HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Easton S17 youth sizes?

Old
08-04-2011, 09:36 PM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Easton S17 youth sizes?

My son wears Easton S17 youth skates size 11 and he was recently sized at a 12. The place where I usually buy his skates has stopped carrying Easton and he likes the skates so I tried to find them on the internet, but I can't seem to get any kind of consistent sizes. The closest thing I can find is a "12D." Is a "D" normal width? His old skates don't have any lettering on them. Just an 11. I've looked at other Easton skates and I see them sized with other letters like 11R vs 11W and I've seen 12D vs 12E. Is there a 12, a 12 D and a 12E that gets progressively wider? Or is 12D the standard width?

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-h...h-s17-yth.html

Also, if I want to stay with my local hockey shop, anybody have any suggestions for a Bauer or CCM sktate that would feel similar to the S17's?

08-04-2011, 10:35 PM
AIREAYE

D is a standard width, comparable to an R. EE would be like a W.

Try Vapors.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 11:07 PM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

Thanks

PlayMakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 11:21 PM
AIREAYE

Youth skates are tough to judge because

A) Due to their size and use of different materials, the fit might be different compared to their Junior or Senior counterparts.

B) Kids will be kids, they'll say they like a skate but will start crying after a few skates. You'll just have to take the fitter's advice and use your own judgement.

Old
08-04-2011, 11:23 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
D is a standard width, comparable to an R. EE would be like a W.

Try Vapors.
Vapors are narrow. Eastons are wide. Supremes will be wider than Vapors.

CCM and Reebok youth skates both fit wider than Supremes and closer to Easton.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 11:26 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat McManus View Post
Vapors are narrow. Eastons are wide. Supremes will be wider than Vapors.

CCM and Reebok youth skates both fit wider than Supremes and closer to Easton.
Stealths have a narrower ankle and a wider forefoot while Synergys are more consistent throughout.

Old
08-05-2011, 01:33 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Yup, and Vapors have a narrow forefoot and a wider ankle. About the most dissimilar skate I could think of.

Short version: Yes, 12D is the standard width.

Long version: D is the width designation. Standard shoe sizing has widths, from narrowest to widest, of AAA, AA, A, B, C, D, E, EE, EEE. D is standard for men's shoes, and C for women's, since women's feet tend to be narrower. Some these days are using N, R and W to signify Narrow, Regular and Wide, since so few shoes are sold in widths these days that people are clueless about what those designations mean. Blame the sneaker- soft uppers and overpadded footbeds make badly fitting shoes fairly comfortable for most, meaning retailers get to save money by simplifying stock. And our feet have gotten a lot less healthy as a result of those same factors, but I digress.

Heels also come in widths- AA, A, B, BB. You can add As or Bs as appropriate, I suppose. Generally you won't be dealing with those on skates unless you're ordering custom, but thanks to complaints about how wide the standard A width heel is on reebok skates, reebok now allows retailers to order skates with AA width heels as a standard stock order rather than as a custom order (with resulting markup). So you might see a pair of those at a store labeled as 12 D/AA.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote