HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Just Wondering about the NVMC

Old
08-03-2011, 09:51 PM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
the thing the AHL team in Nassau would have going for it would be that it's closer to a lot of Ranger fans than the Garden...that's what would make it draw well, to me. But it's tough to tell, because as i mentioned earlier, the Marlies don't draw well in Toronto

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 10:18 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
the thing the AHL team in Nassau would have going for it would be that it's closer to a lot of Ranger fans than the Garden...that's what would make it draw well, to me. But it's tough to tell, because as i mentioned earlier, the Marlies don't draw well in Toronto
Really? I wouldn't go more than once or twice a season, if that--it's hard to get there without a car (and if I had a car, I really wouldn't want to fight the traffic out to get out there either). And once you factor the price of parking/transportation, the fact that the Arena is a dump, that tickets won't be that cheap and concessions will be just expensive as they are now, it's really not a bargin.

Plus, how many Ranger fans are really going to do regularly? And how many of those are going to be willing to become season ticket holders? Then throw in the fact that a Rangers team will be playing in an area that is full of people who will absolutely hate the idea of going to see the enemy and I can't imagine anyone in their right mind moving an AHL team there. Brooklyn? Thats another story all together.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 10:38 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Really? I wouldn't go more than once or twice a season, if that--it's hard to get there without a car (and if I had a car, I really wouldn't want to fight the traffic out to get out there either). And once you factor the price of parking/transportation, the fact that the Arena is a dump, that tickets won't be that cheap and concessions will be just expensive as they are now, it's really not a bargin.

Plus, how many Ranger fans are really going to do regularly? And how many of those are going to be willing to become season ticket holders? Then throw in the fact that a Rangers team will be playing in an area that is full of people who will absolutely hate the idea of going to see the enemy and I can't imagine anyone in their right mind moving an AHL team there. Brooklyn? Thats another story all together.
The traffic to a 7pm game was never bad when the isles weren't selling out...I doubt much would be different. They would at least match what they do in Hartford and be closer to home.

You're assuming that all the prices would be the same for an AHL team as the current prices the Islanders run. Parking would probably be free or very cheap. Tickets would start at something like $10, maybe less since they'd never sell out. Concessions and merchandise would be AHL prices not NHL prices

Old
08-03-2011, 11:50 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
The traffic to a 7pm game was never bad when the isles weren't selling out...I doubt much would be different. They would at least match what they do in Hartford and be closer to home.

You're assuming that all the prices would be the same for an AHL team as the current prices the Islanders run. Parking would probably be free or very cheap. Tickets would start at something like $10, maybe less since they'd never sell out. Concessions and merchandise would be AHL prices not NHL prices
You're talking about an Arena in one of the most expensive areas in the country. They are not going to move a minor league team that's part of the Rangers organization into that Arena to replace the Islanders. And they are not going to give it away if they are stupid enough to do it.

And like I said, I don't own a car. As far as I can remember, LIRR doesn't stop there. Hence, it's a hassle. And if the Isles move to Brooklyn or Queens I won't go. I watched my family mourn the loss of the Brooklyn Dodgers all my life and went to school near Cleveland and know how miserable it was for them to lose the Browns too. I'm not going to give my money to carpetbaggers.

Bottom line: I hope the Isles stay on the Island.

Old
08-04-2011, 12:51 PM
JanErixon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubedo View Post
Play the chicken dance and blow it up!

GOOD BYE TROLLS!!!!
GOOD RIDDANCE.

Everytime some Ranger fan feels sympathy...just remember the chicken dance, 1940 chants....yeh....crocodile tears.
I really don't care/hate them as I did when I was a kid in the 80s, but that could change, especially if I keep reading their forum.

Gaborik? Ahh, he's OK.
Richards? Ahh, he's OK but he'll decline after signing in NY.

Rolston and Reasoner? HUGE UPGRADES!

Not meaning to change the direction of the thread or start a war, but that kind of made me laugh.

JanErixon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:20 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:

The traffic from Brooklyn to LI at 6pm (when I would be leaving) is significant to say the least,

Old
08-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Mr Wentworth
Isles Masochist

If you look at it from a money stand point, I think they should stay in Hartford.

Hartford wants hockey and the Whale give them that.

Playing in Nassau, I think, while it might be closer, I don't think it'll be as profitable as Hartford.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 05:43 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Their current AHL team does pretty good numbers compared to other AHL teams!

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Scotty Hockey

The Marlies are a bad example because they haven't had many good prospects to watch and haven't been competitive. Plus, that is in Toronto, where Leaf fans are even more bitter and jaded at the ownership than we are here.

I would love to see someone else take the Whale affiliate and have the Rangers move a AHL or ECHL team into Brooklyn. Since it seems Neil Smith's Warriors are settled in Greenville, perhaps AHL will work. And, seeing as a lot of the (True) blue collar Ranger fans won't be able to afford to take the family to the Garden once the renovation is done, an affordable AHL team could do the trick. I am expecting to give up my season tix at some point soon and would love to pay for the A...

Scotty Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 06:52 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
The traffic from Brooklyn to LI at 6pm (when I would be leaving) is significant to say the least,
I don't know when we started talking about Brooklyn, but I'm talking about the Rangers affiliate moving to Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum. And my point to begin with was there are a lot of Ranger fans in Nassau and Suffolk that can't afford/take the time to get to a game at MSG that would probably support the Rangers affiliate if it were to move there along with others. If people were traveling from Brooklyn, Manhattan or the Bronx to get to a 7pm game I could see there being some traffic issues.

Old
08-04-2011, 06:56 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
You're talking about an Arena in one of the most expensive areas in the country. They are not going to move a minor league team that's part of the Rangers organization into that Arena to replace the Islanders. And they are not going to give it away if they are stupid enough to do it.

And like I said, I don't own a car. As far as I can remember, LIRR doesn't stop there. Hence, it's a hassle. And if the Isles move to Brooklyn or Queens I won't go. I watched my family mourn the loss of the Brooklyn Dodgers all my life and went to school near Cleveland and know how miserable it was for them to lose the Browns too. I'm not going to give my money to carpetbaggers.

Bottom line: I hope the Isles stay on the Island.
They wouldn't be "replacing" the Islanders, they'd be giving the building some form of event that was consistent to sell. What else are they going to do if they keep the coliseum up? Concerts is all theyd have left, cause there's no more Dragons, I don't think any lacrosse teams play there, and the Isles would be gone. If it's an AHL team or nothing I th ink they'd prefer an AHL team.

If the Isles move to Brooklyn or Queens they'd be staying within the vicinity as their best and only option versus a complete relocation of everything. And they'd be adding mass transit. Not that it has ANYTHING to do with what I've been talking about, but it'd arguably be easier to get to games for a lot of people, especially ones that don't have cars.

Old
08-04-2011, 07:37 PM
Giacomin

As a long time Hockey fan(almost 50 years) and someone who lives and works in Suffolk County I think in todays world a minor league hockey team at the NVMC would fold in a year. I think that with the convenience of the LIRR go to MSG it is just as easier for most than driving to Uniondale. I usually go to 10-15 games a year at MSG and find the LIRR great. I only had one problem in recent years and that was the Rangers/Isles game last December when the trains were not running. Taking the train beats driving in snow and ice. I fear that pro-hockey will be gone from Long Island in 4 years.

Giacomin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
They wouldn't be "replacing" the Islanders, they'd be giving the building some form of event that was consistent to sell. What else are they going to do if they keep the coliseum up? Concerts is all theyd have left, cause there's no more Dragons, I don't think any lacrosse teams play there, and the Isles would be gone. If it's an AHL team or nothing I th ink they'd prefer an AHL team.

If the Isles move to Brooklyn or Queens they'd be staying within the vicinity as their best and only option versus a complete relocation of everything. And they'd be adding mass transit. Not that it has ANYTHING to do with what I've been talking about, but it'd arguably be easier to get to games for a lot of people, especially ones that don't have cars.
I think you underestimate the anger and bitterness there would be--something that would prevent a team associated with the Rangers from even considering the move. And I think you overestimate significantly the number of Ranger fans who have any interest in going regularly to see a AHL team regardless of whether they live on the Island or not.

Old
08-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Mr Wentworth
Isles Masochist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubedo View Post
Isles never drew. They were just like the Devils. No fans.
Nah, the Isles drew. There weren't about 85 percent corporate seats, instead there were real fans.

Old
08-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Rangers1135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
Nah, the Isles drew. There weren't about 85 percent corporate seats, instead there were real fans.

Lol, wow. 2nd time you brought that up. Your own GM said you have only 10,000 fans. 85%? It's funny when the Rangers fans invade the Coliseum every time we play there. We sell out every game with loyal fans. The Islanders were dead last and barely sold out half the arena.

Rangers1135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Mr Wentworth
Isles Masochist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers1135 View Post
Lol, wow. 2nd time you brought that up. Your own GM said you have only 10,000 fans. 85%? It's funny when the Rangers fans invade the Coliseum every time we play there. We sell out every game with loyal fans. The Islanders were dead last and barely sold out half the arena.
The second time I brought what up?

Old
08-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Rangers1135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
The second time I brought what up?

The 85% thing.

nnnn

Rangers1135 is offline   Reply With Quote