HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nolan and Fedoruk. Tryout contracts!

Old
08-04-2011, 02:09 PM
Proto

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booom View Post
Keep telling yourself that "moneypuck" means anything. It's garbage, doesn't even work in baseball, nevermind hockey. The driving force (Billy Beane)'s teams haven't even sniffed the playoffs in 5 years.
This is where someone with more time than me would insert a gif suggesting that a poster (you) has completely missed the point of something (moneyball). The gif would be both humorous and illustrative and would likely reference at least one -- if not several -- popular memes.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 02:20 PM
Johnny Utah

You guys need Winchester more than these guys, a 38 year old and a brindle Fedoruk. Gotta replace the losses of Hordichuk, Rypien and Glass....Bitz and Mancari ain't gonna cut it.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Bombsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booom View Post
Keep telling yourself that "moneypuck" means anything. It's garbage, doesn't even work in baseball, nevermind hockey. The driving force (Billy Beane)'s teams haven't even sniffed the playoffs in 5 years.
You're wrong. Moneypuck / Moneyball still means everything. Literally every Stanley Cup winner in the Salary Cap era (save Carolina in '06) has been one of the teams that spends their money as efficiently as possible while spending to the cap.

In baseball, it's not that Moneyball doesn't work. We're talking sabremetrics here. It's the fact that the big spenders have caught onto the the fact that it does work and are now using sabremetrics to value baseball players. Why would Boston hire a 27 year old GM with no experience in Pro Baseball if they weren't relying on Sabremetrics to value players? Oakland consistently made the playoffs in the late 90's and early 2000's with a payroll a fraction of the size of the teams they would meet in the playoffs.

Bombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Intoewsables

vCash: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
You guys need Winchester more than these guys, a 38 year old and a brindle Fedoruk. Gotta replace the losses of Hordichuk, Rypien and Glass....Bitz and Mancari ain't gonna cut it.
I believe that's called addition by subtraction.

Intoewsables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 02:32 PM
brangle

Hopefully Owen Nolan still has something left in the tank & can be a solid contributer on the wings.

Billy Beane may not have won a World Series title but the part of the "moneyball" theory about finding market efficiencies & trying to exploit them to your teams advantage is still important. The market inefficiencies change over time & it is necessary to adapt.

Once upon a time in the NHL, aging veterans were often overpaid & inefficient. Now when this type of player signs a try out contract & makes a team they often make relatively small wages. Look at Brendan Morrison last year. He provided Calgary with a very good return for a relatively small salary. Hopefully Owen Nolan is a similar success story but stays with the Canucks!

brangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Guardian452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
At the risk of having tomatoes thrown at me... The Sedins aren't the speediest Canucks and Nolan is a go to the net kind of guy.

Just sayin'...
The Sedins' speed is misleading. They don't have the top end speed that's going to beat you in a race down the ice, however their quickness is deceptive. Where they excel is in the first move that catches defenders off guard and gets them to start chasing. When that happens, the puck always finds it's way into the stick of someone with a great scoring chance.

Guardian452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 03:17 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF94 View Post
I believe that's called addition by subtraction.
LOL! Yes, the dreaded Glass, Hordichuck and Rypien line. Although I always did like Rypien.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Aquiace
The Goggles!

Fedoruk should just retire. He's barely held together with chewing gum and banding wire.

Not expecting anything from Nolan either. He'd have to accept 3rd/4th line minutes if he shows he can still play.

Aquiace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:10 PM
adamzilla

Rooting for Nolan.

adamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
What I'm starting to think is, Canucks are lacking in role players, players that are there for a particular skill they have that our best forwards don't necessarily have or its not the best use of their ice-time.

For example, the only forward we have who can stand in front of the net is Kesler and you know what, that's probably not the best use of his abilities, not to mention that he takes a lot of abuse as a result.

So if a guy like Nolan can stand in front for 5-8 minutes a game esp. on the PP, take some abuse (which by definition means less for Kes) AND pot some goals (the AND is the key - otherwise they're not role players, they're plugs), that's very valuable. The beauty of it is, the cap hit for these role players is usually low so you don't mind having 3-4 of them (ie forwards 11-14) inserted based on need.

Because if you look at the forward lineup, we have Kes, Burrows, Higgins, Raymond, Samuelsson, Hansen, Malhotra, Lappy and Sturm who play a similar game
(though at a different skill level). Which is fine by the coaching staff but maybe that lack of skill diversity is an issue in and of itself.

Edit: Of course, Nolan might be a bad example as he may already be a shadow of a shadow of his former self.

Last edited by Outside99*: 08-04-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:21 PM
ddawg1950

I can see the hype building for Nolan right throughtraining camp. And in his first pre season game he will get a break away...in from the blue line.

Only to be called on a delay of game penalty.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:26 PM
JBIZ14

Like Nolan ...hope he can make the team.

JBIZ14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:30 PM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

vCash: 327

<3

StreetSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:36 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
What I'm starting to think is, Canucks are lacking in role players, players that are there for a particular skill they have that our best forwards don't necessarily have or its not the best use of their ice-time.

For example, the only forward we have who can stand in front of the net is Kesler and you know what, that's probably not the best use of his abilities, not to mention that he takes a lot of abuse as a result.

So if a guy like Nolan can stand in front for 5-8 minutes a game esp. on the PP, take some abuse (which by definition means less for Kes) AND pot some goals (the AND is the key - that's why guys like Glass, Hordi or Debs are better described as plugs than role players), that's very valuable. The beauty of it is, the cap hit for these role players is usually low so you don't mind having 3-4 of them (ie forwards 11-14) inserted based on need.

Because if you look at the forward lineup, we have Kes, Burrows, Higgins, Raymond, Samuelsson, Hansen, Malhotra, Lappy and Sturm who play a similar game
(though at a different skill level). Which is fine by the coaching staff but maybe that lack of skill diversity is an issue in and of itself.
Great post! I think we are missing some diversity in our forwards. I'm not sure Nolan is the answer but I hope it is addressed.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:39 PM
moog35

how bad is Fedoruk's face? should he even be fighting anymore?

moog35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:43 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Nolan is difficult. He won't fit in.

Fedoruk is just a puzzling move. WTH?

Gillis must need golf buddies.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:46 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post

So if a guy like Nolan can stand in front for 5-8 minutes a game esp. on the PP, take some abuse (which by definition means less for Kes) AND pot some goals (the AND is the key - that's why guys like Glass, Hordi or Debs are better described as plugs than role players), that's very valuable. The beauty of it is, the cap hit for these role players is usually low so you don't mind having 3-4 of them (ie forwards 11-14) inserted based on need.

Really good thought, I was just thinking the same thing.

Not to mention, he is a Right Handed finisher who could possibly play with the Twins on the PP in Kesler's role in front of the net.

Thus creating a 2nd unit that has oodles of decent options: Kesler-Burrows-Hodgson.

Honestly, if Nolan still has the legs, his hunger for winning a cup will be just as important as adding a player who has won one.

Its just too bad it isnt 1999.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:56 PM
vadim sharifijanov

nolan with the sedins is not something i'd try 5-on-5. but, as others have suggested, it just might work on the PP.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 05:01 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post

Difficult in what way? Personality or playing style?

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 05:02 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
nolan with the sedins is not something i'd try 5-on-5. but, as others have suggested, it just might work on the PP.
Why?

Old
08-04-2011, 05:12 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Why?
Kesler could then beast up the second unit.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Topp Spin
STIHL 286

Not a big fan of Fedoruk, I don't see him making it. As for Nolan, it doesn't hurt to see what he can do in training camp. I'd be ok if he signed for anything under 950K, and it would be even better if it was a 2-way contract, but that's just not going to happen.

Nolan is low risk as long as his salary is at or near bare minimum.

Topp Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 05:20 PM
jammyrft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post

Hopefully it's a "posturing" move to get Winchester

jammyrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 05:39 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Kesler could then beast up the second unit.
I meant why not give him a look with the Twins 5 on 5?

Nolan should still have enough speed to be the first man in on a forecheck.

Im not saying it will work, but I see no reason not to give it a look in camp.

Old
08-04-2011, 05:48 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Nolan was almost done in Toronto I don't expect him to contribute at all in vancouver

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote