HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Del Zotto learning to fight

Old
08-05-2011, 04:55 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Maybe he should learn how to score first
Handsome young athlete in New York, don't think he'll have too much trouble with that.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 04:58 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post

If MDZ can become a "two-way" player (i fully expect his offense to always be better, but at least adequate D) with grit, that just makes our d-corp so much better.
I would rather he learn how to play that 2 on 2 so the opposing player isn't in front of the net all alone...but that's just me.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Handsome young athlete in New York, don't think he'll have too much trouble with that.
I was thinking more along the lines of scoring on big masked men, rather than fine young ladies, but that works too

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 05:02 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
I would rather he learn how to play that 2 on 2 so the opposing player isn't in front of the net all alone...but that's just me.
Don't really see what you want MDZ to do there, or what he CAN do there, other than lay the body on Kovy while he's passing to Elias.

Old
08-05-2011, 05:08 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Don't really see what you want MDZ to do there, or what he CAN do there, other than lay the body on Kovy while he's passing to Elias.
seriously? he should stay on his man and not let him slip behind the play. Kovalchuk was out there all alone. He even pulls up and hits the brakes. There is nothing he can do from where he is especially while stationary.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 05:08 PM
pld459666

Most of fighting is balance anyway. If gets better at staying on his feet then its a win for the rangers.

I agree with Orr, either u know how to fight or u don't.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 05:13 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
seriously? he should stay on his man and not let him slip behind the play. Kovalchuk was out there all alone. He even pulls up and hits the brakes. There is nothing he can do from where he is especially while stationary.
From where he was, there was no way he was going to stop Kovalchuk from getting behind the play without taking a penalty. He should've stayed with him but he's not getting there in time to stop a thing with the way Kovalchuk just worms through the huge space between him and DG. Not to mention Girardi could've done something as well since it does look like a miscue with them both on Elias.

Old
08-05-2011, 05:19 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Its a 2 on 2 you play man to man, after Kovy makes the pass one of the Dmen have to say with him, you can't let any player be all alone in front like that. Instead of stopping, and you can clearly see him put the brakes on in the video, either MDZ or Girardi have to stay with the guy driving to the net, both dmen were at the faceoff dot when Elias takes the shot from the top of the circle, Kovy is all alone for a rebound try.

It's great that he took him out but I would rather he be tying Kovy up so he doesn't get a rebound chance.

Old
08-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
This

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 05:22 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Its a 2 on 2 you play man to man, after Kovy makes the pass one of the Dmen have to say with him, you can't let any player be all alone in front like that. Instead of stopping, and you can clearly see him put the brakes on in the video, either MDZ or Girardi have to stay with the guy driving to the net, both dmen were at the faceoff dot when Elias takes the shot from the top of the circle, Kovy is all alone for a rebound try.

It's great that he took him out but I would rather he be tying Kovy up so he doesn't get a rebound chance.
I agree he could've played it better but the way it ends up playing out, by the time Kovy's going through the hole MDZ's not going to really be able to do anything to stop the short rebound/attempted stuff by Kovalchuk, and again I also think it's a possibility Girardi and MDZ got their wires crossed because they're both on Elias. To me that's less of a "being unable to play defense" and more of a rookie mistake.

Old
08-05-2011, 05:34 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
I agree he could've played it better but the way it ends up playing out, by the time Kovy's going through the hole MDZ's not going to really be able to do anything to stop the short rebound/attempted stuff by Kovalchuk, and again I also think it's a possibility Girardi and MDZ got their wires crossed because they're both on Elias. To me that's less of a "being unable to play defense" and more of a rookie mistake.
I think if he uses his momentum and goes with Kovy as he splits the 2 dmen he is close enough to lift his stick or get his body on him before he can get to the rebound...once both dmen stop there is nothing they can do being flatfooted.

Old
08-05-2011, 05:40 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
IMO, Girardi has the shooter. MDZ hits the brakes, God knows why, -> Kovalchuk gets away from. If he ignores the drop pass, let's Girardi take his man, sticks with his man, he's at least in range to get a stick on Kovalchuk's stick and prevent a scoring op. Then he can dump Kovy as well. I just don't know why you are making excuses for him on a play he so obviously and unequivocally botched. Stick to your man on a 2-on-2 is pretty straight forward.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 05:50 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
IMO, Girardi has the shooter. MDZ hits the brakes, God knows why, -> Kovalchuk gets away from. If he ignores the drop pass, let's Girardi take his man, sticks with his man, he's at least in range to get a stick on Kovalchuk's stick and prevent a scoring op. Then he can dump Kovy as well. I just don't know why you are making excuses for him on a play he so obviously and unequivocally botched. Stick to your man on a 2-on-2 is pretty straight forward.

Because that wasn't an example of not being able to play defense, which is what the grand scheme of this thread is about, it was a rookie mistake. He messed up the play but Kovalchuk is a fantastic skater and was able to prey on his inexperience.

And looking at the play again, it looks more like Hank had the puck and Kovalchuk brute forced Hank's pads and not the puck itself. He hardly, if ever, has his stick on the puck. I'm defending him because it's an example of a play where an elite veteran was able to use his superior skating to split the d-men and take advantage of a rookie, not where the rookie makes a horrendous mistake like some people try to make MDZ's entire time in the defensive zone out to be.

Really i'm playing devil's advocate because it was a sweet dump. But I honestly don't think it was such a horrendous mistake. Bad move? Sure, he could've played it better. But I think a lot of the "well he should learn how to play defense before he does anything!" comments come from his lack of offense this year and not his actual defensive inefficiencies.

Old
08-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
No one complains when Crosby M.Richards, Ovechkin or chara drop the gloves...
Pens and Caps fans definitely don't approve of Crosby or Ovechkin getting into fights. Chara is 9 feet tall, and Flyers fans probably did complain every time Mike Richards got whooped by Dubinsky.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 07:12 PM
Chief

64 posts and no one has mentioned Youngblood?????

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 07:38 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

there isnt a player on this roster that has more to lose this season than mdz. hes under some pressure to produce.

learning how to fight has nothing to do with his success. nada. zip. zero.

dude should focus and execute this season starting the first day of camp. if he steps up and we have him and erixon both who can play some offense from the blueline, we could have quite the dangerous pp with br19 running the show.

michael needs to step up bigtime. fighting or learning how to fight shouldnt even be on his radar.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 08:59 PM
BluelineHammer

I don't know why everyone is going so crazy about this:

First, MDZ is not becoming a fighter, nor is he planning to fight more often, he is just adding more skills and knowledge to becoming a more complete player. What if Kovalchuk gets up on that play and goes to drop the gloves with him? What do you want MDZ to do, turtle? Or get beat up? Let him stand up for himself, he's a grown man.

Second, not so long ago we were all preaching that this group of guys needed to get team tough. But now that one of the guys is doing exactly that, why are so many crying about it?

And third and probably most important, what does learning how to fight have to do with playing defense? It's not one or the other, he can learn to do both, so why are there people saying he should learn to play defense and stop trying to learn to fight, why can't he do both?

BluelineHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 09:02 PM
E Nixson