HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Sean Couturier question

Old
08-03-2011, 09:52 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCheck View Post
Saw Couturier play yesterday in a charity match in Magog...

First thing, he looks HUGE out there being wider and taller than most of the NHL other players...

But, even though it was just a charity match, he was lazy like no one! Was he shy about playing with established NHLer, maybe. But he showed absolutly nothing of his skills and couldn't simply keep the puck on his stick before creating turnovers.

That was his team :

TBA
Olivier Magnan KHL
Kristopher Letang Pittsburgh
Yanic Perreault LNH
Sean Couturier Drummondville-Philadelphie
Alex Lord Sherbrooke-LNAH
TBA

other team was:

Frédéric Cloutier Europe
Mathieu Carle Anaheim
Jason Pominville Buffalo
Pierre-Marc Bouchard Minnesota
Derick Brassard Colombus
François Bouchard Washington-Hershey
Stéphane Veilleux New-Jersey

But, even though it was just a charity match, he was lazy like no one! Was he shy about playing with established NHLer, maybe. But he showed absolutly nothing of his skills and couldn't simply keep the puck on his stick before creating turnovers.

Garbage post...............

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Someone seems a bit touchy about Couturier

08-03-2011, 10:13 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

Iam

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:33 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
He probably didn't wanna risk injury before training camp...

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:57 AM
Falconator

He should spend one more year in junior, make the world junior team mature both physically and mentally. Then look out, he'll be a helluva player!!

Falconator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 06:49 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Exactly, he could have just been sore and tired from his vigorous summer workout schedule, or hungover.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 07:32 PM
tuckrr

Oooooohhhh larry44...

/sigh
I guess it was due

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 07:40 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

As a staff we're discussing top 20's and future top 50's now.

It's kind of funny how high on Couturier everyone is as opposed to other forwards taken ahead of him.

...Just something I thought some of you would like to know.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 12:01 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

It's kind of funny how high on Couturier everyone is as opposed to other forwards taken ahead of him.

As it should be. He was consistently ranked ahead of Strome, Zibanejad, and Schiefele by the various scouting services. His upside is also greater than Landeskogs, but I'm guessing Lando will be ranked higher.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:05 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:

It's because he was once ranked first. People kept taking pot shots at him and looking for a reason to rank him lower. I still think he's the best forward at the draft.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 11:56 AM
phillyfanatic

From Edmonton paper today at World Juniors:
"Sean Couturier didn’t impress with acceleration but covered a lot of ice when in stride; on Thursday, however, Couturier looked rusty and struggled with the puck at times while creating little magic during the time I was watching him."

Hoping for some good reports after todays scrimmage. Keep in mind, he made the Canadian Team last year over all players taken ahead of him at the draft. I thought he looked good at the tournament for a 16 year old, 2 goals and 1 assist in 7 games.

Take a look at the stats for the team.....Brayden Schenn just ripped it up. 18 points in 7 games is sick.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/feature/?fid=36128

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:57 PM
Haute Couturier

Here are some tweets about him from today:

Quote:
@VickersFC
Couturier with a partial shorthanded breakaway on a turnover. Heard three times already today that he is pro ready. Definitely looks it.
Quote:
WHLFromAbove
Sean Couturier getting rave reviews so far today at #WJHC camp. Will be interesting to see how he fits in Philly with Schenn there too. #NHL
Quote:
rossmaclean
Johansen playing the role that Couturier and RNH played on PP. Those three are also the 3 most likely to be doing that at the NHL next year
Quote:
rossmaclean
@HC_WJC Camp in Edmonton. First thoughts: Man Couturier looks like a pro
Ross MacLean is the head scout for ISS by the way.

Old
08-05-2011, 02:09 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
From Edmonton paper today at World Juniors:
"Sean Couturier didn’t impress with acceleration but covered a lot of ice when in stride; on Thursday, however, Couturier looked rusty and struggled with the puck at times while creating little magic during the time I was watching him."

Hoping for some good reports after todays scrimmage. Keep in mind, he made the Canadian Team last year over all players taken ahead of him at the draft. I thought he looked good at the tournament for a 16 year old, 2 goals and 1 assist in 7 games.

Take a look at the stats for the team.....Brayden Schenn just ripped it up. 18 points in 7 games is sick.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/feature/?fid=36128
Whoever wrote that is pretty off the mark haha. I hope he feels stupid.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Nice to see

Old
08-05-2011, 02:59 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Whoever wrote that is pretty off the mark haha. I hope he feels stupid.
Time for a link to prove I didn't make it up...lol

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...e-in-edmonton/

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:06 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Here are some tweets about him from today:

Ross MacLean is the head scout for ISS by the way.
To be fair, it is a good question to wonder what another year of dominating juniors would do for him. But we've all seen players rushed into NHL roles they weren't ready for yet, and it ruined their careers. It's really an bad situation to be in, not being able to send him to the AHL.

I'd let him play the 1st 9 in the NHL, give him time with NHL training/coaching staffs and NHL weight rooms...and if he looks terribly out of place, send him back to juniors with a list of things to improve on. If he's close to the competition, let him play the 3rd line wing and give him some PK time in blowouts to allow him to develop his strengths in the pros.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
To be fair, it is a good question to wonder what another year of dominating juniors would do for him. But we've all seen players rushed into NHL roles they weren't ready for yet, and it ruined their careers. It's really an bad situation to be in, not being able to send him to the AHL.

I'd let him play the 1st 9 in the NHL, give him time with NHL training/coaching staffs and NHL weight rooms...and if he looks terribly out of place, send him back to juniors with a list of things to improve on. If he's close to the competition, let him play the 3rd line wing and give him some PK time in blowouts to allow him to develop his strengths in the pros.
Yeah, I think it is a huge disservice that kids like Couturier can't play in the AHL when it would benefit their development. I typically would rather send most prospects back to junior to err on the side of caution, but one thing to keep in mind in this case is that SC already had an extra year in junior because he is a late birthday. Holmgren expressed concern over sending him back for a 4th year in an article I read a while back. It's a tough decision. I think one thing in his advantage is that his defensive play is advanced enough that he could hold his own in the NHL. His size also won't be an issue.

Old
08-05-2011, 03:34 PM
Foreverinour

he'll be 19 in december then he'll be eligble. so im not sure if he can just leave and come to the phantoms or wait till his season is over.

Foreverinour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverinour View Post
he'll be 19 in december then he'll be eligble. so im not sure if he can just leave and come to the phantoms or wait till his season is over.
Juniors are not eligible for the AHL until they are 20 or play 4 years in juniors. He can join the Phantoms when his junior season is over, though.

Old
08-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post

The real problem Couturier's going to have in making the Flyers this year is the cap. If he signs for rookie max plus bonus, it all counts under the cap this year (right?). That's why Schenn's cap hit is $3.1M.

There is no way he can be on the team with a big salary+bonus hit unless another big salary goes or he beats Schenn out and Brayden starts in the AHL, and I don't see him signing for $650K with no bonus just so he can beat out Sestito.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 04:19 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
The real problem Couturier's going to have in making the Flyers this year is the cap. If he signs for rookie max plus bonus, it all counts under the cap this year (right?). That's why Schenn's cap hit is $3.1M.

There is no way he can be on the team with a big salary+bonus hit unless another big salary goes or he beats Schenn out and Brayden starts in the AHL, and I don't see him signing for $650K with no bonus just so he can beat out Sestito.
this really isnt the problem tbh.

If he looks good in camp he will start in O&B, we will make it work.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post

The cap is an issue right now, but if Holmgren has the sense to get rid of dead weight like Jody Shelley he can make it work. Couturier's cap hit should only be about half of Schenn's since 8th overall picks typically don't get max bonuses.

Old
08-06-2011, 12:10 PM
braino

Great posts

Hi guys,

I appreciate all the comments about Couturier and the posts. Let's keep this going as 4-5 weeks camps will open and 60 days from now the season starts. I'd like to know Couturier's progress and all news about him if possible. I am in a pool and am considering him over several other prospects drafted ahead of him.

Braino

braino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
The cap is an issue right now, but if Holmgren has the sense to get rid of dead weight like Jody Shelley he can make it work. Couturier's cap hit should only be about half of Schenn's since 8th overall picks typically don't get max bonuses.
Larsson just got 900K, granted he isn't a forward, but it should mean that Couturiers cap should be around that figure.

Old
08-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Larsson just got 900K, granted he isn't a forward, but it should mean that Couturiers cap should be around that figure.
Larsson got $900k because it didn't include any bonuses.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote