HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW John Gaudreau - Boston College, HE (2011, 104th overall, Calgary)

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Cardiac_Canes

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Just thought this was kind of interesting, but ISS didn't pick him as the best value pick of the 4th round. That went to Gregory Hofmann.

I hadn't heard much of Gaudreau all year and now there's an article calling him the steal of the draft which is on the Flames website no less. Just a fluff piece if you ask me.

Old
07-10-2011, 09:37 PM
theIceWookie
formerly FinnishKule

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhakan View Post
I was pretty pissed when i heard about this pick, but from everything i have heard all this kid is lacking is strength. He wont be in the NHL any time soon as he still gets to go the college route.

Here is a post in the flames forum about the kid:
They do seem less opposed to size than they once were. Grabbing Byron in the Regehr trade (who Flames scouts are apparently very high on), Baertschi with 13th and Gaurdreau.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGZx09 View Post
Not sure about steal of the draft but the kid is extremely talented. Being from Dubuque I had the opportunity to watch him all season in the USHL. He was on a line with Vinny Saponari who was a 4th rounder for the now Jets and Zemgus Girgensons who has a shot at the first round next year. I can say without a doubt he was by far the most skilled player on our team. For being a small guy he does an extremely good job working behind the net for wrap arounds and passes out to the open man in the slot. He's got a decent shot but is very good at creating opportunities for himself, usually with some sick dekes. If he is able to at least reach 5'7-5'8 180ish pounds I see no reason why size will hold him back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblack View Post
Having seen Gaudreau and Pat Kane play at the same level and at the same age, their skills match up pretty closely.

If Gaudreau was born a month later, he would be in the 2012 draft, and undoubtedly be mentioned as a potential first rounder. Hes that skilled. When on the ice against Kenny Agostino, I didnt even think it was that close as far as skills, Gaudreau was better.

Hes basically a 17/18 year old in a 15 year olds body. Which makes what he does even more amazing because hes playing against guys that have grown much more then him.

He will definitely turn heads, and is a lot of fun to watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
I have also had the misfortune of play against Gaudreau. I've also played against Stefan Noesen for comparison, and while what I have to say means very little, I found Gaudreau a much, much tougher player to play against. EDIT: Obviously this was back a couple years, so they both have developed quite a bit since then!

But his quickness on his edges is just something I have never seen before. It's not so much his hands, it's how he has the ability to use his hands in conjunction with his feet with such quickness and agility.

That being said, NHL defenseman are also equally proficient at what they do, so it will be a major challenge for him to dominate at higher levels given his size.
Small guys can do a lot with speed and edge. If he is as good on his edges and as good at changing direction as people are saying, than his size could very well not matter much. Size is helpful but lack of it can be overcome. A slippery player is the worst type of player a dman can run into. He does need to gain some muscle. If he can take hits, he will be fine.

As a 6 foot 9 dman, the hardest guys to stop are the fast speedy ones that can change direction on a dime. Its hard to hit them and hard to corral them when you can't get to them. Sure he would be easy enough to move but you can't move him if you cant touch him.

Old
07-11-2011, 07:54 AM
madmike77

No way to know. He's tiny at the moment. if he grows a bit and puts on some weight and can maintain the same level of skill, then sure he could be.

I like the pick for Calgary though. It certainly goes against what they did in the past - taking big, boring, safe grinders. In the 4th round you might as well go for a high ceiling, boom or bust type pick and Gaudreau fits that bill.

Old
07-11-2011, 08:28 AM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
Wasn't St. Louis picked by the Flames?
Hah nice. I don't think he was picked by anyone though. I believe the Flames signed him as an undrafted free agent.

To their credit they did try him in the NHL. He even got some time with Fleury. For whatever reason they didn't click.

Old
07-11-2011, 08:39 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTheBrave View Post
I think closer to 180 for his frame, 160 at that height isn't really much.
I doubt his frame can support a good 180, he's the same height as Grimaldi so around 165 is probably reasonable.

Old
07-11-2011, 10:33 AM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I doubt his frame can support a good 180, he's the same height as Grimaldi so around 165 is probably reasonable.
I think the hope is that he grows another inch or two. He was about as young as you can be for the draft, so there is a chance he still has a bit of growing to do.

Old
07-11-2011, 11:18 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Well the Flames did bring in the best two undersized players in recent history so never know.

Old
07-11-2011, 04:46 PM
jeremywilhelm

Threads like these are ridiculous. Are they started so that fans can backdoor brag and have smoke blown up their ***** about their new prospects?

Old
07-11-2011, 06:52 PM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

Hahaha stuff like this makes me laugh. "Most skilled in the draft" Doubt we'll ever hear about him in the future.

I think sports writers and people in general love a Rudy type story. The little guy who can. Gerbe is short but he is bulky and solid on his skates. This kid will not make it unless he can add a bunch of weight with out losing speed.

Old
07-11-2011, 06:58 PM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
You know with modern science where it is today, there's gotta be some kind of hormone or something that they can give this kid, maybe boost him up a couple inches? It's 2011, I know there's a way.
This has to be a troll post

Old
07-11-2011, 08:03 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
Wasn't St. Louis picked by the Flames?
and Fleury...

Old
07-11-2011, 08:10 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSLOCK REBEL View Post
This has to be a troll post
obviously jokes are not in your vocabulary...

Old
08-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Pauline Hisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
Just thought this was kind of interesting, but ISS didn't pick him as the best value pick of the 4th round. That went to Gregory Hofmann.

I hadn't heard much of Gaudreau all year and now there's an article calling him the steal of the draft which is on the Flames website no less. Just a fluff piece if you ask me.
Just a fluff piece , my ass ............all this BS about this kid and nobody's seen him play . If Jay Feaster picked him , he must of saw something that he liked .
I think all you Calgary fans need to lighten up and give this kid a chance .

Old
08-03-2011, 08:48 PM
sigx15

Per @chrismpeters
Chris Peters
USHL ROY, offensive dynamo. RT @ryan_s_clark In case you missed it, sources have said it appears John Gaudreau will choose Boston College.

Old
08-03-2011, 08:55 PM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Honestly, the answer won't be aware for a long ass time, Desharnais looks like he can be the next "big" small player. Small players wont peak till almost 26, so 8 years away

Old
08-03-2011, 09:44 PM
RA9

vCash: 883
Like a lot of people said, give him another 4 or 5 years. But he sure as hell is a low risk high reward draft pick. Which IMO is great.

Old
08-03-2011, 09:47 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Wow 137?

Old
08-03-2011, 11:45 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BewareoftheBear View Post
Wow 137?
Apparently around 5' 8'' 150 now.

Old
08-04-2011, 01:08 AM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolWhipped View Post
Like a lot of people said, give him another 4 or 5 years. But he sure as hell is a low risk high reward draft pick. Which IMO is great.
How is he a low risk prospect?

Old
08-04-2011, 01:18 AM
hockeycore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
How is he a low risk prospect?
He's a fourth round pick and if he only ever gets 1 game in the NHL no one will care in the end? How is he not a low risk prospect?

Old
08-04-2011, 01:24 AM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeycore View Post
He's a fourth round pick and if he only ever gets 1 game in the NHL no one will care in the end? How is he not a low risk prospect?
He's high risk/high reward IMO. Will probably not play in the NHL but if he does its all gravy.

Old
08-04-2011, 01:24 AM
Ruslan Zainullin

I knew a kid growing up who wound up winning the Hobey Baker award at North Dakota, his names Ryan Duncan. He is in the range of 5'6" and about 140 pounds, really talented player but too small to ever get drafted. he put up huge BCHL and NCAA numbers, got invited to an NHL camp, may have played a handful of games in the AHL too but never really got a shot because he was too small. He is playing in the Austrian league now and putting up good numbers, just a shame that he didn't really get a shot at the NHL.

Old
08-04-2011, 01:33 AM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauline Hisman View Post
Just a fluff piece , my ass ............all this BS about this kid and nobody's seen him play . If Jay Feaster picked him , he must of saw something that he liked .
I think all you Calgary fans need to lighten up and give this kid a chance .
It's from the Flames' own website. It HAS to be taken with a grain of salt, it is the PR's job to make every prospect they have sound great and promising.

Old
08-04-2011, 02:32 AM
SwissButch
in CA OCT-NOV '12

Quote:
apparently 5'7'' 150 now.
Quote:
Apparently around 5' 8'' 150 now.
Wow, this kid is growing fast