HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Kondratiev a Lock in the Rangers Lineup Opening Night?

View Poll Results: Drats a Lock?
Yes 49 65.33%
No 26 34.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2005, 12:56 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
BigE....

I agree with all that, but I'm of the opinion that 'Drats is the front runner and has to lose the spot, as opposed to others who have to really outplay him significantly to win the spot. I believe it's because of play over the last couple seasons, as opposed to the couple preseason games. 'Drats is the only one in the last game who had a real shot. First, he played with the game's only vet, save Strudwick. Second, he got significant PP duty with Jagr. Third, given that the B's dressed an AHL team with one NHL line, 'Drats is the only one that actually faced NHL competition, and the others had a relatively easier time, seemingly because the Rangers staff want to see 'Drats in there.

One more year wouldn't hurt 'Drats, although he's played the better part of four seasons in the RSL, played a bit in the NHL, and a bit in the AHL, and supposedly played well in each of the past two seasons, including coming close to making the Leafs team a couple seasons ago. We'll see what the next games bring but I honestly think none of Pock, Rullier or Lampman bring anything better.

Old
09-27-2005, 01:23 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
I know you like to pick the young d-men to beat your "play the youth" drum to but what exactly has Lampman done that impresses you so much?
It is not that Lampman has done something that stands out or does not stand out. I liked what I saw from him last year. I was under the impression that he had a good camp. One bad game in preseason cannot be used to judge someone who is old enough to be in the league, IMO. Especially when the vet in question (with whom Lampman is supposedly competing) is doing no better.

" You can debate Malik's salary w/o a doubt but what isn't in dispute is that he, despite all his shortcomings has proven that he is an NHL d-man who can eat up 20+ minutes a night, will get you 20 points and has had great +/- numbers that far exceeded his partner Jovo in Vancouver so the guy is a legit, servicable dman at this point and if you asked 30 GM's who they'd take in their top 6---Lampman or Malik it would be a 30-0 response in Malik's favor."

Saying that Malik has proved that he is an NHL defenseman is masking his worth. Has he proven that he can play at the NHL level? Yes. However, has he shown ANYTHING that makes me think that he is a top 4? Absolutely not. Not from what I have seen of his game and not from the 'Nucks fans who think he is no better than a #6/7. And if that is what he is, then, IMO, he is no better than Lampman. And, pointing to +/- as some kind of evidence that he is a credible, good defenseman is a leaky argument. As you well know JR, the +/- stat is very subjective. It is absolutely no indicator that he is a good player. Lest we all forget that Ulanov was leading the Rangers for most of the year in that wonderfull statistic. Malik brings NOTHING to the table that a younger, cheaper alternative cannot bring. NOTHING. Remember, we are talking about a #6/7 guy. IMO, Lampman can also be that guy and he does not cost nearly as much.

" I have zero problem playing a young kid even if he takes time away from a vet who at this point is a better player but the key is that the young player has to display the upside to justify doing such a thing and to me Lampman passeses very little upside and isn't one of the guys I'd put into the catergory of fitting the above description."

You say that the younger guy has to display that he can be better, but doesn't the vet actually have to show that he is better? This IS a rebuilding team, right? If on a rebuilding team, a vet does no better than a youngster, why is it that the vet should be granted access to a starting spot?

Old
09-27-2005, 01:39 PM
Fletch

I too wouldn't judge...

Lampman on one bad preseason game, but I think in the end, if he gets another chance, he'll have to blow them away to win a spot. The only reason I say this is because I think he came into this around 9 or 10 on the depth chart. I assume Renney looks at the preseason schedules and makes a guess as to who other teams will play. The Isles at home against the Rangers one would think a lot of starter would play. The Bruins in New York playing their fifth game, and on consecutive nights, will likely showcase few stars. 'Drats and Kaspar get the call to go against the only NHL line, and Lampman's there for the rest, because, again, 'Drats is getting the look. Lampman doesn't impress against the AHLer...does he get a real second chance? That's the way I'm thinking it's being looked at.

Old
09-27-2005, 02:06 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
It is not that Lampman has done something that stands out or does not stand out. I liked what I saw from him last year. I was under the impression that he had a good camp. One bad game in preseason cannot be used to judge someone who is old enough to be in the league, IMO. Especially when the vet in question (with whom Lampman is supposedly competing) is doing no better.

" You can debate Malik's salary w/o a doubt but what isn't in dispute is that he, despite all his shortcomings has proven that he is an NHL d-man who can eat up 20+ minutes a night, will get you 20 points and has had great +/- numbers that far exceeded his partner Jovo in Vancouver so the guy is a legit, servicable dman at this point and if you asked 30 GM's who they'd take in their top 6---Lampman or Malik it would be a 30-0 response in Malik's favor."

Saying that Malik has proved that he is an NHL defenseman is masking his worth. Has he proven that he can play at the NHL level? Yes. However, has he shown ANYTHING that makes me think that he is a top 4? Absolutely not. Not from what I have seen of his game and not from the 'Nucks fans who think he is no better than a #6/7. And if that is what he is, then, IMO, he is no better than Lampman. And, pointing to +/- as some kind of evidence that he is a credible, good defenseman is a leaky argument. As you well know JR, the +/- stat is very subjective. It is absolutely no indicator that he is a good player. Lest we all forget that Ulanov was leading the Rangers for most of the year in that wonderfull statistic. Malik brings NOTHING to the table that a younger, cheaper alternative cannot bring. NOTHING. Remember, we are talking about a #6/7 guy. IMO, Lampman can also be that guy and he does not cost nearly as much.

" I have zero problem playing a young kid even if he takes time away from a vet who at this point is a better player but the key is that the young player has to display the upside to justify doing such a thing and to me Lampman passeses very little upside and isn't one of the guys I'd put into the catergory of fitting the above description."

You say that the younger guy has to display that he can be better, but doesn't the vet actually have to show that he is better? This IS a rebuilding team, right? If on a rebuilding team, a vet does no better than a youngster, why is it that the vet should be granted access to a starting spot?

Malik's only a 6 or 7 dman TB???

C'mon, how many 6th/7th dmen eat up 20+ minutes a night on a contending team, gets you 20pts consistently each yr and while being no bruiser uses his 6'5 frame to get the job done adequately in his own end?

I'm not trying to hype him up as he has obvious shortcomings but to try and paint him as a 6th/7th dman and one who Lampman is on par with is just not accurate at all.

To me a guy like Pock and Drats should play over some of the vets even if their play isn't at a higher level that the vets because they possess the upside but a guy like Lampman just to me doesn't make me feel any special need to make a spot for him if he's not demanding that spot with his play because he has limited upside.

Old
09-27-2005, 02:21 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
Malik's only a 6 or 7 dman TB???
Honestly, IMO, yes.

"how many 6th/7th dmen eat up 20+ minutes a night on a contending team, gets you 20pts consistently each yr and while being no bruiser uses his 6'5 frame to get the job done adequately in his own end?"

Maybe that is what the problem is here. That is NOT the player that I see (And btw, didn't the DP/Lefebvre debate start out in a similar fashion? ). I am not one of those that thinks that one needs to be a physical mauler to be effective. However, to me, Malik makes Poti look like Foote on certain nights. He shies away from the front of the net and makes no effort whatsoever to clear the crease, either of rebounds or opposing players. I see him as a liability in his own end. But that is just my opinion.

"I'm not trying to hype him up as he has obvious shortcomings but to try and paint him as a 6th/7th dman and one who Lampman is on par with is just not accurate at all."

Then we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think that there is nothing that Malik can do that Lampman cannot. Or let's put it this way, in order for me to agree with you, Malik will have to show something more than Lampman in his next game.

Old
09-27-2005, 02:51 PM
E-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Then we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think that there is nothing that Malik can do that Lampman cannot. Or let's put it this way, in order for me to agree with you, Malik will have to show something more than Lampman in his next game.
Personally, I like Lampman's game but unfortunately, it's becoming obvious that he's the next to go to Hartford no matter how poorly Malik or the others play tonight. It just seems to me that despite the hope I had at the start of camp, nothing has changed. Free agent vets will always play ahead of prospects even if the talent level is a wash.

Old
09-27-2005, 03:12 PM
charliemurphy

I think Kondratiev is a lock to start in the NHL.
The D will have...
Kasparaitis
Kondratiev
Malik
Poti
Rozsival
Tyutin...
with Grenier, Lampman, Pock, Purinton, Rullier, and Strudwick fighting for that last spot. I would like to see Pock make it but i think he'll be in Hartford until someone is moved/dealt.

Old
09-27-2005, 09:45 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
IMO no rookie is a lock. There will be a constant revolving door between Hartford and NY. If you're in NY and not playing well, then there will be someone there ready to take your spot. Additionally players may be shuttled back and forth based on team need as dictated by their opponents in their upcoming schedule.

Old
09-28-2005, 02:57 PM
natureboy*

He better be

Old
09-28-2005, 03:29 PM
Fletch

What does the revolving door...

have to do with opening night? If you asked if he'd be up the entire season, then the answers may've been different. The question was pointed to opening night.

TB...while none of us like Malik, he has been an NHL defenseman for some time now. He has put up decent numbers on good teams, OK points, and good +/-. Stats-wise, we can't take that away from him. Unfortunately he's the player we all hate to have, but the Rangers brass needs to learn the hard way here, and there is no way in heck that a guy's not making trainging camp after the career he's had, and after the contract he signed. No NHL team would be sending him down, IMO. This is all personal opinions aside in regards to what I think of Malik as a player. So 6/7 defenseman is unrealistic - on a good team, he got quality minutes the last several years - on a bad team, one would think he could get quality minutes (I wonder why Vancouver let him go so easily?).

Closed Thread