HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Sean Couturier question

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-03-2011, 09:52 PM
  #26
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft
 
BleedOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oshawa Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCheck View Post
Saw Couturier play yesterday in a charity match in Magog...

First thing, he looks HUGE out there being wider and taller than most of the NHL other players...

But, even though it was just a charity match, he was lazy like no one! Was he shy about playing with established NHLer, maybe. But he showed absolutly nothing of his skills and couldn't simply keep the puck on his stick before creating turnovers.

That was his team :

TBA
Olivier Magnan KHL
Kristopher Letang Pittsburgh
Yanic Perreault LNH
Sean Couturier Drummondville-Philadelphie
Alex Lord Sherbrooke-LNAH
TBA

other team was:

Frédéric Cloutier Europe
Mathieu Carle Anaheim
Jason Pominville Buffalo
Pierre-Marc Bouchard Minnesota
Derick Brassard Colombus
François Bouchard Washington-Hershey
Stéphane Veilleux New-Jersey


But, even though it was just a charity match, he was lazy like no one! Was he shy about playing with established NHLer, maybe. But he showed absolutly nothing of his skills and couldn't simply keep the puck on his stick before creating turnovers.

Garbage post...............

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 09:55 PM
  #27
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 37,251
vCash: 156
Someone seems a bit touchy about Couturier

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 10:13 PM
  #28
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft
 
BleedOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oshawa Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Someone seems a bit touchy about Couturier

Iam

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:33 PM
  #29
StandingCow
Registered User
 
StandingCow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 3,537
vCash: 50
He probably didn't wanna risk injury before training camp...

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:57 AM
  #30
Falconator
Registered User
 
Falconator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,072
vCash: 500
He should spend one more year in junior, make the world junior team mature both physically and mentally. Then look out, he'll be a helluva player!!

Falconator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 06:49 PM
  #31
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Someone seems a bit touchy about Couturier
Exactly, he could have just been sore and tired from his vigorous summer workout schedule, or hungover.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 07:32 PM
  #32
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,552
vCash: 500
Oooooohhhh larry44...

/sigh
I guess it was due

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 07:40 PM
  #33
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,997
vCash: 500
As a staff we're discussing top 20's and future top 50's now.

It's kind of funny how high on Couturier everyone is as opposed to other forwards taken ahead of him.

...Just something I thought some of you would like to know.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 12:01 AM
  #34
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
As a staff we're discussing top 20's and future top 50's now.

It's kind of funny how high on Couturier everyone is as opposed to other forwards taken ahead of him.

...Just something I thought some of you would like to know.
As it should be. He was consistently ranked ahead of Strome, Zibanejad, and Schiefele by the various scouting services. His upside is also greater than Landeskogs, but I'm guessing Lando will be ranked higher.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:05 AM
  #35
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
As a staff we're discussing top 20's and future top 50's now.

It's kind of funny how high on Couturier everyone is as opposed to other forwards taken ahead of him.

...Just something I thought some of you would like to know.
It's because he was once ranked first. People kept taking pot shots at him and looking for a reason to rank him lower. I still think he's the best forward at the draft.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 11:56 AM
  #36
phillyfanatic
Registered User
 
phillyfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
From Edmonton paper today at World Juniors:
"Sean Couturier didn’t impress with acceleration but covered a lot of ice when in stride; on Thursday, however, Couturier looked rusty and struggled with the puck at times while creating little magic during the time I was watching him."

Hoping for some good reports after todays scrimmage. Keep in mind, he made the Canadian Team last year over all players taken ahead of him at the draft. I thought he looked good at the tournament for a 16 year old, 2 goals and 1 assist in 7 games.

Take a look at the stats for the team.....Brayden Schenn just ripped it up. 18 points in 7 games is sick.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/feature/?fid=36128

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:57 PM
  #37
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Here are some tweets about him from today:

Quote:
@VickersFC
Couturier with a partial shorthanded breakaway on a turnover. Heard three times already today that he is pro ready. Definitely looks it.
Quote:
WHLFromAbove
Sean Couturier getting rave reviews so far today at #WJHC camp. Will be interesting to see how he fits in Philly with Schenn there too. #NHL
Quote:
rossmaclean
Johansen playing the role that Couturier and RNH played on PP. Those three are also the 3 most likely to be doing that at the NHL next year
Quote:
rossmaclean
@HC_WJC Camp in Edmonton. First thoughts: Man Couturier looks like a pro
Ross MacLean is the head scout for ISS by the way.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 02:09 PM
  #38
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
From Edmonton paper today at World Juniors:
"Sean Couturier didn’t impress with acceleration but covered a lot of ice when in stride; on Thursday, however, Couturier looked rusty and struggled with the puck at times while creating little magic during the time I was watching him."

Hoping for some good reports after todays scrimmage. Keep in mind, he made the Canadian Team last year over all players taken ahead of him at the draft. I thought he looked good at the tournament for a 16 year old, 2 goals and 1 assist in 7 games.

Take a look at the stats for the team.....Brayden Schenn just ripped it up. 18 points in 7 games is sick.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/feature/?fid=36128
Whoever wrote that is pretty off the mark haha. I hope he feels stupid.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 02:10 PM
  #39
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Nice to see

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 02:59 PM
  #40
phillyfanatic
Registered User
 
phillyfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Whoever wrote that is pretty off the mark haha. I hope he feels stupid.
Time for a link to prove I didn't make it up...lol

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...e-in-edmonton/

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:06 PM
  #41
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Here are some tweets about him from today:








Ross MacLean is the head scout for ISS by the way.
To be fair, it is a good question to wonder what another year of dominating juniors would do for him. But we've all seen players rushed into NHL roles they weren't ready for yet, and it ruined their careers. It's really an bad situation to be in, not being able to send him to the AHL.

I'd let him play the 1st 9 in the NHL, give him time with NHL training/coaching staffs and NHL weight rooms...and if he looks terribly out of place, send him back to juniors with a list of things to improve on. If he's close to the competition, let him play the 3rd line wing and give him some PK time in blowouts to allow him to develop his strengths in the pros.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:19 PM
  #42
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
To be fair, it is a good question to wonder what another year of dominating juniors would do for him. But we've all seen players rushed into NHL roles they weren't ready for yet, and it ruined their careers. It's really an bad situation to be in, not being able to send him to the AHL.

I'd let him play the 1st 9 in the NHL, give him time with NHL training/coaching staffs and NHL weight rooms...and if he looks terribly out of place, send him back to juniors with a list of things to improve on. If he's close to the competition, let him play the 3rd line wing and give him some PK time in blowouts to allow him to develop his strengths in the pros.
Yeah, I think it is a huge disservice that kids like Couturier can't play in the AHL when it would benefit their development. I typically would rather send most prospects back to junior to err on the side of caution, but one thing to keep in mind in this case is that SC already had an extra year in junior because he is a late birthday. Holmgren expressed concern over sending him back for a 4th year in an article I read a while back. It's a tough decision. I think one thing in his advantage is that his defensive play is advanced enough that he could hold his own in the NHL. His size also won't be an issue.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:34 PM
  #43
Foreverinour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 99
vCash: 500
he'll be 19 in december then he'll be eligble. so im not sure if he can just leave and come to the phantoms or wait till his season is over.

Foreverinour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:50 PM
  #44
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverinour View Post
he'll be 19 in december then he'll be eligble. so im not sure if he can just leave and come to the phantoms or wait till his season is over.
Juniors are not eligible for the AHL until they are 20 or play 4 years in juniors. He can join the Phantoms when his junior season is over, though.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 04:13 PM
  #45
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
To be fair, it is a good question to wonder what another year of dominating juniors would do for him. But we've all seen players rushed into NHL roles they weren't ready for yet, and it ruined their careers. It's really an bad situation to be in, not being able to send him to the AHL.

I'd let him play the 1st 9 in the NHL, give him time with NHL training/coaching staffs and NHL weight rooms...and if he looks terribly out of place, send him back to juniors with a list of things to improve on. If he's close to the competition, let him play the 3rd line wing and give him some PK time in blowouts to allow him to develop his strengths in the pros.
The real problem Couturier's going to have in making the Flyers this year is the cap. If he signs for rookie max plus bonus, it all counts under the cap this year (right?). That's why Schenn's cap hit is $3.1M.

There is no way he can be on the team with a big salary+bonus hit unless another big salary goes or he beats Schenn out and Brayden starts in the AHL, and I don't see him signing for $650K with no bonus just so he can beat out Sestito.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 04:19 PM
  #46
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
The real problem Couturier's going to have in making the Flyers this year is the cap. If he signs for rookie max plus bonus, it all counts under the cap this year (right?). That's why Schenn's cap hit is $3.1M.

There is no way he can be on the team with a big salary+bonus hit unless another big salary goes or he beats Schenn out and Brayden starts in the AHL, and I don't see him signing for $650K with no bonus just so he can beat out Sestito.
this really isnt the problem tbh.

If he looks good in camp he will start in O&B, we will make it work.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 04:41 PM
  #47
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
The real problem Couturier's going to have in making the Flyers this year is the cap. If he signs for rookie max plus bonus, it all counts under the cap this year (right?). That's why Schenn's cap hit is $3.1M.

There is no way he can be on the team with a big salary+bonus hit unless another big salary goes or he beats Schenn out and Brayden starts in the AHL, and I don't see him signing for $650K with no bonus just so he can beat out Sestito.
The cap is an issue right now, but if Holmgren has the sense to get rid of dead weight like Jody Shelley he can make it work. Couturier's cap hit should only be about half of Schenn's since 8th overall picks typically don't get max bonuses.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 12:10 PM
  #48
braino
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 349
vCash: 500
Great posts

Hi guys,

I appreciate all the comments about Couturier and the posts. Let's keep this going as 4-5 weeks camps will open and 60 days from now the season starts. I'd like to know Couturier's progress and all news about him if possible. I am in a pool and am considering him over several other prospects drafted ahead of him.

Braino

braino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 01:43 PM
  #49
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
The cap is an issue right now, but if Holmgren has the sense to get rid of dead weight like Jody Shelley he can make it work. Couturier's cap hit should only be about half of Schenn's since 8th overall picks typically don't get max bonuses.
Larsson just got 900K, granted he isn't a forward, but it should mean that Couturiers cap should be around that figure.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 02:17 PM
  #50
Hollywood Couturier
Moderator
 
Hollywood Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Larsson just got 900K, granted he isn't a forward, but it should mean that Couturiers cap should be around that figure.
Larsson got $900k because it didn't include any bonuses.

__________________

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.