HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers can win Stanley within 3 years

Old
08-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Jersey Girl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlmost View Post
Wait, where is the "It's ESPN" post?
LOL that doesnt' apply when ESPN says something nice about us. We only question their hockey intelligence when they're being big meanies toward the Rangers!

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 03:38 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

they wont be able to do it w/o another top line player IMHO....I think the window starts next year if they can get Parise...unless they make a big move mid-season.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Kershaw

Sure, if we add Parise and Kesler than yes.

Unless Stepan or Anisimov take the next step as elite 2nd line centermen, I doubt this will happen. Not enough depth.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 03:47 PM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
LOL that doesnt' apply when ESPN says something nice about us. We only question their hockey intelligence when they're being big meanies toward the Rangers!
Of course. How quickly I forget.

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 03:50 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Parise is not the only answer here. Expect them to pursue Doan if he becomes available. He'd be a very nice addition to play LW in the top six, and I think they will pursue Suter if he's UFA.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Parise is not the only answer here. Expect them to pursue Doan if he becomes available. He'd be a very nice addition to play LW in the top six, and I think they will pursue Suter if he's UFA.
id LOVE for them to go after Doan during the season. Hed be a great fit for that top line. Hed probably cost a lot though.

Old
08-04-2011, 03:56 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
Before we got Richards, it was "all we need is Richards to bring Gaborik back to form and we're set." Now it's "all we need is an elite winger to play with Richards and Gaborik and we're set." Next it's going to be "all we need is a time machine to draft Lidstrom, bring his younger self forward in time to play with Staal on our 1st d-pair and we're set."

The Bruins didn't have a single 70-point player on their team last season (62pts was their highest).
Don't think that's true. People have been clamoring for a first line center (or something close) so that we could see the best from Gaborik. But at the same time many of us have still felt that we would also need another top 6 LW. Richards was never the one piece we needed.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Don't think that's true. People have been clamoring for a first line center (or something close) so that we could see the best from Gaborik. But at the same time many of us have still felt that we would also need another top 6 LW. Richards was never the one piece we needed.
It's fairly simple....didn't think it needed explanation.

Team w/ only Gabby on the first line = Team barely in or barely out of the playoffs.

Team w/ Gabby & Richards on first line = team should be fighting for 4th-6th place.

Team w/ Gabby, Richards & Elite first line LW a-la Paise = team should be fighting for the Presidents Trophy.

Didn't think ppl needed it broken down since it's fairly obvious.

Old
08-04-2011, 03:59 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
id LOVE for them to go after Doan during the season. Hed be a great fit for that top line. Hed probably cost a lot though.
A lot is relative. He's not an elite offensive player, he's 34 going on 35. He's a 20-25 gal, 55-65 point threat at this point in his career, with the ability to create a lot of space for his linemates. He's also in the last year of his contract, which might mean an increase in productivity. I have a hard time seeing him re-sign, as I don't expect the Yotes to remain in PHX for long.

He'll probably cost a 1st round pick and a prospect. I'd love to see a deal based around Girardi and Doan, with the Rangers then signing Suter in the off-season, but that isn't realistic.

Old
08-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
Before we got Richards, it was "all we need is Richards to bring Gaborik back to form and we're set." Now it's "all we need is an elite winger to play with Richards and Gaborik and we're set." Next it's going to be "all we need is a time machine to draft Lidstrom, bring his younger self forward in time to play with Staal on our 1st d-pair and we're set."

The Bruins didn't have a single 70-point player on their team last season (62pts was their highest).
and they are the first team in how many years to win the cup w/o a single player over 70 pts?

Blackhawks, Pens, Wings, Ducks, Canes, Lightning all don't need explanations, we know who the players are.

The 02-03 Devils were the last time that's happened...And they had a defense of Scott Stevens, and Niedermayer together to go with a VERY balanced forward roster, a system that was suffocating, and a goalie who will be in the HOF the minute he retires....it was also done pre-lockout and we know the game has changed tremendously since then.

Old
08-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
A lot is relative. He's not an elite offensive player, he's 34 going on 35. He's a 20-25 gal, 55-65 point threat at this point in his career, with the ability to create a lot of space for his linemates. He's also in the last year of his contract, which might mean an increase in productivity. I have a hard time seeing him re-sign, as I don't expect the Yotes to remain in PHX for long.

He'll probably cost a 1st round pick and a prospect. I'd love to see a deal based around Girardi and Doan, with the Rangers then signing Suter in the off-season, but that isn't realistic.
i also wouldnt want to break up that top pair either...if you go after Doan it's with the intent of winning a cup, you dont do that while breaking up your top defensive pair IMHO.

Old
08-04-2011, 04:09 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
i also wouldnt want to break up that top pair either...if you go after Doan it's with the intent of winning a cup, you dont do that while breaking up your top defensive pair IMHO.
I don't think any team with Dan Girardi as a top pair defenseman is going to be winning any cups. Like it or not, Dan Girardi is probably the one player of significance on this team most likely to be dealt away in a trade. He fills one of two positions that need to be upgraded for the Rangers to take that final step into the cream of the crop, but he's valuable enough that teams will be interested in him. We also have a couple of guys that play very similar styles to him and may end up being better versions of him.

If anyone on this team aside from the scrubs like Wolski or Christensen is going to be traded, Girardi and Boyle stand to be the likeliest.

Old
08-04-2011, 04:14 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

The only way I'd deal Girardi is if I can guarantee we get a young top 6 forward coming back that's lock up. Not for an aging Shane Doan. If we did that deal, we aren't guaranteed that we can get Suter, and if we don't we have a big hole in our defense and Doan will be gone soon due only to his age.

I am not taking a risk on trading Girardi for a rental when there isn't a suitable replacement ready to step right in for 25 minutes a night.

08-04-2011, 04:31 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Hemsky is going to be a Ranger by deadline.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:34 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Glass Line
Pack Line
Kids Line
Broadway Bullies Line

And we are set to go

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Vitto79

well its not easy to win the cup but do I think they can contend when it comes playoff time. Yep.

Henrik is the man , I give the D two years to mature so yea yr 3 I think they could be special. They needed a #1 line and Richards I believe can provide that for about 4 more really good yrs then tail off.

So the next 3 yrs I expect to go deeper in the playoffs. Could they win, heck why not. I like this group alot

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 05:05 PM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Whoever replaces EC and Avery as a 13th forward and bottom 6 forward respectively will be making at most a million less than the combined cap hits of EC and Avery. Not much savings there.

The real savings comes from Wolski and the reduction in Drury's buyout number.
Agree, but the dead weight I was thinking of was more in terms of a roster spot. Those three possibly being gone, and zucc's status up in the air opens a lot of options up. I mean honestly avery and EC add very little to this team, which is why I think things will only get better after they are gone.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 05:17 PM
DutchShamrock

I think we're eligible to compete for the cup this season

I honestly believe we are in contention right now. Not saying we're elite, but you don't have to be in the East. You can let other teams do the dirty work and upset the top seed teams, everyone is flawed and we have enough assets to improve during the season.

We may be a few pieces away, but every team has holes.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 05:30 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I think our 3-4 year window begins next year.

DEFENSE:

Too young right now and we don't have a puck mover. But in 2012-13, the rookies/sophomores will gain both regular season and (hopefully) playoff experience, and I believe Del Zotto will finally be that puck mover that we need.

FORWARDS:

The older place holders Avery, Feds and Christ will be gone, replaced by Hagelin, Kreider and probably Weise (I think Thomas will need a year in the AHL). This will mean more speed, more energy and probably a little more offense too.

At LW, you have to assume that either MZA or Wolski will develop into a quality second liner, or the Rangers will acquire someone via trade or free agency. Either way, the LW issue should get resolved by then.

Brad will be more comfortable playing for the Rangers, and guys like Anisimov, Stepan and Boyle will be outright vets by then (young vets, kind of like Dubinsky, Callahan and Girardi last season).

GOALTENDING

Lundqvist will gain experience ... playing behind a team that can actually score 3 goals a night on a consistent basis. That will be totally new to him. In all seriousness, Lundqvist will continue to be Lundqvist. For a goalie, he's still young. He has another 10 years.

Finally, I think our window will be longer than 3-4 years. I think the Rangers are a young team with a lot of talent in the NHL and the farm, so they may well be good into the 2020s. Yeah, I said it.

We will have Lundqvist in the net and the team will be good enough that nobody will want to leave, I believe they would actually give us a hometown discount to stay. Sure, we'll lose a player here and a player there, but our farm is so strong that we'll be able to replace anyone except Lundqvist (and maybe Staal) without a major shock to the team.

Last edited by Beacon: 08-04-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 05:55 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
ESPN Insider article by Mike Hume. Writes ESPN the Magazine and ESPN Insider.

Discusses the addition of Brad Richards which will only help Derek Stepan and Artem Anisimov.

Constants. Henrik Lundqvist and Marc Staal. The Rangers D will only get better with the addition of Tim Erixon and the progress of MDZ and Valentenko.

Future. Chris Kreider and Christian Thomas

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/stor...y-good-3-years
An ESPN article that actually uses stats to make a point..wow

Seriously a well written article backed up by facts, I think the actual window starts next year...a more mature D Corps lets Torts turn the offensive dogs loose.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 06:36 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
I think we're eligible to compete for the cup this season

I honestly believe we are in contention right now. Not saying we're elite, but you don't have to be in the East. You can let other teams do the dirty work and upset the top seed teams, everyone is flawed and we have enough assets to improve during the season.

We may be a few pieces away, but every team has holes.
We'll have a better idea of what this team is in January. If this team is near the top of the conference, and the opportunity arises to add the right piece, then who's to say they cannot compete for a Cup next year?

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 07:38 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

This team should be good. great? I don't know....yet

A lot depends on the health and chemistry. Everything seems pretty good.

As far as character guys and another top 6 player; remember that the Swedes Fasth and Lindberg will be coming and those should be some good 2nd/3rd liners who are fast and aggressive. Who knows, maybe Fasth can be THAT late round pick who becomes an absolute stud.

Also, guys like Yogan, MColgan, and Fogerty are total wildcards; if they become productive NHLers, who knows how much offense they can provide.

Not all of these guys will make it, and some may be traded for something established at the deadline (Hemsky as someone pointed out).

With that being said, let's see how this team shapes up in a little over a month.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 09:03 PM
3rd Guy High

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
I think our 3-4 year window begins next year.

DEFENSE:

Too young right now and we don't have a puck mover. But in 2012-13, the rookies/sophomores will gain both regular season and (hopefully) playoff experience, and I believe Del Zotto will finally be that puck mover that we need.

FORWARDS:

The older place holders Avery, Feds and Christ will be gone, replaced by Hagelin, Kreider and probably Weise (I think Thomas will need a year in the AHL). This will mean more speed, more energy and probably a little more offense too.

At LW, you have to assume that either MZA or Wolski will develop into a quality second liner, or the Rangers will acquire someone via trade or free agency. Either way, the LW issue should get resolved by then.

Brad will be more comfortable playing for the Rangers, and guys like Anisimov, Stepan and Boyle will be outright vets by then (young vets, kind of like Dubinsky, Callahan and Girardi last season).

GOALTENDING

Lundqvist will gain experience ... playing behind a team that can actually score 3 goals a night on a consistent basis. That will be totally new to him. In all seriousness, Lundqvist will continue to be Lundqvist. For a goalie, he's still young. He has another 10 years.

Finally, I think our window will be longer than 3-4 years. I think the Rangers are a young team with a lot of talent in the NHL and the farm, so they may well be good into the 2020s. Yeah, I said it.

We will have Lundqvist in the net and the team will be good enough that nobody will want to leave, I believe they would actually give us a hometown discount to stay. Sure, we'll lose a player here and a player there, but our farm is so strong that we'll be able to replace anyone except Lundqvist (and maybe Staal) without a major shock to the team.
I would agree, but you always have to take into account that people will be lost due to the salary cap and free agency.

3rd Guy High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 09:52 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
This team should be good. great? I don't know....yet

The question is: can this team add another 60+ scorer? If we get Parise or one of the prospects (Thomas, Kreider or maybe MZA or Fasth) becomes that player, then we are probably winning the Stanley Cup. If not, then we will be a nice team that will make the playoffs and will occasionally go to the second round, but we will max out with one or two third round runs, but not much more than that.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 02:09 AM
Blue Blooded

Quote:
and they are the first team in how many years to win the cup w/o a single player over 70 pts?

Blackhawks, Pens, Wings, Ducks, Canes, Lightning all don't need explanations, we know who the players are.

The 02-03 Devils were the last time that's happened...And they had a defense of Scott Stevens, and Niedermayer together to go with a VERY balanced forward roster, a system that was suffocating, and a goalie who will be in the HOF the minute he retires....it was also done pre-lockout and we know the game has changed tremendously since then.
Let's not forget that their players stepped up in the postseason:

Regular season:
Code:
		G	P	PPG	Full season
Krejci		75	62	0,83	68
Bergeron		80	57	0,71	58
Marchand	77	41	0,53	44	
Horton		80	53	0,66	54
Ryder		79	41	0,52	43
Playoffs:
Code:
		G	P	PPG	Full season