HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Avery arrested (UPDATE: Charges Dropped)

Closed Thread

Old
08-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prustqvist24 View Post
Scrapping?

That's exactly what we're talking about. He shoved one police officer, one time. That's not a scrap. And it's probably because one his guests was doing something Avery didn't want the officers to see, so he slammed the door, told people to get it together and re-opened.
Yep, that makes it OK, right?

If thats the case though I'd love to be in the room when he explains to the heads of NYR that the reason he was arrested for shoving a police officer was that he needed to buy time so that his guests could get their dope out of the way.

Old
08-05-2011, 11:34 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
in case you didnt know it a scrap in hockey lingo means the gloves are dropped and punches are thrown. if it was an argument, you should have said argument. but you didnt because your over reacting.
I'm not and this didn't happen at a hockey game.

I think I have a better idea of what I meant by "scrapping" than you do, considering I had the thought and typed the sentence. I would've used "brawling" if I were referring to a knock down drag out fight - couple this with the fact that I've read the various news accounts and twitter feeds and am fully aware of it being an argument and a shove. I wrote "scrapping" deliberately.

Regardless, I've had enough of Avery and his BS coupled with the fact that he had a terribly ineffective year last year = he's expendable. With or without this incident. It's time to go back to the AHL.

Old
08-05-2011, 11:34 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Oh, please. "QUARREL" or fight. And that's exactly how I meant it and how I interpret "scrapping". I said the right thing. If someone said me and the wife were scrapping last night, would you interpret that as a knock down drag out fight or a nasty argument? The reports indicated that he was taunting police and acting like a punk, like usual.

I like Avery, but he's worn out his welcome as far as I'm concerned, no matter how much you over-analyze one word in my statement.
Nobody I know would ever say they were scrapping with their wife because, regardless of dictionary definitions, scrapping almost always implies physically fighting. I would say that I scrapped with my brother back in the day, if we got into a small, wrestling match and maybe threw a couple of swings. If someone told me they scrapped with their wife, my reaction would literally always be "What? You were like... physically fighting with your wife?". I don't know why you'd even be so insistent as to go look up the dictionary definition and post it in defense of your statement. You know full well that calling it a scrap was the exact kind of over exaggeration we were talking about. It was a single shove and completely trivial and insignificant. You only know about it because the pinnacle of reporting that is TMZ carried this hot, juicy story.

Old
08-05-2011, 11:35 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

I think this is an argument between kids 18-25 who still do this stuff themselves, and people like me, 32, who are over it, and have matured.

It's called growing up.... and he hasn't done it.

Old
08-05-2011, 11:36 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Nobody I know would ever say they were scrapping with their wife because, regardless of dictionary definitions, scrapping almost always implies physically fighting. I would say that I scrapped with my brother back in the day, if we got into a small, wrestling match and maybe threw a couple of swings. If someone told me they scrapped with their wife, my reaction would literally always be "What? You were like... physically fighting with your wife?". I don't know why you'd even be so insistent as to go look up the dictionary definition and post it in defense of your statement. You know full well that calling it a scrap was the exact kind of over exaggeration we were talking about. It was a single shove and completely trivial and insignificant. You only know about it because the pinnacle of reporting that is TMZ carried this hot, juicy story.
See above, again. I think I have a better idea of what I meant than you do. I don't know why this word is such an issue for you Avery apologists. The guy is an idiot.

Old
08-05-2011, 11:36 AM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post

If thats the case though I'd love to be in the room when he explains to the heads of NYR that the reason he was arrested for shoving a police officer was that he needed to buy time so that his guests could get their dope out of the way.
Yeah, I'm sure executives who own and or run a professional sports team would be absolutely appalled to hear that professional athletes know people who do drugs or might even :gasp: use some themselves. Who would ever think that a bunch of 20-30 year old millionaires who have the world at their disposal would ever get involved in such activities?

Be realistic. The world isn't a rainbow and puppy dog factory and thats what makes it fun and interesting.

Old
08-05-2011, 11:37 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
I'm not and this didn't happen at a hockey game.

I think I have a better idea of what I meant by "scrapping" than you do, considering I had the thought and typed the sentence. I would've used "brawling" if I were referring to a knock down drag out fight - couple this with the fact that I've read the various news accounts and twitter feeds and am fully aware of it being an argument and a shove. I wrote "scrapping" deliberately.

Regardless, I've had enough of Avery and his BS coupled with the fact that he had a terribly ineffective year last year = he's expendable. With or without this incident. It's time to go back to the AHL.
brawling. oh my god dude give it a rest. settle down. no scrap occured. and its very apparent you dont know what it means. why dont you just say avery reached for the cops gun.

Old
08-05-2011, 11:38 AM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
Yeah, not a scrap. Give it up. Shoving a person, one time, is not a fight or quarrel. It's a shove.
It's battery:

Definition of BATTERY
1a : the act of battering or beating b : an offensive touching or use of force on a person without the person's consent

Old
08-05-2011, 11:39 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:

God, people on this site act like they have never partied a day in their life.

Do any of you even live in the real world? At SOME point in your life, whether it was high school, college, early 30s, you knew people who used a variety of drugs to party and you didn't condemn them and call the cops on them. You probably partied with them, or were at least part of the same crowd and got along amicably. Just because someone at Avery's party might have been doing something, it doesn't necessarily reflect poorly on Avery. That's what happens at parties in real life. People here ARE soft. It's a little disturbing how PC and proper you guys are.

Old
08-05-2011, 11:40 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
It's battery:

Definition of BATTERY
1a : the act of battering or beating b : an offensive touching or use of force on a person without the person's consent
and that still doesnt mean scrap

Old
08-05-2011, 11:42 AM
chip chipperson*

the over reacting and how offended people are getting over this is sickening. meh this is outragous not classy, sociopath. jesus christ people.

Old
08-05-2011, 11:43 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
See above, again. I think I have a better idea of what I meant than you do. I don't know why this word is such an issue for you Avery apologists. The guy is an idiot.
I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about actually. Your posts are getting more and more obnoxious as you struggle to defend your blatant overreaction to the situation. The only reason people care is because it's just another thing to throw on the Sean Avery pile. Otherwise it's a completely trivial event. You call us Avery apologists, but if it had been Callahan or Staal THE WHOLE board would be talking about how alcohol and emotions don't mix, and he's young and it's understandable and he just lost his cool, and it's totally minor because it was just a shove, blah blah blah blah blah. And then if I cam in and said Cally shouldn't be scrapping with cops, I would get creamed by the entire HF Rangers fan base for using that word.

Old
08-05-2011, 11:44 AM
OverTheCap

Let's see if the league tries to suspend Avery again. He's lucky his good friend Shanny is in charge of discipline now.

The league didn't suspend Khabibulin, Roy, or Sean Burke (who plead GUILTY to domestic violence charges) for their transgressions, but I have a feeling Bettman is going to try the throw the book at Avery again...

Old
08-05-2011, 11:45 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
brawling. oh my god dude give it a rest. settle down. no scrap occured. and its very apparent you dont know what it means. why dont you just say avery reached for the cops gun.
Why don't you read what I wrote instead of spouting nonsense like the above? I wrote why I DIDN'T use the word "brawling".

Again, from Webster's for god's sake:

verb, scrapped, scrap·ping. Informal.
noun
a fight or quarrel: She got into a scrap with her in-laws.

You think the above is referencing her fist-fighting her in-laws?

No offense, but you don't know what you're talking about, even when cold hard facts are right in front of you.

Old
08-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Yeah, I'm sure executives who own and or run a professional sports team would be absolutely appalled to hear that professional athletes know people who do drugs or might even :gasp: use some themselves. Who would ever think that a bunch of 20-30 year old millionaires who have the world at their disposal would ever get involved in such activities?

Be realistic. The world isn't a rainbow and puppy dog factory and thats what makes it fun and interesting.
There is a big difference in knowing it exists and getting headlines because one of your players arrested while in the company of such people.
No one wants that kind of press.

Old
08-05-2011, 11:49 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Why don't you read what I wrote instead of spouting nonsense like the above? I wrote why I DIDN'T use the word "brawling".

Again, from Webster's for god's sake:

verb, scrapped, scrap·ping. Informal.
noun
a fight or quarrel: She got into a scrap with her in-laws.

You think the above is referencing her fist-fighting her in-laws?

No offense, but you don't know what you're talking about, even when cold hard facts are right in front of you.
cold hard facts huh? the fact is that your over reacting and using a word to describe the situation that we use to describe a hockey fight. go around and find a hockey fan that hasnt heard the story and tell them avery scrapped with a cop. see what they say. they are going to think a fist fight. then when you tell them no it was just a quarrel, they will tell you you over reacted.

that is assuming they dont walk around with the pocket version of the websters dictionary like some people i know

Old
08-05-2011, 11:50 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about actually. Your posts are getting more and more obnoxious as you struggle to defend your blatant overreaction to the situation. The only reason people care is because it's just another thing to throw on the Sean Avery pile. Otherwise it's a completely trivial event. You call us Avery apologists, but if it had been Callahan or Staal THE WHOLE board would be talking about how alcohol and emotions don't mix, and he's young and it's understandable and he just lost his cool, and it's totally minor because it was just a shove, blah blah blah blah blah. And then if I cam in and said Cally shouldn't be scrapping with cops, I would get creamed by the entire HF Rangers fan base for using that word.
I'm not overreacting to anything and I'm certainly not being obnoxious in defining a word where every major dictionary agrees with me and not with you. Your interpretations of what I meant to say are incorrect.

And, sorry, but Avery's past plays a part in this. It just does. Comparing him to Staal or Callahan is idiotic as they've been model citizens.

Altercations with police are not "trivial" events. Period. Particularly when it involves physicality.

Old
08-05-2011, 11:51 AM
John Torturella

Stop using definitions. Its silly. Words have denotative and connotative meanings. Meaning the definition in the dictionary is different from how the word is really used. People need to grow up and stop arguing just to argue.

Old
08-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
and that still doesnt mean scrap
I never said that.
My point was that even putting a finger on someone is criminal if they do not concent.

Seems it was a shove, with an offer to scrap haha.

No matter what though, shoveing a police officer is something most of us know to be a bad idea. Avery showed bad judgement and should probably be happy he wasnt also booked on threats (if the reports about him challenging them to fight and saying he could take them down are true).

Old
08-05-2011, 11:55 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
This is why you never leave your house and never let police officers into your house without a warrant...
im in law enforcement and the police dont have to have a warrant to come into your home unless they are searching for something specific. you can enter a home for other reasons we wont get into but just so you know...

Old
08-05-2011, 11:55 AM
haveandare

Quote:
There is a big difference in knowing it exists and getting headlines because one of your players arrested while in the company of such people.
No one wants that kind of press.
Well the headline doesn't mention anything about who was there does it? That was a theory put forth by a poster. If that actually were the case it wouldn't be common knowledge. As you said, it'd be between him and the team. So, yeah, there is a difference between those two things but "getting headlines" because of it isn't happening so the difference is sort of meaningless.

I don't remember, how did Chicago's season turn out when Kane, a guy who is much more "the face of the team" there than Avery is here, brought them all that bad press?

Old
08-05-2011, 11:56 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
cold hard facts huh? the fact is that your over reacting and using a word to describe the situation that we use to describe a hockey fight. go around and find a hockey fan that hasnt heard the story and tell them avery scrapped with a cop. see what they say. they are going to think a fist fight. then when you tell them no it was just a quarrel, they will tell you you over reacted.
Yeah, except WE ALL KNOW WHAT HAPPENED. Good lord, do I really have to spell this all out for you two? Scrapping, arguing, altercation, quarrel, who gives a crap? He's more trouble than he's worth and he's not a terrible effective hockey player anymore. That's the bottom line and it's not overreacting. I thought he was a marginal roster player before this went down. I now think it's a great opportunity to cut ties and move on.

Old
08-05-2011, 11:58 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Yeah, except WE ALL KNOW WHAT HAPPENED. Good lord, do I really have to spell this all out for you two? Scrapping, arguing, altercation, quarrel, who gives a crap? He's more trouble than he's worth and he's not a terrible effective hockey player anymore. That's the bottom line and it's not overreacting. I thought he was a marginal roster player before this went down. I now think it's a great opportunity to cut ties and move on.
over reacting

Old
08-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Crease

You can bet Torts lost his **** over this. Gunna be interesting to see how the Rangers PR their way around this.

Old
08-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Osminator

Its hilarious to read this thread, some people have put their lives on hold for this LOL...

Considering some NFL players have murdered, had guns go off in nightclubs or organized dogfights, this is a drop in the ocean... plop.

Closed Thread