HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Mikhail Pashnin to Play in N.A This Season (UPDATE: Signs extension in Russia)

Old
08-03-2011, 01:44 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
People get too carried away with positive one-liners from beat writers and people in the organization. Pashnin "turned a lot of heads" with his relentless physical play, but he also demonstrated very poor positioning, decision making, and was often caught on the ice for very long shifts due to those reasons.

He's an excellent physical presence, but unless he seriously improves the rest of his game -- you know, the part where he defends the puck -- he's not likely to be much more than a #6 d-man. If pointing out that he has serious holes in his game rubs people the wrong way, then it's time for those people to stop being hypocritical.
Which is why he makes the move to NA and joins the Whale and works with a guy like J.J. Daigneault. I doubt the kid's ever had coach as solid as him before, one who will teach him to actually play defense. One thing is for sure, he's motivated to win and like other Rangers who have succeeded, he's got the right attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
Hey - I love the fact that you are super-optimistic. I am much more even keeled. I think that the guy goes to Hartford - plays the game - and then we see where he is. I don't get the super enthusiasm with this guy. I'd be shocked if you saw him play (I haven't). I hope he is Kaspar 2, but keep in mind, Kaspar was a 5th overall pick. Until I see this kid myself, then i can't put him in this class. A Rangers scout giving a few good one liners just doesn't quite do it..
I'm not expecting him to make the Rangers out of camp, but making the Whale is a different story. With as solid as the Rangers' defense is, there's zero reason to rush this kid, or any other defensive prospect, Parlett, McIlrath, Kundratek and Del Zotto included. After physically maturing and improving his defensive awareness there's no reason why we can't see this kid in NY as a top4 blueliner just like Kaspar was. For now, IMO he's a solid prospect.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:45 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Never read into Pashnin too much, what can we expect? ECHL route first than playing is way up to AHL?

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Never read into Pashnin too much, what can we expect? ECHL route first than playing is way up to AHL?
Assuming he's signed to an NHL contract, he cannot be assigned to the ECHL without his permission. Although it really makes no sense to send him there (unless it's to rehab an injury) because the level of play is probably below what he's been seeing in Russia. Plus, given the culture shock he's going to experience, sending him to a team in what is for him the middle of nowhere with very few European players in the league would not help his development either. It's going to tough enough coming over to Hartford from that perspective.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:03 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Assuming he's signed to an NHL contract, he cannot be assigned to the ECHL without his permission.
That is only true for 1-way contracts. Pashnin, because of his age, will have to sign an ELC and all ELCs are 2-way.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:26 PM
NYR Viper

He will play in the AHL.
MDZ/Valtenko
Redden
Kundratek
Parlett
Pashnin

Who else am I forgetting?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:49 PM
kovazub94

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
He will play in the AHL.
MDZ/Valtenko
Redden
Kundratek
Parlett
Pashnin

Niemi

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:53 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
He will play in the AHL.
MDZ/Valtenko
Redden
Kundratek
Parlett
Pashnin

Jyri Niemi, Stu Bickel.

Possibly Nightingale?

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
That is only true for 1-way contracts. Pashnin, because of his age, will have to sign an ELC and all ELCs are 2-way.
Just checked, you're right about being able to send a player on an ELC to the ECHL, but let's face it, it would not be a smart move. It's not going to help Pashnin improve his skills because he will be playing against inferior players and as I said in my original post, it's not going to help him get used to living in a country that is very different from his homeland. Might as well send him home if he can't make the AHL at this point.

Old
08-03-2011, 03:23 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
Jyri Niemi, Stu Bickel.

Possibly Nightingale?
Ah yes, Jyri Niemi. Bickel is horrible, I forgot him on purpose.

Nightingale will probably play as well. 7-8 d-men in the AHL is not a weird thing. For some reason they have a TON of injuries every year.

Old
08-05-2011, 10:01 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Sent: Aug 5, 2011 10:58a

Mikhail Pashnin will attend the #NYR training camp and will then make a decision on whether to join the Rangers.

sent via web
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/dchesnokov/status/99494559972732929

The Russians got to him.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 10:18 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

So Pashnin is going to attend Ranger camp and then make a decision. Why is he basing his decision on training camp? He is going to AHL if he signs here. Its either NHL or KHL? No AHL. If that's the issue,then Pashnin should sign a deal to remain in the KHL. Or Pashnin is afraid to sign an ELC with the Rangers while he is still in Russia and he is just looking for an excuse to not sign before camp.

Old
08-05-2011, 10:33 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
So Pashnin is going to attend Ranger camp and then make a decision. Why is he basing his decision on training camp? He is going to AHL if he signs here. Its either NHL or KHL? No AHL. If that's the issue,then Pashnin should sign a deal to remain in the KHL. Or Pashnin is afraid to sign an ELC with the Rangers while he is still in Russia and he is just looking for an excuse to not sign before camp.
Maybe he wants to see where he is on their depth chart. If he thinks he won't see ANY time in the NHL this season maybe he decides to make more money for (1) more year in the KHL?

Old
08-05-2011, 10:36 AM
NYROrtsFan

Sounds like he intends to get a feel for if he has any chance to make the NYR roster... Once he realizes he probably won't, he's not staying.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Sounds like he intends to get a feel for if he has any chance to make the NYR roster... Once he realizes he probably won't, he's not staying.
Oh too good for the AHL type attitude....seems a bit selfish....hope he actually goes to AHL if he signed the contract and hopefully will not bolt to russia

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 11:01 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
If he's an NHL-or-bust player, then he may as well just re-sign in Russia. The organization has shown time and time again that they don't guarantee roster spots to players in this situation.

Old
08-05-2011, 01:51 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Laurie's blog

Quote:
Ekaterina Mukhlinina of Infox.ru spoke to Pashnin’s agent Alexei Dementiev, who made it clear the decision on where Pashnin will play next season has not yet been made. “At the current moment, Pashnin has not signed any contract, either with CSKA Moscow or the Rangers. All roads are open for Mikhail,” he stressed. “Anything’s possible.”

“I think everything will be determined within a week to ten days,” Dementiev added.
http://www.beyondtheblueshirts.com/2...ay-next-season

Does this kid have a North American agent?

Old
08-05-2011, 02:47 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Maybe, he might also be wanting to gauge if he will play good minutes in the AHL.

ocarina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 02:55 PM
xxxZENxxx

It does seem frustrating to a Ranger fan, but deciding whether to play in the AHL or KHL has major financial implications. I doubt many people on this board would leave their decent paying job on a maybe that could end up being a much lower salary. It's annoying to constantly hear this with KHL players, but it is understandable nonetheless.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:00 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
It does seem frustrating to a Ranger fan, but deciding whether to play in the AHL or KHL has major financial implications. I doubt many people on this board would leave their decent paying job on a maybe that could end up being a much lower salary. It's annoying to constantly hear this with KHL players, but it is understandable nonetheless.
Oh, yeah. I totally get why he's doing what he's doing, and I can't hold it against him. He has to do what is in his own best interests.

Old
08-05-2011, 04:12 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Never expected this kid to be anything for the Rangers organization, anyway.

So, if he doesn't sign, no skin off our backs.

Erixon, Del Zotto, McIlrath

Right there is a huge road block for him.

Not to mention Valentenko and Kundratek, who I also don't feel will amount to anything for the Rangers, except in trade value, but are higher on the food chart.

Staal
Girardi
McDonagh
Sauer
Erixon
Del Zotto
Eminger
McIlrath

Pashnin, Valentenko, and Kundratek won't be on the roster as a #7. Doubt they make it and stick in the NHL as a Ranger.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
If he's an NHL-or-bust player, then he may as well just re-sign in Russia. The organization has shown time and time again that they don't guarantee roster spots to players in this situation.
I don't see where he's demainding a spot to sign--he's going to come to training camp (no doubt) with the intention of winning a spot on the Rangers roster. Just because it's a long-shot doesn't mean he shouldn't try. And once he's been through training camp/pre-season both the team and Pashnin will have a better idea of where he fits in the Rangers long term plan. If he's the last cut, maybe he takes a chance, signs and starts out in Hartford.

I actually think this is positive step for both parties.

Old
08-05-2011, 06:46 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

russians do not usually like to go to the ahl and play for a few reasons.

1. they consider it a step down from the kontinental league. why play in the a when you can play in a better league and make more money. not to mention

long bus rides
small older arenas with small crowds
cramped locker rooms
average hotels
marginal stipend money

that can describe both the ahl and the khl but......

2. the k pays way better and its virtually tax free

3. they can stay home with family and friends

many russians feel the a is a wasteland and once youre there, youre stuck.

in a way, its a sense of entitlement that i dont agree with, but taken as a whole, i can see why staying in russia would be more attractive.

and hes exactly the kind of marginal nhl playerr that tends to stay in russia. the superstars come here. the 3rd line types dont. thats just the way it is.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 06:47 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
I don't see where he's demainding a spot to sign--he's going to come to training camp (no doubt) with the intention of winning a spot on the Rangers roster. Just because it's a long-shot doesn't mean he shouldn't try. And once he's been through training camp/pre-season both the team and Pashnin will have a better idea of where he fits in the Rangers long term plan. If he's the last cut, maybe he takes a chance, signs and starts out in Hartford.

I actually think this is positive step for both parties.
I don't know, I'm skeptical. This just feels like a common situation in the NHL, and rarely does it result in the player signing with his club or coming to the States. It's nothing but a gut feeling, but I'd be surprised if we see him in North America after training camp.

Old
08-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
I don't know, I'm skeptical. This just feels like a common situation in the NHL, and rarely does it result in the player signing with his club or coming to the States. It's nothing but a gut feeling, but I'd be surprised if we see him in North America after training camp.
Honestly, I don't care either way. This a prospect taken in the later rounds, who's already a long-shot. At least we'll all get see him on the ice now and hey, ya never know.

Old
08-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
A lot of those concerns would be alleviated if he signed a 1-way contract, given he'll be making his money regardless of whether he plays in the NHL or AHL.

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote