HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Bantam AA

Old
08-03-2011, 08:51 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

vCash: 500
Bantam AA

Im trying out this year for my hometown team and I have never tried out yet any advice for the try-out process and the expectation of me as a player if I make it.

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 09:02 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Go balls to the wall runnin and gunnin. Do everything at 200%

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Everyone who tries hard/has good character makes it.

Agree with everything your coach says in your 1on1 after practices and always smile.

seriously, a positive attitude goes a long way in rep minor hockey, especially with so many douchey kids running around.

Mr Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 10:17 PM
BLBarmada

Only accept criticism from those who know what they're talking about. Make sure the coaches are competent.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 10:41 PM
Rebels21

Don't mess around in tryouts. Go as hard as you can. Try to show skill without being too flashy.

Rebels21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Gervess
@Gervess

Never give up on the puck in the corner, battle for the puck as if it's your life and that you don't want to lose it. Go hard on backcheck, always move your feet. Don't be afraid to ask question if you haven't understood at 100% the drill. Keep it simple, it's not time to try things that your not shure to handle completely. And like the others had said take all the advice that the coach tell you..

Gervess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLjunior View Post
Only accept criticism from those who know what they're talking about. Make sure the coaches are competent.
...make it clear to them that they are the ones trying out to coach you?

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 03:34 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
...make it clear to them that they are the ones trying out to coach you?
Make sure that they teach skills and not tactics. And make sure they dont play favorites.

Old
08-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Bruwinz37

Show up in shape.

Bruwinz37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 10:56 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Make sure that they teach skills and not tactics. And make sure they dont play favorites.
This is important, but a kid trying out for a Bantam team would have no control over this. Hopefully his hockey association is a good one and the kids can trust that they are trying out for a good coach with competence and integrity.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Nbr-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdwe1 View Post
Im trying out this year for my hometown team and I have never tried out yet any advice for the try-out process and the expectation of me as a player if I make it.
I don't know how things work in BC, but I would call the coach introduce yourself and try to get a feel what kind of coach he is and what he's looking for.

Quote:
Team practices and to teach tactics, plays, strategies etc especially at Bantam or older.
To work on skills get some additional sessions with professional skills/skating instructors. Best would be private or semi private, but that can become costly.

Good luck.

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:09 PM
ean

My advice would be to do whatever you can to get noticed. Once you're on the team you can play whatever type of game you want.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Canadian91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
Everyone who tries hard/has good character makes it.

Agree with everything your coach says in your 1on1 after practices and always smile.

seriously, a positive attitude goes a long way in rep minor hockey, especially with so many douchey kids running around.
QFT.

It's starting to get real bad in minor hockey.... Bantam was the worst for this ****.

Canadian91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 12:21 AM
samsquanch9*

vCash: 50
I just made my bantam AA team for the first time since I started when I was 9 when most kids started at or 3 or 4. Hard work and respect. Dont screw around with the jokesters and when the coach is giving a speech try to look him in the eyes and pick up on what he likes quick and try to do it as much as possible.

I agree about how many dicks there are playing minor rep hockey now. Make sure to not back down to them when they are on a power trip in the dressing room.

samsquanch9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 12:45 AM
ESH

You gotta show that you'll be able to keep up with the speed, and that you aren't afraid of contact. You will also have a better chance if you show that you can be a leader, on and off the ice. And you need to be naturally a good size, as my friend was cut because he's not exactly the biggest player out there.

ESH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 03:23 AM
o Hamhuis 2 x

I made my Midget 16 U A team and I think one of the reasons I made it is because I'm dedicated to getting better. Another reason is that there aren't any cuts I only started last season though and I'm a 95 birth year. Anyway, just try as hard as you can and make sure you have your head up at all times. The douchey kids pick out the weakest players to hit and make them look better. Nothing better than making a guy look bad when HE tries to hit YOU. Another thing, pay very close attention to what the coach(es) are saying. That is really important because if you don't do the drill right, you might as well not try at all. If you're confused, ask questions.

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 01:29 PM
BLBarmada

I agree with what you guys have added in about the douchey kids,DONT TAKE THEIR CRAP, I shouldn't be telling you this but if you have to shut someone's mouth on the team do it early.

Old
08-07-2011, 08:56 PM
samsquanch9*

vCash: 50
Quote:
I agree with what you guys have added in about the douchey kids,DONT TAKE THEIR CRAP, I shouldn't be telling you this but if you have to shut someone's mouth on the team do it early.
Exactly this

samsquanch9* is offline   Reply With Quote