HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Automobile Questions

Old
06-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Looking for ideas.

With a new baby on the way in mid August, it's time for me to trade in my Viper for something more "family" oriented.

Here are some of the things that I'm looking for.

- Safety
- Comfort
- Stylish
- Mid size car, or small SUV

I've mostly driven North American vehicles over the years. Though I'm open to change.

My price range is in the 50 to 75K bracket. But I'm willing to go higher or even lower for the right fit.

If you could provide links, or even pictures of the vehicles, I'd appreciate it.

06-07-2011, 10:00 AM
LyricalLyricist

Woooo congrats big guy!

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 10:01 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Wool congrats big guy!
Haha thanks, it's about time I became a Dad. If I waited any longer, I'd be in diapers by the time my kid reached high school.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 10:58 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horton18Horton View Post
Looking for ideas.

With a new baby on the way in mid August, it's time for me to trade in my Viper for something more "family" oriented.

- Safety
- Comfort
- Stylish

I've mostly driven North American vehicles over the years. Though I'm open to change.

My price range is in the 50 to 75K bracket. But I'm willing to go higher or even lower for the right fit.

If you could provide links, or even pictures of the vehicles, I'd appreciate it.
First of all, congratulations my friend!!

Secondly .. if you are looking to spend 50-75k, I would recommend a luxury SUV ... here are my top choices in order:

1. Audi Q5
2. BMW X3

I seriously wouldn't look past these 2, but if you want to also check out the Infiniti EX and the Acura MDX Sport. If safety is one of your top priorities, no doubt the Q5 is the best in this class, you will find it gets the highest safety rating in this class in all rankings and reviews.

Here are some rankings and news:

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...-Compact-SUVs/
http://newcarenginereview.com/2011-a...vs-review.html
http://www.egmcartech.com/2011/04/12...list-for-2011/
http://www.thetorquereport.com/2011/...twin_turb.html

Notice how it is on the NADAGuides' must consider list for 2011, notice how they are building a new 309HP engine for next year's Q5, but more importantly, notice how the Porsche Cajun will actually take the Q5's new engine, THAT is how good it is.

Comparison charts from Car and Driver:

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezfl...470fab3ecc.pdf

Look at all the best in test and how it kills the other vehicles in the Styling, spacing Section and overall score.

Powertrain tests from Car and Driver:

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezfl...929cb79739.pdf

Look at the Powertrain testing .. it has the best overall acceleration while still providing best of second best gas mileage in its class in every category (City, Highway and 450miles)

Honestly, I am not an Audi guy, actually have bought Honda's all my life (Honda Accord now) but the Q5 man, it has NO competition in the $50,000 price range IMO

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 11:17 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Thanks HomaridII, and thank you for taking the time to put this info together for me. It's greatly appreciated.

Old
06-07-2011, 11:25 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Thanks HomaridII, and thank you for taking the time to put this info together for me. It's greatly appreciated.
You should list specific features you want with your car use with your budget there's an endless list of family vehicles available. As an example, do you want leather and heated seats? Awd? Do you have a specific goal in mind in terms of HP? Etc...

Old
06-07-2011, 11:35 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
You should list specific features you want with your car use with your budget there's an endless list of family vehicles available. As an example, do you want leather and heated seats? Awd? Do you have a specific goal in mind in terms of HP? Etc...
Thanks LL, this whole "family vehicle" thing is new to me. So there were a lot of things I haven't thought about yet.

After I get a chance to look through the examples that HomaridII has provided. I think I'll get a better idea on the things I might feel are necessities.

Old
06-07-2011, 11:50 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Thanks LL, this whole "family vehicle" thing is new to me. So there were a lot of things I haven't thought about yet.

After I get a chance to look through the examples that HomaridII has provided. I think I'll get a better idea on the things I might feel are necessities.
You gotta consider a lot things, mostly space, luxury and power. I mean, when i got my car I was set on having leather, heated seats and a sunroof. I cared for style and chose something I like, but it's easy to pick out a 75k car in your case, but it's very possible a car 50k has everything you wanted and the extra 25k is accessories you may never use.

It honestly depends what you use the car for. If you use it for trips, camping, and other activities that require space, then yah, I'd likely get an SUV.

BTW, girl or boy?

Old
06-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
You gotta consider a lot things, mostly space, luxury and power. I mean, when i got my car I was set on having leather, heated seats and a sunroof. I cared for style and chose something I like, but it's easy to pick out a 75k car in your case, but it's very possible a car 50k has everything you wanted and the extra 25k is accessories you may never use.

It honestly depends what you use the car for. If you use it for trips, camping, and other activities that require space, then yah, I'd likely get an SUV.

BTW, girl or boy?
I see what you're saying. In the past, I only had to do one thing when buying a vehicle, think of myself. Since this is all new to me, I have to change my way of thinking, and think more practical. So thinking about how much space I require for example, is definitely out of the norm. As before, all I needed was space for my golf clubs and a case of beer, and I was set.

We're having a little girl.

Old
06-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Looking for ideas.

- Safety
- Comfort
- Stylish

I am in the market this fall, and I am leaning towards the Toyota Highlander Hybrid. My kids are grown but I have to haul stuff to the cottage. I have owned many vehicles over the years and my best piece of advice to anyone is buy in the Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus line.

Your budget is a wide range, you can go up to the Lexus and Acura lines. I was looking at the Lexus 450H but the Highlander Hybrid seems better "value" to me.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 10:14 PM
zzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
First of all, congratulations my friend!!

Secondly .. if you are looking to spend 50-75k, I would recommend a luxury SUV ... here are my top choices in order:

1. Audi Q5
2. BMW X3
Holy smoke ! Those are exactly the 2 cars that I'm now seriously considering.
I like the Q5 a bit more, but I've heard that Audi is not renowned for reliability. What do you think ?

I eliminate those because of the price: Mercedes ML-350, Infiniti FX35, Porsche Cayenne.
I eliminate those because of the look/design: Acura MDX, Volvo, american SUV.

I like the Lexus RX350 too, but my wife doesn't.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 10:52 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Holy smoke ! Those are exactly the 2 cars that I'm now seriously considering.
I like the Q5 a bit more, but I've heard that Audi is not renowned for reliability. What do you think ?

I eliminate those because of the price: Mercedes ML-350, Infiniti FX35, Porsche Cayenne.
I eliminate those because of the look/design: Acura MDX, Volvo, american SUV.

I like the Lexus RX350 too, but my wife doesn't.
Hey man, glad we agree on the car choices, lol.

The 2011 models of both score the same ratings on the US News reliability ratings (6.0 out of 10), however, historically BMW has built more reliable cars than Audi, so if you go and look at the historic reliability ratings of both cars, BMW wins out ... if you go and look at other BMW and Audi models, BMW wins out in terms of reliability.

In addition, BMW gives you a more comprehensive warranty than Audi and if I am not mistaken BMW also gives you free maintenance for 4 years I believe (ask what is covered under the free maintenance, I believe even some parts are covered). I also believe if you go online and research the maintenance cost per mile of past BMW X3s vs Audi Q5s you will find BMW is cheaper in terms if maintenance.

In addition 2, if you buy a BMW, you can always subscribe to the awesome BMW Car Magazine, which has a monthly issue .. I don't think Audi has one.

In addition 3, if you buy a BMW you can go to Munich and take a tour of the factory, trust me I've done it and it is very much worth it

http://www.bmw-welt.com/web_rb/bmw-w.../overview.html

Old
06-08-2011, 07:58 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Thanks a lot you guys, you've given me a lot to think about over the next month.

Old
06-08-2011, 09:19 AM
Habs

Quote:
Looking for ideas.

- Safety
- Comfort
- Stylish

I love our 4runner, but for your price range you could get a nice Mercedes or the Lexus suv.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 09:42 AM
GoHomez

Quote:
Thanks a lot you guys, you've given me a lot to think about over the next month.
Coming from a Viper, an SUV will feel like your driving a shopping cart. Unless you really need the extra ride height I'd look into a BMW 3-series estate, the Audi A4 Avant or the MB C-class estate. Those cars will give you the feeling that your steering wheel is in some way actually connected to the wheels on the ground. Spacious enough for a small family and somewhat fun to drive.

If you wanna go European, I have zero knowledge when it comes to the US makers and I dont think the japanese makers have the same models in NA as in Europe.

No, I am not sold on SUV:s in general.
They are alright for moving people around, bur for driving, nope.

And congratulations on the kid!

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 03:04 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Hi Guys,

Hoping some of you can give me some advice, I'm looking to buy my first car, looking for a SVC/Crossover type care, but used, my budget is about 10-15K. I was looking around some sites and some dealerships, and I found two cares that interested me.

First was a 2004 Ford Expolorer, it was from a dealership and it is going for 10K, the price is perfect but I'm guessing those cars take gas like crazy, another thing is since its a 2004 model, by 2-3 years do you think the car is going to start to break down?

The second car that I really like and an thinking I should buy is the Mazda CX 7, I was looking at Models from 2007 on, and they are a bit more expensive 15-20K, I'm think this should be better since its newer and probably will have less problems and less gas.

I really don't know much about cars, so any advice would be great,

thanks,

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 03:14 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Hi Guys,

Hoping some of you can give me some advice, I'm looking to buy my first car, looking for a SVC/Crossover type care, but used, my budget is about 10-15K. I was looking around some sites and some dealerships, and I found two cares that interested me.

First was a 2004 Ford Expolorer, it was from a dealership and it is going for 10K, the price is perfect but I'm guessing those cars take gas like crazy, another thing is since its a 2004 model, by 2-3 years do you think the car is going to start to break down?

The second car that I really like and an thinking I should buy is the Mazda CX 7, I was looking at Models from 2007 on, and they are a bit more expensive 15-20K, I'm think this should be better since its newer and probably will have less problems and less gas.

I really don't know much about cars, so any advice would be great,

thanks,
Wouldn't get any Ford Models before 2005 or so .. that is when they hired a new CEO if I am not mistaken and started redesigning their cars ..

CX-7 in this case is better IMO ...

Old
07-05-2011, 01:26 PM
LyricalLyricist

Habs10Habs & Whitesnake, what cars did you guys end up going with?

Old
07-05-2011, 08:30 PM
BadHabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Too bad the BMW X6M isn't in your price range.... hehehe. Now that's an SUV with an ATTITUDE!

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:27 PM
picodon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post
Coming from a Viper, an SUV will feel like your driving a shopping cart. Unless you really need the extra ride height I'd look into a BMW 3-series estate, the Audi A4 Avant or the MB C-class estate. Those cars will give you the feeling that your steering wheel is in some way actually connected to the wheels on the ground. Spacious enough for a small family and somewhat fun to drive.
I very much agree !

picodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:55 PM
ROEN
HabsHQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Haha thanks, it's about time I became a Dad. If I waited any longer, I'd be in diapers by the time my kid reached high school.
I know you've been looking at german small SUVs as a solution to your SUV conundrum.

My suggestion tho goes in a different direction.

The Toyota Highlander, especially the Sports model, it comes under your budget by allot and gives you a fantastic platform coupled to the fantastic Toyota / Lexus 2GR-FE engine, the same engine Lotus chose for the Evora.

The dependability and reliability of the Highlander is spectacular, the fuel efficiency is out of this world, especially the Hybrid model.

You'll love the fact oil changes aren't over 400$, resale value is insane and you've got seating for 7 standard that flattens down leaving you with a fantastic trunk

I can bring the car over to you if you want a closer look ! perks of working for Toyota !

Cheers and merry car hunting

ROEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Habs10Habs & Whitesnake, what cars did you guys end up going with?
After all this freakin long search.....I decided to go with something I never thought I would. Was always thinking to be a Toyota/Honda type of customer, always said that I would not trust an American car so I decided to buy.....a Ford Edge. Just the best combo possible between indoor space, trunk, performance, confortable and all....Didn't took all the options, as a matter of fact, I don't want leather so I was good enough with the SEL version, but took the SYNC despite the good and sometimes the bad reports I've read and heard.

I bought it yesterday, I'll pick it up Thursday.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 01:51 PM
juve

I found found 2000 BMW 3 Series 323Ci, with 146 000km for 10K. Is it worth it?

juve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 11:02 PM
Sthabs

it s not an awesome deal but you re not getting ripped off either,just normal, but when looking at those cars I think the most important thing is looking at what has been done on it, what needs to be done , the way it was maintained etc cause garage bills for those cars are not cheap, sensor this, module that etc , that s what will make the difference between a good deal and a bad one.

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:18 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by juve View Post
I found found 2000 BMW 3 Series 323Ci, with 146 000km for 10K. Is it worth it?
Not really.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote