Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bob McCown - "Three current Winnipeg Jets players want out"

Old
08-05-2011, 07:29 PM
White Noise

vCash: 500
There is only one thing that can be done now that a lowly pundit has made a subjective statement.

Time to start a Save the Moose campaign.

-37-

White Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Trizent

Realistically, there are 3 players or more on every team that probably would want out for a variety of reasons - coach friction, not feeling they have been/will be given a fair opportunity, family stuff, they are too low on depth chart, etc.

No need to get defensive. I am sure it is true for many teams, perhaps including yours.

Trizent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Until the Cow can provide us with some hard evidence of this "claim", then it is nothing more than an asswipe looking for attention in "hockey jilted" Southern Ontario.

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 07:39 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
Just for laughs, who could these players be?

-not Ladd or Wheeler, both just re-signed with us.
-not Kane, Mason, Byfuglien, Pavelec, Enstrom, Stapleton, Burmistrov, Slater, Hainsey or Cormier, who have all publicly commented positively/favorably to the prospect of playing in Winnipeg.
-not Fehr or Gregoire, because they're Winnipeggers.

That leaves Bogosian (hasn't re-signed yet), Oduya (hasn't played well since he left New Jersey), Antropov, Stuart, Thorburn and prospects.
Stuart is on Twitter and his profile pic is the new Jets logos. Doubt it would be him either.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I didn't hear McCown's exact quote and how it was framed, so I'm going to keep the flamethrowers away for now...

Basically, this is an absolute non-story. Just think about it, there are several NHL teams that probably have AT LEAST 2 or 3 players wanting out. And by several, I mean more than half the league. And it can be for myriad reasons; icetime, unhappiness with current contract, the coaching staff, wanting a change of scenery, wanting a chance at a Stanley Cup, etc. If McCown were to say "three current Dallas Stars players want out", you would hear yawns (not to mention turning of radio dials) from St. John's to Victoria. Big freaking whoop. But because there's this ridiculous built-in stigma that Winnipeg is an undesirable destination, he has everyone listening.

But hey, that's a great tactic if you're a radio entertainer. Just look, he's got people starting a thread and mentioning his name.

I was about to post the same.

Every year, a teams roster is changed.

If these players want out, I am happy to show them the door.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 07:47 PM
The Fat Kid
1999-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Besides the fact that none of these alleged players have yet to set foot in, play or even practice in Winnipeg, so if they already want out, they are morons and can go to hell for all I care.
wow... you'd take it as such a slight that someone doesn't want to play in your city? even if it's true, you don't know their reasoning. they're ****ing adults and have the right to chose where they want to live/work

i understand the wanting out before giving it a shot thing but there's a million different reasons a player would want a trade

Last edited by The Fat Kid: 08-05-2011 at 07:53 PM.
The Fat Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 07:55 PM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
I was about to post the same.

Every year, a teams roster is changed.

If these players want out, I am happy to show them the door.
Okay Mr. Chipman and co.

heh

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 07:56 PM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Kid View Post
wow... you'd take it as such a slight that someone doesn't want to play in your city? even if it's true, you don't know their reasoning. they're ****ing adults and have the right to chose where they want to live/work

i understand the wanting out before giving it a shot thing but there's a million different reasons a player would want a trade
Yes, Jet has some wickedly strong opinions today.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Jet Oil

Quote:

While i agree with you to a certain extent. Players should understand that they aren't necessarily going to be able to choose where to live/work if they become professional athletes. It's a business, and unless a NMC is worked into their contract, they will go where the NHL sends them.

Jet Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:

You sound like you really hope this to be true. If this were about someone saying or on this case, "potentially" saying something bad about Atlanta, would you support it as well?

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

I don't take what McCown says seriously. He's an entertainer with a radio show...he's supposed to entertain. McCown is like wrestling. Both are somewhat realistic, but scripted for entertainment value.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 09:05 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient kids

Quote:
Please, I encourage you to find me something that jackass has said that is positive about Winnipeg. The golden horseshoe is the only thing he ever talks about in a positive way.
No, he hates Hamilton too.

I listen to PTS religiously via podcast and haven't missed a show in about 2 years. He's pretty Toronto-centric. He actually did his show from the Vancouver Olympics last winter and they had to almost kidnap him to get him out of Toronto.

He's mentioned several times that he's never been to Winnipeg. Prior to the May 31 announcement, he's always been adamant that Wpg could not support NHL hockey for more than a couple of years. He's been somewhat more positive about Winnipeg's return to the NHL since then. It does seem like he has some friends within the inner circles of the NHL, but he's really not a hockey guy (baseball is his #1 sport), so he doesn't make too many rash statements about hockey things that he says that he has heard. I haven't listened to today's podcast yet, but it sort of surprises me that he's said what he did today.

AndersUlfBobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 09:08 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient kids

Quote:
That leaves Bogosian (hasn't re-signed yet), Oduya (hasn't played well since he left New Jersey), Antropov, Stuart, Thorburn and prospects.
No, I think it's Stewart, Dovark and Boulton

Last edited by AndersUlfBobby: 08-05-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old
08-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Cooperalls
Oiler Fan!!!

Whatever. There's players that want out of EVERY city for one reason or another all the time. There could very well be 3 players that don't want anything to do with the city of Winnipeg. Who cares.

This offseason, Ryan Smyth asked to take his family back to Alberta, from Los Angeles. Is this proof that the city of Edmonton is better then L.A.? No, it's just one human being wanting to live somewhere else.

Please fellow Winnipegers, don't get butt hurt if someone doesn't want to live here. It's not for everyone, just like L.A., New York, Toronto, etc isn't for everyone.

Cooperalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 09:10 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Just for laughs, who could these players be?

-not Ladd or Wheeler, both just re-signed with us.
-not Kane, Mason, Byfuglien, Pavelec, Enstrom, Stapleton, Burmistrov, Slater, Hainsey or Cormier, who have all publicly commented positively/favorably to the prospect of playing in Winnipeg.
-not Fehr or Gregoire, because they're Winnipeggers.

chris thorburn has a home in atlanta and probably, other than boulton, was the most "out-and-about" Thrasher around the city.

it wouldn't surprise me if he's still a little cross having to move across the continent, but then again, he's a good guy.

I don't know who Bob McCown is, but from what he's said and the responses I'm assuming it's someone I really shouldn't care about.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 09:14 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg Jets Fan View Post
If Bob would take off his sun glasses in the studio I might be inclined to take him serious.
Apparently he wears them because if he didn't, he would get headaches from the tv lights when the show if broadcast on tv.

Old
08-05-2011, 09:26 PM
Mungman
It's you not me.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by transcend View Post
I'm assuming it's someone I really shouldn't care about.
you are correct sir...

Mungman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
You sound like you really hope this to be true. If this were about someone saying or on this case, "potentially" saying something bad about Atlanta, would you support it as well?
no player ever said anything bad about atlanta. they said a ton of bad things about the team/organization, but not the city.

i'm willing to bet it's the same here. these supposed three players probably wanted out of atlanta as well, it's the team they have a problem with, or something true north has done since they bought the team. it probably has nothing to do with the city itself.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 11:09 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

McCowns pretty much a knob.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 11:12 PM
jetster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersUlfBobby View Post
Apparently he wears them because if he didn't, he would get headaches from the tv lights when the show if broadcast on tv.
lawl lawl lawl

jetster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 11:19 PM
ATLhockey437

Quote:
Besides the fact that none of these alleged players have yet to set foot in, play or even practice in Winnipeg, so if they already want out, they are morons and can go to hell for all I care.
Thats a really harsh and classless thing to say, especially as a moderator. All over a bunch of rumors and your wishing that potentially some players on your team now to go to hell? Just be glad you at least have a team. Even if this was true, last time I checked, it wasn't in these players power about the move so I guess lets send them to the gates of hell for not being the most excited about it.

ATLhockey437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 11:29 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLhockey437 View Post
Thats a really harsh and classless thing to say, especially as a moderator. All over a bunch of rumors and your wishing that potentially some players on your team now to go to hell? Just be glad you at least have a team. Even if this was true, last time I checked, it wasn't in these players power about the move so I guess lets send them to the gates of hell for not being the most excited about it.
I don't want to speak for anyone else however I think I know where Jet was going with his post.
If a player wants out of Winnipeg because the team is located in Winnipeg (which is how I understood the statement) then I think his statement is accurate. We want players who want to be here, I don't want a player who is coming in with such a negative preconception of winnipeg that he'd want out before engaging in team activities and experiences the new culture.
TNSE understands there could be issues in attracting player to Winnipeg but why keep players around that have no desire to see the city and the ownership before wanting out? These are not the high character people we want on our team. IMO.

Also I don't think being a moderator prohibits him from having an opinion. He post wasn't anything ridiculous

wpgsilver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 11:31 PM
CdnBison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fehr Time View Post
He was making mention of the fact that players were having difficulties finding 'good' paces to live in the city. By 'good' I suppose good by filthy rich nhl player standards I guess. I dunno, maybe he was just full of it too though.
I'd love to hear their definition of 'good' then, as I live in Linden Woods, and just did a drive through South Point and Royalwood today - not like there aren't houses available...

CdnBison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 11:42 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
Moderator that is harsh. We don't wish anything that mean on anyone. Let alone hockey players. Check yourself!

Mmmmhmmm.

*snap snap snap*
Honestly, what I said was a little harsh (Thanks PensFan for keeping me real). However, I have heard people bash MY city for years and years and I am sick of it.

This city has the NHL back, the NUMBER 1 team in the CFL, is in the middle of the best summer in the entire history of the planet as we know it, in a construction/ renewal boon (especially DT) and has the most urban parkland per capita in North America.

95% of people who say negative stuff about this city have no idea what they are talking about.

/rant

08-06-2011, 12:51 AM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Honestly, what I said was a little harsh (Thanks PensFan for keeping me real). However, I have heard people bash MY city for years and years and I am sick of it.

This city has the NHL back, the NUMBER 1 team in the CFL, is in the middle of the best summer in the entire history of the planet as we know it, in a construction/ renewal boon (especially DT) and has the most urban parkland per capita in North America.

95% of people who say negative stuff about this city have no idea what they are talking about.

/rant
i can understand this. we lived with it too here. you're going to have to deal with it though as no matter how many times you wage the battle it isn't going to be won.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote