HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Official Ex-Habs Thread Part III (All Former Habs Players Discussed Here!)

View Poll Results: Which team is better?
Former Habs 34 44.16%
Current Habs 33 42.86%
It's even 4 5.19%
None 6 7.79%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2011, 11:17 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 500
The thing is that Lapierre by being a total troll incites the opposing team to crank it up physically while we have a speedy and technical team. Moreover, Lappy thinks he's Cammy, just look at the photoshop on HabzTv. He'd have the right attitude if he were top 6 (or at least his teammates and opposing players would accept it better), but as a bottom 6 guy, it doesn't work out great.

Old
08-03-2011, 11:39 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
He didn't ask for a trade. He asked for a meeting to talk about his future and that since CLEARLY Martin demonstrated to him times and times again that he was not needed, well if it was the case, then moving him would be better.
Sorry WS, but that IS asking for a trade. Martin insisted that he stayed in the bottom 6. 4th line most of the time. I see no problem with that. Lappy did though. He said that he deserved to play a bigger role. Listen I liked Lappy and what he brought to the team. Decent PK too, but the truth is that he either straight up asked for a trade or gave them an ultimatum: since Martin won't slide me up the depth chart, then maybe I'm better off somewhere else. Same thing in my eyes.

Old
08-04-2011, 12:07 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
The thing is that Lapierre by being a total troll incites the opposing team to crank it up physically while we have a speedy and technical team.
I think this is entirely right, and ought to be considered by posters who want provocative players every season. Further, it's an explanation for why players like Moen may be a bit more tame once they're in Montreal.

Old
08-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Subnordi

I miss Lapierre, he was one of my favorite players when he was with us, but he requested the trade, I was really upset when it happened, and still wish him the best.

Old
08-04-2011, 12:29 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I think this is entirely right, and ought to be considered by posters who want provocative players every season. Further, it's an explanation for why players like Moen may be a bit more tame once they're in Montreal.
You get players like Laraque and Moen to NOT BE tame and bring physicality, trolling and brawn go hand in hand. If Moen isn't doing his job (and he hasn't) it's his own fault.

And the whole agitating mentality really held back the Bruins, right?

How about Subban and Cammy and Pleks who are very reviled around the league? Moen shouldn't back them up?

Old
08-04-2011, 12:39 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
You get players like Laraque and Moen to NOT BE tame and bring physicality, trolling and brawn go hand in hand. If Moen isn't doing his job (and he hasn't) it's his own fault.

And the whole agitating mentality really held back the Bruins, right?

How about Subban and Cammy and Pleks who are very reviled around the league? Moen shouldn't back them up?
It's one thing having guys willing to respond physically, it's another thing to have a guy who will stir it up and then run away, never manning up to protect players on the top 6 since he thinks he's top 6 worthy and that guys like Moen should defend him...

Also, we have different team characteristics-strenghts than Boston. We shouldn't try to play their game, we should try to play ours.

Old
08-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Sorry WS, but that IS asking for a trade. Martin insisted that he stayed in the bottom 6. 4th line most of the time. I see no problem with that. Lappy did though. He said that he deserved to play a bigger role. Listen I liked Lappy and what he brought to the team. Decent PK too, but the truth is that he either straight up asked for a trade or gave them an ultimatum: since Martin won't slide me up the depth chart, then maybe I'm better off somewhere else. Same thing in my eyes.
No it's not. You show your coach that you care, that you want a bigger role, that the only thing you need to get your groove going is mroe icetime and some confidence on the PK (he's not going to be exactly the only guy who plays with more confidence when he gets more icetime) and if his coach reconsiders it.....Lapierre is not moving.

Asking for a trade is to actually ask for it. No matter what happens, I'm out. That's not what Lapierre had in mind. There were some possibilities to keep him in.

Thing is, do you think that it's the only time a player has gone to his coach and ask for more icetime or for a review of his role in the team? We judge Lapierre on that because he publicly said he did. But do we actually know if Price didn't go to his coach one day and ask to play more or to see what they had in mind for him based on how they were using Halak? Does it make Price asking for a trade? Or any other players in here that ended up in a tougher situation but that we don't know about? I think it's pretty common. Probably more common in teams with coaches that actually do communicate. But it has to be common in here too. And I don't believe it means that they ALL asked for a trade.

Old
08-04-2011, 10:35 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
The thing is that Lapierre by being a total troll incites the opposing team to crank it up physically while we have a speedy and technical team. Moreover, Lappy thinks he's Cammy, just look at the photoshop on HabzTv. He'd have the right attitude if he were top 6 (or at least his teammates and opposing players would accept it better), but as a bottom 6 guy, it doesn't work out great.
So what you're suggesting is to have a quiet and non-physical team? So that we put asleep every team we're playing against and then win everytime? There is one problem to this....The opponents aren't dumb and if they collectively, their coaches won't be and if both of them are....well they are bottom feeders, which we couldn,t care less about 'cause we are actually not trying to finish 12th but to battle for 1st place in the division.

Besides...what do you call Subban? Should we trade him too? Probably amongst the most hating player in this league for whatever stupid reason. A big troll for some. Isn't the guy who will fight either. And for some, that fits in the talk a lot, hides a lot category.....a troll.

Also, for whoever watches hockey in this whole NHL, maybe it's a little time to stop thinking we're just a speedy team. Technical? Yes. Thanks to Martin. And really opportunistic, a great goalie and a fine system. But all-around, this was not a speedy team on the backend. And up front, not exactly dynamos either. We're not the worst in that department, but no flying frenchman either.

As far as the attitude is concerned, I'm sorry but if players can't accept that francos might have more attention and they might have fun with it, well they don't understand the environment they're playing in. And if I'd be playing here but would love to have SOME privacy and some quality of life, I'd LOVE to have my frenchies on board so that they could take ALL the attention and let me do my own business and not be bother by the tons of journalists out there. Unless you are a player who loves the attention and is jealous of it. Pretty sure that doesn't exist.

Old
08-08-2011, 11:50 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Just Kovy being Kovy...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...medium=twitter

Quote:
"In two seasons I still couldn't understand the ideas of our coach Cory Clouston. It seemed that he scoffed at some players."
Quote:
"And the fact I am criticized… There are different journalists. My opinion of Ottawa journalists is that they don't watch hockey at all. When they fly with the team and go through the [metal detector] at an airport, their bags are filled with beer. You realize right away what these people do when they write about the NHL.
Quote:
"Let them make up nonsense about me. But I am happy with what I have done. I have played not for myself but for the team and fans. Teammates have never said a bad word about me. Fans are happy. I am approached on the street in Montreal, New York and told one thing: 'Don't take the bad to your head. We always support and love you. You're the best.'

"Words like that warm your soul."
Quote:
"I am annoyed when people write [nonsense]. Figuratively speaking, to earn half a hundred dollars they are ready to make up some garbage. But they show that they're doing their job."
He's nothing if not candid.

Old
08-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
He's a good guy. I'll never say anything bad about Kovalev the person. But as a hockey player, he was never able to accept that sometimes he was part of the problem.

Still had a very successful career despite his warts, so he was doing something right.

Old
08-08-2011, 12:14 PM

So happy he didn't end up in Montreal again like so many wanted...at least threads asking for Kovalev's return can be put to sleep, well at least for 2 years lol

Old
08-08-2011, 01:40 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

"My opinion of Ottawa journalists is that they don't watch hockey at all. When they fly with the team and go through the [metal detector] at an airport, their bags are filled with beer."

-Lol. Gotta admit that's a good one...

Old
08-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Protest the Hero

Love the way he loved Montreal, but I'm SO glad we didn't bring him back the last two seasons he spent in Ottawa, and this one especially.

Some of my best hockey memories involve that guy, the comeback goal, the Tucker hit, just to name a couple. I'm not going to dwell on his consistency anymore, we've all heard it a million times, but now that he's out of the NHL it's easier to remember the good parts.

Old
08-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

I've never hated Kovy, liked him when he was here but it was time to move on and to be honest I didn't want him to come back

Old
08-08-2011, 02:31 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
No it's not. You show your coach that you care, that you want a bigger role, that the only thing you need to get your groove going is mroe icetime and some confidence on the PK (he's not going to be exactly the only guy who plays with more confidence when he gets more icetime) and if his coach reconsiders it.....Lapierre is not moving.

Asking for a trade is to actually ask for it. No matter what happens, I'm out. That's not what Lapierre had in mind. There were some possibilities to keep him in.

Thing is, do you think that it's the only time a player has gone to his coach and ask for more icetime or for a review of his role in the team? We judge Lapierre on that because he publicly said he did. But do we actually know if Price didn't go to his coach one day and ask to play more or to see what they had in mind for him based on how they were using Halak? Does it make Price asking for a trade? Or any other players in here that ended up in a tougher situation but that we don't know about? I think it's pretty common. Probably more common in teams with coaches that actually do communicate. But it has to be common in here too. And I don't believe it means that they ALL asked for a trade.
Sorry WS. Players cannot twist a coach's arm like that.
"Play me more"
"No"
"Okay then I want out"
That's bs. Even a veteran would be criticized for doing that. Players ask for more responsibility all the time, but they don't go "I'm better off elsewhere if you don't." And he did play on the PK. 2nd wave IIRC.

Old
08-08-2011, 03:13 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Sorry WS. Players cannot twist a coach's arm like that.
"Play me more"
"No"
"Okay then I want out"
That's bs. Even a veteran would be criticized for doing that. Players ask for more responsibility all the time, but they don't go "I'm better off elsewhere if you don't." And he did play on the PK. 2nd wave IIRC.
Lapierre wanted to play more, and play center, his natural position.

Martin was not his #1 fan for sure. They took the 1st opportunity to get rid of him.

Old
08-08-2011, 03:15 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Lapierre wanted to play more, and play center, his natural position.

Martin was not his #1 fan for sure. They took the 1st opportunity to get rid of him.
Oh yeah? When were you privy to one of their conference calls?

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
08-08-2011, 03:17 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Oh yeah? When were you privy to one of their conference calls?
The golden rule of HF:

If you don't the return of a trade, it means your GM wasn't trying hard enough.

Old
08-25-2011, 01:52 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Kovalev criticizes Ottawa's media and praises Montreal's!

Quote:
Dmitry Chesnokov

Alexei Kovalev: "The Montreal media is more experienced [than Ottawa]; hockey has been there longer, people there understand hockey... If they criticize, they do it for cause. And it Ottawa they criticize regardless of how you play." via http://sports.ru

http://www.tweetdeck.com/twitter/dchesnokov/~u0IiE

Old
08-25-2011, 01:55 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
no, surprise, he always has publicly said he loves montreal, he will say anything nice about our city

Old
08-25-2011, 01:57 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

It's the 'If they criticize, they do it for cause'... No Kovy, they also have an agenda. You just were too popular to be on their radar for destruction.

Old
08-25-2011, 02:02 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Can you really blame the guy?

He was playing for friggin' Ottawa. One of the most emotive and moody players in the league, playing in one of the most emotionless and boring cities in the NHL.

Old
08-25-2011, 03:00 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
Can you really blame the guy?

He was playing for friggin' Ottawa. One of the most emotive and moody players in the league, playing in one of the most emotionless and boring cities in the NHL.
Everyone knows he only did so due to its proximity to Montreal and US east in general

He didn't get a contract with the teams he wanted so he was like "**** it, guess if they're going to give me 5m a season I'll take it "

Old
08-30-2011, 04:12 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Hamrlik is training in Brossard <3

on CKAC. He's training with our guys in Brossard.

Old
08-30-2011, 04:13 PM
Kriss E

Good Man, best of luck to him for the next two seasons.

Closed Thread