HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rucchin's Use Raises Questions

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2005, 03:34 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemurphy
I agree.
You don't think Sather will deal BOTH Straka and Rucinsky perhaps along with Malik and maybe Rozsival come the trade deadline?
The trade deadline is an unkown quantity this year, due to the salary cap. Teams like Philly and the Leafs are at or near the cap line. Who knows what's going to happen at that time.

Old
09-27-2005, 03:42 PM
Fletch

Speaking of the cap...

is it true that the Rangers are $4 million under the cap? This without an impact defenseman, and without a real third line. I saw that in the Post today and found it hard to believe.

Old
09-27-2005, 03:47 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Agreed. I could live with just signing Straka (to babysit Jagr) and trading for Rucchin, who will be a good addition to the locker room and for some the younger players. But, I did not like signing Nylander to three years last year, and saw no need for BOTH Straka and Rucinsky.
There is an overload at center though. Straka is too injury prone to pencil in as your #1 center. I like the creativity he and Nylander have but as you said one would have been dandy. Then it comes to Rucinsky or Straka to play 1st/2nd line LW. I would have taken Rucinsky for his determination both ways. Let's say as you said, Rucinsky and Rucchin...Is Rucchin going to center a line with Jagr on it? I do not think Rucchin is nearly skilled enough to center his line and even though I am a HUGE Jarkko fan, he cannot center the first line in his first season. I like the leadership Rucchin brings and the grit, but I think we have kids chomping at the bit ready...I cannot believe I just agreed with Larry Brooks...

Old
09-27-2005, 03:49 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
The trade deadline is an unkown quantity this year, due to the salary cap. Teams like Philly and the Leafs are at or near the cap line. Who knows what's going to happen at that time.

But you know you'll have injuries throughout the season opening up cap room as guys go on the IR and IMO the trade deadline will have even more importance and valuable players with no commitment past that particular season will be in even more demand as teams are limited by the cap from carrying stacked teams throughout the season but if a team is a contender and wants to make a run at it they will be looking to add a guy like Straka to give secondary scoring for the PO's or maybe a Poti to add offense from the blueline if that is what a team is lacking or maybe a Rucchin to bring in center ice size and bigtime facoff ability as well as his limted offense, guys like these will be sought after come march when teams have fully identified their shortcomings for the playoffs and this is where they'll address it for a Cup run.

Old
09-27-2005, 03:58 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemurphy
You don't think Sather will deal BOTH Straka and Rucinsky perhaps along with Malik and maybe Rozsival come the trade deadline?
If the team is floundering around 10th overall, he is not trading anyone. And even if he is, Malik is not one of those who will go. The length and amound of his contract, given his level of play, make him untradeable. Like him or not, he is here for the next three years.

Old
09-27-2005, 05:19 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
is it true that the Rangers are $4 million under the cap? This without an impact defenseman, and without a real third line. I saw that in the Post today and found it hard to believe.
I was wondering the samething Fletch...Can someone confirm this figure?

Old
09-27-2005, 06:08 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron
I agree. How many of us are really that jazzed about having Jagr. 2 games into the PRESEASON and I'm already tired of him.
Hey Shadow, I agree that Jagr most likely won't be part of the team when (or if) the youth movement kicks in and the team is better, although I do like to watch him play.

But, having said that, if you have the opportunity to get one of the top 5 players in the world for half price don't you have to take him? Even if only to then trade him for tons of value?

Old
09-27-2005, 09:30 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

I can see your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron
That's cool, Barnaby. I can certainly see your points. I guess, for me, I was just expecting a much more DRASTIC rebuild. You know, a team so young we'll be lucky to pull 25 wins out of the hat. I think it was acquiring Rucchin ALONG WITH the other vets that irked me. I was pulling for a good top 3-4 draft pick this year. A bonafide stud. What I see is Rucchin taking us away from that pick, but not getting us any closer to the playoffs. Know what I mean? A player that'll keep us in limbo. I'm sure I'm wrong, but it's just the way I see things right now.
If we come anywhere close to 25 wins with a Rucchin in the lineup you make a very valid argument that how much worst (which could yield a better result = Kessel) could we be. Honestly I would rather have what a Rucchin brings to the table then a Straka or Ruchinsky. We know why they were brought in, to keep Jagr interested and happy. But, I think you have always failed to recognize that there are other issues than strickly hockey issues that go into some of the decisions and right or wrong they exist and have a significant influence on how things have always been done here, pre and post sather (whenever that happens).

Old
09-27-2005, 09:36 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Ruccin is here for the same reason Weekes is, and that's insurance. If the kids can't step up, be able to play, and take the pounding everyday game in and game out then you'll see Rucchin get more time. Same with Weekes. Lunqvist will be the better goalie this year and forwards like Immonen, Prucha, and Lundmark(Crosses Fingers) will have more upside then Ruccin ever did. You can't throw them out there and burn them out. When they're tired you need to give them a break. They're not vets and some of them are still maturing. This organization has learned what burning out young kids can do. They lost a great goalie, in Blackburn, doing that.

Closed Thread