HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Ville Marie tunnel - Concrete structure collapses

Old
08-05-2011, 12:24 AM
buddahsmoka1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
And Desjardins, despite not being a bank, is bigger than National Bank.
Yup. One of the largest credit unions in North America.

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 12:24 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Going forward is a misleading term as the primary function of governments is to maintain a status-quo.

Not everyone puts their trust in government, you are highly naive if you believe this, with all due respect. I don't believe in countries, religions, creeds or race. If you were aware of the real solutions, and the real possibility of their existence, and relate that to how governments manage their 'state', you would find that your 'moving forward' is a turtle step compared to what could be actually accomplished.

BTW, I hope you understand that if ever the US keeps declining, Canada will inevitably follow (and it will happen). You don't see it, because we are a mere compartment of the consequences of their own system, and if managed well, those consequences can be temporarily avoided, but in the end, a majority of our exports go to the US, and it's only a question of time before those consequences hit home. The value of our dollar is tightly related to the USD, and even though we do have growth, because the CND went up not only vs the USD but also the Euro, it is a phase which will soon end. You can bet all your horses that the day the US economy goes into default of payment, we will have our own 'continental' union, and we'll have relinquished our sovereignty in the name of 'progress'. A good segment of people will find this appaling until they get their ears drummed over on how it is necessary and it will become accepted with time.
Then we are naive, because 65% us us believe in Canada & 35% don't(I only care about the Montreal region, so I use those figures approx). Like I said I'm from the Airport, so I know where my bread & butter is. Each their own, there's nothing wrong with countries. We put our trust in government, because we aren't a 3rd world country, but sometimes you think twice in Quebec.

Last edited by Player 61: 08-05-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 12:27 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Yup. One of the largest credit unions in North America.
Credit Union isn't a bank, but almost. The USA has some large ones in the Mid-West.

Old
08-05-2011, 12:33 AM
buddahsmoka1

I stand corrected, Desjardins isn't that large at all. That is what you get for citing Wikipedia. Not even top 15 in Canada.

Old
08-05-2011, 12:42 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
I stand corrected, Desjardins isn't that large at all. That is what you get for citing Wikipedia. Not even top 15 in Canada.
Correction, 'this is what you get from not looking at the references at the bottom of the page', because wiki is like any other body of knowledge, you have to check the references...

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 12:48 AM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
Correction, 'this is what you get from not looking at the references at the bottom of the page', because wiki is like any other body of knowledge, you have to check the references...
It was unreferenced.

Even worse. I should edit that.

Old
08-05-2011, 12:48 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
If you wanna go local Q banks today then you have the National & the Laurentian(Used to be called the City & District) in Montreal's hay day.

Bank of Montreal is a Toronto Bank(Now), well we don't need to re-hash those details. But I have seen plans of 1st Canadian place to be built in Montreal, before it actually was built in Toronto. 75 Stories of wealth, gone.

You know what that BMO Tower is at the corner of Bay and King Streets in Toronto? history.
& history reminds people not to repeat the same mistakes, twice.

Last edited by Player 61: 08-05-2011 at 12:54 AM.
Old
08-05-2011, 01:12 AM
MontrealHabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
Health care, education, social programs.

Pfff if only.

A year or two ago, Quebec students across the province went to Ottawa to protest and get more budget from Harper for student loans.

Harper - ended up accepting the request and sent the money to Quebec's Government (Jean Charest).

From what teachers reported, not even 20 % of that financial concession made it to the students.

For that little cash increase coming from Harper, what did Jean Charest do ? Raise the education fees.

It's ****ing scary what the Liberals do with the huge amount of money they get. It's like a black hole.

Just like a little while ago, some Spanish company applied for the Montreal Metro bandwagon contract. They were willing to do the job for the same quality as Bombardier - with less money (tax payer money).

What did the Liberals do ? Gave the contract to Bombardier.

It's okay though, just one more year of Jean Charest. Then who knows, maybe things will change ? Hopefully we have a new bridge before Champlain falls. I take that bridge everyday and it scares me silly. I've been tempted to just sell my car and buy a metro pass.

MontrealHabitant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:18 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
http://www.radio-canada.ca/nouvelles...s-Banker.shtml

?

Wait, can you read french? It says Desjardins, in '08, was the 6th biggest financial institution in Canada, 18th in NA. :/

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:40 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealHabitant View Post
Pfff if only.

A year or two ago, Quebec students across the province went to Ottawa to protest and get more budget from Harper for student loans.

Harper - ended up accepting the request and sent the money to Quebec's Government (Jean Charest).

From what teachers reported, not even 20 % of that financial concession made it to the students.

For that little cash increase coming from Harper, what did Jean Charest do ? Raise the education fees.

It's ****ing scary what the Liberals do with the huge amount of money they get. It's like a black hole.

Just like a little while ago, some Spanish company applied for the Montreal Metro bandwagon contract. They were willing to do the job for the same quality as Bombardier - with less money (tax payer money).

What did the Liberals do ? Gave the contract to Bombardier.

It's okay though, just one more year of Jean Charest. Then who knows, maybe things will change ? Hopefully we have a new bridge before Champlain falls. I take that bridge everyday and it scares me silly. I've been tempted to just sell my car and buy a metro pass.
Charest is not an exception, he's from the same mold as most of them.

You should read about how the Harper government sold the CANDU for peanuts to SNC Lavalin (15 mil), when not only has SNC Lavalin been suspected of collusion in several cases, but that the CANDU research costs taxpayers billions of $.

In essence, it's one more case of 'taxpayers pay the expenses and companies reap the profits'. Just like Quebecor was trying to do with the new Quebec arena.

Old
08-05-2011, 01:52 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
Then we are naive, because 65% us us believe in Canada & 35% don't(I only care about the Montreal region, so I use those figures approx). Like I said I'm from the Airport, so I know where my bread & butter is. Each their own, there's nothing wrong with countries. We put our trust in government, because we aren't a 3rd world country, but sometimes you think twice in Quebec.
believing in the country is one thing, trusting the politicians that runs the said country is another.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:59 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Charest is not an exception, he's from the same mold as most of them.

You should read about how the Harper government sold the CANDU for peanuts to SNC Lavalin (15 mil), when not only has SNC Lavalin been suspected of collusion in several cases, but that the CANDU research costs taxpayers billions of $.

In essence, it's one more case of 'taxpayers pay the expenses and companies reap the profits'. Just like Quebecor was trying to do with the new Quebec arena.
the difference between him and his predecessors is that he's taking in to a whole new level, it's now every single one of them (politicians) and in every field/market they can access.

It's no surprise though as the ones in power now are the sons (or nefews, friends of family, etc) and grand-sons of those who were in power long ago, the web is bigger, that is all.

Old
08-05-2011, 02:00 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
believing in the country is one thing, trusting the politicians that runs the said country is another.
Trust me We never think twice on the FED side, but are very scared of repeating history of Government from the Q side(Terrified in-fact). We will never survive more separation debate in the modern world. We've all be done that, and have had enough with that... Nuff-Said!

I'm done with this, Crap, The Habs are probably the only thing we care about as a City from either culture. Funny, they're called the Canadiens...

Old
08-05-2011, 02:04 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
Trust me We never think twice on the FED side, but are very scared of repeating history of Government from the Q side. We will never survive more separation debate in the modern world. We'll all be done and have had enough with that...
No surprise there, and I'm not blaming you for this as you're working for the govt directly or indirectly, and use the money to pay the rent/mortage, car, food, raise the kids, etc.

it's the same for those who live in Gatineau/Hull and cross the river every day to go work to/for Ottawa...

Old
08-05-2011, 02:16 AM
Player 61
#Winning

The real issue is that my family could be killed by falling concrete or yours. There's no language to that, were all Quebecois/Canadians & safety is first!

Old
08-05-2011, 04:17 AM
FF de Mars

vCash: 50
It's not because Charest is increasing University fees that it means it has become expensive. Québec has low tuition fees.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 08:33 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:

Who cares about world terms, none of them, I repeat, none of them, have any significant footing outside of Canada.
just a few examples off the top of my ass -

~~ Market Cap:

Citi bank = 100 Billion

Bank of America = 90 Billion

RBC = 75 Billion

TD = 68 Billion

All of these banks are global.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 08:35 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
It's not because Charest is increasing University fees that it means it has become expensive. Québec has low tuition fees.
This. I laugh when students protest when the cost is 1500$ per semester now. Big whoop.

Go to any other province and it is twice that. Go to the US and it is 10 times that.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 09:28 AM
HF-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
This. I laugh when students protest when the cost is 1500$ per semester now. Big whoop.

Go to any other province and it is twice that. Go to the US and it is 10 times that.
Maybe, but salaries are lower here and We are more taxed. I wonder if the roi is not better in let's say ontario even though tuition fees are twice those of here. Which makes me ask, how much more debt( not quite the word im looking for... ) can you throw at the next generation

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 09:59 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF-Addict View Post
Maybe, but salaries are lower here and We are more taxed. I wonder if the roi is not better in let's say ontario even though tuition fees are twice those of here. Which makes me ask, how much more debt( not quite the word im looking for... ) can you throw at the next generation
We are more taxed but not much more than the other provinces. They have twice more for school and we don't pay twice the taxes. Not even close.

Old
08-05-2011, 10:12 AM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
We are more taxed but not much more than the other provinces. They have twice more for school and we don't pay twice the taxes. Not even close.
not to mention cost of living is lower here than lets say Toronto or Vancouver. Hell 2 bedroom appts in Regina go for 900$/month.

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 10:21 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
not to mention cost of living is lower here than lets say Toronto or Vancouver. Hell 2 bedroom appts in Regina go for 900$/month.
lol.

Here a nice 2 bedroom apt in a safe spot is 700$/month.

If only we can fix our roads.

Old
08-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

The JDM last week said that Quebec was one of the provinces that paid less overall on average for motor traveling, and Calgary was the worst, with an average of 9000+$ per motorist per year.

Old
08-05-2011, 10:59 AM
PKtrollban
PK for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sthabs View Post
I m already reading some mentions of raising the gas taxes, paying bridges etc, to finance the road repairs, I don't know about you guys but I d like to know what they do with the money they ve been getting until now before paying even more.
This ^^

I'm sick and tired of seeing approximately 50% of my income DIRECTLY sent in the pockets of the gvt, then have to pay 35% more taxes for the gas + 15% normal taxes on everything else (TPS + TVQ), and hearing all those politicians claiming they need MOAR MONEY and moar TAXES for FUXX sakes.

I'm fortunate enough to have a good income, can afford a house and 2 cars, paying all the bills and taking care of my 2 kids etc, but WTF they do with my money ? Corruption everywhere and roads collapsing, orange cones everywhere without any workers in sight, they FCKING even close highways at night and I friggin get stuck in traffic jams after 22:00 when I get back home from beer league hockey (makes me want to stay at the strippers all night to avoid traffic lawl)...

That situation is pathetic, makes me want to move my family south the boarder or in Alberta, I would probably be able to find a much more paying job there anyways, it's just that I love Quebec and I have mostly french roots (my grand-mother is Irish), and that my GF dosen't speak a single word of english.

What's even more terrible is that there is no alternative as far as politics are concerned. You vote for either a center left or a center center left, and both are populists and want to please everyone to gain voters, and won't make the changes necesary to pull Quebec out of the mud.

PKtrollban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halakalakaboom View Post
This ^^

I'm sick and tired of seeing approximately 50% of my income DIRECTLY sent in the pockets of the gvt, then have to pay 35% more taxes for the gas + 15% normal taxes on everything else (TPS + TVQ), and hearing all those politicians claiming they need MOAR MONEY and moar TAXES for FUXX sakes.

I'm fortunate enough to have a good income, can afford a house and 2 cars, paying all the bills and taking care of my 2 kids etc, but WTF they do with my money ? Corruption everywhere and roads collapsing, orange cones everywhere without any workers in sight, they FCKING even close highways at night and I friggin get stuck in traffic jams after 22:00 when I get back home from beer league hockey (makes me want to stay at the strippers all night to avoid traffic lawl)...

That situation is pathetic, makes me want to move my family south the boarder or in Alberta, I would probably be able to find a much more paying job there anyways, it's just that I love Quebec and I have mostly french roots (my grand-mother is Irish), and that my GF dosen't speak a single word of english.

What's even more terrible is that there is no alternative as far as politics are concerned. You vote for either a center left or a center center left, and both are populists and want to please everyone to gain voters, and won't make the changes necesary to pull Quebec out of the mud.
The city closed down part of my street three months ago with some ciment blocks. There hasn't been any work done yet. I know this because I know the owner of the corner store and she called the city to know what the heff was going on, and they said they had repairs to do....