HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What do you guys think about the Sabres?

Old
08-05-2011, 06:22 AM
SabresFan44

vCash: 500
What do you guys think about the Sabres?

As a Sabres fan just wondering if you Habs fans think it's going to be a Habs-Bruins division rivalry this year as I don't believe that at all.

Ultimately I see the Bruins suffering a MINOR hangover with us winning the division, the Habs coming in 3rd but througout the year I see it being a 3 team race. The Leafs may sneak there head in from time and time again but not very often.

SabresFan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 06:40 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Maybe it's too early for me and I havent finished my double double.... but I dont understand this thread haha

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 07:21 AM
PATCHESx67

Habs Bruins will always be a huge rivalry.Both teams hate eachother,the fans hate eachother even the city's hate eachother

PATCHESx67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 07:34 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

I think you underestimate our team. The only reason we didn't get home ice advantage last year was because of key injuries on defense and offense.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 07:37 AM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

I think what the guy means is that his Buffalo Sabres will be in the mix for the division title, with the Bruins finishing second and us getting third. It will be an interesting season for sure, but I'm not sure the Sabres will finish above the Habs.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 07:55 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

IMO The Habs improved more than Buffalo in the off-season.

Markov and Gorges back is worth more than getting Ehrhoff and Regher.

Also, Cole > Leino AINEC IMO.

I see MTL-BOS-BUF battling for the division all year but one of them will fall out to 7th 8th while the other 2 will battle for 1st-3rd.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 08:03 AM
neofury*

On paper the Sabres are definitely a scary team. But to be honest I think Boston Montreal and Buffalo are all scary teams with a top 9, good players that play two-ways and fairly good/above average D. Then when you factor in that the three teams have three of the best goaltenders in the NHL and Boston even has Rask as a backup.. wow this is going to be one hell of a season.

Also all three teams have veteran coaches who know their stuff. Jacques Martin probably being the one getting the least credit around these parts.

My favorite of the three is definitely Lindy and as far as I can remember the Sabres have always been a darkhorse team against us that used to steal games against us. I still remember as a kid the Sabres winning a game 4-3 against us where the goal happened with like 0.05 sec left on the clock! (Back then they had that black and white box with the time on it and it was at 0.1 turning to 0.0 when the puck crossed over)

I love this division because it makes for some exciting hockey. The leafs always pick up their game when playing us too and Ottawa until recently was solid as well.

So we basically have 3 teams with elite goaltending and solid coaching with a top 9 (not 6). Then we have 1 rebuilding team and 1 team looking to make the push for 8th place this year.

I've always liked the Sabres because I find in a lot of ways we're similar teams.

On paper I think Sabres are better but I just think because we have such a "team" team that plays by a committee of offense, we may be the better team in the end in the points category. Personally I think all three teams have a huge chance to be 1st or 3rd in the division.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 08:04 AM
Patccmoi

It will be a 3 teams race, but while I do believe that Montreal is more solid than Buffalo (with Markov back), the reality of it is that the 3 teams are so close that the deciding factor will very likely be who was the most healthy throughout the year, not who has the better team if everyone is there.

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 08:11 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFan44 View Post
As a Sabres fan just wondering if you Habs fans think it's going to be a Habs-Bruins division rivalry this year as I don't believe that at all.

Ultimately I see the Bruins suffering a MINOR hangover with us winning the division, the Habs coming in 3rd but througout the year I see it being a 3 team race. The Leafs may sneak there head in from time and time again but not very often.
The Sabres, Bruins and Habs are all going to be close in the standings...I also think the B's will suffer a hangover from their Cup win...As for the Sabres, the only thing I dislike about the team, is Lindy Ruff...major crybaby...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 08:45 AM
theboss*

Overrated small and soft up front. I think they will finish second in the division but the fans act like they are going to finish first and go deep in the playoffs.

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 09:00 AM
neofury*

All I know is that way back in the day I used to post on hockeybuzz before a kind poster there messaged me about HF

Anyways I remember back the year Drury and Briere didn't re-sign their fans were saying Connolly was going to be better than both of them and that they'd still be #1 in the conference that year. I said that they wouldn't even make the playoffs and a ton of Sabres fans raged hard. (It was one of those "post your standings" threads)

Anyways never went back with the bowl of crow to tell them that Connolly clearly didn't replace Drury and Briere

I realized quite quickly the lowest common denominator posts there. The fans here seem a lot smarter than that.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Depth up front is lacking, defense is scary good and your goaltender... well, you have Ryan Miller. Probably good for second or third in the division.

Old
08-05-2011, 09:03 AM
le_sean

It will be interesting to see if Miller improves with the big spending on defence. One thing is for sure, the Sabres are always an afterthought yet Ruff finds a way to keep them competitive. So I'm anxious to see how he deals with the new talent. This is definitely the best group of defencemen he's ever had as a coach.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 09:17 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

I think the Sabres have a really good team, I'm not sold of Leino at centre.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Tusk

Sabres pretty much own the Habs lately and are the last team I'd want them to meet in the playoffs. I know, here come the stats, but always a hard victory for the Habs.

Tusk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 09:56 AM
katatoniak

Love the games against the Sabres .... Fast,good and clean hockey (for the most part)

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 09:57 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by katatoniak View Post
Love the games against the Sabres .... Fast,good and clean hockey (for the most part)
I hate them..they keep injuring our players..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
The Sabres are like that fat chick from high school who thinks everybody hates her, but in fact, no one actually think about her. They just cross her path every now and then during the school year, give her a good shove and move along.
While we're the hot ***** that every1 hates but secretly envies at the same time.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 08-05-2011 at 12:28 PM. Reason: merged posts
MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 10:00 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

I think during the regular season the division crown will be between the Sabres and Bruins. Habs simply are a more flawed team, and over the regular season we'll probably just be competing for a playoff spot. That said, I think we have another playoff run in us if we are able to get there...

hogtownhabsfan* is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 10:01 AM
katatoniak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBarker View Post
I hate them..they keep injuring our players..
What ? Who ?

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

Quote:
What ? Who ?
Wasnt a night vs Buffalo where we lost Cammalleri and Gorges the same game?

Vanek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Leino as a centre will probably suck.
Hecht is fairly inconsistent.
Boyes is the same as Hecht.

Will Stafford reach 30 goals again ?

A lot of criticism on Montréal is for being too small. Mean while, Buffalo rocks 5'5 Gerbe, 5'6 Ennis and 5'9 Roy.

On the flip side of that, the smaller players are all skilled and Gerbe doesn't take **** from anyone. Roy is a skilled player. Boyes is capable of 20 goals. Leino is good. Stafford should at least hit 20.

Then you got Vanek who's a premiere sniper in the game. Pominville, another skilled player to help round out a solid top 9.

I imagine Gaustad McCormick and Kaleta as the 4th line ? Energy, physicality, defensively aware and a pest. Great 4th line.

Defense looks promising and with a Miller/Enroth dual Buffalo should be set to be one of the better teams in the East.

Injury, lack of chemistry, or even players who got new contracts aren't working as hard could affect the team.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 10:12 AM
Fozz

Buffalo is a much better team and it will be a 3 team race for the division. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they won it.

Decent talent and depth up front; very solid defense and great goaltending. They could take the conference, as far as I'm concerned.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 10:12 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
Sabres pretty much own the Habs lately and are the last team I'd want them to meet in the playoffs. I know, here come the stats, but always a hard victory for the Habs.
Yeah because going 50/50 most of the seasons... they own us..

At least chose your words better, because as hard it is for us to win against them, we do win half the time, and they also have a hard time beating us and win about half the time.

This is like the myth that kept being thrown around by the media that the Panthers was one of our black beasts, even when the season before we were 2-1-1, and in the season they kept repeating that, and then the Habs won something like 5-1 or 4-0.

Tight series = own us...

I just don't get that.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Leino as a centre will probably suck.
Great analysis there...

No but seriously, what do you base this on? Leino was a center before moving to the NHL and I think his skill set makes him better suited to play center than wing. I predict he'll be top-30 in scoring this year.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 10:19 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
What ? Who ?
Cammalleri for one.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote