HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Drury is considering retirement

Old
08-05-2011, 12:35 PM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
He said that his knee injury was degenerative. Maybe he realized that he just can not play anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Stop it! Don't try to rationalize it! People would rather think Drury, the captain of the team is a total *******!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
People really need to get a grip...Drury IS one the classiest players to ever lace up skates. You can tell that just by following his career and watching his demeanor. He did not do this to screw the Rangers.

**** happens. We signed him to a bad deal. Some of the blame falls on us. But the last thing I'm sure he wanted to do was be forced into an early retirement.
What these guys said.

Ready for the punch line? Don't let this ruin your weekend haters!!

UnderPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 12:51 PM
pld459666

had a feeling he was going to do this.

Would have preferred to have this happen before the buyout, but I do understand his reasonsing for doing what he did.

I never expected that he would forego the full years salary by calling it a career in May. I don't even begrudge him for doing this.

Naslund still had earning power. He went back home, played for his home town team, made a good salary, played hockey.

Drury is never going to play competitive professional hockey again. I have no problem with this as much as I would have hoped he did otherwise.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 12:54 PM
alkurtz

Are we going to start this whole freaking discussion again? Enough....everybody knows how each and everyone else on these boards feels about Drury.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 12:57 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Drury had a degenerative knee in June. It was and is not going get better with more surgery and rest. Nothing has changed. He soaked the Rangers for $3,333,333 when he knew all along his career was essentially over. Other players have retired due to injury. Jason Smith had a bad shoulder. Walked away from $2.6M. Brian Rafaski walked away from $6M. Markus Naslund walked away from $3M. Gil Meche walked away from crazy money. Not Drury. Captain integrity. Pierre LeBrun brought up this scenario months ago. Drury won't do the Rangers a favor and retire but retirement should not be ruled out later in the summer which is where we are at right now.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:02 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

I'm not mad. I doubt he wants to retire, probably hasn't gotten any offers.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:09 PM
GAGLine

Is there are way he could have retired, thus removing his cap hit, but still collected his 5 mil from insurance? If so, not only did he screw us, but he screwed himself.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:09 PM
darrenturcotte#8

They really couldn't work out a deal that he would retire and get a front office position for the balance of the $$? The cap hit does harm the Rangers to some degree thus making his move a selfish act. Funny thing is he was run out of Denver for being greedy and selfish.

I've always liked Chris Drury but I have to believe he could have handled this better. The guy really is all about the money... which is his right. But lets call it what it is.

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:19 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
He has a nice life after hockey set up with the pizza shop and all, and he has that knee problem that is degenerative. I think it is his time to go, hell of a career. Even if he did not live up to the unrealistic goals set for him with that 7 mil per contract, he still had a great career, and I respect what he has done for USA Hockey. I wish him the best
Agreed, and I think it's ridiculous that anyone would judge him for taking the last 5M (which he was entitled to) and then leaving. Loyalty is one thing but there is no true blue in idiocy. Naslund will not be remembered for what he did. Redden has the right idea, hate to say it!

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:22 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
They really couldn't work out a deal that he would retire and get a front office position for the balance of the $$? The cap hit does harm the Rangers to some degree thus making his move a selfish act. Funny thing is he was run out of Denver for being greedy and selfish.

I've always liked Chris Drury but I have to believe he could have handled this better. The guy really is all about the money... which is his right. But lets call it what it is.
Wrong... this is about a frivolous move by the organization, paying a then 30 y/o 2nd liner 35M+ for five years... I'd have done the same. It was a contract. That was Drury's $5M. Would you piss that away for your childhood team?

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:36 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
They really couldn't work out a deal that he would retire and get a front office position for the balance of the $$?
There's no way the NHL would let something like that slide. It would be clear cap circumvention.

Old
08-05-2011, 01:39 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
There's no way the NHL would let something like that slide. It would be clear cap circumvention.
I'm sure there was a better option. Long term IR doesnt could against the cap, right? There is always a solution if people are willing to be reasonable.

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:44 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Drury NOT retiring would be a complete shock to me.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Blue Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Naslund still had earning power. He went back home, played for his home town team, made a good salary, played hockey.
Näslund actually played for free when he returned to Sweden.

Forsberg was "pissed" that Näslund took away all his bargaining power and "forced" him to play for free as well.

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
Näslund actually played for free when he returned to Sweden.

Forsberg was "pissed" that Näslund took away all his bargaining power and "forced" him to play for free as well.
that is true

Man I loved Nazzy, such a class act

Swept In Seven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:59 PM
NYRKindms

Would it have been better capwise for the team if Drury had gone through with the career ending injury ? I know financially the rangers wouldn't have had to pay Dru's full salary (INS pays about 80% if i remember correctly) but would it have given cap relief or no ?

NYRKindms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 02:15 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
I'm sure there was a better option. Long term IR doesnt could against the cap, right? There is always a solution if people are willing to be reasonable.
Players on LTIR still count against the cap, but you can replace them with any number of players adding up to their salary, even if you go over the cap. But you have to use any remaining cap space first.

So if we were at 63.3 mil to start the season and then placed Drury on LTIR, we would be able to go up to 70.35 mil. But, LTIR cap space is not like regular cap space. It can't be banked. It's a use it or lose it scenario. The longer we wait to replace him, the less we can actually spend (though player salaries would be prorated as well).

The real problem though would have been the summer cap. Drury's entire 7.05 cap hit would have counted until the season started. We wouldn't have had enough cap space to sign everyone and would have had to buy out Wolski.

Old
08-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

not a surprise....just a little annoying he soaked the rangers for that buyout money.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 02:23 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

April 30

Pierre LeBrun

Quote:
So, Drury holds all the cards. He did come back from a serious knee injury this year and that's something he's going to look at this summer, how he feels physically. But I don't sense he's going to do the Rangers any favors and retire. He's either on the team next year or the Rangers bite the bullet and buy him out. A buyout would count $3.7 million against the Rangers' cap next season and $1.6 million in 2012-13.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-drurys-future

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Orr Nightmare

Was i being too tough on Drury...is that why my post was removed.

I will take it easier on him...he was great for American hockey and horrible for the Rangers.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Two things here. First for all of you defending this guy, your telling me he's just learning NOW of his condition? This wasn't advised to him since last season? C'mon he had to have had doctors tell him before the buyout of the injury and the chances of a successful comeback.

Second he did not have a GREAT career like posters are saying. It wasn't bad but great it was not.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:02 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Because Drury is the Devil
Lou signed Drury

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:04 PM
Kane One

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Well this is some *********....

No way the rangers could grieve this right?
Definitely not. He wouldn't have retired if his contract wasn't going to be bought out.

08-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

I think it's crap and I hate drury for it. Why? Because the rangers wouldve given him the money anyway. If he wanted the 5 million the rangers would've had no issues giving him a no work job for a million or two a year for a few years.

Granted it's not THAT simple but something could've been worked out had he been willing.

The rangers would not ask him to retire without compensation.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

I don't think that anyone would have a problem with Drury taking the money if it didn't count against the cap. People here are angry at him for hurting the team. I have no good memories of Drury being on the Rangers. That doesn't make him the devil. But this is kind of a poke in the eye when your eye's already sore from being poked.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:33 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote