HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Griffin Reinhart - Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL (2012, 4th overall, New York Islanders)

Old
08-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
How is Reinhart's positioning and overall defensive awareness?

08-03-2011, 05:28 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers View Post
Yours wasn't official! The search didn't yield any hits on Reinhart, so I figured a new one was in order!
Yeah, the search feature is super bush league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
How is Reinhart's positioning and overall defensive awareness?
Both are areas that he still needs to work on. You can tell he's still not fully comfortable with his body size and mobility. He does really benefit from his outstanding reach and seems to know how to use that very well. I think if he can continue to work hard and face better players on a consistent basis you will see his overall positioning/awareness improve drastically.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 08:31 PM
bsmith14

vCash: 500
every time I have seen Griffen play he is unreal. His size is ridiculous for a 16yo and his game great in the offensive zone as well. Ask the forwards around the dub about how they like playing against himhaha

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Rpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueGrit View Post
Such a badass name..
Agreed, I love this kids name!

Rpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueGrit View Post
Such a badass name..
I like Galchenyuk's name the best in this draft.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 10:06 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

I sincerely hope that this kid is brought along properly. The last time I saw a defenseman similar to Griffin Reinhart heading into his draft year (with the exception of maybe Jared Cowen pre-knee injury), Erik Johnson went first overall to the St Louis Blues. If not for him being maybe rushed along a little too quickly and having some unfortunate setbacks, EJ was bound for a great career.

I see alot of the same for Reinhart. This guy's the real deal, and even though he will start out the season behind at least one (maybe two or three) other WHL defenders, at the end of the day he does have the most attractive overall upside. Ryan Murray is the "safe" pick, Griffin Reinhart is the "sexy" pick. Give this guy a year or two of development in the 'dub after he's drafted, and he could very well be a franchise-type defenseman in the NHL.

EDIT: I should fix my paraphrasing ... by "like Griffin Reinhart," I mean having the size, skill, toughness, shot, and skating ability. There have been guys with some of those tangibles, but Reinhart looks to have them all.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Karlssonlee

How does he compare to Jared Cowen in his draft year?

Karlssonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlssonlee View Post
How does he compare to Jared Cowen in his draft year?
I liked Cowen's defence better. Skating and offence goes to Reinhart.

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 10:23 PM
Karlssonlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
Really?

Cowen's is a really good skater imo, is Reinhart's skating actually better at 16?
I haven't seen Reinhart play but I'll try to catch his games this season.

Karlssonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:29 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post
I sincerely hope that this kid is brought along properly. The last time I saw a defenseman similar to Griffin Reinhart heading into his draft year (with the exception of maybe Jared Cowen pre-knee injury), Erik Johnson went first overall to the St Louis Blues. If not for him being maybe rushed along a little too quickly and having some unfortunate setbacks, EJ was bound for a great career.

I see alot of the same for Reinhart. This guy's the real deal, and even though he will start out the season behind at least one (maybe two or three) other WHL defenders, at the end of the day he does have the most attractive overall upside. Ryan Murray is the "safe" pick, Griffin Reinhart is the "sexy" pick. Give this guy a year or two of development in the 'dub after he's drafted, and he could very well be a franchise-type defenseman in the NHL.

EDIT: I should fix my paraphrasing ... by "like Griffin Reinhart," I mean having the size, skill, toughness, shot, and skating ability. There have been guys with some of those tangibles, but Reinhart looks to have them all.
It will be an interesting year for Reinhart. I know I will be checking him out quite a bit this year. Hopefully he can make the jump to being a top pairing player on the Oil Kings. I think he has the tools to do so, its just a matter of him pulling it altogether and being solid in both zones. Once he is able to recognize and breakdown plays, the rest should be pretty easy for him. He has a ton of talent, just needs to be tweaked and educated on the finer points of playing defense.

I think Murray will likely be the first player gone from the Dub, but I'll venture a guess and say Reinhart will go 2nd from the Dub. 5-8, overall, is likely the range.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 12:56 AM
17Kurri

Reinhart is a serious contender for 1st overall, imo. He has all the tools (size, skill, smarts, etc), even if there are a few rough edges still.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMan View Post
It will be an interesting year for Reinhart. I know I will be checking him out quite a bit this year. Hopefully he can make the jump to being a top pairing player on the Oil Kings. I think he has the tools to do so, its just a matter of him pulling it altogether and being solid in both zones. Once he is able to recognize and breakdown plays, the rest should be pretty easy for him. He has a ton of talent, just needs to be tweaked and educated on the finer points of playing defense.

I think Murray will likely be the first player gone from the Dub, but I'll venture a guess and say Reinhart will go 2nd from the Dub. 5-8, overall, is likely the range.
That's a fair estimate on his draft range, I think. His stock may rise above Murray's, if he has a great year ... which may very well happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlssonlee View Post
Really?

Cowen's is a really good skater imo, is Reinhart's skating actually better at 16?
I haven't seen Reinhart play but I'll try to catch his games this season.
I think their skating is similar, having seen alot of both of them. Cowen was actually a very highly touted skater prior to his knee injury, and really started to show that off again this past season as the knee got stronger. Cowen's offense also gets underrated at times, one thing people have to remember is that his scouting report coming into the WHL was that he was a strong offensive player that needed defensive work - something he prided himself on improving. With Reinhart, I do think there is more offensive upside there, but on the contrary, I think his defensive game gets underrated; we have to remember that he played for a pretty weak Edmonton team this past year.

He's really a solid player all around. I don't think he'll dominate in any one area, but he certainly looks more than capable of playing nearly any role he's needed to.

Old
08-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Will be intresting to see if he can become as good as his father.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 10:30 AM
CerebralGenesis

Got a full season to go but a top ten spot should be in order as long as he can continue to play a solid steady game.

Lots of competition in the draft class and there are always late risers so its too early to say yet. Should be a fun year to track the prospects

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 10:49 AM
BacklundtoBartschi*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Sorry Vick, beaten by over a year!

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=792262

As far as my opinion...this is what I said last December:

All of that is still true to this point. Kid is a beast.
What about Ebert? I like him more then Reinhart.

BacklundtoBartschi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 11:29 AM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

Saw Reinhart play at the u18 camp and I legitimately think he can push his way into the top 3. He is so big and mobile. And anyone who saw the first red/white game saw that disgusting sauce he chucked on a two on one. Just an all around stud. Like I said yesterday on twitter: prediction- Murray get Couturier Syndrome while Reinhart, Ebert, and Dumba push him hard for the top dman spot.

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacklundtoBartschi View Post
Ebert plays in the OHL pretty sure he was talking about the WHL.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 12:11 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacklundtoBartschi View Post
I was talking about the WHL only.

Quote:

You do realize he is only 23, right?

Old
08-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Eberle
4-93-14

Send a message via MSN to Eberle
I like Reinhart a lot. I see him in the 5-8 overall range, being called by none other than Mr. Steve Tambellini.

Eberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:58 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
You do realize he is only 23, right?
I do realize that.

If he gets to that level, he will get my props. I don't see that happening at this point.

Old
08-04-2011, 05:00 PM
StrongIslanders90

Bring this kid to the Island!!!!

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 05:02 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
I do realize that.

If he gets to that level, he will get my props. I don't see that happening at this point.
I expect a big year....

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_18604715

Quote:
Erik Johnson has a message for the Washington Capitals and their fans who seemed a little too gleeful at getting the Avalanche's first-round draft pick next year as part of a recent trade for goalie Semyon Varlamov:

"It's not going to be a (high) pick. It's going to end up being a great trade for us. People are saying we got the short end of the trade and they're happy because they think we're going to finish at the bottom of the league — and we're not going to do that this year," Johnson said.
Quote:
Instead of the workouts in which, say, bench-pressing 315 pounds was a top goal, Johnson is focusing mainly on his lower body. He's squatting 500 pounds these days and concentrating on increasing fast-twitch muscle strength in his legs.

Old
08-04-2011, 05:03 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Just to confirm, the 2012 draft is heavy on D, correct?

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 05:19 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Just to confirm, the 2012 draft is heavy on D, correct?
Very much so.

Old
09-25-2011, 06:30 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Watched him for the first time this season today and to me his skating looks to have gotten worse. I also was hearing that during the World Under 18's earlier this summer.

That's a major concern for me.

I know he missed some time last year and maybe that has slowed his progress a bit, but it shouldn't have hurt his skating this much. Last year he looked big, quick, agile, strong, powerful.

This year he looks kind of clumsy.

The only thing I can think of besides injury would be the fact that maybe he grew an inch or two over the summer.