HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nolan and Fedoruk. Tryout contracts!

Old
08-05-2011, 12:50 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Nolan will be hungry and motivated to get back to the NHL, I wouldn't bet against him. The 4th line wings are wide open and nobody fighting for those spots has the experience or skillset Nolan possesses. If it comes down to the vet or Oreskovich I think Nolan comes away with a contract. He might not be able to sustain a high level of play over the long haul but during a tryout or come playoff time I think Nolan will elevate his play. Was pretty surprised he didn't get a contract last year.

Fedoruk should have had to try out to get the try out. Hopefully he doesn't injure any of our players in training camp - can't ask for much more than that.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Sweatt take a serious run at a roster spot. He should be physically ready and plays a type of game that would fit in well - you can't have enough fast, aggressive forechecking, puckhounds.
Are you sure?

3,4 Kesler Burrows
5,6 Hansen, Raymond
7,8 Higgins, Lappy
9,10 Malhotra, Samuelsson (ok, doesn't quite fit the bill)
11,12 Sturm, Sweatt

Not a lot of role diversity in that lineup.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:57 AM
Eddie Vedder

Frankly, if Bill Sweatt cant out play Todd Fedoruk for a roster spot, then nothing will get him on the team. Owen Nolan has some intangible factors like salary, experience, etc working for him, but sweatt has full chance to out play and work him to get game time. They are both AV type players.

Also, i mentioned this in the other thread, I cannot see fedoruk making the team. We have too many kids like the aforementioned sweatt, as well as other summer signings hungry to get into the bigs. Fedoruk has lost what legs he had, and his fighting is more dangerous to his health now than anything. I respect him for trying to get back on the ice and he will be a good experienced guy who was respected in the league to have competing with our youngsters, but there is a 0% chance he gets anything more than a minor league deal come october.

Last edited by Eddie Vedder: 08-05-2011 at 02:11 AM. Reason: mistaken
Eddie Vedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 02:07 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Vedder View Post
Norton Sports is that unprofessional ******* who called out avery for supporting gay marriage in NY State. Its no suprise he would throw his ignorance around in other ways as well. Namely, he stated that we signed nolan and fedoruk, when in reality its a PTO and they are there to challange and push for a role in camp like bill sweatt.
Wrong agency... It was Uptown Sports, and more specifically Todd Reynolds. Don't want people to mix them up because that is a really humiliating situation to link Norton to.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 02:07 AM
Aquiace
The Goggles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Kesler could then beast up the second unit.
Kesler on the 1st unit is what made it so potent. Maybe Nolan from 10 years ago would be a good fit on the 1st unit PP, but I think it's reaching to expect him to do the same now.

I could be wrong and maybe that's exactly the situation he can contribute, but we won't know unless he successfully bid for a contract. And in that regard he has some good competition.

Aquiace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 02:12 AM
Eddie Vedder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Wrong agency... It was Uptown Sports, and more specifically Todd Reynolds. Don't want people to mix them up because that is a really humiliating situation to link Norton to.
thanks. I got them mixed up and have edited my post to reflect my mistake. nobody should be mixed in with that unnecessarily.

Eddie Vedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:34 AM
David71

i would welcome owen nolan on the canucks. vancouver doesnt have enough "vets" maybe except sammuelsson whose turning 36. owen brings "veteran leadership/motivation to win a cup. picks vancouver as his choice. it isnt like mats sundin situation where he didnt play hockey for months. played in swiss league last year. 4th line 8-10mins of ice. maybe powerplay time? since vancouver's 2nd unit is out with injuries.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 04:04 AM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

thoughts on both players:
  • fedoruk: i would be absolutely shocked if he made the team...i really like the guy personally and was a big fan of his in his philadelphia/anaheim glory days, but he was absolutely useless when he signed his 2-year deal with phoenix a few years ago and continued to be useless when he got traded to tampa bay...unlike alot of other players like sturm who might've benefited from some time off the ice, i don't see how he becomes a better player by missing an entire season, and it's asking alot of him to be able to skate with one of the fastest clubs in the nhl
  • nolan: another guy that i was a big fan of back in his san jose glory days, and it's good to see that gillis signed him to a tryout contract rather than a 1-year deal like he awarded to sturm...i'm still highly skeptical that he can play any important minutes with the canucks, but he could be the peter schaefer of 2011-12, ie: have a pretty good camp but flame out at the quarter/midway point of the season

these are 2 quality people that i wish the best for but it's really hard to see either of them making the team after the amount of nhl time they've been away...i hope they have decent enough camps that they can pull a brendan morrison and earn a roster spot on minnesota, calgary, edmonton, or other bottom-feeders in the division or around the league

Jack Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 05:26 AM
Bougieman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickassguy View Post
Bill Sweatt's agent loves these signings.

NortonSports:
This is the kind of thing you say to Mike Gillis in a personal phone call, not something you tweet in a public forum. This guy is clearly not helping his client out whatsoever.

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 06:05 AM
tututooter21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
I can see the hype building for Nolan right throughtraining camp. And in his first pre season game he will get a break away...in from the blue line.

Only to be called on a delay of game penalty.
I think I see what ya did there

tututooter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 11:03 AM
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba

People read too much into PTOs. Preseason games require a certain amount of veteran players to participate in them. This could be a way of providing a few more vets so that the returning vets don't have to suit up for as many games. If one of the guys shows enough to earn a contract great, if not well no harm no foul.

putridgasbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 11:13 AM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by putridgasbag View Post
People read too much into PTOs. Preseason games require a certain amount of veteran players to participate in them. This could be a way of providing a few more vets so that the returning vets don't have to suit up for as many games. If one of the guys shows enough to earn a contract great, if not well no harm no foul.
True and we're also down at least two vets in Kesler and Raymond for those games.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 05:47 PM
mr gib

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Fedoruk has no chance but Nolan will be an intriguing story for training camp if nothing else.

someone's gonna get a beating in camp tho - great move gillis !

mr gib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Corb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr gib View Post
someone's gonna get a beating in camp tho - great move gillis !
Well, oreo has 18 fights still to go before the season starts in order to hit is '20 fights' quota.

Corb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 09:02 AM
NYVanfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post
thoughts on both players:
  • fedoruk: i would be absolutely shocked if he made the team...i really like the guy personally and was a big fan of his in his philadelphia/anaheim glory days, but he was absolutely useless when he signed his 2-year deal with phoenix a few years ago and continued to be useless when he got traded to tampa bay...unlike alot of other players like sturm who might've benefited from some time off the ice, i don't see how he becomes a better player by missing an entire season, and it's asking alot of him to be able to skate with one of the fastest clubs in the nhl
  • nolan: another guy that i was a big fan of back in his san jose glory days, and it's good to see that gillis signed him to a tryout contract rather than a 1-year deal like he awarded to sturm...i'm still highly skeptical that he can play any important minutes with the canucks, but he could be the peter schaefer of 2011-12, ie: have a pretty good camp but flame out at the quarter/midway point of the season

these are 2 quality people that i wish the best for but it's really hard to see either of them making the team after the amount of nhl time they've been away...i hope they have decent enough camps that they can pull a brendan morrison and earn a roster spot on minnesota, calgary, edmonton, or other bottom-feeders in the division or around the league
yeah, i agree
would love to think that the canucks brass sees somehting in these guys (renewed conditioning) that we don't, but i would be pretty shocked if either made the team. Would Nolan want to play 7 mins on our 4th line anyway? I wonder

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 11:54 AM
LongRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
Would Nolan want to play 7 mins on our 4th line anyway? I wonder
# of Stanley Cups in Owen Nolan's Career = 0.

I reckon he would suck up 4th line minutes for a shot at one.

LongRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 01:39 PM
finn

I've always like Nolan as a player. IF he could get 15 goals, 30 points (his last NHL season) and some rugged policing of the wings, he would be a very welcome addition. He's put up respectable numbers on pretty lousy teams since he was traded from the Sharks.

Additionally, though he didn't fight alot in his career, but he didn't slap fight with cream puffs. He fights heavys, can throw with both hands and he wins more than he losses.

Only questions are: can he still keep up and has he lost his shot?

finn

finn is offline   Reply With Quote