offer sheet next year?

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:28 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

My friends in the Nashville boards said no.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:55 PM
mullichicken25

christ thats a high number

has to be the biggest arbitration award to date, right?

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:00 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Craig Custance Spoke with an NHL exec who said the Preds have "no choice" but to consider trading Shea Weber following arb. ruling
Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
christ thats a high number

has to be the biggest arbitration award to date, right?
Yes, it is.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Giacomin

If you can get him for a reasonable package then I would consider it but I like where the Rangers are going and would probably stay the course.

Giacomin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:04 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
CraigCustance Craig Custance

Shea Weber will now be joining the David Poile conference call, about to start in a couple minutes.
Doesn't seem to be much hostility between the two parties. I still see no reason for Nashville to even consider trading Weber until next offseason.

If they can get Suter and Rinne to re-sign long term, I think Weber will join suit and similarly sign long term. If they can't, then they still should sit back until the new CBA is worked out, because there's a chance that the RFA age will go up, and they will retain his rights for a few more years. Only then, if the RFA age remains the same, should they be moving him.

Weber is the type of unique talent that does not come around often, and you only should be prepared to lose it as a last resort.

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:09 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Doesn't seem to be much hostility between the two parties. I still see no reason for Nashville to even consider trading Weber until next offseason.
Agree completely - especially considering this signing just put the Preds over the cap floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
If they can get Suter and Rinne to re-sign long term, I think Weber will join suit and similarly sign long term. If they can't, then they still should sit back until the new CBA is worked out, because there's a chance that the RFA age will go up, and they will retain his rights for a few more years. Only then, if the RFA age remains the same, should they be moving him.
That's what I believe, as well. I think that, should Nashville retain both Rinne and Suter, Weber would be more inclined to stay long term, as those signings would show that Nasville is willing to spend money to keep their stars.

Old
08-03-2011, 04:11 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I'd hate to see Nashville become a feeder team. Hope Weber, Suter and Rinne up long term.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I'd hate to see Nashville become a feeder team. Hope Weber, Suter and Rinne up long term.
There's still hope for Rinne and Suter. Things don't look good for Weber after he and the team were 4 million apart going into arbitration.

Old
08-03-2011, 04:19 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I think Brent Burns is a good metric but Sather is adamant about not trading our core (the question is who does he consider our core outside of Dubi, Cally, Henke, and Staal?)

I think being both are RD, I could see Girardi going over. He's technically part of our "core" but I think he's more on the outer and tradeable section of that core. Especially for Weber. Staal-Weber would immediately be considered one of the top 3 top pairings in the league. I don't know what Nashville needs are. Given what Burns fetched, Girardi + Kredier/Thomas + MDZ + 1st is enough. Cap probably doesn't work.

oh look, $7.5M arbitration award. I don't know how his arbitration award could change his price. Can't say I'd be ecstatic to take on that cap hit. Staal and Girardi deals looking better and better.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:19 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
There's still hope for Rinne and Suter. Things don't look good for Weber after he and the team were 4 million apart going into arbitration.
I'm sure Poille just went in with that figure to try and get it down a lot more from Weber's 8.5. He can't possibly think he's only worth 4.5 or whatever he went in with.

Old
08-03-2011, 04:22 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I think Brent Burns is a good metric but Sather is adamant about not trading our core (the question is who does he consider our core outside of Dubi, Cally, Henke, and Staal?)

I think being both are RD, I could see Girardi going over. He's technically part of our "core" but I think he's more on the outer and tradeable section of that core. Especially for Weber. Staal-Weber would immediately be considered one of the top 3 top pairings in the league. I don't know what Nashville needs are. Given what Burns fetched, Girardi + Kredier/Thomas + MDZ + 1st is enough. Cap probably doesn't work.
I think Nasville would be interested in Stepan.

And, even though I am not in love with Weber, I would move Stepan for him without even blinking.

Stepan + Girardi is a good starting point for Weber - and, even without a 1st, that package is more valuable than Seto/Coyle/1st, IMO.

Old
08-03-2011, 04:22 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Wow, 7.5. They cannot walk away. I was thinking 6.8. Is he highest paid D?
Quote:
Yes, his cap hit is #1 for defenseman in the NHL.

His actual salary, however, is not. Pronger, Ehrhoff, Keith, and Chara all make more actual salary.
crazy. Chara WAS $7.5 last season but his new extension brings him under $7M now. can't believe he was awarded so much. Are the Preds forced into any sort of salary structure? Does the cap hit have to be $7.5M? and how many years?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:23 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

And, even though I am not in love with Weber, I would move Stepan for him without even blinking.

Stepan + Girardi is a good starting point for Weber - and, even without a 1st, that package is more valuable than Seto/Coyle/1st, IMO.
If you do that, you go right into compete NOW mode, and it'll probably take a little more than that (maybe just a 1st, though. Who knows). I'd put Kreider and some other guys on the table too to try and get a top 6 LWer.

Old
08-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:

Only problem is Weber >>>> Burns

Old
08-03-2011, 04:28 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

Quote:
@FriedgeHNIC: Weber says he's not offended by NAS $4.75 figure in arb.
The relationship between the two doesn't seem to have been affected very much so.

Quote:
crazy. Chara WAS $7.5 last season but his new extension brings him under $7M now.
Chara's salary next season is $7.6M - his cap hit is lower than Weber's, yes, but I was referring to his current salary.

Quote:
can't believe he was awarded so much. Are the Preds forced into any sort of salary structure?
I do not believe so, although his qualifying offer for the 2012-2013 season will be at least $7.5M.

So, if they want to extend him long term, they're going to have one year of at least a >/= $7.5M salary.

Quote:
Does the cap hit have to be $7.5M? and how many years?
His cap hit does not need to be $7.5M.

His 2012-2013 salary DOES, however.

There is no year limit, although this arbitration award is a 1 year contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Only problem is Weber >>>> Burns
Yes, and you also have to consider that Burns was a pending UFA, while Weber still has one year of RFA eligibility after this SPC is up.

That's why I said 'starting point'.

Last edited by JeffMangum: 08-03-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old
08-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

we probably have the deepest D corps in the NHL...we dont *need* a 7.5 million dollar Shea Weber as much as we *need* a 7.5 million dollar Parise....especially when you consider the amount of prospects that would have to head back the other way to GET a Shea Weber vs what only costs you cash in Parise.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:43 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
we probably have the deepest D corps in the NHL...we dont *need* a 7.5 million dollar Shea Weber as much as we *need* a 7.5 million dollar Parise....especially when you consider the amount of prospects that would have to head back the other way to GET a Shea Weber vs what only costs you cash in Parise.
I agree with this, too, except with the deepest D part. It's good enough that we should focus on the Parise's over the Weber's of the league, but probably not the deepest.

Old
08-03-2011, 04:47 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I agree with this, too, except with the deepest D part. It's good enough that we should focus on the Parise's over the Weber's of the league, but probably not the deepest.
well, i think we have a plethora of guys who can and will play in the NHL...other teams may have better upper end guys or what not...but not many teams can say that they likely have 7 or 8 guys who are all home grown who can all play top 6 minutes w/o a problem.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote