HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Just Wondering about the NVMC

Old
08-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

vCash: 500
I'd be ecstatic with that move. I know it's highly unlikely, but I'd love the Whale to go to Barclay's or the NVMC.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Giacomin

I think the Whale would outdraw the Islanders. I live in Suffolk County and nobody talks about the Islanders out here.

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 04:35 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I like the idea of moving our farm team there, but I find it hard to believe it'd be easy to move a team out of Hartford. We'd have to change our agreement and move another team I would think.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 04:36 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris6net View Post
I think the Whale would outdraw the Islanders. I live in Suffolk County and nobody talks about the Islanders out here.
I live in Suffolk County and I certainly don't think that's the case. Like any place, hockey is a favorite for a select niche of diehards.

Old
08-02-2011, 04:39 PM
RangerFan10

IMO the Whale or whatever you'd call them if they were in Nassau would draw some of the best crowds in the AHL. The Coliseum would be a large AHL venue...and you can bet that a lot of Ranger fans would make their way to the games.

Then again, I guess the Marlies being in Toronto serves as proof that may NOT be the case

Old
08-02-2011, 04:49 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

hockey, imho, has very few, if any, casual fans...which isnt true of the other sports...we have lunatic die hards like ourselves, or nobody.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

I've been out of touch here in California. What does this vote signify?

I am a Rangers fan but what would we be without our rivals?

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:13 PM
Richard Brads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
IMO the Whale or whatever you'd call them if they were in Nassau would draw some of the best crowds in the AHL. The Coliseum would be a large AHL venue...and you can bet that a lot of Ranger fans would make their way to the games.

Then again, I guess the Marlies being in Toronto serves as proof that may NOT be the case
yea but the marlies play in the ACC don't they? i think that the whale would do well in NVMC because it'd be good for ranger fans who don't want to make a trip to the city to see some younger guys (and just pro hockey in general) for cheap. bringing the marlies comparison is like saying if the whale played in the garden

Richard Brads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:18 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJobs View Post
yea but the marlies play in the ACC don't they? i think that the whale would do well in NVMC because it'd be good for ranger fans who don't want to make a trip to the city to see some younger guys (and just pro hockey in general) for cheap. bringing the marlies comparison is like saying if the whale played in the garden
No they have their own venue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricoh_Coliseum

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:33 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

The Long Island Ducks.

You young guys don't know what you missed. One of the truly legendary hoickey experiences and eras. God, I loved that team and so did many of the other oldtimers who wander in and out here.

I could see that.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:38 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
The Long Island Ducks.

You young guys don't know what you missed. One of the truly legendary hoickey experiences and eras. God, I loved that team and so did many of the other oldtimers who wander in and out here.

I could see that.
hahaha oh my god!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Is...8ice_hockey%29

Quote:
The Ducks' arena in Commack was also made infamous for several events that took place during the tenure of the Ducks:

Because of the poorly-run heating inside the small arena, fans often attended games freezing. During one game, fans affected by the cold temperatures lit a bonfire in the arena, prompting Al Baron to joke, "Tonight's game is brought to you by the Smithtown Fire Department".[1]

One night the Ducks' plane was delayed and a game did not begin until 11:30 pm. The game didn't end until 2:30 am, with 2,500 fans still in attendance.[4]

Chicken wire originally separated the players from the fans above the dasher boards. It was eventually replaced with glass, which was taken from the old Madison Square Garden after it closed in 1967.[5] One night, a player jumped over the boards and punched a fan, which prompted owner Al Baron to say, "This is the only rink in organized hockey where the players stand on the ice and watch the fights in the stands."[4]

The Ducks' bus from Johnstown arrived four hours late before one game against New Haven, so they put on unwashed uniforms and began the game with a large brawl.[1]

The visitor's locker room was located just 20 feet away from the main entrance to the arena so many opposing players got into fights with the fans when entering and leaving the building.[5]

The opening face-off of one game was delayed by 20 minutes because there were no pucks, which were later found in an ice cream freezer.[4]

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:54 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Oh the stories I could tell you. Here's one...

The Ducks legendary tough guy John Brophy got in a stick fight with a former teammate who had been traded because he had allegedly moved in on Brophy's girlfriend. After they broke their sticks on each other, they had a jousting match with the stick shafts. Years later, when I worked for the Syracuse Blazers, I learned the background behind the "incident".

I remember asking my father if hockey was always this much fun.

I also broadcast one of the riot games with Commack's own Bob Costas. No kidding.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 11:47 PM
Jxmarts

The Whale isn't moving to Long Island because Howard Baldwin, the former Hartford Whalers' owner just took over control of the team last year from the Rangers. He's passionate about revitalizing hockey in Connecticut. The Rangers would have to break their agreement with him and find another franchise to move to Long Island.

But I like having the Rangers' AHL affiliate in Hartford. It's close enough that a devoted Ranger fan can drive to a game every now and then to see our prospects. However, I think an AHL team should be far away enough so that young players can develop free from the scrutiny & expectations of NHL fans. We don't need impatient Ranger fans booing a players like, say MDZ, who was sent down to work on reducing his turnovers, or a Carl Hagelin who can't find the net in his first pro season.

In general AHL fans are very supportive of struggling young players... I'm afraid NHL fans wouldn't have the same patience.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 08:48 AM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubedo View Post
Play the chicken dance and blow it up!

GOOD BYE TROLLS!!!!
GOOD RIDDANCE.

Everytime some Ranger fan feels sympathy...just remember the chicken dance, 1940 chants....yeh....crocodile tears.
Agreed. I want to see their hearts broken into pieces.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 09:01 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:

GOOD BYE TROLLS!!!!
GOOD RIDDANCE.

Everytime some Ranger fan feels sympathy...just remember the chicken dance, 1940 chants....yeh....crocodile tears.
Excellent post, and I totally agree. Don't let the flap from the circus tent that the clown organization plays in hit you in the butt on the way out.

See ya.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 09:33 AM
94now

I'd prefer Whale to move to Bridgeport. No expences with name change as it is still Connecticut.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 10:47 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:

GOOD BYE TROLLS!!!!
GOOD RIDDANCE.

and IIRC the organizations campaign against Amonte as Calder winner.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:46 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

I think keeping the team in Hartford is the best idea. There is an international airport in Hartford, Bradley INT. That means the Rangers can move their players to where ever they are around the Country if needed.

In the NorthEast hockey is as big as it can get in the Country. Having good quality hockey there is a good thing.

Let the Islanders put their farm team there or let Wang finally get his Lighthouse approved.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 12:49 PM
Profet

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
I think keeping the team in Hartford is the best idea. There is an international airport in Hartford, Bradley INT. That means the Rangers can move their players to where ever they are around the Country if needed.
As opposed to having access to JFK, LGA, ISP, and FRG... right?

Profet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Joe11

The Coliseum is too much of a dump for even a minor league team. It should be used as a bingo hall.

Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe11 View Post
The Coliseum is too much of a dump for even a minor league team. It should be used as a bingo hall.
No it isn't. It may be too much of a dump for an NHL team, but not an AHL team. They still have the best sight-lines in the league and it's not close.

08-03-2011, 03:29 PM
Giacomin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
The Long Island Ducks.

I could see that.
I remember my Father taking me to a bunch of Ducks games in the late 60,s and early 70,s. I think Brophy was gone as a player but I remember having a great time with the brawls endless. A good friend of mine always tells of his favorite Ducks game if you can call it that. During the pregame skate a fight broke out and the Suffolk County Police were called because it got so out of hand. The game ended being cancelled but my friend said it was the best time he ever had a Ducks game. For the newer fans it is unfortunate they will never experience the Old Eastern Hockey League. The minors had some talent back then due to the NHL having 6 then 12 teams. Eddie Giacomin among others played for the Ducks.

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I'd prefer Whale to move to Bridgeport. No expences with name change as it is still Connecticut.
Bridgeport is very easy to get to on MetroNorth as well. I'd probably catch more games there than if they moved to LI.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
That would be like driving a salt truck over the bodies of Islanders fans
So after moving to Brooklyn, why would Islander fans care that an AHL team got moved to Nassau?

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 09:40 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
So after moving to Brooklyn, why would Islander fans care that an AHL team got moved to Nassau?
Very good question. Anyone who thinks that an AHL team would draw well in the Isles old building need look no further than how the Hartford team draws. Hockey fans there are still mourning the loss of the Hartford Whalers and many won't go see the AHL team there (regardless of its name).

I know many people who are hardcore hockey fans who would never bother to go see an AHL team on a regular basis--with its ever changing rosters, filled by not only real prospects who are only going to be there for a few months or at most a few years, has beens and never gonna bes, it's really hard to form an attachment. And with all the entertainment possiblities the New York Metro area has, it's an even harder draw.

Hopefully, the County will figure out a way to get the Islanders to stay. Losing a professional sports team that you and your family have rooted for is lousy. Just ask any Brooklyn Dodger fan (and yes, they still exist, 50+ years later).

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote