HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Union Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
07-29-2011, 01:25 PM
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLin View Post
I've seen them and they arent that much better than the current crop.

Gyau: Getting time in the Bundesliga this season at 18 years old. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkCK_pPSkYo

Diskerud: At 21, is headed to the EPL, possibly to Man U. This kid has CL expereiecne as well as 60+ professional caps.

Wood: Getting time in the BL2 this year, if he didn't get hurt in the U-20 WCQ we would've beaten Guatemala.

Gatt: Didn't even go to WCQ, kid is a stud, he's been reccomended by his coach OGS to trial at Man U.

Cunningham: Looks promising as a LB.

Salgado: A lot of pro scouts say he has what it takes to be the best forward prospect we have. He's only 17, but gets time for the Whitecaps.

Lletget: The most intriguing prospect we have, read this from a West Ham fan site after he appeared in a 1st team game last week..."Lleglet (7) - Possibly the only player at the club with genuine technique/creativity in the opposition half. Clever player. I have high hopes. The next Andres Iniesta"

Bijev: Had a tryout with Liverpool, scored 5 goals in one game, signed a 5 year deal for the Reds.

Doyle: One of my favorites, getting time in the Championship for Derby County.

Marc Pelosi: Signed for Liverpool after a good trial as well.

Old
07-29-2011, 10:04 PM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

Finally Klinsmann...

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
07-29-2011, 10:13 PM
KevinLin

Union were **** tonight. LeToux gave away possession on the second goal way too easily and almost led to a 3rd when he gave up possession again.

Cherry on top of the dreadful performance is the one consistent striker the union had is gone.

Ruiz is out.

Need a Striker now...LeToux is not a striker.

Old
07-29-2011, 10:21 PM
KevinLin

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
Gyau: Getting time in the Bundesliga this season at 18 years old. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkCK_pPSkYo

Diskerud: At 21, is headed to the EPL, possibly to Man U. This kid has CL expereiecne as well as 60+ professional caps.

Wood: Getting time in the BL2 this year, if he didn't get hurt in the U-20 WCQ we would've beaten Guatemala.

Gatt: Didn't even go to WCQ, kid is a stud, he's been reccomended by his coach OGS to trial at Man U.

Cunningham: Looks promising as a LB.

Salgado: A lot of pro scouts say he has what it takes to be the best forward prospect we have. He's only 17, but gets time for the Whitecaps.

Lletget: The most intriguing prospect we have, read this from a West Ham fan site after he appeared in a 1st team game last week..."Lleglet (7) - Possibly the only player at the club with genuine technique/creativity in the opposition half. Clever player. I have high hopes. The next Andres Iniesta"

Bijev: Had a tryout with Liverpool, scored 5 goals in one game, signed a 5 year deal for the Reds.

Doyle: One of my favorites, getting time in the Championship for Derby County.

Marc Pelosi: Signed for Liverpool after a good trial as well.
Could really make a list like this of a bunch of guys from 5 years ago or 8 years ago. Plenty of guys have gotten interest from big teams when young but there is a big difference between that and actually competing at the highest level.

Old
07-29-2011, 10:43 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Union were **** tonight. LeToux gave away possession on the second goal way too easily and almost led to a 3rd when he gave up possession again.

Cherry on top of the dreadful performance is the one consistent striker the union had is gone.

Ruiz is out.

Need a Striker now...LeToux is not a striker.
I agree, LeToux was not good tonight, and Williams needs to get his head outta his a$$ ! Having said that, they darn near tied the game in the last few seconds playing a man short.

Old
07-29-2011, 10:57 PM
KevinLin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
I agree, LeToux was not good tonight, and Williams needs to get his head outta his a$$ ! Having said that, they darn near tied the game in the last few seconds playing a man short.
LeToux hasnt been right all year. He's needed to sit for a while now.

Old
07-29-2011, 11:43 PM
GoldBlooded
Doop

Rough game all around... no one was really on their game and they had almost no attack at all. Kept looking for the extra pass instead of taking a shot. Loved to see Torres finally net one after all the missed opportunities he's had... to bad we can't say the same about LeToux

Old
07-29-2011, 11:56 PM
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma

Quote:
Could really make a list like this of a bunch of guys from 5 years ago or 8 years ago. Plenty of guys have gotten interest from big teams when young but there is a big difference between that and actually competing at the highest level.
Most USMNT players we see with the team now all came through the MLS rather than signing with a European team.

Dempsey, Donovan, Bocanegra, Howard, Altidore, Bradley, Edu and Adu all started in the MLS and made there way over to Europe. Yeah there have been a few players that didn't make it at big clubs (Spector, Onyewu, Altidore) but the options are 2x 3x more than 5 years ago.

Old
07-30-2011, 12:19 AM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

vCash: 50
Nowak said after the game that Ruiz is no longer with the team. Article on the Union web site.

Old
07-30-2011, 01:16 PM
KevinLin

Quote:
Most USMNT players we see with the team now all came through the MLS rather than signing with a European team.

Dempsey, Donovan, Bocanegra, Howard, Altidore, Bradley, Edu and Adu all started in the MLS and made there way over to Europe. Yeah there have been a few players that didn't make it at big clubs (Spector, Onyewu, Altidore) but the options are 2x 3x more than 5 years ago.
You lost credibility including altidore after being so high on Mixx. Hardly washed up at 1 year older than Mixx. But anyway there were a lot of players that had trials and etc. before these guys. Also known of the guys you listed anyway are guys who will be dominant on the world level. And thats my point it will be another 10-15 years before the coach of the US MNT really makes a difference.

Also players should be starting in the MLS before they go to europe. That is how you develop players. A strong domestic league that can be a feeder to europe is important. You improve your pool as a whole so dont crap on them because they went to MLS first.

Old
07-30-2011, 06:26 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I never liked Ruiz for some reason.

Old
07-30-2011, 06:29 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
I never liked Ruiz for some reason.

Old
07-30-2011, 11:01 PM
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma

Quote:
You lost credibility including altidore after being so high on Mixx. Hardly washed up at 1 year older than Mixx. But anyway there were a lot of players that had trials and etc. before these guys. Also known of the guys you listed anyway are guys who will be dominant on the world level. And thats my point it will be another 10-15 years before the coach of the US MNT really makes a difference.

Also players should be starting in the MLS before they go to europe. That is how you develop players. A strong domestic league that can be a feeder to europe is important. You improve your pool as a whole so dont crap on them because they went to MLS first.
Since Jozy left the MLS for European glory, he's been on 5 clubs, 3 times on loan.

He's scored what, 3 domestic league goals in Europe? And I think the way to go is sign in Europe first. Were seeing with these younger players, as they come up through the u-20's etc, clubs are more willing to be patient with a certain player (I.E- Cherundolo). Sometimes when players get bought/loaned by a club, (Adu, Altidore, Bradley) they get one/two weeks to prove themselves, if they perform poorly, there is always another option and there stuffed on a long bench. Michael Bradley knows that very well. And for the USMNT to have top 5 every year material, it would help having a strong domestic league, but don't be surprised if we turn into a Uruguay/Ghana type country that doesn't have great depth, but are capable of making a run in the WC.

Also, we will see how an Agudelo or Gyau perform in a big league. In the Emirates cup today, the announcer said that Agudelo is getting major looks in Europe.

Old
07-31-2011, 12:59 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
He seemed sort of pompous and arrogant to me, I don't know why. That and he exaggerated and dove the most of anyone on the team.

Old
08-01-2011, 10:52 AM
KevinLin

Quote:
Since Jozy left the MLS for European glory, he's been on 5 clubs, 3 times on loan.

He's scored what, 3 domestic league goals in Europe? And I think the way to go is sign in Europe first. Were seeing with these younger players, as they come up through the u-20's etc, clubs are more willing to be patient with a certain player (I.E- Cherundolo). Sometimes when players get bought/loaned by a club, (Adu, Altidore, Bradley) they get one/two weeks to prove themselves, if they perform poorly, there is always another option and there stuffed on a long bench. Michael Bradley knows that very well. And for the USMNT to have top 5 every year material, it would help having a strong domestic league, but don't be surprised if we turn into a Uruguay/Ghana type country that doesn't have great depth, but are capable of making a run in the WC.

Also, we will see how an Agudelo or Gyau perform in a big league. In the Emirates cup today, the announcer said that Agudelo is getting major looks in Europe.
On the other hand you have Holden and Dempsey. Guys who wouldnt be where they were without the MLS.

And you want to talk about someone who hasnt scored on the club level...agudelo. While he's scored for the US he hasnt been consistent at all. Way too early for him to leave MLS.

Old
08-01-2011, 11:31 AM
slitz

he isnt even a regular starter for RBNY. if the US wasnt so desperate for an effective striker, he wouldnt even be getting a sniff at USMNT action right now

Old
08-04-2011, 12:39 AM
KevinLin

So Union sucked tonight. But did just think of another guy like Holden benefiting from MLS. Charlie Davies and Sal Zizzo both seem to be reviving their prospects.

Old
08-04-2011, 08:42 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
So Union sucked tonight. But did just think of another guy like Holden benefiting from MLS. Charlie Davies and Sal Zizzo both seem to be reviving their prospects.
I watched some of the game, but it was pretty bad.

What has happened to LeToux this year? Yes, he hustles and gets to a lot of balls, but the Union really need him to score some goals.

Old
08-04-2011, 09:13 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
I watched some of the game, but it was pretty bad.

What has happened to LeToux this year? Yes, he hustles and gets to a lot of balls, but the Union really need him to score some goals.
Aside from Pauvonic's awesome strike, the Union have next to no offense at all. It's so sad.

We need a speedster forward like Oduro and Mwanga is not that guy. They can't sit Le Toux because he is the only one hustling at times, but they can't keep playing him if he isn't producing. 21 games started with 1 goal (off a free kick I think anyway) and 7 assists (not great when he is one of our primary corner guys). He just isn't producing.

We need a DP forward to play with Mwanga so Le Toux can go back to RM. We can't score goals and it's frustrating.

Old
08-04-2011, 01:25 PM
KevinLin

We dont need a speedster. We need someone who can shoot and finish. Or a big hold up target forward. Basically we either need Carlos Ruiz or Someone big who can retain possession. Really miss Ruiz last night as a guy who will SHOOT.

Old
08-04-2011, 02:03 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
We dont need a speedster. We need someone who can shoot and finish. Or a big hold up target forward. Basically we either need Carlos Ruiz or Someone big who can retain possession. Really miss Ruiz last night as a guy who will SHOOT.
I'll settle for someone who will just shoot the ball at this point. It seems that everyone wants to pass and nobody wants to take the shot, even when they have a shooting lane.

LeToux used to shoot the ball and I don't know why he is so relucant to shoot this season. So far this season LeToux has 1 goal (penalty kick), 5 assists and 41 shots in 21 games. Last year he had 14 goals, 10 assists and 77 shots in 28 games. So, just in shots per game, he's down from 2.75 to 1.95.

So forget about Ruiz, I miss the LeToux that used to shoot the ball.

Old
08-05-2011, 02:49 PM
IrishSniper87

Ruiz -> Veracruz (Mexico 2nd Div)

Valdes is no longer on loan. We bought his exclusive rights. Guessing we used the Ruiz money. Awesome.

Old
08-06-2011, 08:57 AM
HFNHL Commish

Send a message via AIM to HFNHL Commish
Getting Valdes locked up is a very good thing, although I have to admit I'm kinda waiting for the other shoe to drop on another signing...

Old
08-06-2011, 01:13 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFNHL Commish View Post
Getting Valdes locked up is a very good thing, although I have to admit I'm kinda waiting for the other shoe to drop on another signing...
I read in the paper that the Union were expected to sign an international forward to replace Ruiz at some point, no word on when.

Old
08-06-2011, 03:31 PM
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma

Quote:
On the other hand you have Holden and Dempsey. Guys who wouldnt be where they were without the MLS.

And you want to talk about someone who hasnt scored on the club level...agudelo. While he's scored for the US he hasnt been consistent at all. Way too early for him to leave MLS.
Trust me, younger soccer players are starting to catch on, there are more US players going through European academies more so now than ever.

Euro academies > MLS academies, by far. I hope Agudelo can latch on at a 4-6 rated league. The Netherlands is a great place to develop young talent, it really is, we will see Altidore with a strong resurgence this year.

Closed Thread