Notices

Bob McCown - "Three current Winnipeg Jets players want out"

Old
08-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

vCash: 500
Bob McCown - "Three current Winnipeg Jets players want out"

He just said this a few minutes ago on the Fan 590. He claimed that three current Jets players are basically doing awhatever they can to get traded out of Winnipeg. Anybody in Jetsville here of this?

Fehr Time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 04:58 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 700
McCown is a moron. He's been saying that Thomson going to buy the maple leafs. I give what he says no credence.
Absolute windbag, nothing he says is worth anything to me. When others report I'll pay attention.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 05:04 PM
jetster

Its funny how mccown would say something positive about winnipeg everyone is saying how great he is. but once he reports on something negative everyone jumps down his throat haha

jetster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
Hi, I'm Bob McCown, I want ratings. I'll say any damn vague thing I want to get people to tune in or visit our website.

Sports 'journalism' used to be taken as seriously as news. It has now sunken to a depth so vile I can't even stand it. I wouldn't give this meathead the time of day, or a buoy if he was drowning in Lake Ontario.

Garbage like this seriously pisses me off because you know what? Now we will have a 40 page thread on how no one wants to come to the cesspool known as Winnipeg based on nothing but the baseless musings of some moron, and in the end, McCown gets what he wants - people talking about him and more exposure.

08-05-2011, 05:05 PM
PostmanPat1919

Apparently these three players are doing a pretty bad job of "doing whatever it takes", considering that nobody except for McCown has noted their efforts thus far.

PostmanPat1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 05:06 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Highly doubt it.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Yukon Joe

vCash: 624
McCown is an odd one.

It's not that he has zero sources. He did report, for example, that the Glendale bond sale was dead - and that turned out to be true.

But he's not an investigative reporter. He's a talk show host. He has talked out of his behind more than once too - such as the 'Thompson is buying the Leafs' comment. It's hard to see how Bob McCown, of all people, would get this scoop.

So I won't rule it out, but I won't pay it a lot of attention.

At this point almost all of the players have given media interviews sounding fairly positive about the move. Thinking about it the only ones that I haven't heard a peep out of have been Antropov and Pavelec.

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetster View Post
Its funny how mccown would say something positive about winnipeg everyone is saying how great he is. but once he reports on something negative everyone jumps down his throat haha
Please, I encourage you to find me something that jackass has said that is positive about Winnipeg. The golden horseshoe is the only thing he ever talks about in a positive way.

He's probably choked that the Thrashers didn't go to Hamilton or Toronto.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 05:11 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 700
Just to be clear this isn't new that I think he's a moron. The Thomson buying the leafs thing proves to me he's a homer from toronto with no idea of what's going on in winnipeg and has no real sources within the winnipeg organization.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
McCown is an odd one.

It's not that he has zero sources. He did report, for example, that the Glendale bond sale was dead - and that turned out to be true.

But he's not an investigative reporter. He's a talk show host. He has talked out of his behind more than once too - such as the 'Thompson is buying the Leafs' comment. It's hard to see how Bob McCown, of all people, would get this scoop.

So I won't rule it out, but I won't pay it a lot of attention.

At this point almost all of the players have given media interviews sounding fairly positive about the move. Thinking about it the only ones that I haven't heard a peep out of have been Antropov and Pavelec.

This is the reason I posted this. He obviously is not Dreger, but he does have sources. I was just wondering if anyone else heard of something like this. It was on PTS for those who don't know. He sounded fairly adamant about it. I dunno?

Old
08-05-2011, 05:17 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

McCown also said when tnse knocked on the NHL's door, the NHL told them to go away. Every year nhl teams have players that want to be traded, so what?

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 05:18 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Just for laughs, who could these players be?

-not Ladd or Wheeler, both just re-signed with us.
-not Kane, Mason, Byfuglien, Pavelec, Enstrom, Stapleton, Burmistrov, Slater, Hainsey or Cormier, who have all publicly commented positively/favorably to the prospect of playing in Winnipeg.
-not Fehr or Gregoire, because they're Winnipeggers.

That leaves Bogosian (hasn't re-signed yet), Oduya (hasn't played well since he left New Jersey), Antropov, Stuart, Thorburn and prospects.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
Just for laughs, who could these players be?

-not Ladd or Wheeler, both just re-signed with us.
-not Kane, Mason, Byfuglien, Pavelec, Enstrom, Stapleton, Burmistrov, Slater, Hainsey or Cormier, who have all publicly commented positively/favorably to the prospect of playing in Winnipeg.
-not Fehr or Gregoire, because they're Winnipeggers.

That leaves Bogosian (hasn't re-signed yet), Oduya (hasn't played well since he left New Jersey), Antropov, Stuart, Thorburn and prospects.
Besides the fact that none of these alleged players have yet to set foot in, play or even practice in Winnipeg, so if they already want out, they are morons and can go to hell for all I care.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 05:27 PM
buyinnow

I can believe it, with or without McCown's suggestion. A franchise is being moved to our small, cold city. It's not surprising at all that a few players who signed contracts to play in a different city don't want to play here. Expected, unfortunate, but no big deal.

buyinnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

He was making mention of the fact that players were having difficulties finding 'good' paces to live in the city. By 'good' I suppose good by filthy rich nhl player standards I guess. I dunno, maybe he was just full of it too though.

Old
08-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Well we all knew a rumor like this would get started. Surprised it took this long actually.

Edit: FU HF and your stupid loud advertisements hidden at the bottom of every page.

Last edited by Lynk: 08-05-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
I didn't hear McCown's exact quote and how it was framed, so I'm going to keep the flamethrowers away for now...

Basically, this is an absolute non-story. Just think about it, there are several NHL teams that probably have AT LEAST 2 or 3 players wanting out. And by several, I mean more than half the league. And it can be for myriad reasons; icetime, unhappiness with current contract, the coaching staff, wanting a change of scenery, wanting a chance at a Stanley Cup, etc. If McCown were to say "three current Dallas Stars players want out", you would hear yawns (not to mention turning of radio dials) from St. John's to Victoria. Big freaking whoop. But because there's this ridiculous built-in stigma that Winnipeg is an undesirable destination, he has everyone listening.

But hey, that's a great tactic if you're a radio entertainer. Just look, he's got people starting a thread and mentioning his name.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 05:33 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fehr Time View Post
He was making mention of the fact that players were having difficulties finding 'good' paces to live in the city. By 'good' I suppose good by filthy rich nhl player standards I guess. I dunno, maybe he was just full of it too though.
NHL players are in their cities for like 50% of the time and then go somewhere else in the offseason, it's not a huge deal. I'm sure they could find some really good houses for sale in suburban areas if they can't find any within the city.

I'm pretty sure any player wanting out isn't a "core" player anyway.. so I don't really care.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

FWIW no media person just makes up a story. He got it from somewhere. Some rumours are true and some are false. When a franchise moves there are always some players who would prefer a trade. So I am not shocked.

Hollywood3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Wpg Jets Fan

If Bob would take off his sun glasses in the studio I might be inclined to take him serious.

Wpg Jets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 06:07 PM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Besides the fact that none of these alleged players have yet to set foot in, play or even practice in Winnipeg, so if they already want out, they are morons and can go to hell for all I care.
Moderator that is harsh. We don't wish anything that mean on anyone. Let alone hockey players. Check yourself!

Mmmmhmmm.

*snap snap snap*

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Joe Hallenback

LOL Bob McCowan

sorry but that is all I can say

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

I've never been a fan of McCown. He just annoys me to listen to/watch.

Seriously though, take off the ****ing sunglasses indoors you tool.

08-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Wpg Jets Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I've never been a fan of McCown. He just annoys me to listen to/watch.

Seriously though, take off the ****ing sunglasses indoors you tool.
I made a sunglass reference a few post ago. And I had no comment, I thought maybe I just dissed a blind guy, lol I was waiting for my displine from a mod.lol

Wpg Jets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 06:22 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fehr Time View Post
He just said this a few minutes ago on the Fan 590. He claimed that three current Jets players are basically doing awhatever they can to get traded out of Winnipeg. Anybody in Jetsville here of this?
And there has to be at least 6 players want out of Toronto.... wait until the season starts, and that number will grow to 16.....

Radio guy who has a few agents as contacts, no biggie, there is always a couple of guys who want out...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote