HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Del Zotto learning to fight

Old
08-05-2011, 11:02 AM
HenrikO'doyle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
I think he is just doing it to quickly pick up the basics of this particular skill in case he needs it. Kind of like your dad teaching you how to set up a tent and start a fire - he doesn't want you to live in the woods, he just wants you to not stand there crying if you ever need to do it (in the modern world, these skills are obsolete because who would think to leave the house to go somewhere without the playstation?)

MDZ is likely just having fun spending a few minutes after practice having one of the tough guys teach him. I doubt it comes at the expense of other skills. In fact, I bet this shows a commitment to an all-around game, that he recognizes that hockey isn't just about offense.

I also remember people mocking Dubinsky when he first started learning how to fight.
How dare you bring some common sense into this thread!

HenrikO'doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 11:06 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

MDZ fighting. Can't wait to see this.

Attachment 47185

Last edited by BroadwayBlues: 11-02-2011 at 09:55 AM.
BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 11:11 AM
John Torturella

So we want Gaborik to drop the gloves. That has worked out well in the past.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

vCash: 50
Not bad for him to learn, especially because he plays a physical game. I hope he can just become an all around player, great offense, solid defense, and able to protect himself when the time comes. Remember when he destroyed Kovalchuk for ****ing with Lundqvist? I am excited to see that type of play from him this upcoming season

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:08 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
Not bad for him to learn, especially because he plays a physical game. I hope he can just become an all around player, great offense, solid defense, and able to protect himself when the time comes. Remember when he destroyed Kovalchuk for ****ing with Lundqvist? I am excited to see that type of play from him this upcoming season
That's the key. MDZ plays a physical game and from time to time he's going to have to defend himself. Learning to do that will allow him to remain physical and earn respect as well. Nothing wrong with it.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Block More Shots

Learning to fight doesn't necessarily mean he's going to drop the gloves all the times. It may have an effect on his overall physical play on the defensive end. IMO, feeling like he has that sort of confidence to drop the gloves would help him.

People are blowing this way out of proportion. I'm glad to hear he's working on a part of his game. I have no doubts that he's been working on his defense since he started struggling.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
That's the key. MDZ plays a physical game and from time to time he's going to have to defend himself. Learning to do that will allow him to remain physical and earn respect as well. Nothing wrong with it.
exactly, he likes to get his hands dirty sometimes. I think every player should learn to fight just incase the situation calls for such action just so they can be protected

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:27 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I'm curious, how does one exactly learn to play defense? especially in non-game situations? He would actually need to drill with other players for it to mean something.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:30 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I'm curious, how does one exactly learn to play defense? especially in non-game situations? He would actually need to drill with other players for it to mean something.
I guess people expect him to play against ghosts or something. IDK. You can only study so much film. There's no reason why anyone should get upset if he's doing something other than "working on defense."

If you want to say he should be working on his shot or something, have at it. Although who knows how he's allocating his time in the offseason.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Levitate

Well, he probably has been workign with other players. Studying tape can help too

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 02:26 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

If memory serves me right, Artem Anisimov tried to learn to fight as well a few years ago....ppl are blowing this way out of proportion.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 780
I definitely don't mind him learning how to fight. But learing how to play defense is his main priority. If he can keep up with learning how to do both at the same time, I'm all for it.

NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
http://www.snyrangersblog.com/2011/0...ning-to-fight/

I love it...the whole team should learn to fight....stick up for each other....id love it if the rangers stars like Gaborik and Richards would fight a little..they are the rangers leaders and should stick up for each other on the ice.
This is exactly what I don't want to see is Richards and Gaborik fighting, as JD used to say plumbers plumb...so Rotter takes a one line tweet and it's a story? He could be taking boxing lessons for conditioning, strength or agility.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 02:38 PM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Exactly. It's not the worst thing to know how to whoop somebody's a**

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Miller Time NYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
http://www.snyrangersblog.com/2011/0...ning-to-fight/

I love it...the whole team should learn to fight....stick up for each other....id love it if the rangers stars like Gaborik and Richards would fight a little..they are the rangers leaders and should stick up for each other on the ice.
your kidding right? U want your star players dropping the gloves? When gaborik breaks a hand because he doesn't know what he's doing, is out for two months and never returns to his normal self shooting wise I think you'd he singing a different tune. There's a reason guys like prust, rupp etc are enforcers because they beat up their hands to punish not score goals, visa versa for the games elites.

Btw how about learning to quarterback a powerplay rather than taking up fighting as a hobby DZ?

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 02:50 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
If memory serves me right, Artem Anisimov tried to learn to fight as well a few years ago....ppl are blowing this way out of proportion.
he asked someone (I forget who) to teach him, and that person said no as it was a stupid idea.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 02:55 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
he asked someone (I forget who) to teach him, and that person said no as it was a stupid idea.
Huge Speciman. Hughy said not to worry about it and work on his game.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

again the point is, he wanted to learn how to do it. i dont blame him, sometimes ppl are just going to drop the gloves with you and you want to be able to defend yourself.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:07 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Is he practicing with Semin?

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Yeah, look at the Stanley cup finals when sedin let himself get sucker punched by a non-fighter much smaller then him. You don't want your players to be on the receiving end of that kind of situation.

It's not a bad thing to learn to defend yourself if need be.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:15 PM
Ail
Girardi Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
i guess prust and rupp are learning how to qb the powerplay.

I'm not going to berate him for it, but I hope he can do what he is supposed to long before he can fight.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:32 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Would rather him learn Muay Thai. The clinch would be great to use in hockey.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:44 PM
OverTheCap

Don't really see a problem with this. I love how Sauer is never afraid to drop the gloves and it would be great if the other defensemen followed suit. Everyone *****es about Lundqvist being run and how our D isn't tough so if MDZ has the willingness to learn to fight that is A-OK with me.

I wish Staal and Girardi had the desire to take fighting lessons. They could learn how to defend themselves (and their teammates) a bit better.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 04:48 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post

If MDZ can become a "two-way" player (i fully expect his offense to always be better, but at least adequate D) with grit, that just makes our d-corp so much better.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Machinehead
Siez and toffnuss!

Maybe he should learn how to score first

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote