HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Colin White gets waived (UPDATE: Signs with San Jose)

Old
08-02-2011, 05:44 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
When the Devils went on that crazy run to sniff the playoffs, White was clearly their best d-man and Rolston was one of their best forwards.

Looks like Lou is going to go young, get another high pick before he has to forfeit one and make a big splash in free agency in 2013

Talk about the writing being on the wall for Devils fans. Kinda reminds me of the Mets in 1992.
Could well be but New Jersey is not a prime destination and if you're a player in high demand you're looking at not only the money and term of contract but what kind of foundation a team has--reasons pretty much why Richards declined to go to Calgary. All of which is to say New Jersey has a lot of rebuilding to do and at this point I'm not sure that Lou will be the one doing it.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 06:09 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
This is the crux of my argument against eminger being tagged with the veteran role. He hasn't played over 70 games in a season ever. In the last 5 seasons he has only played over 50 games 3 times. He has 5 playoff games to his his credit in his entire career.

If fans want to keep him around because he's cheap that's one thing but to make him out as a vet because he has been through the rigors of several NHL campaigns is just not the case with this guy.

A player that meets my criteria for a vet is a vet no matter if he wants to mentor other players or not. So I do agree with you Wolf on that point.
I had Eminger slotted as a throw-away spare part, heading into last season. While I can't say I was very familiar with his game, I trusted the opinions of Ducks fans on what they saw from him his prior season. That being said, I was fairly impressed with his steadiness throughout the course of the season. He did better than I had expected and filled a role out there. The reason I'm okay with bringing him back, is that Eminger knows his role, and is not going to sour on the coach or organization if he finds himself as the 7th defenseman, who only gets called in when one of the bottom pairing guys is struggling or someone sustains an injury. A guy like Eminger lets us roll the dice with our younger players in training camp (MDZ, Erixon, V-Tank) to see if they're ready to earn spots on the team, he's an insurance policy for that bottom pairing. I'm perfectly fine with that. There's not too many older/experienced guys out there, that we could have signed and been potentially utilized as a 7th defenseman without any gripes/issues on the player's part. Anyone a grade above Eminger that was signed, would have an expectation of having a permanent roster spot on the team, and probably would not have been willing to sign a 1 year short-term deal like that. Looking at our defensive depth among our young players, I'm glad that the door still remains open for more than one of them to step in and make an impact. I am glad we didn't' sign a permanent fixture for that 3rd pairing.

So while I'm hoping that 2 of MDZ, Erixon, V-Tank, round out that bottom pairing heading into the season, it's comforting to know that we have a guy like Eminger who is familiar with the team, the system, and the coach, and who's willing to step in when called upon and help the team out as best he can.

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:55 AM
Jxmarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
well...im not sure i can name 9...but heres my best attempt...in order from best to worst...

Staal
Girardi
Sauer
McDonagh
Eminger
Erixon
MDZ
Valentenko
Kundratek

that would be my guess anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Two injuries and we are in deep trouble. If Erixon isn't as good as we all hope we are in bigger trouble. Sauer and MCD or just one of them have some sophmore slumps we are really screwed. All of these things can happen.

You have Eminger as 5th on our depth chart here and I can agree with that. Two injuries he's in our top 4 and thats scary. Don't think there will be injuries? Watch last season again. The Rangers block shots like crazy, injuries happen. Depth is good.

I see your point, but injuries are always a risk. I don't think there's any better alternative.

Staal, Girardi, Sauer and McDonagh are a nice top 4. There isn't a PMD in the bunch, but each one of them is young and has shown they belong in the NHL. I would not want a declining Colin White type taking any of their minutes.

Erixon has played professionally on a high level in Sweden. The Rangers are not counting on him to break into the top 4 just yet, although he might. He's potentially a better PMD than any of our current top 4. The opportunity is there for him to be our 5th defenseman if he earns it, and it's likely that he will. It's not a definite that he's ready, but I would not want Colin White standing in his way if he is.

I think DelZotto will have to demonstrate that he's improved from last season by starting out the season with the Whale. If he's the player we hope he is, he'll do well there. If he does play well for the Whale, he should be ready for a mid-season call up.

Valentenko is 24 and had a good season for the Whale last year. He has nothing left to prove at the AHL level. If he isn't ready to make the Rangers as a 6th or 7th defenseman this year, he will never be.

And Eminger is the prototypical 7th defenseman... someone you don't mind not dressing on most nights, but who will be ready to play when needed.

Putting aside the risk of injuries for the moment, the most likely worst case scenario is that both Erixon & MDZ are not ready for NHL action. Then Eminger & V-Tank are your 5th & 6th defensemen. In that case, would another veteran besides Eminger be useful? Yes, but how much would we be willing to pay for that type of player? And would such a player be content as a 7th defenseman on most mights?

If there are injuries to any of the top 4, I would hope MDZ or Erixon can step in. I just don't see how an aging veteran like Colin While would help in that case.

If you're suggesting someone better than Colin White, where would he fit in? Who would he be bumping from the roster? And how can we afford him?

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:12 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Erixon and Valentenko should both make the team, IMO, with Eminger platooning during slumps/injuries.

Give Valentenko a chance. If he was born this side of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, he'd be a fan favorite before ever playing for the big club.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:40 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
When Callahan went down last year along with Frolov out for the season it hurt the team because of a lack of depth. I don't want to see the same thing happen on the blueline and with that group I see it happening.

I love our young D as much as anyone but you can't say that right now 1-8 they are NHL ready players. Imagine Valentenko makes the team and then is suddenly thrusted into more ice time and responsibility he isn't ready for due to injuries and a lack of other ready players? Or Del Zotto where we know his problem is confidence. This puts the team in a position of need thus having to pay more for a trade.

Better safe than sorry is my thinking. How is signing White under those circumstances a bad thing on a one year deal? 1-1.5 is what I'm hoping we can get White for.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 05:02 AM
Black Tank

Quote:
When Callahan went down last year along with Frolov out for the season it hurt the team because of a lack of depth. I don't want to see the same thing happen on the blueline and with that group I see it happening.

I love our young D as much as anyone but you can't say that right now 1-8 they are NHL ready players. Imagine Valentenko makes the team and then is suddenly thrusted into more ice time and responsibility he isn't ready for due to injuries and a lack of other ready players? Or Del Zotto where we know his problem is confidence. This puts the team in a position of need thus having to pay more for a trade.

Better safe than sorry is my thinking. How is signing White under those circumstances a bad thing on a one year deal? 1-1.5 is what I'm hoping we can get White for.
Because White sucks. He gets beat on the outside all game long, misses his neutral zone interference play and never catches up, he doesn't move the puck for **** and causes icings.

The fact that we have a young defense is NO EXCUSE for signing a bad player.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 08:43 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Give Valentenko a chance. If he was born this side of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, he'd be a fan favorite before ever playing for the big club.
Already feels like a fan favorite around here...I'm not saying he's a bad player but it feels like people want him in the lineup just because he supposedly plays a "nasty" game and for no other real reason than that.

Players gotta earn their spots, that's all. If he can't beat out Erixon or Del Zotto or whoever, then no he doesn't deserve a "chance".

Quote:
Yeah well injuries will hurt most teams. The Rangers depth isn't terrible or anything but losing important players like Callahan will hurt every single time no matter what kind of depth you have.

Quote:
That's all well and good but the Rangers literally do not have the cap space to do it, so why even advocate for it right now. Plus again, White really isnt' that good of a player anymore. I'd rather have Emminger to be honest and if I'm signing White, I'm doing it for under $1 mill for sure (he's already getting paid buyout money anyways)

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 09:05 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Already feels like a fan favorite around here...I'm not saying he's a bad player but it feels like people want him in the lineup just because he supposedly plays a "nasty" game and for no other real reason than that.
Last year I wanted him here because of his edge and his shot. As much as I love Staal, him and Girardi can be very stoic in front of the net when teams are crashing Hank. I'm not going to say they are all the time, because I felt like as the year went on and the games got more important they picked their games up in that area, but so many times during the first half of the year it just looked like they didn't want to engage anyone.

I want every defenseman we have to be like Sauer. What's that? Whistle has blown? You're standing in the crease? Face wash, GTFO.

Sauer really started to rub off on McDonagh towards the end of the year in that department as well which was great to see. Love that pairing.

With how much the PP struggled last year I thought it only made sense to bring him up and give him limited minutes and PP time to bomb his shot. I understand the reports of him not being very skilled offensively and his shot not accurate at times, but with what we were going through I thought the risk far outweighed the reward.

We'll see where he stands come training camp this year.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 09:18 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post

Players gotta earn their spots, that's all. If he can't beat out Erixon or Del Zotto or whoever, then no he doesn't deserve a "chance".

Yeah well injuries will hurt most teams. The Rangers depth isn't terrible or anything but losing important players like Callahan will hurt every single time no matter what kind of depth you have.

Valentenko would fit in on the Rangers current defense perfectly......he is a shot-blocking machine. That is why I want him on the Rangers. Positionally, he is already NHL ready.

As a plus he is more than willing to battle anywhere on the ice and makes life difficult for opposing forwards.

I was thinking last night, would it be the worst thing in the world to have Erixon go back to Sweden to get top-pairing minutes over there for (1) year?

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Sauer
MDZ-Valentenko
Eminger

I know a lot of people are high on Erixon, I am too, but the kid was drafted only (2) years ago (3 drafts ago). Would making the team at 21-22 instead of 20-21 be terrible for his development?

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 09:18 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The Rangers don't need Rich Pilon II. They have a million D under contract.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 10:37 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I am too.

But I wont do it while trying to fool myself into believing that we have 9 people ahead of him on the depth chart.

Anybody who even tries to name 9 NHL ready defenseman on the roster will be reaching to varying degrees after the top 4. And of yea, the 3/4 guys are sophomores this season
Totally agree...not a fan of Colin White but I am an advocate of having a vet presence and not anyone off the scarp heap ala White. If this team is going to go deeper in the playoffs Staal and Girardi need to play a little less and the other 2 pairs need to play more.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:54 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Rather give Vtank a shot then White, they provide the same role. Eminger played well last year, we don't need White, let the Fishsticks sign him, they need him more than we do.

vipernsx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 12:00 PM
NYR Viper

I think Montreal will sign him. Seems to fit their mold.

Gorges (health problems)
Markov (health problems)
Subban
Gill
Spacek (health problems)
Weber (pretty much a rookie)

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthlandPro View Post
The cost of Kovalchuk just keeps getting higher and higher for NJ.

Yeah, the a serviceable defenseman in Oduya and a decent prospect in Cormier does not sound like a lot. Then you add a first rounder in 2010 and it is still acceptable.

His salary is high, but ok, still tolerable. Then they got fined a first and a third round pick. Now the value is very high.

We are talking about 2 first rounders, a third rounder, a player and a prospect - and then the Devils still had to pay him a UFA salary plus a $3 million fine.

Now they have to lose Rolston and White.

So their current depth got beat up by losing 3 players, and their future got beat up by losing three picks and a prospect. And who knows if now they will be able to re-sign Parise and Zajac when they hit free agency in 2012 and 2013, respectively.

Lou tried to keep the team at the top by adding a UFA for a sacrifice in the team's future, but it looks like he will get neither a good team now nor a bright future at any point before his retirement.

Last edited by Beacon: 08-03-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Orr Nightmare

Colin White to Sharks...1 year 1 million.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:49 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Again, the only way the Kovalchuk signing hurts is if they lose Parise.

Two firsts hurts less when you get Adam Larsson with the first you do have within a 3 year span, Oduya's average, Cormier's nothing special, and a third is a third.

White and Rolston and easily replaceable pieces, Kovalchuk and Parise are not.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Again, the only way the Kovalchuk signing hurts is if they lose Parise.

Two firsts hurts less when you get Adam Larsson with the first you do have within a 3 year span, Oduya's average, Cormier's nothing special, and a third is a third.

White and Rolston and easily replaceable pieces, Kovalchuk and Parise are not.
precisely....a lot hinges on how the Devils do this year...ill say it 1 more time, i think if they are a playoff team, Parise re-signs there.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Yeah, the a serviceable defenseman in Oduya and a decent prospect in Cormier does not sound like a lot. Then you add a first rounder in 2010 and it is still acceptable.

His salary is high, but ok, still tolerable. Then they got fined a first and a third round pick. Now the value is very high.

We are talking about 2 first rounders, a third rounder, a player and a prospect - and then the Devils still had to pay him a UFA salary plus a $3 million fine.

Now they have to lose Rolston and White.

So their current depth got beat up by losing 3 players, and their future got beat up by losing three picks and a prospect. And who knows if now they will be able to re-sign Parise and Zajac when they hit free agency in 2012 and 2013, respectively.

Lou tried to keep the team at the top by adding a UFA for a sacrifice in the team's future, but it looks like he will get neither a good team now nor a bright future at any point before his retirement.

devils need new blood.. maybe from goaltending. doubtful but what has lou been thinking of having 2 over 35 year old net minders they dont have any future in net. even their backup is old. they should try for a guy like Mason or some young goalie maybe Bernier or Quick if they get dealt.. im a rangers fan and some of the moves Lou has done lately makes me think that maybe he wants to try to be like the penguins and get a few top 3 draft picks within the next few years and try 3 really talented players

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 05:58 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
This "veteran presence" is just ********. What's Colin White going to teach our young Dman? His successful experience was in pre-lockout rules where a slow footed dman could interfere and be successful.

The third pairing with a rookie and Eminger or MDZ is fine and infinitely more enjoyable to watch than an aging dinosaur get beat all shift long, ice the puck and take a holding penalty on the next shift.

The fact that he was the Devils best defenseman shows how pitiful they are, not how good Colin ****ing White is these days.
I love when people act like White isn't an NHLer. White on the third pair is far better than Eminger on the third pair. Eminger may be more practical for us, but don't sit here and act like he isn't better than Eminger and wouldn't be a better fit.

As far as a veteran presence, White's won cups, been through the wear and tear of a season. In any profession, just having a guy around that has been through the motions and understands the day to day makes the environment much more productive and successful assuming they can still perform. And to me it's just being biased towards a player that's worn the Devils jersey for so long to say he can't perform at an NHL level anymore.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Ih8theislanders

Steal for SJ.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 07:32 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
devils need new blood.. maybe from goaltending. doubtful but what has lou been thinking of having 2 over 35 year old net minders they dont have any future in net. even their backup is old. they should try for a guy like Mason or some young goalie maybe Bernier or Quick if they get dealt.. im a rangers fan and some of the moves Lou has done lately makes me think that maybe he wants to try to be like the penguins and get a few top 3 draft picks within the next few years and try 3 really talented players
You're kinda disproving your own point. Who cares how old your backup goaltender is? Why is that relevant? You usually prefer a veteran backup. They'll ride Brodeur until they can't anymore. We've known that for years. After that? They'll acquire a netminder somewhere. It's not that difficult. There's plenty of them and new ones seem to pop up all the time.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 07:45 PM
Vitto79

I did'nt see Whtie as a fit cause he's a top 6 Dman. Eminger is likely a spare, fill in for injury or slump........he's a good 7th I am cool with it.

The bottom 2 pairings are going to 2 of Erixon ,Del Zotto, Valentenko
Whoever earns the spot in camp gets them and the other goes down for now. If anyone slumps they have a solid first call up on D. Not to mention Kundratek was very good in his first full yr in the AHL. Pashin looks to be signed too.

They have depth on D so no need for another brought in. Are they young yea but I like it that way. Give them a few yrs to mature and that D core should be great

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 08:39 PM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

I told my friend the day he was bought out that the Sharks should sign him. He will be a great part of the defense. He won't have to play top minutes and will be around solid players in a great system with a good coach. White can still play, he is a good d-man.

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 01:19 AM
Jxmarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers don't need Rich Pilon II. They have a million D under contract.
It's funny... I didn't mention Rich Pilon in my post, but that's exactly what I was thinking last night.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote