HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs and Isles

Old
08-03-2011, 11:56 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
WOW, watching the Leaf fans trying to peddle Komisarek to the Islanders has become like watching someone feed a baby spinach & lentils.
Yep, all of us leaf fans have clearly displayed determination to trade Komi to NYI.

Did you read any of this thread or just the posts by the OP and another user or two?

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 12:04 PM
daveleaf

There was a time when Komo was a legitmate top four NHL d-man. I feel he can achieve that status again and NYI may be the place he can get it done. He was relied on too heavily early on to provide a physical presence and put him out of his element. I get a kick out of guys who just come and out say this guys sucks or whatever.

Komo can be a very good nhl d-man. Question is, does Long Island have the desire to take a chance on him. I personally think he can thrive in that situation. Young team, more offensive potential than the leafs had when he got here. I see value on both sides here, it just comes down to how desperately the Isles need to make the floor. I mean Rolston? That's not exactly a player that is at the peak of his career?

He could benefit Isles more than some of their fans will want to admit.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Nikolai Coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReimerForPM View Post
To Islanders:
Mike Komesarek

To the Leafs:
A Bag of Pucks
A couple of Long Island Ice Teas for Brian Burke
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make this happen Burke... Leafs make off like bandits on this one.

Nikolai Coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:10 PM
crazybird87

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
There was a time when Komo was a legitmate top four NHL d-man. I feel he can achieve that status again and NYI may be the place he can get it done. He was relied on too heavily early on to provide a physical presence and put him out of his element. I get a kick out of guys who just come and out say this guys sucks or whatever.

Komo can be a very good nhl d-man. Question is, does Long Island have the desire to take a chance on him. I personally think he can thrive in that situation. Young team, more offensive potential than the leafs had when he got here. I see value on both sides here, it just comes down to how desperately the Isles need to make the floor. I mean Rolston? That's not exactly a player that is at the peak of his career?

He was a top 4 defenseman while playing with Markov....

NYI doesn't have that type of defenseman to give a new life to Komisarek ....

crazybird87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:14 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai Coolman View Post
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make this happen Burke... Leafs make off like bandits on this one.
Sure, giving up depth when there isn't any team cap issue is a brilliant move.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:21 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Sure, giving up depth when there isn't any team cap issue is a brilliant move.
My thoughts exactly.

Old
08-03-2011, 01:43 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:

As an Isles fan, I'm not big on Komisarek. I agree with you that a change of scenery would do him some good and he does have ability. It's the remaining length of his contract as well as the high cap hit that concerns me. Add the whole circus that is currently going on with the referendum vote not passing, I don't think Wang wants to add too much significant payroll.

As for the salary cap floor, we are currently about $2M under the floor with the signing of Blake Comeau. We have yet to sign Josh Bailey, but that will probably not get us over the floor. The promotion of one of our high end prospects such as Nino or Calvin de Haan would take care of that though. If we do trade for a top 4 defenseman, that would take care of the cap issue as well. It's no longer a concern and the Islanders do not have to do anything drastic.

The season is still some time away so we'll see what happens in the coming months.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:04 PM
Mikkel

Contracts aside, I actually think Komisarek could be a decent fit on the Islanders. Even setting aside the obvious LI-connection, the Islanders could use his playing type, and if he were to regain his form from Montreal, he would be a very good addition. Even if he doesn't, he'd add good depth to the current roster.

However, it is difficult not to consider the contract (see also below). I'm honestly not convinced the Islanders would pick him up on waivers, let alone trade a (somewhat) valuable player like Comeau for him.

Quote:
I see value on both sides here, it just comes down to how desperately the Isles need to make the floor.
First of all, the Islanders can make the floor simply by keeping either Niederreiter or De Haan in the NHL. They hardly need to make any (more) trades just for this.

Secondly, for a team trying to meet the cap floor, it makes no sense to take on players whose actual salary exceeds their cap hit. That's simply a waste of money, especially for a team that this past season used certain artificial measures (such as unmet bonuses on Doug Weight's contract) to reach the cap floor.

When Komisarek makes 3.5m with a 4.5m cap hit (2012-2013), then it might be different.

Mikkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:55 PM
Jakomyte

Wow... this post really has it all:

1) A downright awful proposal that helps the OP's team and hurts the other.
2) Admission by the OP that the proposal is awful
3) The OP justifying the proposal by being cocky and overrating his GM.
4) The OP complaining that no one will take his proposal seriously because Leafs proposals are always flamed.

I really feel bad for the average, sane, Leafs fan...

LOL

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:31 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
Wow... this post really has it all:

1) A downright awful proposal that helps the OP's team and hurts the other.
2) Admission by the OP that the proposal is awful
3) The OP justifying the proposal by being cocky and overrating his GM.
4) The OP complaining that no one will take his proposal seriously because Leafs proposals are always flamed.

I really feel bad for the average, sane, Leafs fan...

LOL
I actually lose sleep.

Old
08-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

Burke pulls this off because he is such a genius.

Who signed Komisarek?

Random Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Vinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8th Rounder View Post
Burke pulls this off because he is such a genius.

Who signed Komisarek?
He signed Beauchemin and Lebda too, they played like **** and he moved them for magic beans.

Burke will fix his mistake. In the mean time there is nothing on the free agent market that would be a significant upgrade, while cap space isn't an issue. Burke could get a better return next summer for a cheaper, shorter term Komisarek.

Vinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Rinzler

In the not too distant past Komi was a dominant player in the NHL and he's only 29 years old.

If there is a time to pick up a former all star who is still in his prime years for a bargain, it is now. This is a good opportunity to pick up a reclamation project with the only downside being that he's an overpaid serviceable d-man who helps get to the cap floor.

Komi brings a real edge to his game and I'm confident he'll continue to bounce back like he did late last season. I think he'd be a good fit on the Islanders actually.

Is Comeau the right guy going the other way? Perhaps not but it seems like a decent fit given the limited success Comeau has achieved thus far. It's quite possible the isles end up winning this deal as it's quite possible Comeau drops back to his 35ish point production next year and Komi returns to all star form.

3 years ago did you think you could obtain Komi for a 3rd liner who had just one good season?

This could be a buy low sell high type of scenario. Personally I'd rather Komi be moved for prospects and picks though. I only feel that moving Komi is a good option because of the depth the Leafs have at D right now and can afford to lose a trade given the moves Burke made earlier this offseason.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 02:22 AM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by apb03 View Post
In the not too distant past Komi was a dominant player in the NHL and he's only 29 years old.

If there is a time to pick up a former all star who is still in his prime years for a bargain, it is now. This is a good opportunity to pick up a reclamation project with the only downside being that he's an overpaid serviceable d-man who helps get to the cap floor.
in what universe was Komi ever a dominant player? Aside from his contract year playing with Markov, who covered for him brilliantly, Komisarek has been at best an average defender. whats worse is that ever since Lucic destroyed him, komi has lost whatever value he had.....at 4.5 million he has become little more than a timid pylon, and his outright insult of the Islanders franchise as a free agent only adds to our disinterest

please keep him, we have less than no interest

Last edited by Isles_Guy*: 08-04-2011 at 03:01 AM.
Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 02:57 AM
IslesNorway

Can't we just ban Leafs proposals altogether? Komisarek is worthless - don't you get it???

BTW, he snubbed the Isles to go to Toronto and Garth won't forget that. He's much too proud to trade for a player who so obviously did not want to play for his hometown team. If the Leafs offer a couple of 1st rounders to go with Komi then they'll have a couiple of takers but he'll be damn hard to move

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 03:00 AM
vezna*
Canada's Team

proposals as bad as this should be auto locked

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 03:08 AM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
proposals as bad as this should be auto locked
its just that most fans dont understand than Komi despite being an Island boy, growing up he was never an Islander fan, and he trashed our organization when we offered him a contract as a free agent. so why would Snow even consider him now?

he's lower on the respect meter than Yashin because at least Yashin didnt trash the team after the buyout. if all leaf fans knew the facts they'd know not to waste their time.... he'd be more likely to be a Ranger

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 06:40 AM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepelfrey View Post
its just that most fans dont understand than Komi despite being an Island boy, growing up he was never an Islander fan, and he trashed our organization when we offered him a contract as a free agent. so why would Snow even consider him now?

he's lower on the respect meter than Yashin because at least Yashin didnt trash the team after the buyout. if all leaf fans knew the facts they'd know not to waste their time.... he'd be more likely to be a Ranger
How did he trash your organization? If you just mean he rejected their offer, well that's business.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote