HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is Alex Burrows Overrated?

Old
08-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Bank Shot

vCash: 500
He's a good player. Whether he is overrated or not is pretty subjective. When a top ten rw post pops up and people put him in that group, they are overrating him. If someone says he is a plug that Is only good because of the sedins then he is being underrated. He's a good support player with an A+ contract. Everyone but Canucks fans will remember him as the biter though. He'd have more fans if he was a better person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keslehr View Post
Very inaccurate

In 20 years Canucks fans will remember him for the Game 7 OT Goal versus Chicago.

Burrows isn't overrated. He's a great player, signed to a great contract and he can play an offensive or checking role. He also can pot 30ish goals a season.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 09:05 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
He's a good player. Whether he is overrated or not is pretty subjective. When a top ten rw post pops up and people put him in that group, they are overrating him. If someone says he is a plug that Is only good because of the sedins then he is being underrated. He's a good support player with an A+ contract. Everyone but Canucks fans will remember him as the biter though. He'd have more fans if he was a better person.
Burrows not a good person? On the ice he's a *****, but unlike some players (*cough* Avery) he keeps it ON the ice.

But go ahead and question the character of someone who turned down a nice contract for the good of the team.

chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 09:08 PM
the beat
cursum perficio

Not that I think correcting grammar isn't slightly pretentious, but come on people, we're adults on this site, we should be able to spell correctly and use proper grammar; if not for the sake of everyone reading it, at least do it for yourself so you don't look the art of written communication is too much for you to comprehend. It just makes it annoying to read when we have people typing with elementary school grammar skills.

On topic, people that hate Burrows will remember the bite, people that like Burrows or the Canucks will remember his two epic OT goals, plus all the other good stuff that he's done for the team. That's just the way it works. No way he's overrated though. He never even gets any praise on this forum, how could he possibly be overrated?

the beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 09:09 PM
nitric
German Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
The "elitist" attack. The first line of defense of people who can't spell.

What's so wrong about caring for spelling and grammar, or to have enough self-respect to care about writing properly?

So now I have no self respect? Because I made a grammar error on a hockey forum?

Let me tell you that people take different paths in life after school. I chose to be a PICU nurse where everything we write is in shorthand and abbreviations. I never am able to brush up on my grammar, in fact it is fast fading from my mind. I apologize.
But we all have unique skill sets. When I have a really sick kid, I am sure they are glad that I know how to run their ECMO unit, and are not concerned that I don't have very good grammer.

nitric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 09:09 PM
thenextone

How is he overrated? He's never mentioned in any kind of thread involving the top wingers in the game.

He's painted as a grinder/pest who dives and gets into trouble with the refs. In reality he's a 30 goal winger who gets no PP time, plays PK, 5 on 5, 4 on 4, has a decent shot and passing ability, wins puck battles and makes only $2MM yearly. I can think of a lot of players in the game who bring much less than Burrows and make significantly more money.

The only thing overrated about Alex Burrows on HFboards is hearing how much he sucks.

thenextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 09:10 PM
nitric
German Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beat View Post
Not that I think correcting grammar isn't slightly pretentious, but come on people, we're adults on this site, we should be able to spell correctly and use proper grammar; if not for the sake of everyone reading it, at least do it for yourself so you don't look the art of written communication is too much for you to comprehend. It just makes it annoying to read when we have people typing with elementary school grammar skills.

On topic, people that hate Burrows will remember the bite, people that like Burrows or the Canucks will remember his two epic OT goals, plus all the other good stuff that he's done for the team. That's just the way it works. No way he's overrated though. He never even gets any praise on this forum, how could he possibly be overrated?
Really? REALLY? Saying "Canuck's" instead of "Canucks" by accident is elementary and annoying? Geez, am I glad I am not friends with any of you squares in real life. Lighten up.

Not to mention, that one one giant run on sentence. And you were missing a few words.

Old
08-05-2011, 09:10 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextone View Post
How is he overrated? He's never mentioned in any kind of thread involving the top wingers in the game.

He's painted as a grinder/pest who dives and gets into trouble with the refs. In reality he's a 30 goal winger who gets no PP time, plays PK, 5 on 5, 4 on 4, has a decent shot and passing ability, wins puck battles and makes only $2MM yearly. I can think of a lot of players in the game who bring much less than Burrows and make significantly more money.

The only thing overrated about Alex Burrows on HFboards is hearing how much he sucks.
He's only 30 goals with the Sedins.

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 09:12 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich0591 View Post
And the Sedins are only 100 point scorers with Burrows. Can't fault the guy for having good chemistry with them. Look up Naslund's numbers with the Sedins (they're not any better).

Old
08-05-2011, 09:14 PM
the beat
cursum perficio

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandBrownBear View Post
Really? REALLY? Saying "Canuck's" instead of "Canucks" by accident is elementary and annoying? Geez, am I glad I am not friends with any of you squares in real life. Lighten up.
Yes, whenever people miss an apostrophe I punch a hole in the wall. And you're right, you wouldn't want me as a friend, all four of my sides are equal, and sometimes I kill the people close to me.

Old
08-05-2011, 09:16 PM
thenextone

Quote:
I wish we could link the threads that talk about how "Henrik is only good because of Daniel" and "Daniel only gets points because he plays with Henrik" with the "Burrows only scores 30 with the Sedins"

It's probably the same group of guys making the circular argument.

I'm not saying Burrows is a goal scorer, but the guy has brains and decent hands that allow him to play with the Twins. Plenty of players have played their wing and only two guys have had any success. And only one of them actually made the Sedins better players.

thenextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 09:18 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandBrownBear View Post

Not to mention, that one one giant run on sentence. And you were missing a few words.
If it was an accident, you just say so instead of using a word that, in your mind, was an insult.

It's the polite, adult thing to do.

And yes, Burrows is a biter, but he's also a very good, annoying two-way player.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 09:19 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
It takes a special player to be able to put up 30 goals no matter who he plays with. Burrows is a solid 2nd/3rd line player who can PK and has developed some great chemistry with the Sedins. If you think he is anything more than that, than yes you are overrating him, but I haven't seen many who think that.

crazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 09:20 PM
nitric
German Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
If it was an accident, you just say so instead of using a word that, in your mind, was an insult.

It's the polite, adult thing to do.

And yes, Burrows is a biter, but he's also a very good, annoying two-way player.
That wasn't a reply to you. That was a reply to another poster.

Old
TOML

$2mil

Not bad.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Flyerfan808

Let's turn this topic into a spelling bee instead?

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 09:22 PM
the beat
cursum perficio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
Grow the **** up. Honestly.

Old
08-05-2011, 09:23 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_word_in_English

Edit: Found the best name for a landmark:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taumata...enuakitanatahu

Oh my...

Old
08-05-2011, 09:26 PM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanchion for MVP View Post
Burrows not a good person? On the ice he's a *****, but unlike some players (*cough* Avery) he keeps it ON the ice.

But go ahead and question the character of someone who turned down a nice contract for the good of the team.
Well he also had an incident crosschecking some guy in the face during rec ball hockey. There are a lot of guys that are well behaved on and off the ice and burrows isn't one of them.

As for turning down a big contract? It didn't happen like that. The guy was having his first decent offensive season and was obviously looking to cash in on sone long term security.

I doubt even burrows' mom thought he would put up 17 points in the final 19 games of the season after signing his extension.

Old
08-05-2011, 09:29 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Quote:
Well he also had an incident crosschecking some guy in the face during rec ball hockey. There are a lot of guys that are well behaved on and off the ice and burrows isn't one of them.

As for turning down a big contract? It didn't happen like that. The guy was having his first decent offensive season and was obviously looking to cash in on sone long term security.

I doubt even burrows' mom thought he would put up 17 points in the final 19 games of the season after signing his extension.
And rumour has it the guy he crosschecked insulted Luc Bourdon. Yeah, Burrows crosschecked him, but I really doubt most people would be able to hold back if he insults your dead best friend.

And I worded the contract bit wrong. He didn't ask for anything more. He took what the team offered him because, paraphrasing.. "I know my role on the team and I'm happy to take whatever the team feels I'm worth". He wasn't looking to cash in. He was looking to stay in the league.

Old
08-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 3498
Quote:
I cross-checked a guy in the face during a ball hockey game. Then I beat the crap out of him too. I'd also bite the finger of a guy who stuck his finger in my mouth in the middle of a scrum. Yet most people think I'm a pretty good person.

08-05-2011, 09:41 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

I dont think he's a bad player but I don't think he's a regular 30 goal scorer. 2nd/3rd line checking forward with scoring ability is how I view him.

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 09:49 PM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
I cross-checked a guy in the face during a ball hockey game. Then I beat the crap out of him too. I'd also bite the finger of a guy who stuck his finger in my mouth in the middle of a scrum. Yet most people think I'm a pretty good person.
Just less good then other people who don't do those things.

Old
08-05-2011, 09:59 PM
Bathcat
Wait, it was ATL?

Making basic English errors is a great way to come off as a dunderhead. Even on a forum.

Especially contractions. They're one of the easiest things to understand in the English language. That's like mistaking 2+2=1 instead of 4. Derp.

Bathcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 10:09 PM
the beat
cursum perficio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkatersGonnaSkate View Post
Making basic English errors is a great way to come off as a dunderhead. Even on a forum.

Especially contractions. They're one of the easiest things to understand in the English language. That's like mistaking 2+2=1 instead of 4. Derp.
Agreed. Than again maybe Im just won of those elitists who know's grammar good.

Old
08-05-2011, 10:12 PM
Megan Fox
ლ(◉◞౪◟◉ )ლ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placebo Effect View Post
Sabres fan making a thread about a Canuck player being overrated. Trying to take the heat off your team after they were getting overrated? And using a Bruins fan for an opinion.

Definitely not a troll thread
/sarcasm
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonRodin View Post
I'm not sure why you're not surprised.
I'm a Leafs fan and I think Burrows is very overrated by Nucks fans.

Megan Fox is offline   Reply With Quote